Menu

2016-2017 8th grade planning

I'm thinking about it. Here's what I have so far:

Math - Jacob's Algebra

Writing - Finish WWS-1 and start WWS-2

Vocabulary - derivative study, cobbled together from a number of resources

Grammar - AG

History - History Odyssey, Ancients, Level 2

Science - DS really wants to do chemistry. I don't know what we're going to use yet and am open to suggestions (we use secular materials). He'll continue his independent work in ornithology.

Latin - Latin Alive, Book I

Spanish - We're approaching the end of CAP's Spanish for Children series, so I need to come up with something. Maybe Breaking the Barrier?

Logic - The Discovery of Deduction

Fine Arts - continue composer and artist studies; art classes at a Bird Art Museum; voice lessons; jazz drumming lessons; student member of our local chorale

Phys Ed - kayaking, cross country skiing, archery

ETA: Phooey. I forgot lit. I usually cobble something together, using a number of resources (including, but not limited to, Lightning Lit and MCT Lit).

Nope. Not planning yet. But there's not too much new to think about as big sister went through this a few years ago. Off the top of my head:

Singapore Math DM 2A/2B, parts of 3A, parts of the high school's Alg 1 book (Mcdougall Littel) that Singapore doesn't cover

R&S English 8

Sadlier Oxford Vocab E and F

Windows to the World Lit, probably a MCT lit series like the time travelers one

Realidades--second half of Spanish 1 book (same series high school uses and this will put her in Spanish 2 there freshman year)

science and band at the middle school. Maybe art too if band is in the afternoon (wasn't this year).

Human Odyssey volume 3. The main bit of planning work I need to do is pick the read-alouds and readers we'll add to it. Lots on our shelves.

maybe an online writing class if I can find something that fits (not WWS style/classical style)

some kind of Bible study or devotional

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

***edited in April May to reflect changes

My 8th grader has known the topics he'll want to study for awhile now, which made pulling his plans together fairly easy.

Grammar: Stewart English book 1 and book 2  Fix It, maybe with some Editor in Chief mixed in
Composition: Lost Tools of Writing (4th edition, because DVDs) and keeping the weekly rhythm that's working so well this year. Argument Builder will probably be wiggled into this block somewhere.

Literature/history/geography/art/poetry/some science: Build Your Library grade 8, which is a history of science course (skipping all language arts except for literature)

Spanish: Duolingo, Spanish for Children B

Science: Campbell's Biology: Concepts and Connections, which is high school level

Math: undecided, but likely Foerster's alg 1, he has a love/hate relationship with AoPS and a humanities mom to help him through it :tongue_smilie: ***ETA He's flying through AoPS again and has no idea why he didn't like it before we shelved it last. Go figure.

Extra: Civil Air Patrol, Cyber Patriot, Math Olympiad, robotics at home sans team

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 4

I've got the primary stuff planned and mostly bought, but most of the "extras" are up in the air. My plan so far:

Math: SYRWTL Maths 3 and Patty Paper Geometry

Grammar: Giggly Guide to Grammar

Writing: WWS (finish 1 and move to 2) or Bravewriter

Spelling: right now, it's R&S, but if that doesn't work, we'll try Spelling You See. This a child that NEEDS spelling practice still.

Science/History/English: Build Your Library 8th Grade (history of science)

Music: choir, maybe some extra theory (kind of doubt it, though)

Still not sure:

Art: The Virtual Instructor or weekly class at the local co-op (if we have time)

Foreign Language: maybe ASL with Signing Time or French with...something, if we have time. She's expressed interest in learning both, but it's not a priority right now.

DD is a competitive tumbler, so a lot of it depends on her gym and competition schedules.

This is the first time since Pre-K I am really trying to do a mostly-all-in-one curriculum. We need to streamline stuff just to get everything done, and I don't have time to put together history and science like I have in the past.

You guys are not nice!  First I get hit with the 6th grade thread, now you are all making me acknowledge that I will also have an 8th grader!

MFW 1850-Modern - art, music, Bible, history

Saxon Algebra 1 with DIVE

Apologia Physical science with student notebook

Rod & Staff grammar 8

CLE reading 8

IEW Bible-based writing

CLE Home Ec. 1, continued from this year

2 Progeny Press lit guides - Fahrenheit 451 and Screwtape Letters

Thinking about foreign language - whether to start in 8th or wait until 9th.

