Menu

SAT subject test for 5th grader

Lukeion has recommended that kids can take SAT 2 Latin this year after Latin 2 for those not planning to continue their Latin studies. We will continue, but DD wants to give it a try in June since it's only 1 hour.

I called the College Board and the woman claimed that kids 13 and under do not need a photo ID.

Has anyone encountered difficulties when entering the SAT site with a child under 13? She mentioned going to the notary and getting an ID. I didn't know notaries do that sort of thing.

What else do I need to do to prepare DD for that day? We've never taken a standardized test.

I called the College Board and the woman claimed that kids 13 and under do not need a photo ID.

Has anyone encountered difficulties when entering the SAT site with a child under 13? She mentioned going to the notary and getting an ID

Can't find for the subject tests but you need a photo ID for the SAT.

I would get a non-driver ID done at DMV if she doesn't have a passport. Safer than doing a notary.

"If you are in the 8th grade or below at the time of testing:

You do not need to provide a photo to register.

If you are testing for Talent Search purposes, you can present a Talent Search Program ID Form; a photo is not required.

If you are not testing for Talent Search purposes, you must present an acceptable photo ID in order to test."

https://sat.collegeboard.org/register/special-circumstances

The gatekeeper at our local test site did check my son's passport before letting us walk him to the classroom. He was taking the ACT but it is the same gatekeepers for ACT/SAT/AP at that test site.

Bear in mind that SAT with and without writing, and SAT subject tests are on the same test dates. Your daughter should confirm with the invigilator that she is in the correct testing room before sitting down just in case.

ETA:

She needs to practice once on coloring the bubbles. Bring two to three pencils (no mechanical) and a good eraser. Also bring or wear a watch.

ETA:

We are going for the June date for the new SAT and there are fewer testing sites. We could only find two nearby so hopefully we get assigned to either one.

Other dates have more test sites but Saturday testing crash with my kids german class so we opt for June.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Lukeion has recommended that kids can take SAT 2 Latin this year after Latin 2 for those not planning to continue their Latin studies. We will continue, but DD wants to give it a try in June since it's only 1 hour.

Has anyone encountered difficulties when entering the SAT site with a child under 13? She mentioned going to the notary and getting an ID. I didn't know notaries do that sort of thing.

What else do I need to do to prepare DD for that day? We've never taken a standardized test.

My son recently took the SAT and there were a number of younger kids at the test site. When I looked at the attendance sheet there was an N (for No) indicated under the photo ID column for all the younger ones so I am supposing that you won't need photo ID. BUT, these things are so proctor/ center supervisor dependent! Even the way the rules are read out in every classroom where students are taking the exam can be different and while some classes finish at 12.45pm, some may take as long as 1.30pm for the kids to come out (I know because I took the test with my son on the same day out of curiosity).

I would do what Arcadia suggested re the DMV state ID. Or you can go to a notary and have the form linked here notarized: https://sat.collegeboard.org/register/id-requirements

I believe Crimson Wife mentioned her DD having problems with ID when she took the SAT younger than 8th grade. So I am strongly for preparing for the just-in-case scenarios.

All of the above are the general SAT related stuff. About subject tests...since the test is an hour long, she probably won't need to pack snacks unless she also plans to take another subject test on the same day. You can take up to 3 subject tests in one day. Pack a smaller bag instead of a huge backpack because there might not be much space below the desk to store belongings.

Other than that, just do as much practice test prepping as she needs to feel comfortable. Good luck!

Edited by quark

Mine took the ACT when she wasn't yet 13. The sheet she received as her entrance ticket indicated that no photo ID was required. However, because we'd read stories where the 'gatekeepers' were clueless, we went ahead & got her a state id (non-drivers' license ID). She showed it, but didn't need to. It all depends on where she's taking it. All the other advice was spot-on based on what DD experienced. (She's taken the Greek Mythology exam several years running & a couple of years of the Iowa tests (ITBS), so she was familiar with bubbling strategy & watching her time already.)

Good luck!

The College Board has a link to the appropriate form on this page.  Just print it out, fill it out, and take it to a notary.  We used this process for the PSAT and it worked just fine.  (In our state, notary services are free, which was a bonus.)

I was looking at SAT Subject tests recently. Do you have to take the SAT itself prior to taking the SAT subject tests?

Nope :) Let your boys have fun coloring bubbles.

There is also a "quantity discount". The 2nd and 3rd test on the same day is cheaper than the first.

• Like 1

WHAT! For real? Cool! I love a bargain!

" $26 Basic Subject Test Fee (per registration)

+$26 Language with Listening Tests (per test)

+$18 All other Subject Tests (per test)"

E.g.

1 test it is $26 (registration) +$18 (or +$26 for language with listening)

2 tests it is $26+$18/26 +$18/26

3 tests it is $26+$18/26 +$18/26 + $18/26

The registration fee is the same whether you take 1,2 or 3 tests.

