Menu

Ree's best chocolate sheet cake ever

OnMyOwn

My MIL taught me how to make this cake about three decades ago. It is so good! I've been taking it to events--well, too many times to count.

It's too soft to take out of the pan. Perhaps covering the entire pan with foil would be helpful.

It's my favorite cake to lick the bowl....mmmmmmmm

• Like 2

My MIL taught me how to make this cake about three decades ago. It is so good! I've been taking it to events--well, too many times to count.

It's too soft to take out of the pan. Perhaps covering the entire pan with foil would be helpful.

It's my favorite cake to lick the bowl....mmmmmmmm

I was going to say the same thing about this being an old family recipe! (Not that it originated with MY family, just that my grandma and aunts made it long before Ree was in diapers.)

Definitely unable to remove from an 18"x13" sheet pan. However, I've never made it in a pan that large and shallow. I put it in a 9x13" pan and always have - but it's been so long, I can't remember if there was enough batter to need more than one pan. In a smaller pan it makes a thicker cake (beneath the frosting) than shown in the picture.

It is delicious. Unfortunately I can't make it with nuts these days due to allergies. There's a similar version with Coca Cola (some use Pepsi or Dr Pepper).

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

Glad it worked. Love this one too. I've made it several times. Kids always want it on their birthdays. Did you find a pan that was similar in size to a sheet cake pan or did you use a 9x13. I always wondered how it would turn out in that size pan.

Anyone ever try an almond sheet cake? Love that one too!

• Like 1

I'd get a disposable pan with a lid (or two smaller) unless your sheet pan has a lid. Or buy a new sheet pan with lid because you'll make it often. :)

Wondering if anyone knows where to find one with a lid. I have one that I got as a wedding gift. It's seen better days, but still good. However, dh cracked the lid. I haven't been able to find a new one with a lid.

Glad it worked. Love this one too. I've made it several times. Kids always want it on their birthdays. Did you find a pan that was similar in size to a sheet cake pan or did you use a 9x13. I always wondered how it would turn out in that size pan.

I wound up getting two disposable half sheet cake pans with lids and using those. I couldn't find a full sized disposable sheet pan in any of the stores near me. Amazon does have some sheet pans with lids. Most of them look like they are half sheet pans, but I think they had at least one full-sized one.

I haven't ever tried an almond sheet cake, but that sounds good. I found this lemon sheet cake recipe this morning, which I'm looking forward to trying. http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2014/03/lemon-buttermilk-sheet-cake/

• Like 1

I wound up getting two disposable half sheet cake pans with lids and using those. I couldn't find a full sized disposable sheet pan in any of the stores near me. Amazon does have some sheet pans with lids. Most of them look like they are half sheet pans, but I think they had at least one full-sized one.

I haven't ever tried an almond sheet cake, but that sounds good. I found this lemon sheet cake recipe this morning, which I'm looking forward to trying. http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2014/03/lemon-buttermilk-sheet-cake/

Oh, that sounds good! I love lemon cake. I'll be trying that. I'll have to look on Amazon again. I couldn't ever find a full-sized one on there.

Here's the almond one in case anyone is interested. I love it. I actually found the recipe online because I was having to make it for a funeral dinner. They already had chocolate and pumpkin, so I needed something different. This one is my favorite.

Ingredients

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)

1 cup water

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup sour cream

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

1/4 cup milk

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp almond extract

Directions

-Preheat oven to 375

-In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar, set aside

-In a small saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil and let butter melt

-Pour this liquid mixture in bowl with flour and sugar and stir

-Stir in baking soda, sour cream, eggs, and extract until smooth

-Bake for 20-30 minutes in a greased pan (I just use parchment paper) or until the cake passes the toothpick test

-Bring the butter and milk to a boil in your small saucepan

-Remove from heat once boiling and stir in powdered sugar and extract until smooth

-Pour over cake and then evenly spread

• Like 1

I make it in a 9x13, because I'd rather use that than one of my yukky metal baking pans.

We have a few favorites of Ree's recipes.  From my experience, very few of them are actually anything original.  We actually have a joke around here that she mined certain WTM members' blogs for most of her recipes when she was just posting them to her own blog (before being published).  Probably not true, but most are things either I've been making for years or were popular in the 1960s.

• Like 3

Agreeing with the other posters.  This is an old regional (I think) recipe that *everyone* makes to take to church functions, get-togethers, parties of all kinds.  When I first saw on Ree's blog with whatever title she had put on it, I laughed cuz it's such a staple around here.  Thank goodness she didn't call it "her" cake. 