Need something for logic - she will have completed Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective.

Around 20 hours in the gym per week... hopefully training L8, but she's injured right now, so I don't know.   :(

Edited by Mommy22alyns
  • Like 2

At the moment...

Math:  Finish Saxon Algebra 1, we are starting in a few weeks when we finish Algebra 1/2, begin Algebra 2

Lit:  LL8 (with MBTP Animal Farm unit subbing for the Hobbit since we did that last year)

History:  American History using first 2 concise volumes of Hakim's History of US with US History Detective

Science:  Looking at Exploration Education Advanced 

Writing:  Ugh.  either Writing Skills 3, EPS's The Paragraph Book, or Wordsmith.    

To say this child is a reluctant writer might be the understatement of the century.  

Foreign Language:  Rosetta Stone Spanish. We want to pick Latin back up with Latin Alive--may wait until 9th grade though.

Other:  Excavating English

PE:  Tennis 4-5 times a week

We own everything but science, Algebra 2, Latin Alive, and some of the writing books.  I am feeling pretty good about our plans.  

This is going to be a somewhat short response......

It looks like DD will be unschooling everything but Math for that we'll either be using CLE 800 or Power Basics Algebra.

If a Co-op in our new town offers Chemistry she'll probably do their once a week class too.

I'm also going to require she read at least a few American classics from her brother's list so he has someone to discuss them with.

Lots of Great Course lectures I guess..... I need to check out some books on how to unschool.

• Like 1

Copied and updated from the thread on middle school plans:

Math--Finish Math U See Zeta if we don't finish over the summer. Then MUS pre-algebra w/ Sinagapore 5. OR jump right into MUS algebra.

English--  

• writing--Jump In! and/or Classical Academic Press Writing and Rhetoric, books 4 & 5.
  • spelling--Apples book 2
  • literature--?? Maybe Lighting Lit 8. Maybe a lit list to go with history cycle. Maybe Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (this has vocab, too, so an added bonus). Maybe some Progeny Press guides. 
  • grammar--Growing with Grammar 7 (finish), then GWG 8

History--SOTW 3 & 4 (read the chapter, complete the written questions, do the tests, do the map)

Science--Finish Elemental Science Earth/Space. McHenry's The Elements and maybe Carbon Chemistry.

Foreign Lang--So You REally Want to Learn Latin, finish 1, move into 2, unless we finish 1 this year. Then just 2. OR she may do a language survey course with Landry Academy. Or all of this.

Logic--????

Arts--??? continue learning flute, for sure, but whether it is just private study or an ensemble situation remains to be seen. She likes music theory, so we would probably continue that on our own (right now she does it in a music co-op).

Venturing Scouts will be on the list.
I'm going to have her do a class with Landry Academy, but not sure which one. So that could change something from above.

And we are most likely moving this summer. The area we are moving to has a group that has classes--not a co-op, as I am pretty much DONE with co-ops. It's one of those situations where a homeschool group hires teachers and you pay the teacher directly. So, I might put her in that, but I don't know yet.

Math:                       AOPS  finish Intro to Algebra book he is doing this year, so Algebra 2, Teaching Textbooks

Latin:                       Visual Latin 2   (decided to stop latin, but we love the program)

German:                  Duolingo

Language Arts :     MCT level 5

Grammar: Magic Lens 1 and 4Practice 1

Vocab: WiTW1

Writing: AAW1 and probably Cover Story

Literature: MCT Search and Time literature;  maybe Excellence in Literature Intro;  lots of good books

History:                   Notgrass America the Beautiful

Science:                  DIVE ICP with video labs and add in Thames & Kosmos kits (Chem 1000, Physics Workshop) 

PE:                          AAU Basketball

Music:                     Guitar lessons/ practice; Church choir

Edited by GeoKitty
  • Like 2

Oh my rising 8th grader is very much planning with me already ;-) She wants to skip 8th grade and just start high school. She's already doing algebra and R&S 8 grammar....so her 8th grade year looks more like high school in how we are picking subjects. I don't want her graduating early, so I plan on calling it 8th, but she will be getting some hs credits knocked off.

