Menu

2016-2017 8th grade planning

Curious what you are planning on using for these. I was also thinking of government for fall and Renaissance for spring.

I'm still planning in my head.  I haven't started Googling and Searching these forums for history yet.  I just finished figuring out writing and science.  I started looking at Literary Analysis now....

WAIT, I just remembered...I am waiting for KFamily (Mind of a Light) to finish her Book Notes for Renaissance period.  It's suppose to come out in the Fall.  I will use that and add Art and Architecture and Intro to Shakespeare....I haven't decided on a play, yet.  

• Like 3

I'm still planning in my head.  I haven't started Googling and Searching these forums for history yet.  I just finished figuring out writing and science.  I started looking at Literary Analysis now....

WAIT, I just remembered...I am waiting for KFamily (Mind of a Light) to finish her Book Notes for Renaissance period.  It's suppose to come out in the Fall.  I will use that and add Art and Architecture and Intro to Shakespeare....I haven't decided on a play, yet.  

I'm working on it right now and I'm making it a priority along with the guide for The Middle Ages, for which someone else is waiting. :)

• Like 2

Math - TabletClass PreAlgebra

Literature/Writing - CenterForLit - Junior High

Grammar - Analytical Grammar

Vocab - Wordly Wise 3000

History - Roman Roads US History

Science - On Campus @ School

Bible - On Campus @ School

Sports at school 

Still looking for Computer Programming 

Maybe Art/Music

He has Expressive Language Disorder/ADHD and a few other things going on...

I'm updating my original plans...she'll be using Year 7 from my curriculum but with some alterations. This year seemed to fit the best with the books we were planning on using anyway.

I should have the guide for The Middle Ages complete by then too.

I think that, besides our moves overseas, this has been one of busiest years yet. I'm trying to console myself that whatever we lacked in accomplishing in academic studies, we made up for in social, musical and physical studies. :) I'm hoping to have a much more academic year in 2016-2017. But, my rising 8th grader has fallen in love with dance and her work in piano has made a sharp turn upwards so....it should be quite the balancing act.

This is my possible plan for my rising 8th grader:

Math-Jacob's Algebra I or Algebra I with Dolciani

Latin-First Form Latin

French-continue with Breaking the Barrier I and L'Art d'Ecrire

Science-assorted topics such as physics, genetics, introduction to chemistry, The Sea Around Us and probably some astronomy, keeping a science notebook, a special studies notebook and nature sketchbook so Year 7's science with some additions

History-The books listed under Year 7's ancient history +  the books for the medieval time period revolving around The Middle Ages by Dorothy Mills

Literature-doing Year 7's Lit. with some replacements...see poetry below...have already read Beowulf, Sir Gawain, The Hobbit, Anne of Green Gables and The Last Unicorn so substituting David Copperfield, Pride and Prejudice, North and South, Robinson Crusoe and Saga of the Volsungs

Poetry-narrative selections from Longfellow, poet studies with Frost, Dickinson and Tennyson, including Idylls of the King

English-continue with Essentials of English 2, dictation, commonplace book, Figuratively Speaking with literary terms notebook, keeping an active reader notebook

Geography-Book of Marvels (Orient only), Minn of Mississippi and Tree in the Trail

Shakespeare and Drama-Merchant of Venice, Macbeth

Artist Studies-Gainsborough, Botticelli, Fra Angelico, Benjamin West

Composer Studies-Chopin, Mendelssohn, Stravinsky or Tchaikovsky

Nature Studies Concentration-botany and insects

Plutarch: Timoleon, Cicero and Poplicola (We were going to read the Plutarch selections corresponding to The Book of the Ancient Greeks, but doing the latter book next year.)

Lots of dance-Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Lyrical

Piano

Edited by Kfamily

I've been in full on summer mode but woke up in a mild panic last night as I realized I have a couple of holes to figure out yet. Typical for me in July. It's time to start planning.

