Menu

Ideas for Creative Writing Course (for me)

Since I finished NaNoWriMo, I have been feeling sluggish with my writing. Does anyone have suggestions of free, online creative writing courses (short, I'm looking for something not more than 12 weeks) or a good creative writing book I could work through?

I don't have time to make a huge investment. I could devote about one hour, most days of the week.

Thanks!

The University of Iowa has free writing courses - I don't know when the next one starts, but they're really tops in creative writing. They have video segments from many of today's great writers and writing professors.

For books, I like Imaginative Writing by Janet Burroway (it's a college text so it's a bit expensive for the current edition. I just bought an older edition instead.)

For writing prompts, I also really enjoyed Kicking in the Wall, Naming the World, and Now Write This.

ETA: the Iowa courses are free. Of the others, Kicking In the Wall is the easiest to just open it up and find an interesting prompt, Naming the World is better for writers of long fiction, and Now Write This is somewhere in between.

Edited by basketcase
  • Like 1