The current plan:

Math: Jacobs Geometry

English/Lit: BJU Lit 9

Science: Rainbow Science Year 1

History/Lit: Biblioplan Middle Ages

Foreign Language: ASL II (Landry)

Art:Colored and Watercolor pencils(Landry)

Other: American Heritage Girls. She will be doing a lot of planning for the next level badge and teaching younger kids. Will somehow make this something...leadership ? And she volunteers at church in the nursery.

Edited by tess in the burbs

This is the plan so far:

Math: Geometry: Derek Owens

Spelling: finish AAS 7

Writing: Finish Lively Art of Writing

History: Big History Project, supplemented with remainder of modern history

Science: Big History Project, supplemented with more physics, chemistry, and astrophysics

Language: Latin Prep

PE: track, cross country, cyclocross, skiing...

We'll call her 8th, but she might need another year before high school. We'll figure that out later. Many of these will be with dd#3.

DD#2:

LA:

Writing/Lit: Fundamentals of Expository Writing through WHA if the schedule works

Spelling: Spell to Write & Read with dd#1 & dd#3 - last time through the end lists??

+ Memory work & Memoria Press grammar recitations

Math: Finish Abeka 6 & hopefully move onto Abeka Pre-A

History: History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 (includes some literature)

Science: Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology

Foreign Language:

Latin:  Finish First Form & move onto Second Form

French: Maybe do Getting Started With French

Religion: Baltimore Catechism #2 (Part 2) + Saint Reports?

Art: Private painting lessons + constant drawing

Extra: Hopefully our karate teacher will be able to start back up at some point in the next year.

Ds13

WHA Fundamentals of Expository Writing

Henle Latin 1 second half

Speech at co-op

TT geometry with algebra 1 review using Foerster

Hewitt Conceptual Physics

America the Beautiful with American lit.

Bible reading

Java programming

Martial Arts 2x a week

Boy Scout 1x a week

Summer swimming

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1

I have an 8th grader next year. 

Bible: Continue an overview of the entire bible using AO; should be to the New Testament

History: CLE's Changing Frontiers (US history) and AO 7th Lifepacs (Social Studies overview) Use both over 2 years

Science: Co-op is using Apologia Biology, but I'm going to have ds just do labs there and use BJU Life Science for middle school with DVD

Math: Finish CLE 700; TT Algebra 1

Patty Paper Geometry

Spanish: Breaking the Barrier 1

Language Arts: Co-op class using AG Beyond the Book Report Season 3

Memoria Press American Literature Short Stories and Poetry

CLE LA

Vocabu-Lit

Books: haven't chosen these yet; I might continue leading a book club. 

Co-Op Elective: Money Matters for Teens

Piano: Just started in January; will continue

Swim team over summer and might consider doing it during the year or might join a local archery team a family is trying to get started

Basketball (Dec-Feb)

Edited by mom31257

I have a rising 8th grader and I'm not sure.  I've really just begun exploring what we might do.  I've given myself a headache wrapping my head around high school.  LOL 

English: I'd love to do a CS Lewis Literature study.  My daughter is very "into" fantasy right now, and I love allegory.  She will continue writing, though I've not decided if we are continuing IEW or moving to something else.  

Math: We are currently using Saxon below her "grade level" but on track for her.  She has struggled with math for the majority of her life between vision and attention issues.  I have to think more on this. 

Social Science:  She really wants to do an in depth Geography study.  Haven't figured out how to do this yet. 

History/Science Developments mash up:  Kind of a history of science accomplishments and discoveries.  Still trying to think this one through. 

Science:  Something with animals is the request.  

Presentations:  I may be facilitating a Speech/Presentation class this fall.  I'm sure many of her presentations will be from one of the above subjects.  

Latin:  We are dropping Latin in favor of Spanish.  Still trying to figure out where to start. 

Edited by GAPeachie
  • Like 2

I have an 8th grader next year, too! I'm still tweaking and hoping not to overload her since I want her to have lots of free time to explore music. Here's what I have for now.

Bible: Journibles

History: PA State history: Keystones 2 with literature and research paper; CLE Changing Frontiers?

