Menu

2nd Grade Planning Thread

amyc78

I'm interested to hear how you will wrap up 1st grade, what your summer plans are and what you are planning for 2nd grade in 2016/2017...

I'll go first:

Spring 2016 (1st grade)-

Finish CLE Math 100

Continue AAR 2 and ETC series

Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting

Finish SOTW Vol 1

Continue Sonlight LA1 copywork

Classical Conversations Cycle 1

Finish TheOlogy

Read, read, read

Summer 2016

Lots of reading

Lots of outside time

Art Camp

Horse Camp

Math and Geography games

2016/2017

CLE Math 200

AAR 2/3

AAS 1

Getty Dubay Intro to Cursive

Queen's Language Lessons?

SOTW Vol 2

Classical Conversations Foundations

Interest-led Science

Books, books, books

Start some sort of Character Education / Virtues Study (Integrity Time or Our 24 Family Ways)

Art, soccer, gymnastics, horseback riding, piano (not all at the same time)

Mine is in ps for this year, but will be returning to homeschooling in the fall. These are my plans so far:

LA: LLFT 2 or 3, SYS Wild Tales, Writing Strands (possibly), Pictures in Cursive (possibly)

Math: I'm thinking of using Miquon as I have the whole set, but I'm not totally sure yet

Geography: Trail Guide to World Geography, and Beautiful Feet Books Geography

Science: not a clue yet

Bible: Our 24 Family Ways

Other: choir, and not sure what else yet

We're about to have a newborn join us, so we're going to "turn the page" as we go from 1st into 2nd.

So to finish off 1st, I hope to get through these sometime before the end of July (after taking a long break in March for the new baby):

FLL 1

WWE 1, not the workbook - which I combine with SOTW

Spelling Workout A

Treasures readers and Phonics Pathways

SOTW 1, but probably won't finish completely this year

Daily Geography 1

Human body unit based of off Guest Hollows Little Otter Anatomy

Then 2nd grade will be:

FLL 2

WWE 2, again in combination with SOTW

Finish SOTW 1, then 2

Daily Geography 2

Continue BFSU sequence, maybe with some review to bring in DD4, but I think materials/rocks is next

For reading/spelling, I really want to give Spalding another try. Everything we're doing now is "working", but I do feel that Spalding is a superior method. So we'll see.

I'd love to add Artistic Pursuits, Spanish, and more morning time stuff for relgion, but again, we'll see. Having a 4th is kinda scaring me. :)

• Like 2

We're about to have a newborn join us, so we're going to "turn the page" as we go from 1st into 2nd.

So to finish off 1st, I hope to get through these sometime before the end of July (after taking a long break in March for the new baby):

FLL 1

Spelling Workout A

Daily Geography 1

Then 2nd grade will be:

FLL 2

Finish SOTW 1, then 2

Daily Geography 2

Continue BFSU sequence, maybe with some review to bring in DD4, but I think materials/rocks is next

For reading/spelling, I really want to give Spalding another try. Everything we're doing now is "working", but I do feel that Spalding is a superior method. So we'll see.

I'd love to add Artistic Pursuits, Spanish, and more morning time stuff for relgion, but again, we'll see. Having a 4th is kinda scaring me. :)

My fifth is due in June, so I know how you feel! My DH keeps encouraging me to let them stay in ps for another year (they've only been for this one year) but then I would have to deal with waking them up early, rushing them out the door, and either pick-up or drop-off for my kindergartener. Not to mention the grumps when they get home from school! A relaxed homeschooling year sounds much more pleasant to me :)

• Like 4

My fifth is due in June, so I know how you feel! My DH keeps encouraging me to let them stay in ps for another year (they've only been for this one year) but then I would have to deal with waking them up early, rushing them out the door, and either pick-up or drop-off for my kindergartener. Not to mention the grumps when they get home from school! A relaxed homeschooling year sounds much more pleasant to me :)

Yes! Listening to my local friends talk about the hoops they have to jump through in the public schools (that have nothing to do with academics) certainly doesn't make me want to go that route with a newborn either.

