Menu

Did it work? maybe??

Dmmetler

So far so good. If I don't have anything go wrong, I'll feel confident booking the hotel and travel for this one.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear if the proposed itinerary for the rattlesnake festival is OK with the shuttle for the event before I book travel. And where I should have the books drop shipped to for the book signing.

Ah, the joys of parenting a pre-teen herpetologist/snake blogger!

The Texas Rattlesnake Festival is designed to be a no-kill alternative to the Sweetwater round up-basically, to show that a non-kill, educational event can still be a major draw and benefit local tourism. It's not just the rattlesnakes, but the groundwater contamination and by-kill of the roundups as well.

There's still a lot of confusion between the two, but the no kill focus is growing-the big roundup in GA has converted to being completely no-kill, and the rattlesnake festival organizers would love nothing more than to have the Sweetwater Jaycees call them up to help them make the Sweetwater event no-kill. 

Edited by dmmetler

• 2 weeks later...

Even if it doesn't work out on this trip (doesn't look like you're going to be very close), The University of Texas - Arlington has an amazing herp department and museum collection.  If you reach out to the curator, he likes nothing more than to give incredibly detailed tours.  Though if she is bothered by preserved specimens, then maybe not for her.  The Fort Worth zoo has an amazing herp area called MOLA too.