Math: Saxon 1/2 with Saxon Teacher 

Science: I'm considering using Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry or A Beka Physical Science with her brother. 

ENGLISH:

Grammar/Writing: Rod and Staff English 6/7, Teaching the Essay, MCT Magic Lens 1 (and practice book 1), Essay Voyage

Literature: In addition to her history reading, she usually has plenty of interests of her own, so I'm not sure I will add any books. Maybe a book study. Adding MCT's Shadow Trilogy, Poetry and Humanity

Vocabulary: MarieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Words, Word Within a Word 1

Foreign Language: Spanish-Fluenz DD decided she wanted to learn Japanese, so she will be using Japanese from Zero

Music: Continue with piano lessons and street performing in the summer when the town puts pianos out on Main Street. Looking for a violin teacher. She loves to perform outside and wants to learn a more portable instrument.

Other: Food Science that I'll piece together myself. Sewing-She has an interest in cosplay.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

8th Grade with an eye on high school.

LA:

Grammar: G.U.M.

Vocabulary Lit Level 1 and 2

Spelling Wisdom Bk.4

Excellence in Literature English 1

Article of the Week

Independent Reading with response journal.

Writing??? Undetermined 

LA Revised:

Oak Meadow grade 9 current edition combined with an older edition to sub out books DD will not read.

Shurley English 8

Spelling Workout H

Vocabulary Lit Level 1

Article of the week

My writing syllabus from years of homeschooling

Math:

Foerster's Algebra 1 with Home study Companion

AoPS Algebra? or maybe just alcumus? 

SS:

Human Odyssey and History Odyssey completing Early Modern and Modern level 2  

World History Unfolding DBQ

Oak Meadow Civics

SCI:

Science Exploration Advanced + Hewitt Conceptual Physics because I own it.

Foreign Language:

Russian

Latin

Extras:

Piano

Swim Team

Edited by Ms Brooks

We're mostly continuing on with the next course in the sequence for most subjects. Both Trinqueta and I prefer to outsource classes as much as possible. Next year's lineup:

Landry Academy:

British Literature

Anatomy and Physiology

Spanish 4

Latin 3

Ancient and Medieval Art History

Microsoft Office Applications

Trinqueta will continue with AOPS Algebra 2 at WTMA.

We'll do logic in summer session at Landry and composition using Homeschool Connections taped classes over the summer.

• Like 1

We're mostly continuing on with the next course in the sequence for most subjects. Both Trinqueta and I prefer to outsource classes as much as possible. Next year's lineup:

Landry Academy:

British Literature

Anatomy and Physiology

Spanish 4

Latin 3

We'll do logic in summer session at Landry and composition using Homeschool Connections taped classes over the summer.

Would you kindly share which taped class have you chosen for summer?(Middle school or high school from Home school connections)and the charges for summer writing course?Are they 2 months long?

Thanks in advance.....

• Like 1

Edited to say:  We started already, so I am going to rewrite what I posted to reflect what we've already dropped/added.  I'm also more organized here with specific titles...

Bible: Route 66 (survey of all books of the Bible)

Math: Saxon 8

LA: Sequential Spelling, different forms of writing (essays, note taking, outlining, etc)

History: Augustus Caesar's World, Archimedes and the Door of Science, Aesop's Fables

Literature: The Golden Fleece, The Children's Homer, The Jungle Book, Animal Farm, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island

Geography: It's a Jungle Out There, The Story of David Livingstone, US States Geography Workbook

Science: History of Medicine, The Way We Work, Human Anatomy Coloring Book

Natural Sciences: Earth: A Visual Guide, Botany in a Day, A View from the Oak

German: Komm Mit series

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 2

I posted this on the 9th grade thread, too. I don't know if Dd12 will be doing 8th or 9th grade next year. I probably won't know which it was for a couple of years. I'd like it to be worth high school credit in case.

Math: Finish AoPS Intro to Algebra and do Jacobs Geometry.
Science: Apologia Biology
Latin: continue our slow progress through Wheelock's I signed her up for Latin 1 at Lukeion.
Foreign Language: Spanish I, but I'm not sure which curriculum
Logic: Traditional Logic She'd rather not do this next year, and I think I will acquiesce since she is doing a couple of other things on my say so. 
Geography: I'd like to do AP Human Geography, but I don't know where to start with that. I need to spend some time figuring high school things out. I'm still not sure if I want to go the AP route.
History/Literature (2 credits): TOG Year 2, R level, with Lively Art of Writing

If I decide to make this 9th grade, should I include anything else? PE? Music? I may give her the choice of meeting either a PE or fine arts requirement since we are not doing formal logic.