Guess I'm just spoiled, never having done the Drop-Off/Pick-Up car lines before. ;)

• Like 1

Yes! Listening to my local friends talk about the hoops they have to jump through in the public schools (that have nothing to do with academics) certainly doesn't make me want to go that route with a newborn either.

Guess I'm just spoiled, never having done the Drop-Off/Pick-Up car lines before. ;)

We are just under a kilometre from the school, so my kids walk in fall/spring, and take the winter bus in winter. But for K, since it's only half day, you either pick up after for mornings or drop of for afternoons. I haven't done ps K, though, so I've thankfully never had to deal with that either.

My DD6 (a December birthday), is finishing 1st before June and starting 2nd in September. We have about a 3 week break planned in March for welcoming a new baby.

Current work and what we'll do to finish 1st:

• Math Mammoth 1B - we are using pages selectively from this (with MUS blocks) and will have worked through all the concepts by May.
  • HWT 'My Printing Book' - nearly finished
  • Explode the Code 2
  • 100 EZ Lessons (at lesson 77, not sure how much more of it we will do, as we are taking a break with readers right now and she's flying with those).
  • Before March, we will finish the first 1/2 of SOTW 2, with AG
  • Habitat study with First Nature Encyclopedia
  • Writing/literature: Jot it Down-style writing topics/exercises and some copywork with daily journaling; wrapping up an assortment of Bible and poetry memorization; and lots of read-alouds, from Bible chapters to chapter books to picture books, and some narration.
  • Art study with Usborne Art Treasury projects and discussion about The Met daily art calendar.
  • PE - ballet class and weekly homeschooler gym time.

Summer - free play, time outdoors, read-alouds, gardening, handwork projects, swimming!

For 2nd in September:

• Math Mammoth 2A/B - we will see how far we get in this next year.
  • Calculadders
  • HWT Printing Power
  • Explode the Code 3&5
  • Jot It Down-style writing projects, journaling, memory work, read alouds.
  • The second half of SOTW 2, with AG
  • Anatomy study drawn from a variety of resources
  • Art - drawing program (TBD)
  • PE - fall swimming lessons, homeschooler gym time, possibly winter ballet lessons

As with my rising 4th grade son, I am focusing on the "less is more" idea...

Bravewriter lifestyle

SM Math 2b, 3

Science- mostly interest led, we're a very science-as-hobby family, so I don't worry much about this

history- SOTW

Language Arts- our focus is on our local language (French) and she has a complete LA course for hat from Sainte Anne's in Paris.  In addition, we do English spelling (Apples and Pears) and additional grammar of my own making.  

Literature- hoping to attack literature and writing as sort of one subject, using many resources, including BW, Teaching the Classics, and Barbara Mericonda's wonderful books on writing.  

Morning Time for bits and pieces

Yes and I remind myself that a year later with a toddler isn't necessarily gonna be any easier! Better to be home and all learn together as we go :)

• Like 1

We'll wrap up our current schedule around May.  My signature has those listed.  Then we'll take June off and start back in July.  

We are beginning the process of having our first grader tested for dyslexia or another learning disorder.  He is struggling with reading/spelling but doing excellent in other subjects.  So when I get those results back we might be changing things up to meet his needs more effectively. 

My plan right now is...

ELTL - 1 or 2? I'm not sure.  Probably 1 unless there are major improvements in his reading between now and then.

Singapore Math and Beast Academy 2 when that is released.  

All About Reading - we're at the beginning of level 2 now.  Yet again, this will depend on his test results.

All About Spelling - he's just begun level 1 of this.  Again, depends on his test results.

Pentime 4 cursive 

History and Science will probably be Wayfarers Medieval History and Anatomy.  Possibly.  Not sure yet.  And probably adding in Home Science Adventures kit cause they love the ones we're doing this year.

We've had a slow going year since we are doing so much outsourcing this year. I'm a teacher at a local coop and run 3 large classes. I won't be doing that next year. I'm ready to get back to the roots of what we loved about homeschooling and being home with my children!

This spring and summer we will focus on completing the following....

CLE Math 100

CLE LTR 100 & Reading 100

CLE Social Studies 100

CLE Bible 100

Next year for 2nd grade we plan on doing the following as basics..

Math: CLE 200

Reading: CLE 200

L.A.: CLE 200

Next year for 2nd grade we plan on adding some extra's in a couple times a week, but not daily..

