Menu

Do you barter?

hjffkj

The retirement threads, reviewing our budget because of the new year, and my frugalness has got me thinking about the concept of bartering. Do you do it regularly? If so, what do you barter?

We have a lot of housework that needs to get done: drywall, painting, new floors because of a huge plumbing leak a while back, new sliding doors, and a few other things to help optimize storage space. We decided this year that we are in this house for the long haul because it is a mile from dh's work and just makes the most sense for our family. So these projects get our house where it needs to be to continue to work for our family and no longer be a work in progress. We have set a certain amount of money aside a month to get the projects done. Doing them ourselves isn't an option because dh work long physical hours and I have 4 young kids, a pet sitting business, and homeschooling so our free time is very precious.

Dh just bartered some private martial arts lessons for the drywall work, which wasn't the original plan but he happened to overhear a student talking about doing work for dh's boss in exchange for martial arts lessons. This works great because dh would do the lessons while already at work and we can keep that money we were going to spend and put it in savings. Now I'm trying to think of other things we can barter to get the rest of the work done. I can offer my pet sitting to people but other than that I'm not sure. Dh will likely be able to get the same guy to do the painting, not sure about the floors. This will save us so much in labor costs.

So this all got me interested in what other people barter.

I used to trade blueberries for chickens. Friends of ours raised meat chickens, but never could find time to devote to going blueberry picking.  So I went blueberry picking and then ended up trading 10 pounds of fresh blueberries for 4 butchered chickens.  We did that a few years, and I always felt like it was a win-win.

DH has traded his handyman services for all sorts of things.  His current snowblower and table saw he got in exchange for work with one homeowner. Last winter he did some emergency work for friends of ours who couldn't really afford to pay him, so he agreed to take some EO's in exchange for his work.  She was really generous in her little donation of Doterra products! I never told DH how much she actually paid him, because I think he'd feel like he took advantage. 

In the past I've done dance costume alterations en masse in exchange for a break in tuition.  

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

I don't barter but I sort of scavenge.

So, for instance, I picked out some flatware that I really, really wanted, but it was expensive so I couldn't bring myself to spring for it.  Then someone on the neighborhood elist listed a set by the same company for $10 or $15.  It was service for 8 people, in almost new condition, with a few serving pieces.  It wasn't what I wanted, but it was almost free, and it was a LOT better than what I had.  So I took it. Now, I didn't get what I wanted, but I far improved my situation.

I did the same thing with a Kitchen Aide.  I designed it out at Williams Sonoma, and the bill was going to be insane.  I held off, and someone on another list posted a NIB one in a different color with slightly fewer features for less than 20% of what I was going to pay originally.  So I grabbed it.  Am I sorry that I didn't get the slightly bigger one I intended?  Not really.  It was ideal, but this one is just great.

In both cases, I was prepared, and I can't possibly emphasize this enough.  I already knew what I really wanted, and that helped me to be able to evaluate these deals. 

The only thing I really barter for is good will, I guess.  I bring fresh fruit from my trees to my neighbors, and I don't expect anything in return, but I end up having more of a relationship with them because of this, and I have noticed that they watch out for our home, and really appreciate that.

• Like 4

I grew up in the fine art show scene. Trading is a regular occurrence among artists. My mom traded for all kinds of beautiful work.

In college, I made and sold soap, and traded where I could. Obviously, I wasn't doing the 38 shows a year that my mom did, so the options were more limited.

Later, as an artist myself, I traded every year - especially around the holidays. I only did the art show scene for five years full-time, but our home is full of handmade work, and that's what I gave as gifts every year.

Oh, as a child, I started at 11 - I taught horseback riding to the four year olds in exchange for my own tuition.

Other than those examples, from the past, I really can't think of anything recent.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I don't because I find that perceptions of value vary widely. It's also just hard to find someone who needs something I would have available.

In any case, unless your husband already has an arrangement to take private students at his place of employment, I wouldn't think it appropriate to teach a student there in exchange for a personal service. IMO, that would be robbing the boss of potential income, even if he were to choose to enter into a bartering arrangement himself. I do come from an area where non compete clauses are common, though.

• Like 2

I give - web design, math tutoring.

I get - dance lessons (many lessons, two students, for many years now), quality skin care products and services, delicious food from a professional chef, and decluttering assistance.

Plus I get to spend time doing things I enjoy, for people I enjoy working with.

All of these deals are very much win-win, which I think is the best scenario for an ongoing barter relationship.

• Like 1

I don't because I find that perceptions of value vary widely. It's also just hard to find someone who needs something I would have available.

In any case, unless your husband already has an arrangement to take private students at his place of employment, I wouldn't think it appropriate to teach a student there in exchange for a personal service. IMO, that would be robbing the boss of potential income, even if he were to choose to enter into a bartering arrangement himself. I do come from an area where non compete clauses are common, though.