She does Civil Air Patrol, TKD (typically 5+ hours per week), and piano, but I would like to eventually list those as extracurricular activities and not classes. She has recently started guitar lessons as well.

She will be doing Mapping the World with Art, Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings with the family, and various other things with the other kids. I'm not sure how this will all work out, but it looks like I may be giving her a credit for LLLotR as well. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 1

I think we have ours mostly set.

Math - AoPS Intro to Algebra 

LA - WWS 3 and AG reinforcement

Science - Derek Owens Physical Science

History - U.S. History - not sure what curriculum yet

Music - Suzuki Violin

Latin - Lukeion 3 (waffling on that one at this point)

PE - nordic ski team and swim team

DD will be 14yo but I'll count next year as 8th.  We always work a year "behind."

I homeschool like I write papers.  I write the paper first then go back and write the outline.   As we homeschool weekly, I record what we do and a plan emerges as we go.  It's crazy but it is the way my brain works (or doesn't Lol!).

A couple of things will affect how next year turns out.  First, DH is losing his job.  We have no idea what the next year will hold for us as a family.  Also, I have a ton of resources on my shelves and this is my last child.  It feels like an all you can eat buffet every day - a little of this and a little of that to the point where my plate is overflowing.

Math - we'll finish R&S 8 this year, but I don't have a plan for Algebra.  I have Teaching Textbooks but it might be too wordy for her.  We like traditional.

English - continue working through R&S English 7

Memoria Press Lit.  Treasure Island?  Wind in the Willows?  Anne of Green Gables?  I have quite a few on my shelf, so I'll pick whatever suits my fancy at the time.

American History - working our way through A History of US and MP's The Story of the Thirteen Colonies & the Great Republic together.  We'll continue the same next year.

World History - a mishmash of K-12's Human Odyssey vol. 1, Mills' The Book of the Ancient World, World History Detective, and history encyclopedias

MP's Christian Studies IV and New Testament at church.

Possibly the Iliad using MP's DVDs

Science - encyclopedias and ?

Latin - we're in Lively Latin Big Book 2.  Neither of us is strong with Latin, so I'm unsure where we'll be by the end of the year.

I have so many cool books on my shelf that I want to use and this is my last chance/kid.     It's going to be a fun year.  :)

• Like 1

My DS is doing this for 8th:

Algebra 1 - Foerster + Math Without Borders video instruction

English - using various resources such as Elements of Style, Essential Literary Terms, Writing With Skill 2, and a "good books" bookclub

Physical Science - started Derek Owens in October = huge success for us! (we tried AIM Academy's Intro to Physics & Chem but it didn't work out)

American History - using The American Odyssey

Spanish - Visual Link + Practice Makes Perfect workbooks and Duolingo

Socratic Discussion with WTMA - loved it

Art of Argument

• Like 2

Would you kindly share which taped class have you chosen for summer?(Middle school or high school from Home school connections)and the charges for summer writing course?Are they 2 months long?

Thanks in advance.....

I think we'll use the high school level classes, but I'll check them both out when I buy the subscription. Homeschool Connections costs $30/month for access to all their taped classes. We'll do what we can get done from mid May to mid August. They do offer teacher support for an extra fee depending on the specific class and level of support, but we won't do that.

I also plan to use their Wheelock's 1 class to review before T takes Latin 3 at Landry in the fall. That class covers the second half of Wheelock and 38 Fabulae.

Once you pay your $30, you've got access to all their classes so we might do some lit or formal logic.

Oh my rising 8th grader is very much planning with me already ;-)  She wants to skip 8th grade and just start high school.  She's already doing algebra and R&S 8 grammar....so her 8th grade year looks more like high school in how we are picking subjects.  Less subjects done on a higher level.  I don't want her graduating early, so I plan on calling it 8th, but she will be getting some hs credits knocked off. 

