Menu

List or search engine of child psychologists for gifted children?

Karenciavo

Is there a list or search engine of child psychologists for gifted children? My youngest son is now attending a university model school and it is forcing us to face some issues with his emotional intensity. Most recently he has started laughing in one class, he says he doesn't know why. I have observed this behavior over the years as a nervous habit. Obviously this is an issue for the teacher. Anyway, I think it's time we talk to someone. 

Anyone know of such a site?

I have no experience personally, but can the school recommend anyone?

What about his pediatrician?

You can search online for gifted programs/magnet schools within your state and contact them to ask for a Psych who specializes in gifted children.

You might also contact the psychology department at several universities to see if anyone can help.

Best of luck.

When we had similar issues with DD, her pediatrician was able to recommend someone locally that specialized in dealing with gifted kiddos. He's been perfect for her.  The pediatrician had experience in dealing with gifted kid issues, and had sent several kids his way over the years. She was also able to help speed up the process of getting an apt. 

Good luck :)

When we went looking we found one via Hoagies as Wapiti suggested....I asked him specifically about this question!

His answer was that since he has been on the list, he gets many more referrals for specifically gifted children. This translates into more experience and becomes almost a self- fulfilling prophesy