Yes, dh has that arrangement already so that isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I have bartered house and studio cleaning for lessons. I am guessing that isn't an option for you due to time constraints.

I would be able to do a once a month cleaning gig and would l9ve to find something like that if it meant I could get my kids into an activity we can't afford but find value in.

• Like 1

I don't barter but I sort of scavenge.

So, for instance, I picked out some flatware that I really, really wanted, but it was expensive so I couldn't bring myself to spring for it. Then someone on the neighborhood elist listed a set by the same company for $10 or $15. It was service for 8 people, in almost new condition, with a few serving pieces. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was almost free, and it was a LOT better than what I had. So I took it. Now, I didn't get what I wanted, but I far improved my situation.

I did the same thing with a Kitchen Aide. I designed it out at Williams Sonoma, and the bill was going to be insane. I held off, and someone on another list posted a NIB one in a different color with slightly fewer features for less than 20% of what I was going to pay originally. So I grabbed it. Am I sorry that I didn't get the slightly bigger one I intended? Not really. It was ideal, but this one is just great.

In both cases, I was prepared, and I can't possibly emphasize this enough. I already knew what I really wanted, and that helped me to be able to evaluate these deals.

The only thing I really barter for is good will, I guess. I bring fresh fruit from my trees to my neighbors, and I don't expect anything in return, but I end up having more of a relationship with them because of this, and I have noticed that they watch out for our home, and really appreciate that.

Oh I do the same thing. I have an ongoing list of things we need or want. I do not pay full price for anything. So I check many resale sites regularly to catch good deals.

• Like 1

Almost all of our critter care when we travel is bartered.  We do theirs when they travel.  They do ours when we travel.  None of us keep track of # of days because that's not really important to any of us (more than two families involved - that way if two are traveling at once, it's not a big deal).  We still pay for our own feed/hay, etc.  It's just the work that's bartered.

DH used to barter a lot, but it is infrequent now. The most recent significant barter we employed was when we had our driveway paved in trade for a large amount of plumbing work.

We have bartered, my dh used to be a painting contractor.  I had two dental crowns for an exterior paint job, 1 root canal & crown for some interior wall paper removal & painting.  The dentist was also a homeschooling dad, so it worked to our benefit to offer bartering.

He also did a small woodfloor refinished and interior painting in exchange for landscaping (hardscape)  (the guy bought the block, but we did the hardscaping ourselves with borrowed equipment from the guy.)

It never hurts to ask if people would like to barter.  I've also traded smaller things in exchange for canned goods/hair cuts what not.

We used to when we owned our business. Private fiddle lessons for coffee was a seriously great deal. :). We had a terrific, artsy customer base and exchanged all kinds of goods and services. I wish that were easier to come by now.

About the only thing recently is blueberries for CSA produce we don't want (yeah, that would be you, eggplant!). We have friends with an organic blueberry barren...very handy. But it's really casual, not like this many pounds of blueberries for that many pounds of produce or whatever. It's all just in the spirit of sharing and generosity.

We have often thought it would be lovely to live in the type of neighborhood where we could share tools--especially a snowblower and so on that could easily be shared. I guess that might create more problems than not (especially for us introverts) but on the other hand it seems so practical.

• Like 1

We used to when we owned our business. Private fiddle lessons for coffee was a seriously great deal. :). We had a terrific, artsy customer base and exchanged all kinds of goods and services. I wish that were easier to come by now.

About the only thing recently is blueberries for CSA produce we don't want (yeah, that would be you, eggplant!). We have friends with an organic blueberry barren...very handy. But it's really casual, not like this many pounds of blueberries for that many pounds of produce or whatever. It's all just in the spirit of sharing and generosity.

We have often thought it would be lovely to live in the type of neighborhood where we could share tools--especially a snowblower and so on that could easily be shared. I guess that might create more problems than not (especially for us introverts) but on the other hand it seems so practical.

I have a friend who we share tools back and forth. Like when we were doing our floors we borrowed their miter saw and when they painted we lent them our painting supplies. The only loose rule was if the blade gets dull replace it or if something is broken replace it. We never had issues.

• Like 2

I do not. I had some bad experiences with the perception of value when I was teaching music lessons. Parents wanted to barter but they wanted me to give their kids 45 minute lessons - I have a bachelor's degree in piano performance - in exchange for things like a dozen cookies, or ten minutes of dusting. One lady wanted to exchange for haircuts for the family, but when I did my research I found out she'd been fired from two area salons for terrible work, so I was glad I found that out before one of us was on the wrong end of her scissors.

Dh is under and IT non-compete clause so even if he were willing to barter, it would  be a violation of his employment contract. He volunteers to help my parents and the 4-H office with their computers. Volunteering his time, his boss doesn't mind that.