The current plan:

Math: Jacobs Geometry 

English/Lit:  LLLOTR (with her 9th grade brother), finish SWI-B-CC.  

Science:  Rainbow Year 1

History/Lit:  Bibliplan Middle Ages 

Foreign Language:  ASL II (Landry)

PE: walk/run and weightlifting 3x/week.  Volleyball YMCA team if she opts to do it.  

Arts: probably theater production class lasting the entire school year.  And lots of art...video lessons from Creating a Masterpiece.  Choir sings two programs at church.  

Other:  American Heritage Girls.  She will be doing a lot of planning for the next level badge and teaching younger kids.  Will somehow make this something...leadership ? And she volunteers at church in the nursery. 

I know Lit shows up with English and History. I think the majority of the Lit will be that Lit program.  But I still want her reading some books tied to History.  Will figure out how much from each when we get there. 

Tess, when my now-19yo was in high school, we counted her teen leadership in 4-H as community service...including planning time and leading time. She accumulated a LOT of community service that way as she was T/L in 2-3 projects. Are you doing any AHG badges related to your other subjects?

My 7th gr. this year is adding the Freshwater/Marine Biology badge to her 2nd semester Marine Science and we are off tomorrow to visit our coastal habitat.

For my darling, dyslexic dd:

Math: continue with Math Mammoth and Math Essentials combo, pre-algebra

Language Arts: Spelling Workout; BraveWriter Lifestyle; some writing instruction tbd

Foreign language: Probably Spanish with Mango languages through our library, or through Duolingo.

Literature: continued free reading. Family read-alouds, inspired (for 2016-17) by the show Once Upon a Time, plus various books of interest in science, history, geography, etc., as part of our Afternoon Basket.

Science and history, etc., are all interest led at this point.

I keep eying the Creek Edge task cards, but don't want to part with the money!

Edited by momto2Cs

Bible - independent Bible reading, maybe a devotional or worldview book along side

History - undecided until I see what co-op offers

Literature - possibly drawing from AmblesideOnline or making a list to go with history

Science - apologia physical at co-op

Math - Saxon 1 / 2

Composition - Thinking in Threes + homemade writing assignments

Latin - maybe Henle - the first third or so.

Art of Argument - I'd like to think we'll get to this, but we may not have enough time. 

English - possibly SWO H, undecided about grammar

• Like 1

So far this is what I am planning for my daughters 8th grade year.....

Notgrass From Adam to Us (She was going to use HOD Mission to Modern Marvels, but we might take a break from HOD to try something else.)

Bob Jones Earth and Space DLO

Writing with Skill 2

Analytical Grammar

Math U See Pre Algebra

Phonetic Zoo

I've got the primary stuff planned and mostly bought, but most of the "extras" are up in the air. My plan so far:

Math: SYRWTL Maths 3 and Patty Paper Geometry

Grammar: Giggly Guide to Grammar

Writing: WWS (finish 1 and move to 2) or Bravewriter

Spelling: right now, it's R&S, but if that doesn't work, we'll try Spelling You See. This a child that NEEDS spelling practice still.

Science/History/English: Build Your Library 8th Grade (history of science)

Music: choir, maybe some extra theory (kind of doubt it, though)

Still not sure:

Art: The Virtual Instructor or weekly class at the local co-op (if we have time)

Foreign Language: maybe ASL with Signing Time or French with...something, if we have time. She's expressed interest in learning both, but it's not a priority right now.

DD is a competitive tumbler, so a lot of it depends on her gym and competition schedules.

This is the first time since Pre-K I am really trying to do a mostly-all-in-one curriculum. We need to streamline stuff just to get everything done, and I don't have time to put together history and science like I have in the past.