Bible: CLE 200

History: SOTW 1

Geography: Daily Geography Practice by Evan Moor

Social Studies: CLE 200

Spelling: AAS 1

We won't be starting the new school year until September. That's the latest we've ever started. We have to use the summer to makeup for the months we've lost in our schooling this year due to all the outsourcing prep work that has taken away from our own homeschooling journey. 

Yes!  I've been anticipating this thread!  We too are expecting a new baby in June - seems to be the theme with these 2nd graders!!  Next fall I'll have 2nd, K, 4 yr old and newborn so I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can, though I don't know if I'm capable of that. :)

Here's how we plan to wrap up Spring 2016:

LOE D

Horizons Math 1b

Prescripts (if there's not much writing that day for LOE)

CC Foundations Cycle 1

FLL 1

Summer 2017:

Likely just focusing on surviving a new baby. :)

Swim lessons

various sports camps

some art classes??

Fall 2016:

LOE Essentials

Horizons 2 or Math Mammoth or Singapore

MOH Vol II

CC Foundations Cycle 2

LOGOS literature list & guides (as well as Bible lesson plans & science)

Noeo Science

Artistic Pursuits book 2

Gospel Story Bible

Picture Smart Bible

Write Through the Bible

I also try to do a morning time where we'll rotate:

various read alouds, 

Leading Little Ones to God,

Favorite Poems of Childhood

Tiger & Tom

Squilt

Probably listen to MOH lesson here as well

Edited by smarson

I've just barely started thinking about next year...so it will be fun to post this now, and then come back later and see how many times I change my mind! :lol:

For the final 14 weeks or so of this school year (I have some updates to make for my siggy!):

• Finishing LOE Foundations D within the next week or so, then doing lots of reading.  Still trying to figure out what else to add for language arts for the rest of the year!
  • Starting RightStart C next week, supplementing with Miquon and Singapore CWP 1
  • Continuing to do history, science, Bible, etc with older brother

For next year:

• Continue RightStart C...eventual goal (I think) is to prepare for Beast Academy (either right after RS C or whenever he is ready).
  • Either LoE Essentials, or maybe Apples and Pears for spelling.
  • NO IDEA for grammar, writing for next year! (I think 2nd-3rd are the hardest years for me to pick language arts for!)
  • US History with older brother (when I did elementary US history with DD, I just made my own booklist...will probably do that again for the boys)
  • Science...probably either interest led or pick a main topic to explore with various books (We've mainly been exploring physics and chemistry related topics this year, so maybe some biology and earth science topics).
  • Bible and Lit with older brother also.  I just pick my own lit list too, with inspiration from a variety of sources
  • Co-op and outside activities....no idea!

We'll wrap up our current schedule around May.  My signature has those listed.  Then we'll take June off and start back in July.  

We are beginning the process of having our first grader tested for dyslexia or another learning disorder.  He is struggling with reading/spelling but doing excellent in other subjects.  So when I get those results back we might be changing things up to meet his needs more effectively. 

My plan right now is...

ELTL - 1 or 2? I'm not sure.  Probably 1 unless there are major improvements in his reading between now and then.

Singapore Math and Beast Academy 2 when that is released.  

All About Reading - we're at the beginning of level 2 now.  Yet again, this will depend on his test results.

All About Spelling - he's just begun level 1 of this.  Again, depends on his test results.

Pentime 4 cursive 

History and Science will probably be Wayfarers Medieval History and Anatomy.  Possibly.  Not sure yet.  And probably adding in Home Science Adventures kit cause they love the ones we're doing this year.

For planning purposes, BA 2A isn't expected to be out until late 2017, with a release schedule of about one book every six months. So, the whole series isn't expect to be out until 2019. :svengo:  

• Like 1

Our end of first grade plans are in my siggie.

We take the entire summer off from school -- Memorial Day to Labor Day. It is glorious! Sacha loves going to camp during the summer -- he will be at sports camp for 4 weeks, theatre camp for 4 weeks, sailing, surf, and music camps for a week each, and then a family vacation to wine country.

Our second grade plans:

Math -- Beast Academy 4 with a little CWP 4, Moems, Borac, and Hands on Equations thrown in.

