Menu

Messenger bags

Night Elf

My DS11 (5' 3") carries a Cole Haan suede beige messenger bag with leather strap from the guys selection of the Cole Haan store. I carry a Tumi forest green nylon messenger bag which is from the guys department of Tumi but I bought cheaper at Nordstrom. DS10 carries a chocolate brown Fossil leather messenger bag with nylon strap also from the guys section of Fossil store.

Only DS11's bag is thick enough to accomodate a laptop and a binder. Ours accommodate a laptop and a notebook.

No. My DH carries a Timbuk2 messenger bag for his laptop, iPad and accessories every day - in my area, they are very common. http://www.timbuk2.com/messenger-bags

ETA: DS has a messenger bag and uses it for his music books to take to his music classes - it is a Case Logic bag.

Edited by mathnerd

Ok, thanks. We need a bag in a hurry to start with. The zipper on his Jansport backpack keeps getting stuck and he's fed up. We finally had to cut the thing today to get his binders out. I'm going to check at Staples and see what they have. Once we know he likes it, I may get a more expensive one that's durable. He'll be in college for years.

Ds has used a messenger bag since he was 14? 15? though now he uses a backpack in college because it's easier to fit everything he needs.

Staples will probably have laptop bags *not* messenger bags. Imo, a laptop bag will look corporate and older not collegiate. (In case that matters)

Depending on how much he needs to carry, a backpack might still be the way to go.

Ok, thanks. We need a bag in a hurry to start with. The zipper on his Jansport backpack keeps getting stuck and he's fed up. We finally had to cut the thing today to get his binders out. I'm going to check at Staples and see what they have. Once we know he likes it, I may get a more expensive one that's durable. He'll be in college for years.

http://www.jansport.com/customer-service/lifetime-warranty.html

Check TJMaxx and Marshalls. I've gotten DH a Timbuk2 bag there, and they are really good quality. REI might have some good-quality options too. 

Edited by zoobie

I would think the ones that are a cross between a backpack and a messenger bag would be more useful.  and for lugging it across campus- a backpack would do a better job distributing weight.

a durable bullet-type nylon would probably be fine.  I don't think they're girly, and you do see guys in that age range hauling them on campuses.

My boys use messenger bags.

I've always seen them as more masculine.

Interesting.

So have I.  Because of boobs  :lol: .

That said, my ex-husband would rather hand-carry everything than use a messenger bag. Our high school sons use them regularly, as do my brothers.  But it's not uncommon where we're from, either originally (culturally) or currently (region of the US). It wasn't seen at all in the part of the US my ex-husband grew up. 

To add more since I'm on my laptop. I looked at a ton a messenger bags and own more than one. 

There are so many, it's better to define your needs and look for those features while shopping.

Material: canvas or not? I see men carrying more canvas one (Rothco military type) than sport ones.Canvas is heavier.

Pockets? I needed an external water bottle pocket, that eliminated some brands. 

Shoulder strap? Adjustable, necessary. Removable, preference. I needed one that could extend a little longer as I am long-waisted and prefer to hang the bag near my hips rather than higher up as some courier bags do. I ordered a Timbuk2 bag and that was one of the issues that caused me to return it. You also need to ensure it's padded in some way if you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff. 

Quality? There are a lot of companies that go on the messenger bag band wagon in the last few years, particularly in the canvas models. Quality can be hit or miss. Since I don't have a lot of shopping options, I read a ton of reviews and watched a lot of youtube videos. I utilized Amazon's free returns a couple of times.

Capacity? This one is important. Know what he needs to carry and shop from there. The Osprey pack I mentioned carries about 4 folders, 4 sprial notebooks, two-three books smaller books, not huge textbooks, snacks, water bottle, my wallet, and there is room for a little more. 

Carry handle on top? I found this to be important. I miss it on the bag I own that don't have it. 

Computer section? Some messenger bags are one big open section. The Osprey bag has a separate padded computer section. 

Outside back pocket? This is one thing my bag doesn't have. I'd like a section to just stash a book or folder without opening the whole bag. It's not a huge issue, more of a preference thing. 

Personally, I would skip the office store. I would go to sporting goods stores like REI and even a military surplus store if he wants a more vintage canvas bag. I second TJMaxx/Marshalls or even Ross, although they can be hit or miss this time of year.