Of course, now I'm thinking of tweaking my plans. Still doing BYL 8, but I changed my plans for English and math. Right now, this is what I'm considering:

Math: Tabletclass Algebra 1

English: Winter Promise LA 7, possible outside literature class

Spelling: Spelling You See

Science/History/Literature: BYL 8

Music: choir

Art: The Virtual Instructor

Foreign Language: Ecoutez, Parlez

PE: competitive tumbling, recreational gymnastics, recreational horseback riding

Edited by Aurelia

This is our current year (8th grade), and next year may be a gap year or it may be 9th (haven't decided yet)

English

WWS 1 and 2 

MCT Magic Lens 1

Shakespeare course at co-op

Math

AOPS Intro Algebra B and Intro to C & P online classes

Science

Biology (co-op lab taught by me, using Wilson's Life on Earth and Campbell's Concepts and Connections as texts)

Science Olympiad

History

Human Odyssey 2 (well, some of it  :sad: )

History has been a hodgepodge (fail) of things  :tongue_smilie: why is this so hard with this child??

Foreign Language

Japanese 1 (BYU Independent Study)

Fine Arts

Piano

Music Theater

Shakespeare production

Morning Basket

ETA:  Updated on 8/30 as I've made lots of changes.

This thread has been so helpful!

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Math - AoPS Intro Counting and Probability, AoPS Number Theory, and then roll into AoPS Algebra B when done with those  She decided that she's done with AoPS for now, so Geometry at WHA using Jurgenson

Writing - undecided between IEW Level B or WTMA Expository Writing 1

Science - this is tough because we're currently behind - need to start Earth Science with Elemental Science soon and the follow that with something else...Physics for the Logic Stage?  Physical Science, but not sure which spine.

History/Theology/Literature - Great Conversations 2 @ Wilson Hill Academy   This change was the biggest.  She enjoyed Great Conversations 1 last year but came to me and told me that she wanted to cut back on the # of online classes and go back to me teaching her.  So, I quickly read 8filltheheart's Homeschooling at the Helm and created a history course just for her.  We're doing US history using The History of US, which she is loving, with Great Courses DVDs, documentaries, living books, and a few other resources. 

Theology - she'll join in on a philosophy of religious studies course her dad is teaching her older brother, but we're also doing Route 66.

Literature - LLfLOTR  - she chose this  :001_smile: and we are both very excited

Grammar - probably finish up Rod and Staff

Latin - Latin Alive 1 with WHA

Art/Music - considering The Virtual Instructor and then need something for music theory and appreciation

Logic - Logic 1 @ WHA The Art of the Argument

After 7 years, she just quit competitive gymnastics and wants to pursue diving and track & field. No idea how those will fit into our lives, but neither is as demanding as gymnastics so should be doable.

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

After 7 years, she just quit competitive gymnastics and wants to pursue diving and track & field. No idea how those will fit into our lives, but neither is as demanding as gymnastics so should be doable.

Just an aside, an acquaintance of mine switch from doing competitive gym to diving as a freshman in college, and ended up on the Olympic dive team as a senior. Have fun with her new adventure!
  • Like 4

Here's what I've come up with so far, it's changed several times already.

Math: Saxon 8/7

Science: BFSU Volume 3

History/Literature: Story of the World Vol. 4 and BF Books' Modern American & World History Intermediate 

Language Arts: Spelling Power (she still needs to work on spelling!), Rod and Staff English 7.  Maybe Writing with Skill, but probably not.  Figuratively Speaking.  

Spanish: Maybe Spanish for Children Primer A...I don't know.  I'm planning on putting her in a Spanish I online class through the University of Nebraska Online High School in ninth grade, so I don't know if we really need to worry about spanish for eighth grade or not

Other: The Fallacy Detective.  I'm going to have her choose one of the Great Courses or something similar that she will be required to watch, take notes on, summarize, etc.  

Extra-curriculars: Continue with guitar lessons and 4-H projects.  She shows steers and does sewing, shooting sports, and poultry.  

Edited to add: I just purchased The Writer's Jungle and Help for High School, so we will be trying Brave Writer style writing.  We were also looking at the online course offerings, and I love that they are only 4-6 weeks long.  My DD thought a couple of the classes looked fun and interesting, so we might try one later this spring or summer, and another one next year.  

Edited by FarmingMomma

We have loved Classical Conversations Challenge A this year and are jumping right into Ch.B in the fall:
Henle Latin - 2/3 of book 1

Intro and Intermediate Logic by Nance

History of Science

Saxon or MUS Alg 1/2 -not sure yet

LTW  and Lit

Current Events/ Mock Trial

Still looking for a good Bible Study

We might do RS German this summer if we can get it re-loaded. She loves it.