Logic -- Mindbenders Book 4, Balance Benders Book 1, Visual Discrimination, Logic Countdown, Advancing Through Analogies

Science -- Conceptual Physics through Athena's, How Things Work videos, perhaps Exploration Education 

Literature -- Athena's Intermediate Lit I and II, Mosdos Ruby, and working through the Mensa reading list

Writing -- A combo of Treasured Conversations and WWE3, perhaps begin CAP Writing & Rhetoric 

Grammar, Vocab, Poetry -- MCT Town level, perhaps through Online G3

Spelling -- Switching from Rod & Staff 3 to Megawords 1

Cursive -- New American Cursive copywork with the Startwrite Software

History -- Taking a break before starting SOTW4 to do a year of a Canadian (Modern History through Canadian Eyes), California (Beautiful Feet and Harcourt Reflections: California, A Changing State), and U.S. history (continue History of US) combo. 

Latin -- Getting Started With Latin and Minimus Secundus

French -- Getting Started With French

Hebrew -- Shalom Ivrit Books 2 and 3, Lashon Hatorah (grammar), Bright Beginnings (Torah), Aleph Bet Quest or Aleph Champ Script Writing Books

Computer Science -- Youth Digital Mod Design 1

Extracurrics -- Guitar, soccer, tennis, Parkour, and theatre

Weekly charter school classes -- still TBD, but likely art, music, Spanish, and engineering/Lego

For the rest of this year my focus with my little guy is on his cursive handwriting and completing Math Mammoth 1. I have no idea what summer will be like at this point.

Next year the plan (so far) is:

Math: Math Mammoth 2
Grammar: continuing FLL1&2
Writing: continuing copywork, narration, and dictation, possibly with Writing With Ease. Maybe Writing Strands 2.
Spelling: Spelling Power
History/Geography: Sonlight Core B
Science: undecided
Music: undecided
Art: undecided
Latin: maybe

He is currently finishing up Math Mammoth 1 and summer will consist of copy work, read alouds, narration practice, and addition & subtraction fact practice.

Next year's plan is Heart of Dakota's Bigger Hearts for His Glory with Rod & Staff English 2 and Cheerful Cursive.

Edited by SGPS

For planning purposes, BA 2A isn't expected to be out until late 2017, with a release schedule of about one book every six months. So, the whole series isn't expect to be out until 2019. :svengo:

Wahhh! I don't know why I thought it was sooner. Oh well. I'll still probably start 2 when it comes out and do it behind everything else with Singapore as my main (assuming we like Singapore). My youngest probably won't be ready to read it yet anyway until much later.

• Like 1

Dd benefits from what I've learned from her older siblings, and her schedule reflects theirs somewhat. If things continue avoiding go plan (always feels dangerous to say that):

Math - finish up Miquon, move into BA

Writing - WWE 2

Grammar - finish FLL 2, mice to FLL 3

Reading - hmmm, likely this will fall to the wayside

Spanish - continue with my diy approach

Science - finish BFSU 1, start on BFSU 2

History - SOTW 2

American History - start our diy 3 year cycle, I hope kept my notes...

I love how clean and straight-forward it looks on my little phone screen, all planned it and neat and optimistic like that!

• Like 1

Rest of 1st:

Finish Singapore CWP1, start 2A

AAS1

Finish ZB manuscript 2nd grade

Grammar has been a mashup of FLL1/2 and GWG 1

Continue SOTW 3, expecting to get about 3/4 through by the end of the year

RSO Physics 

Summer:

not sure!