Math: Jacobs Geometry

L/A: Oak Meadow English 8

Language: Latin Prep

Instead of history: Oak Meadow World Geography

Science: physics and chemistry using various sources and outside classes

Health: TrueSport high school program (sports/values curriculum)

Maine Studies: TBD. We've done all the obvious stuff. I'd like it to be focussed this year as I'll have to show the high school what we covered (I guess, at least I want to be prepared. Same for health)

Sports...so many. XC and track at the middle school, Nordic skiing at a different middle school, road and cyclocross racing, swimming with the triathlon club...

Community Service: swim aid, library bookstore

Edited by MEmama

Math:                       AOPS  finish Intro to Algebra book he is doing this year, so Algebra 2, Teaching Textbooks

Latin:                       Visual Latin 2   (decided to stop latin, but we love the program)

German:                  Duolingo

Language Arts :     MCT level 5

Grammar: Magic Lens 1 and 4Practice 1

Vocab: WiTW1

Writing: AAW1 and probably Cover Story

Literature: MCT Search and Time literature;  maybe Excellence in Literature Intro;  lots of good books

History:                   Notgrass America the Beautiful Unschooling history

Science:                  DIVE ICP with video labs and add in Thames & Kosmos kits (Chem 1000, Physics Workshop)  Exploration Education Advanced (last minute change - just yesterday he said he wanted to do this instead)

PE:                          AAU Basketball Going to try out at local private school

Music:                     Guitar lessons/ practice; Church choir; Piano, ukulele, banjo, mandolin, and bass guitar as well

Edited by GeoKitty

Okay...this is long.  I apologize in advance.

8th grade!  I can't believe we're there already!

For some reason, I just can’t stick to pre-packaged curricula.  Even if I buy something like Memoria Press, TOG or any curricula really, I tweak the death out of it to the point it no longer looks anything like the original.  So, for the past couple of years, I just make my own.  It’s a lot more work, and I tend to get more resources than we need, but with all those resources I can transition to a different source if one isn’t working or DD doesn’t engage well with it, and I can push DD forward or scale back if necessary.

I’ve been planning and gathering curricula for this next year since last December.  Here’s what we’re planning:

Bible:  In-depth study of Jesus Christ

·         Jesus in the OT

Ø  Beginning at Moses

Ø  Jesus & The OT: 4-pt Lecture series by Dr. Michael S. Heiser  (We all love this guy’s knowledge!)

·         Jesus in the NT

Ø  Jesus the Messiah (we’ll read excerpts)

Ø  Jesus & The Gospels (we’ll read excerpts)

Ø  Introducing the New Testament

Ø  What Did Jesus Really Teach

Ø  Various articles & lectures re: historicity (including source docs), contradictions, myths about Jesus

Math:  Algebra 1 using CLE

History/Geography:  History of the Celts & Druids w/Geography corresponding to our studies (this was DD’s choice for History) Geography will focus on Europe.

·         Reference books: (Not sure we’ll use them all, but I have them on hand)

Ø  The World of the Celts

Ø  Symbols of the Celts

Ø  Druids: A History

Ø  Blood of the Celts (Will definitely use this one. DD is fascinated by DNA/Genes/Heredity)

Ø  Myths & Legends of the Celtic Race

Ø  The Religion of the Ancient Celts

·         Lectures:

Ø  From GCP, The Other Side of History – L#35: Being a Celt in Ancient Briton

Ø  From GCP, Great Mythologies of the World – L#10: Dagda’s Harp & Other Celtic Myths

Ø  From GCP, King Arthur History & Legend – L#16: Tristen & Isolde

·         Documentaries:

Ø  The Celts; BBC 6-Pt. Series on YT

Science:   Integrated Science.  This will be a 2-YR course culminating in 1 CR for 9th grade science.

·         Spine: GCP The Joy of Science w/corresponding text, Sciences: An Integrated Approach

·         Supplemental Reading:

Ø  Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy

Ø  Why The Universe Is the Way It Is

Ø  Impact Events Series Devotionals by RTB

·         Extras:

Ø  Appropriate YT Home Experiments using household items

Ø  Appropriate YT documentaries about key concepts

Literature:  This year we will be reading The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings series.  DD will learn annotating this year through LA and practice with these books.