It bakes up beautifully in a 15 x10 jelly roll pan, and that way the frosting-cake ratio is perfect.  When done in that size pan, you really understand the authenticity of the name "Texas Sheet Cake."

• Like 2

Wondering if anyone knows where to find one with a lid. I have one that I got as a wedding gift. It's seen better days, but still good. However, dh cracked the lid. I haven't been able to find a new one with a lid.

I randomly found the quarter with lid at a HomeGoods a few years ago. Amazon carries them: Nordic Ware 4 Piece Bakers Half and Quarter Sheet Combo Pack with Lids https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000UM04E/

• Like 1

Oh, that sounds good! I love lemon cake. I'll be trying that. I'll have to look on Amazon again. I couldn't ever find a full-sized one on there.

Here's the almond one in case anyone is interested. I love it. I actually found the recipe online because I was having to make it for a funeral dinner. They already had chocolate and pumpkin, so I needed something different. This one is my favorite.

Ingredients

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)

1 cup water

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup sour cream

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

1/4 cup milk

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp almond extract

Directions

-Preheat oven to 375

-In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar, set aside

-In a small saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil and let butter melt

-Pour this liquid mixture in bowl with flour and sugar and stir

-Stir in baking soda, sour cream, eggs, and extract until smooth

-Bake for 20-30 minutes in a greased pan (I just use parchment paper) or until the cake passes the toothpick test

-Bring the butter and milk to a boil in your small saucepan

-Remove from heat once boiling and stir in powdered sugar and extract until smooth

-Pour over cake and then evenly spread

I'm so glad you posted that.  I didn't think that was something that would work for us since my son is allergic to nuts, but I recently found out that almond extract does not have any nuts in it, strangely enough.  I'm going to have to give that a try.  Thanks!

OH that lemon cake recipe will change your life! I found that exact recipe on another blog (it originated with America's Test Kitchen) a couple of years ago and I've made it several times since then. The sugar/lemon zest mixture over the icing is so good! If you can get ahold of Meyer lemons, it's even better!

• Like 2

But Ree's lasagna is pretty amazing...this is coming from a non-Italian. 😉

Is this the one she makes with the breakfast sausage?  I agree, except for the breakfast sausage part!

I also lovelovelove her Olive Cheese Bread and Marlboro Man Sandwiches.  Enchiladas (with the black olives). Perfect Potato Soup (made that last week!).  Ahhhh and the Jalapeno Poppers.  :drool5:

I'm sure there are several others.  :::happy sighs:::

• Like 1

OH that lemon cake recipe will change your life! I found that exact recipe on another blog (it originated with America's Test Kitchen) a couple of years ago and I've made it several times since then. The sugar/lemon zest mixture over the icing is so good! If you can get ahold of Meyer lemons, it's even better!

America's Test Kitchen has some really good recipes.  I just made focaccia out of their gluten free cookbook and my son says it's the best bread he's ever had in his life.  It did seem just like regular bread.  Looking forward to trying the lemon cake.  I've never heard of Meyer lemons.  I'll have to look for those.

Is this the one she makes with the breakfast sausage? I agree, except for the breakfast sausage part!

I also lovelovelove her Olive Cheese Bread and Marlboro Man Sandwiches. Enchiladas (with the black olives). Perfect Potato Soup (made that last week!). Ahhhh and the Jalapeno Poppers. :drool5:

I'm sure there are several others. :::happy sighs:::

😊 I do love the Marlboro Man sandwiches. I haven't made the others. The spicy breakfast sausage coupled with the fact that it isn't overly saucy is what I love about that lasagna. Edited by Texas T
  • Like 2

Is this the one she makes with the breakfast sausage?  I agree, except for the breakfast sausage part!

I also lovelovelove her Olive Cheese Bread and Marlboro Man Sandwiches.  Enchiladas (with the black olives). Perfect Potato Soup (made that last week!).  Ahhhh and the Jalapeno Poppers.  :drool5:

I'm sure there are several others.  :::happy sighs:::

If I was on death row I would ask for Olive Cheese Bread to be my last meal.  That recipe is amazing.

• Like 2

I cut my first teeth on Texas Sheet Cake. My mother's recipe is much better than Ree's, so Ree's in fact is not the best. And we also make it in a 9x13. It is more like cake that way.

But Ree's lasagna is pretty amazing...this is coming from a non-Italian. 😉

Will you share your mother's recipe?

• Like 2