Also on-line art lessons for fun. 

She'll also do Shakespeare Camp, Festival of One Act Plays, Karate, Violin, Latin Camp, babysit and become an Auntie  :001_wub:

Edited by laughing lioness
  • Like 2

Spanish: Maybe Spanish for Children Primer A...I don't know. I'm planning on putting her in a Spanish I online class through the University of Nebraska Online High School in ninth grade

If you want a great intro to Spanish without spending too much time per day, check out Getting Started With Spanish.

• Like 3

I'll have my last 8th grader next year. The current plan is.....in flux, but here is what we have so far:

Math -- We're in MUS Algebra 1 this year, but it's harder for her than I thought it would be, so I am looking at doing Foerster's Algebra 1 with her next year, focus on the word problems, to really solidify algebra before moving on.

History -- American Odyssey for spine, plus most of SL's Core 100 reading & literature books. Am also looking at Land of Fair Play (I have a really old copy) for the civics part of things.

Language Arts -- WWS 2, literature guides for 4 of the novels we read (Red Badge of Courage, Call of the Wild, Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, I think), plus Memoria Press's American lit short story/poetry guide.

Science -- Earth Science using a public school textbook set.

Latin -- We've been using Latin Alive 2 and it's kicking our butts. We spend forever on it. So I want some other program and we'll do their Year 2...hoping that she'll get another pass through the stuff that's hard for her. She'll be doing Spanish @ CC for high school. ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME????

ETA: We're starting Jenney's First Year Latin this week, doing it orally for review. Hopefully it will be easy. Hopefully next year we'll get thru 2nd year latin. Hopefully.

Other -- Some art history with lots of drawing mixed in, possibly finish Argument Builder over the summer. We'll continue to be involved in American Heritage Girls, where she's probably going to plan & put on a workshop for the younger girls this year. Youth group

We're looking into some 1-week summer session classes @ our local state U this summer, to get some outside art teaching. There's even one that mixes marine bio (our current science) with art.

• Like 1

Just an aside, an acquaintance of mine switch from doing competitive gym to diving as a freshman in college, and ended up on the Olympic dive team as a senior. Have fun with her new adventure!

Targhee - that's an exciting possibility!  I'll pass that news onto her.  She just observed her first diving class and was adamant about NOT ever diving from the higher platform.  We'll see  :001_smile:

If you want a great intro to Spanish without spending too much time per day, check out Getting Started With Spanish.

That's what she's using right now, although it hasn't been a high priority, so she hasn't gotten very far in it.  Maybe we'll just continue with it next year and then do online Spanish 1 in 9th grade.  She is also using Rosetta Stone Spanish.  

Edited by FarmingMomma

Tentative plan: really only posting so that I can see what it looks like typed out instead of in my head. :)

Bible: Sword Studies, not sure which book yet.

Grammar: Maybe Analytical Grammar, maybe CLE, maybe something else...

Vocab.: English from the Roots Up book 2.  Just making cards and reviewing.

Writing: Writing With Skill II or Maxwell's School Composition

Literature: Pull from various book lists, Figuratively Speaking or EIL...not sure how deep I want to go yet.

History: BF Modern America and World

Science: BJU Space and Earth....maybe....

Math: MUS Algebra

French: don't know yet.

Other: Art of Argument or Thinking Toobox, Family studies such as Notgrass Uncle Sam and You, CM picture studies, poetry, geography

Ballet

Homeschool Band: Flute

Piano

Youth Choir

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Landry Academy:

British Literature

Anatomy and Physiology

Spanish 4

Latin 3

Can you tell me what you're using for Anatomy and Physiology? We're having a hard time finding materials that aren't too advanced (high-school and college level). 

Thanks! 

Tess, when my now-19yo was in high school, we counted her teen leadership in 4-H as community service...including planning time and leading time. She accumulated a LOT of community service that way as she was T/L in 2-3 projects. Are you doing any AHG badges related to your other subjects?

My 7th gr. this year is adding the Freshwater/Marine Biology badge to her 2nd semester Marine Science and we are off tomorrow to visit our coastal habitat.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This year she has no badges lining up with her subjects. They will brainstorm this summer for the next year. If we get lucky they will pick something that lines up.