·         Main Resources

Ø  The Annotated Hobbit

Ø  The Hobbit

Ø  LOTR Triliogy

·         Lit Analysis Resources:

Ø  Bilbo's Journey: Discovering the Hidden Meaning in The Hobbit (Primary)

Ø  Frodo's Journey: Discover the Hidden Meaning of The Lord of the Rings (Primary)

Ø  The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-earth (Primary)

Ø  The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion (Primary)

Ø  Hobbits, You, and the Spiritual World of Middle-Earth (Christian Devotions Ministries)

Ø  The Real Middle-Earth - Discovering the Origin of The Lord of the Rings

Ø  Moments of Grace and Spiritual Warfare in The Lord of the Rings

·         Supplemental Resources:

Ø  Watch all the movies & compare/contrast

Ø  LOTR & Hobbit Series through Mythgard Institute or

Ø  The Hobbit & Themes in LOTR series with Ryan Reeves of Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary on YT (DD will be watching his Silmarillion series this summer.)

Language Arts:

·         Main Resources

Ø  Writing – Adventures in Fantasy (to go along with the fantasy theme of LOTR)

Ø  Grammar/Spelling – dictation & Fix It Grammar

Ø  Focus on Annotating using YT teaching videos & practice through Lit/Science/History

Philosophy (we alternate Logic & Philosophy)

·         Main Resources

Ø  The Philosophy of Tolkien

Ø  Appropriate Apologetics YT Videos by Craig/Koukl/Turek for each concept

Ø  Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview (excerpts)

Spanish (Homemade curriculum as I’ve had 5 yrs. & still retain enough for first year HS-level)

·         Main Resources

Ø  Teaching Spanish: The Essential Handbook (resource for me)

Ø  Easy Spanish Step-By-Step

Ø  Madrigal’s Magic Key to Spanish

Ø  Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish Grammar

Ø  Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Conversation

Ø  First Spanish Reader: A Beginner’s Dual-Language Book

·         Supplemental Online Resources:

Ø  Duolingo

Ø  Destinos

ELECTIVES: (In addition to below, read one work each of Shakespeare and Poe as time permits)

Computer Programming: DD wanted something specifically using Minecraft but not Raspberry Pi, so we’ll see how it goes.  If it bombs, we’ll try Scratch.

·         Main Resource

Ø  Minecraft Modding For Kids For Dummies

Evolution: This is a course I feel strongly should be taught, however we will address it as a respectable compare/contrast class – secular vs. ID. (based upon an OEC view)

·         Main Resources:

Ø  GCP:  Joy of Science – Lecture #s 32; 54-57

Ø  GCP: Major Transitions in Evolution

Ø  Discovering ID

§  Online DiscoveryU companion site

·         Supplemental Reading:

Ø  On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection (to be annotated)

Ø  Darwin’s Doubt (selected chapters)

Ø  Copious refutation articles from Evolution News & Views and RTB to compare/contrast

·         Supplemental Multimedia Resources:

Ø  Through the Lens , RTB

Ø  Darwin’s Dilemma (Amazon)

Ø  Various other YT videos dealing with Evolution matching topics we will discuss

Phew! I think that's it!  :svengo:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Visiting this thread to see what plans stuck.   I guess I've made a few changes. Maybe a lot of changes! :)

Tentative plan: really only posting so that I can see what it looks like typed out instead of in my head. :)

Bible: Sword Studies, not sure which book yet.

Grammar: Maybe Analytical Grammar, maybe CLE, maybe something else..  Cottage Press Bards and Poets

Vocab.: English from the Roots Up book 2.  Just making cards and reviewing.