Besides, my DD felt SO grown up going to the DMV to get her license-and adores pulling it out any time people are checking Id's, whether she needs it or not (airports, the federal reserve bank....). It was like a coming of age ritual or something to actually have that formal card :)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for advice and your experiences. Getting a passport means going to downtown SF - we ought to but it's like the last resort. I'm going to get an ID from DMV and get that form notarized.

Arcadia, DD is in Clover Creek physics (teacher uses Hewitt for those who are unfamiliar with the class and our kids are in the same class) and hasn't had trig. She's still working through AOPS Intro to Algebra. I haven't followed closely enough with her to know whether she can take SAT 2 physics. It looks like she is not according to the brief description on College Board. Can you confirm this? Her physics knowledge does not go beyond the textbook/lab work, so she is not doing any sort of advanced physics reading nor will I prepare her for this test with anything beyond Hewitt.

Can someone please confirm what the College Board woman told me? She said that I would need to submit a letter via postal mail in order to keep SAT 2 subject scores; otherwise it's deleted from their system by the end of June. Seems like such short period of time between test date and end of month.

Since there is a discount, she may to do either Spanish or French, but she hasn't had an official 3rd year of either, just private tutoring.

Arcadia, DD is in Clover Creek physics (teacher uses Hewitt for those who are unfamiliar with the class and our kids are in the same class) and hasn't had trig. She's still working through AOPS Intro to Algebra. I haven't followed closely enough with her to know whether she can take SAT 2 physics. It looks like she is not according to the brief description on College Board. Can you confirm this?

Can someone please confirm what the College Board woman told me? She said that I would need to submit a letter via postal mail in order to keep SAT 2 subject scores; otherwise it's deleted from their system by the end of June. Seems like such short period of time between test date and end of month.

I was told SAT sciences is best after honors sciences but that is a rough guideline. Best is for her to take the practice test using the Collegeboard book, Princeton Review and/or Barrons and see if she feels ready. The libraries have those test prep books.

SAT physics do not allow calculators.

You do need to let collegeboard know by end of June. Since there is score choice and the UC system is not going to find fault with scores taken before 9th, you can just opt to keep the scores.

However I don't know if UC would take SAT or AP scores before 7th grade for credit by exam (a-g) unless you intend to grade skip or do early college.

You do need a cd player (discman) for the listening tests if I remember correctly. I might have confused AP and SAT but I think both needs.

ETA;

This part is why we are waiting for DS11 to be in 7th since we do not intend to do early college. We intend to go by the exam route and not the a-g route but the exam route page doesn't say how old the scores can be.

"Some courses in mathematics and language other than English completed in grades 7 and 8 may be counted toward the 11 courses."

Edited by Arcadia

Thanks, Arcadia! And darn the UC system. I waver all the time, send DD to HS, no homeschool and let's go the exam route. I don't necessarily need the SAT 2 Latin - it just happens to be DD's It language, so it's to reflect her interest as a younger student. Give the admission officer some idea what she was like as a kid.

Now that I understand the 7th grade requirement (and no, DD won't be going to college early) I can plan a bit better. We'll do modern languages after 7th or 8th after more exposure. For Latin, I don't know whether it's wise to take it after 7th grade. It's grammar focused so taking it after Latin 2 or 3 seems best. Taking it after Latin 4, maybe not so wise? I need to post this question on the HS board.

I was referring to the SAT physics for A-G since they want two years preferably three and they listed Bio, Chem and Physics under using SAT scores.

The SAT Latin for your daughter won't be as affected if she is going to take a SAT or AP exam for another LOTE later.

"Some courses in mathematics and language other than English completed in grades 7 and 8 may be counted toward the 11 courses."

I skipped this part when reading a-g requirements. Does it mean that we will have to redo US History in high school? My DD really hoped to take the test after 8th and be done with it. She hates it.

I skipped this part when reading a-g requirements. Does it mean that we will have to redo US History in high school? My DD really hoped to take the test after 8th and be done with it. She hates it.

I don't know. To be safe, maybe opt for the October test date when she is in 9th grade. However the summer before 9th is accepted so the June test date might be alright.

The statement only talks about the math and LOTE courses though but do not provide guidance about exams taken before high school.

The fulfiling requirements by exam page does not give any guidance on exams taken before high school. It only have the minimum scores required.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/

When you complete a UC application, there is a small box after where you enter your courses for you to explain unusual circumstances or additional courses. That might be an option for a case like this one. There isn't a lot of space for that AND explaining other information you might want to add there though. There is also an opportunity via the personal statement to explain her ability to customize her education to finish certain courses earlier.

ETA: one more thing to remember is that if your student is a very strong candidate, there is a chance that they are not going to nitpick on one non-math/LOTE course taken before high school. They do consider students "holistically" as they say on the website.

Edited by quark

Just FYI, my dc both took the regular SAT in 7th grade. They were the only non-high school students, and my ds, who was rather short for his age, said he definitely got some funny looks. Maybe a few comments.

I know this varies depending on your area, and some places actually have lots of young kids taking tests. My area doesn't, and some kids might find that stressful.

• Like 2