2nd Grade

Singapore 2A or 2B, depending on how far they've gotten

WWE1 or Bravewriter Quiver of Arrows

AAS2

Finish SOTW 3

Beautiful Feet California History

California Native Plant Society nature journaling curriculum

Health (not sure what I want to use, but I need to go over puberty for my 10yo and 7yo girls)

Wrapping up this year:

Poetry and Scripture memorization (IEW & mommy)

MM2A

Prima Latina

BSGFAA Unit 3

Biblioplan/Bible ancient history

Noeo Biology I

AAS2

IEW PAL writing

Cursive writing - NAC + Startwrite

Guitar lessons

HomeArtStudio/Composers/Mind Benders

Summer:  we school year around - usually 6 weeks on, 1 week off plus fun days or long weekends sometimes

So we'll go right into "2nd grade"

Poetry and Scripture memorization (IEW & mommy)

MM2B then MM3A

Prima Latina (slowly)

BSGFAA unit 4

TruthQuest American History for young students

Noeo Chemistry I

AAS3

IEW Bible Heroes

Apologia Worldview series...start with Who Is God?

guitar lessons

swim lessons

HomeArtStudio/Composers/Building Thinking Skills

• Like 1

We are only planning a 2-3 week break starting at the end of May and then we will be doing school every other week or so through the summer to keep our momentum while also allowing for trips and activities.  Most of our skill subjects will just pick up "next year" where ever they left off in May.

Finishing up this year:

Math Mammoth 4a?  He is just about to finish 3b now

Times Tales

70 Must Know Word Problems 3

Mind Benders, Logic Safari, Tin Man Press

EtC 5 and maybe 6

WWE 1

Evan Moor Grammar and Punctuation 2

AAS 2

SOTW 1 - already finished during the first semester

Lap books on ancient Mesopotamia and Rome and map study of Asia and the Middle East

Mr. Q Life Science

Home Art Studio

Ongoing work on Typing Instructor for Kids and Getting Started with Spanish with many supplements

Planned for next year:

Math Mammoth 4 and 5?
Times Tales if needed
70 Must Know Word Problems 4
Mind Benders, Logic Safari, Tin Man Press
EtC 7
WWE 2
Evan Moor Grammar and Punctuation 3
AAS 3 (and 4?)

MCT Mud Trilogy
SOTW 2
Lap books on US Citizenship (leading up to the election) and Europe along with European map study
Mr. Q Earth Science
Home Art Studio

My First Piano Adventures
Typing Instructor for Kids and Getting Started with Spanish with many supplements

DS6 is first grade this year. He will finish up or current curriculum for this year.

Over the summer: Tons of outside time, lots of good books plus a summer reading program.

2016-2017 Plans:

Math: MUS Beta

History: SOTW2 with activity guide and extra fun literature

Reading: Good books at his level

Phonics: EtC6-8

Spelling: word lists from EtC6-8

Handwriting: undecided

Science: This will be through our co-op. I'm hoping Apologia Astronomy. We'll see.

Gym: co-op class

Art: co-op class

Music: He is on the kids worship team at our church.

I don't think I've missed anything...this is, of course, subject to change. ;)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

We are almost finished with schoolwork for the year.  (We started early and took very few breaks.)  

My third will start second grade next year.   :crying:

Math: CLE 200 (I am moving to less teacher intensive and she needs the spiral.)

Grammar: FLL 2

Writing: WWE 2

Spelling: SWO C

Reading: Good books chosen by mom, stretching into some chapter books (This one is reluctant to leave colored pictures behind.)

Science: RSO: Life
History: SOTW 1 (Yay ancients!)

Music and/or Art: Maybe Discovering Great Artists with the oldest...

Everything we're currently doing is in my signature. Over the summer we will continue reading and do lots of math games.

For second grade:

Singapore 2A/2B

ELTL 2 for literature, grammar, copywork, poetry, and picture study

RLTL to cement phonics and spelling rules, pick up wherever we are, we're beginning this now

R.E.A.L science odyssey earth and space

SOTW 2

Artistic Pursuits book 1

Song School Spanish

Lots of library books to round out science and history

To finish the school year and start the next:

CLE Math 100 and (hopefully) starting 200 plus math games

Barton reading, we are on level 3 but really going slowly

Spanish 

Lots and lots of books for science, history, and pleasure. 

For next year we'll be doing (I think, lol, you know how plans are):

History: US History from CWH

Memory: CCMemory delta

Math: MM4/5ish with Borac or BA4

Science: BFSU finish 2, start 3 chemistry and earth science threads

Language arts: MBTP LA 8-10

Music: Hoffman Academy, Classics for kids

Art: I Can Do All Things

PE: YMCA homeschool PE

Extras: We Choose Virtues, golf lessons, Faith Formation, ASL, maybe Boy Scouts

Edited by Syllieann

This is not set in stone...