Writing: Writing With Skill II or Maxwell's School Composition  Cottage Press Bards and Poets

Literature: Pull from various book lists, Figuratively Speaking or EIL...not sure how deep I want to go yet.   I like the amount of lit. analysis in, once again: Cottage Press

History: BF Modern America and World   Finishing BF Early American and World for fall, SCM modern for spring

Science:  BJU Earth and Space. Nope.  Went with a mix of things: The Mystery of the Periodic Tables with The Elements flashcards, Signs and Seasons, Tiner Biology,

Math: MUS Algebra

French: don't know yet. Getting Started With French, Duolingo

Other: Art of Argument or Thinking Toolbox, Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, Whatever Happened to Justice?    Family studies such as Notgrass Uncle Sam and You, Presidents, CM picture studies, poetry, geography

Ballet

Homeschool Band: Flute

Piano

Youth Choir

• Like 2

We start tomorrow so this is the final product. I think... ;)

AoPS Geometry and algebra review with Foerster

Oak Meadow Hero's Journey, Daily Grammar Practice 8

Mr. Q Anatomy and Physiology, Oak Meadow Health and Fitness

ToG Year 4

Visual Latin with Lingua Latina

Piano

4H

Ds13.8's final plan:

TT geometry with Foerster algebra 1 review

WHA Fundamentals of Expository Writing

Rod and Staff English 8

Speech at co-op

American literature readers

Henle Latin 1 Unit 6 to end

Integrated Chinese 1 to be determined

CLE 8th grade Changing Frontiers, with some Sonlight Core 100 readers, map work???

Clover Creek physics

Java programming

Introductory Logic

Election Study to determined

Boy Scout

Martial Arts 2x week

• Like 1

I, too, am waiting to check out KFamily's Renaissance guide. :)

• Like 1

I think we're mostly set in our plans. Good thing since our start date is fast approaching!

Math: Derek Owens Prealgebra

Science: Elemental Chemistry

History: Uncle Sam & You (book 1) first semester and various resources for a second semester study on the Renaissance (Dorothy Mills/KFamily and Homeschool in the Woods Renaissance/Reformation Passport)

English: Literature & Composition outside class, Fix-It

Geography: co-op class similar to drawing the world with art

Art: outside class

Volleyball and possibly swimming

Still not done, but it may help to put it in writing...

Math: Finish AoPS Pre-algebra; start AoPS Algebra; Math Minutes

Science: Botany, Ornithology, Entomology, Equine Science.  Using a variety of books, programs, hands on activities, and field trips.  Very excited about all of this.

European History: History at our House, OUP, and Doctor Who episodes!

English: Writing: Bravewriter: High School Writing Projects, Nature Journaling, Writing the Short Story, Kidswrite Intermediate 

Grammar: Get Smart from Grammar Revolution (fall)

Literature: Too many options!  Not sure yet.  Will do short stories, Shakespeare, Once and Future King, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Robin Hood, and other lit - Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, My Family and Other Animals?  We will start the year with Anne of Green Gables and The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate - lighter reads.

Vocab: Caesar's English 2 and Vocabulary of Literature (looking for reviews)?

So you Really Want to Learn English?  Waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It has taken so long to arrive, I've settled on everything else!

Spanish: Continue Getting Started with Spanish and duolingo; Homeschool Spanish Academy in spring.  Homeschool Spanish Academy and duolingo

Geography: Not sure yet; she asked for this.  Help!

CNN Student News: every day; she loves this.

10 Things Every Mathematician Should Know...

Art of Argument?  We'll see about this one; no luck with my son

Philosophy for Kids?  She liked it well enough last year.  Maybe we will continue.

How to be a Super Star Student (fall)  Coursera's Learning How to Learn (fall)

Excavating English (spring)

Thinking about doing the Bravewriter Lifestyle.  I think this will really resonate with dd.  Any advice is welcomed!

3x a week Boomerang 

Poetry Tea Time 

Friday Freewrite

Monday Movies/Discussions

Read NY Times Columns or Music Reviews

Copybook filled with fave song lyrics, passages from books, etc.

Ongoing list of controversies

In the spring, she took the online movie discussion class and really gleaned a lot from it.  This fall, the movies have a theme of India (awesome) but the movies are almost three hours long.  We will do it using Teach with Movies for now. 