• Like 2

I do not. I had some bad experiences with the perception of value when I was teaching music lessons. Parents wanted to barter but they wanted me to give their kids 45 minute lessons - I have a bachelor's degree in piano performance - in exchange for things like a dozen cookies, or ten minutes of dusting. One lady wanted to exchange for haircuts for the family, but when I did my research I found out she'd been fired from two area salons for terrible work, so I was glad I found that out before one of us was on the wrong end of her scissors.

Yeah, I have heard people have issues like that but have yet to come across it myself. In the past when I bartered more often I've always made sure we each knew the value of what the other person did. I used to get haircuts from one woman in exchange for babysitting. But I knew her reputation was good and knew how much she would charge me normally. So one haircut would equal 4 hours of babysitting, a great deal for an awesome cut on a college students budget. I could get a cheaper haircut elsewhere but it wouldn't be as good and I usually didn't have the 20 bucks for a cheaper cut so it worked for me. Now I just don't cut my hair often.

We barter doing horse chores or trailering for a friend's daughter in exchange for the girl putting some training rides in my new horse.

A friend and I exchange horse chores as needed as well.

Not really bartering but my dd makes cookies for a friend of mine (who doesn't bake much) in exchange my friend gives us homemade grape jam or other food stuffs

• Like 1

My parents joined one of the "barter clubs" in the early 90s (maybe late 80s). The main thing I remember was that ,like others mentioned, the value of items was not always understood.

My parents ran a computer repair shop. The club worked by listing what you had to barter (services, etc) in a directory and other members could contact you offering a trade. They had forms to spell everything out when you offered a trade to another member. Members could be ejected for not fulfilling their end or passing off faulty goods (like a broken treadmill or the like).

Many "offers" would be "fix my home PC or printer" in exchange for "4 hours house cleaning" or "detail 1 car" or "print 200 custom business cards" or "2 bushels of apples". But the parts for fixing the PC would often run into $100s (maybe a new video card, motherboard, memory or hard drive was needed) and take HOURS (our service hour was $35 back then, this was back before plug-n-play). So let's say $150 repair for a $30-50 service/product.

We finally took to being very specific about what was offered. Service only and you purchase parts. Free estimates available. Etc. 

People have to value what you have to offer. The shop got too busy after that with paying customers and my parents found it more effective to buy what they wanted.

I would make sure it is all spelled out and no ?s about specifics left up in the air. (Who pays for materials, etc.)

Dh is under and IT non-compete clause so even if he were willing to barter, it would be a violation of his employment contract. He volunteers to help my parents and the 4-H office with their computers. Volunteering his time, his boss doesn't mind that.

When I suggested bartering, I figured the current local dollar value of the service they were providing- piano lessons from a music professor, against the current local dollar value of what I was offering- house cleaning. In this case, the ratio was about 1 hour of her time to 4 hours of mIne.

A weaned registered ewe lamb for a permaculture evaluation and advice for our farm.

An unrelated pair of registered ewe and ram lamb for someone to fix the mess my contractor made of my kitchen repair.

Sewing a few peasant style gowns for young girls in return for teaching on how to build a fence.

A registered ewe lamb for shearing the rest of our flock.

Home cooked meal, including dessert, for a single guy to help with some home repairs.

Chicks for transplants.

Homemade bread for a bushel of cucumbers to make pickles.

I barter with one neighbor whose son is the same age as mine but who doesn't drive. Two days a week I drive him 35 minutes to rock climbing.  95% of the time it's just a drop-off, but a few times a year I need to stay the duration of his 3 hour practice and also drive him home. In exchange I get fresh, organic, free-range eggs from her yard any time I want (I walk in and help myself) and she watches my pets when I travel (which is 1-2 times a month and a "big" job).  

I barter with the family of my son's friend for driving, too. I pick him up from school four days a week, and take him to school once a week.  In return she has my car washed weekly and detailed monthly (I'm kind of a piggy, so it's a nice treat).  When we began the arrangement she also bought seat covers and all-weather mats for my car because her son is a piggy like me (dirty cleats, etc.)  I'd do this for her for free, it's only 12 minutes from my house to the school and back to their home. But she insists on washing my car. LOL

This year I've bartered Chemistry and German tutoring for house cleaning, but I don't wish to continue after this year. I've learned that I dislike being a tutor. I lack patience for the unmotivated, especially ones I'm not related to. I gave 3-4 hours per week (sometimes more, before a big test) total for both subjects (same kid) and in return my friend sent her housekeeper each week.  I "gifted" the housekeeper to my brother, who pays my cable bill. He used to live here so it's in his name, and he never canceled it. 

I love the idea of bartering. I think it works for me because it's people I know and respect, who know and value what I bring to the table. I'm not sure I could do it on a more public level.