MFW Adventures in US History

Math Mammoth 2

First Language Lessons

Rod & Staff Spelling 2

Song School Spanish

VPN Self Paced Bible

Continue with our morning time stuff.... Hymn, composer and artist study, Bible memory, Shorter Catechism, poetry

Long Story Short and Catherine Vos Story Bible

Artistic Pursuits 1 (and probably 2)

We *might* start the Hoffman piano lessons next spring, not sure yet

Lots of fun read alouds and outside time

Tumbling class

Edited by calihil
  • Like 1

This summer:

Singapore Intensive Practice 2A-B - we skip around

Critical Thinking Co. Logic puzzles book 3

Evan Moor Handwriting

Lots of reading books

Finish ETC 8

Then maybe a spelling program

She's on the swimteam this summer too.

Second Grade

Math: Singapore Math 3A-B

Language: Evan Moor Daily Language Review, 3

Writing: BraveWriter - Jot it Down

Spanish at the local public school

History: Unit study on India/Unit study on Africa(?)

Science: Unit study states of matter/Unit study plants and animals

Reading: Lots of books

Spelling: Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills, 2

Maybe the Evan Moor Workbook on Maps/Geology? We've been really happy with the scope and her retention of the Language review...

She also is on the gymnastics pre team, does ninja warrior and aerial silks classes, girl scouts

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

Is it awful that I wasn't thinking about this AT ALL until I saw this thread and had the abrupt realization that I will have a 2nd grader next year?

This spring we're doing six-week topical blocks with about 4 subjects per block; I felt like I was trying to do too much and thus was doing nothing well. :glare:  So far I think it's going well--a lot more relaxed, a lot more interest-led.  So I'm not sure how long we'll continue this way.  Here are the things I have rolling around in the back of my head as far as vague future plans, though:

Math: Finish BA3 this year; move on to BA4 in summer or fall

Language Arts: Do some HTTS in the fall to refresh, possibly part or all of a IEW topical book along with freewriting, keep reviewing with MCT's PI book, reading as needed and for pleasure.

Science: Largely interest-led, though I do suggest topics and lean on BFSU to guide our thinking.

Social Studies: Follow the election, feed his passion for geography...Intentional history-studying is currently on hiatus because they're more interested in other things.  Maybe it'll be revived in the fall, but for now I'm fine if we just address topics as they come up.

Typing.  I think he needs to learn how to type, given how much he likes composing stories on the computer.

Latin. I'm considering either GSWL or some sort of roots study because they share my love of words and etymology.

Extracurricular: Guitar for sure. He'll probably keep going with choir, too.  I'm pondering some rec gymnastics again or a sport, simply because he could use some work on coordination.

This summer we'll do more swimming lessons (or a team?), possibly a camp or two (they're just starting to post these), some beach and pool time every week, and whatever topics interest us at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Broccoli is getting quite a few leftovers from when I did some afterschooling with Celery when Celery was in K-2 (i.e. workbooks left unfinished by Celery).

So, wrapping up 1st grade-ish:

Homeschool swim & gym

TKD (testing for green belt in March)

Classes at science museum in April/May/June - kitchen science and I don't remember what the other series is

Daily word ladders grades K-1 (leftover)

Phonics poetry pages (leftover)

Kumon cursive writing words

Kumon word problems grade 1

Hopefully finishing SOTW 1 before September (with Celery - see 4th grade planning thread)

Decide what grade level to put on the IHIP we'll have to submit for next school year - planning to give 1st grade CAT to help me decide

Summer:

One week of day camp at Y in outdoorsy location because still too young for away camp (next year!!)

Maybe 4-H sprout camp (2 nights away camp)

Maybe botany/art day camp at botanical gardens

Rent a cabin for a few days to a week

2nd grade-ish:

TKD

Probably homeschool swim & gym

Probably homeschool choir and theater (if Celery is doing guitar & theater at same time/place)

SOTW 2 with Celery

Have a set reading time, move into chapter books

Kumon word problems grade 2 and maybe 3 (leftovers from Celery, though iirc not written in)

More to be determined - I'm sure I've got some more leftovers lying around, and Broccoli likes to request workbooks etc as well (when he saw the 2nd & 3rd grade word problems books on the shelf, he requested I pleeeease buy 1st grade word problems). To be honest, I probably should spend a bit more time thinking what I want to do with Broccoli - it's just that planning 4th grade for a special needs kid somehow is getting more of my thinking time than planning 2nd grade-ish for a kid who is ahead.