I am stuck on Geography.  Maybe I should incorporate a country a month in our movie selection?

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

We started today -- my last kiddo @ homeschool, in 8th grade already!! We always do a slow start - add 2 subjects/week, building up to a full load. This helps us decide on a study plan, see how the lessons go, etc. Here's the plan (so far; I always choose too much)

Math -- Foerster's Algebra 1

Bible -- Dynamic Life in Christ workbook

Latin -- MP Third  Form Latin (workbook, yea! more focus on memorization, needed but not exciting)

Social Studies -- Uncle Sam and You (civics/government) to go along w/election, adding in a couple AHG badges

English -- WWS 2, MP American Short Stories & Poetry, journalism class @ Co-op (obviously, we'll do some rotating of assignments)

Science -- Physical Science w/Novare text with lectures and experiments @ co-op but reading @ home

PE -- Daily walk, roller skating once/week, calisthenics @ home

Outside -- AHG, youth group @ church

• Like 1

Also, TN Mama...

I decided to work through the evening and finish it!!

Classical Lessons for Renaissance and Reformation Times is finally ready.

Here is a link to the bookstore at my website. Lulu's preview is so limited that I provide a larger PDF sample for those who may wish to see more.

A Mind in the Light: Bookstore

Here is a link to purchase the guide at Lulu:

Classical Lessons for Renaissance and Reformation Times

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 2

Also, TN Mama...

I decided to work through the evening and finish it!!

Classical Lessons for Renaissance and Reformation Times is finally ready.

Here is a link to the bookstore at my website. Lulu's preview is so limited that I provide a larger PDF sample for those who may wish to see more.

A Mind in the Light: Bookstore

Here is a link to purchase the guide at Lulu:

Classical Lessons for Renaissance and Reformation Times

I wish there was a LOVE button. Thank you so much! <3 <3 <3 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We had a major move, and decided that this year is 8th Grade 2.0 - I'm actually happy with the decision. We can continue to press on in everything, but the social and executive function skills will have more time to mature before leaving home. And she will be eligible for the early college high school STEM program in our new location. So here's 8th 2.0:

ELA

- LLftLotR

- LtoW

- Chortling Bard

Math

- AOPS Geometry (online class from AOPS)

- Straightedge, String, and Shadow

- Mathcounts team at middle school

Geography

Mom-made using Trail Guide

Science

Derek Owens Physical Science

Logic

Introductory Logic by Nance

Fine Arts

Theater Group

Art classes at the middle school

Other

Tech class (shop) at middle school

Morning Basket

Other requests that I haven't figured out yet

French

Horsemanship

Harp

First Lego League

This is our current year (8th grade), and next year may be a gap year or it may be 9th (haven't decided yet)

English

WWS 1 and 2

MCT Magic Lens 1

Shakespeare course at co-op

Math

AOPS Intro Algebra B and Intro to C & P online classes

Science

Biology (co-op lab taught by me, using Wilson's Life on Earth and Campbell's Concepts and Connections as texts)

Science Olympiad

History

Human Odyssey 2 (well, some of it :sad: )

History has been a hodgepodge (fail) of things :tongue_smilie: why is this so hard with this child??

Foreign Language

Japanese 1 (BYU Independent Study)

Fine Arts

Piano

Music Theater

Shakespeare production

Morning Basket

• Like 2

Of course, now I'm thinking of tweaking my plans. Still doing BYL 8, but I changed my plans for English and math. Right now, this is what I'm considering:

Math: Tabletclass Algebra 1

English: Winter Promise LA 7, possible outside literature class

Spelling: Spelling You See

Science/History/Literature: BYL 8

Music: choir

Art: The Virtual Instructor

Foreign Language: Ecoutez, Parlez

PE: competitive tumbling, recreational gymnastics, recreational horseback riding

We're dropping choir in favor of at-home guitar learning, and dropping the outside lit class, but are otherwise sticking with this plan unless something crashes and burns. 