ETA: And continue with Dutch for foreign language (both this year and next). Gah, how could I forget that!

Edited by luuknam

Since we're year round and start the next thing as soon as we finish, everything is staggered. However, here's what my 2nd grader will be starting next year at some point (may be misleading as we just barely started the current levels of some of these):

Math: cle 3, probably some more Ronit Bird

Writing: WWE 3

Grammar: FLL 4

Spelling: AAS 3

Science: unschooled (this child learns more science on her own than I could teach her at this age. And she takes science classes at our co-op)

Geography: continue with Complete Book of Maps and Geography

History: SOTW

Piano: continue Hoffman Academy (which just reached its Kickstarter goal today!)

Latin: I Speak Latin and possibly GSWL

My youngest will be a young second grader and has been slow to learn to read (she just got to long vowel sounds this week). This will be more like a second semester of first grade and then starting second grade in January 2017.

Math: finishing Saxon 2 and beginning Saxon 3

History: SOTW4 (post WWII) with older sister, then selected topics for 2000-current, then wrapping back for a unit on prehistory. If there's still time after all that, we'll start SOTW1.

Science: Lego Physics -we'll probably buy the Lego Education Simple Machines set and I'll cobble something together from scratch. I will probably use this as a backbone: http://www.legoengineering.com/science-through-lego-engineering/May also do a unit study on extinct animals when we cover prehistory.

Phonics: hopefully finish up Phonics Pathways and continue reading aloud

Spelling: we'll start formal spelling (likely Spectrum Spelling 1, since I already have it), in addition to the word dictation we do now Right after posting this, she asked me if she could start spelling now and she has been blowing through Spectrum Spelling 1. At this pace, I expect we'll start a level 2 spelling curriculum in the fall.

Literature: daily read alouds, including Baby Island; a Laura Ingalls Wilder; a Roald Dahl; Half Magic; The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Princess and the Goblin; The Trumpet of the Swan, The Boxcar Children, maybe a Beverly Cleary. Also weekly fairy tales and poetry.

Handwriting: HWOT Printing Power

Grammar/Composition: finish Harcourt Language Arts 1, then a second grade language arts program for spring semester, TBD

Art: weekly multimedia projects, drawing instruction, coloring...I may increase the frequency of projects, as this kid begs me for more art and she's surprisingly good at it

Spanish: may begin studies this year....depends on how well she's reading

Logic: may begin studies this year....depends on how well she's reading

Ruth

Edited by rutheart

FLL 1

Spelling Workout A

Daily Geography 1

Then 2nd grade will be:

FLL 2

Finish SOTW 1, then 2

Daily Geography 2

Hah, we're in very similar situations! I'm pregnant with my 4th, due in May. And we're using a good amount of the same curriculum as you are for 1st, including WWE, SW, and GH Little Otter science. :)

Best of luck with schooling and No 4!

DD will be 6 but is a mix of 1st/2nd grade materials, so I'll post here...

Now-May

Finish up Singapore 1B

Finish up SOTW 1

Do a geography unit study (continents/oceans)

Copywork

READ, READ, READ (step readers)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Girl Scouts

June-August

Singapore 2A (1-2 lessons a week)

READ, READ, READ (step readers)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (1-2 lessons a week)
Unit Studies: Native Americans and The Titanic

Girl Scouts

September-December

Build Your Library (BYL) Gr. 2 - History (SOTW2), Literature, Poetry/Tales, Art

Supplement with: Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young 

Singapore 2A, move into 2B

Readers: Frog & Toad, Curious George, possibly beginning chapter books

**We aren't using BYL for science next year (Gr. 2 is astronomy and we covered it in depth this year)... I like the idea of a year long nature study...but this is still in the works planning wise.

Homeschool Choir, Girl Scouts

My dd1 will be a second grader, too. (How did that happen?!)