• Like 1

At the moment...

Math:  Finish Saxon Algebra 1, then start Jacobs Geometry

Lit:  LL8 (with MBTP Animal Farm unit subbing for the Hobbit since we did that last year)

History:  American History using first 2 concise volumes of Hakim's History of US with US History Detective

Science:  Looking at Exploration Education Advanced  ETA:  Runkle's Physical Geography and some crash course videos.  

Writing:  Ugh.  either Writing Skills 3, EPS's The Paragraph Book, or Wordsmith.    

To say this child is a reluctant writer might be the understatement of the century.  

ETA:  Started Cover Story--so far, so good.

Foreign Language:  Rosetta Stone Spanish. We want to pick Latin back up with Latin Alive--may wait until 9th grade though.

Other:  Excavating English

ETA:  Using Excavating English in place of a foreign language right now--then will start Latin Alive

PE:  Tennis 4-5 times a week

Changes in blue, didn't stray too far from our original plans.  

I'm thinking about it. Here's what I have so far:

Math - Jacob's Algebra

Writing - Finish WWS-1 and start WWS-2

Vocabulary - derivative study, cobbled together from a number of resources

Grammar - AG

Literature - Lightning Lit 8th Grade (a couple of books he's already read, so other choices were made), select ancient lit titles, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (Spring)

History - History Odyssey, Ancients, Level 2

Science - DS really wants to do chemistry. I don't know what we're going to use yet and am open to suggestions (we use secular materials). He'll continue his independent work in ornithology.

Using Elemental Science - Logic Stage Chemistry; 8 week Ecology Class at local museum; continue ornithology

Latin - Latin Alive, Book I

Spanish -  CAP's Spanish for Children Primer B and Duolingo

Election Studies - 8 weeks, Fall Semester

Study Skills - Fall Semester (various resources cobbled together)

Logic - The Discovery of Deduction (Spring Semester)

Fine Arts - continue composer and artist studies;  voice lessons; jazz drumming lessons; student member of our local chorale

Phys Ed - (seasonal) kayaking, cross country skiing, archery club at local school, beginning golf

ETA: Phooey. I forgot lit. I usually cobble something together, using a number of resources (including, but not limited to, Lightning Lit and MCT Lit).

Updated and, hopefully, final version.

This is my work of art 8th grade plan.  ;)

1.  English

Grammar--R&S English 8

Literature--pick a list of books to read (one per month with brief oral discussion of literary elements)

Vocab/Spelling--Finish Word Wealth Jr.

2.  Writing

IEW SICC-C (Second Half)

If finish with that, do some Maxwell's Writing in English or other essay writing

3.  Public Speaking

Speech Club including compete in three local tournaments

4th Quarter when Speech club is finished--Memorize an excerpt from a speech and a few poems

4.  Foreign Language

German 2--at local Middle School

5.  Math

Algebra 1--at local Middle School

6.  History/Geography

Read A Patriot's History of the United States (5 pages per day)

Critical Thinking Company's U.S. History Detective (workbooks 1 and 2) (one lesson per day)

When finished with CTC workbooks, Watch YouTube "The Century:America's Time" (15 episodes, 45 minutes each)

Finish our two year plan to learn to draw the whole world through http://map-of-the-whole-world.weebly.com/

7.  Science

Landry Academy online Earth Science (Pre-Geology--fall, Intro to Air Power, Astronomy and Space--spring)

8.  Discussion/Test Prep/Misc:

Economics--Uncle Eric Are You Liberal, Conservative, or Confused? with Guide (1st quarter)

Literature--read Hamlet and then listen to "The Classics Club" DVD by Adam Andrews (2nd quarter)

Econ-- Uncle Eric's Personal, Career, and Financial Security with Guide (3rd quarter)

Literature--Read The Yearling, and then listen to "The Classics Club" DVD by Adam Andrews (4th quarter)

Logic--Thinking Toolbox (twice per week)

Test Prep--SAT prep through Khan Academy (every other day)

Updates in red.

:)

• Like 4