We're continuing with:

Singapore PM 3a

BA 3a

Pictures in Cursive A

SW B

MCT Island

SOTW 1

BFSU 1

We'll just keep going and moving on whenever we finish a book. I will try to finish SOTW 1 and start 2 with a new schoolyear, but nothing else coordinated. I do have doubts about BFSU. I love it, but have such a hard time implementing it. I would switch if I had ever seen any other elementary science program with that systematic, logical building of necessary scientific concepts. What I really need is for BFSU to be open-and-go (or at least quick preread, then open-and-go), but it takes so much time and prep to reorganize it that way.

ETA: and SSL, Pianimals C and gymnastics preteam

Edited by La Condessa

Spring plans: 

Wrap up with FLL2 (working on that darn preposition list!)

Adding a couple more words-per-sentence in copywork 

Progress through our science and history texts (HO 2 and RSO E & S)

Go on all our field trips for Science once it's warm (tide pools study, earthquake center visit nearby)

Field trips for history before they leave Japan! (Botticelli exhibit at Tokyo Metropolitan and Caravaggio in Ueno)

Tortoise moving through quicksand pace WWE3

Get into a groove with MM 

Finish VFCR 4 (bought for sister but she stole it)

Finish AAS4

audiobook list for 1st 

finish EM Daily Geo 4

get her Japanese tutor to come consistently

get myself to start teaching Japanese to her consistently

Summer plans:

Finish Holt E & S science with her/sister (about 10 chapters by then?)

Get through the Renaissance/16th century in HO2

Neater and teeny bit longer copywork/dictation; WWE3

Work through MM3

Work through AAS5

Work through things I forgot we were supposed to be working through  :p

2016-2017:

AAS5

MM3

WWE3

The Elements, Carbon Chem and Holt Physical with older sister

Human Odyssey volume 2 with grammar stage books

FLL3

some vocab workbook..whatever she wants to do

SCM Geo? (she wants to do what sister is doing..sigh) 

Harmony Art Renaissance  (Grade 6?) with sister ??

This might be it. :/  She wants to do as much as "Sissy" as possible. She seems to be unaware that she's younger. Sigh. We'll see how it goes!

Ok, This is our first year homeschooling.  This is my youngest list.  She is 8, but has special needs.  Handwriting / fine motor skills are delayed.  She was diagnosed with a reading disability.  We need to test her for dyslexia. Also, because it is our first year, I have changed some of our curriculum.  Most of it will not be done at the end of this school year and will be finished in the fall.  We homeschool year round, with breaks as we need them.

Spring/ Summer:

Language Arts- All About Reading 1, Writing with Ease 1, First Language Lessons 1, and A Reason for Handwriting (She hates this. Not sure to keep going or stop.  Going to give it a little more time.)

History- Following the guide from Build your Library grade 1, SOTW 1, with books added.  We use the Cd and teacher guides.

Science- dropped the ball here.  Was doing Botany, but hated the curriculum.  We are just exploring nature around us

Math- Life of Fred.  Working on Cats right now.  And Touch Math Addition (this was given to her in public school.  I use it to help with her math.)

Fall:

Once we finish above:

Language Arts- All About Reading 2, All About Spelling 1, Writing with Ease 2, First Language Lessons 2, and handwriting (but no idea what or we may skip, with using WWE)

History- I think History Odyssey Middle Ages, lv 1

Science- Earth Science & Astronomy for the Grammar Stage

Math- Life of Fred

Art/ Music- Harmony Fine Arts Grade 2- Middle Ages (undecided)

• Like 1

Spring plans: 

Wrap up with FLL2 (working on that darn preposition list!)

Adding a couple more words-per-sentence in copywork 

Progress through our science and history texts (HO 2 and RSO E & S)

Go on all our field trips for Science once it's warm (tide pools study, earthquake center visit nearby)

Field trips for history before they leave Japan! (Botticelli exhibit at Tokyo Metropolitan and Caravaggio in Ueno)

Tortoise moving through quicksand pace WWE3

Get into a groove with MM 

Finish VFCR 4 (bought for sister but she stole it)

Finish AAS4

audiobook list for 1st 

finish EM Daily Geo 4

get her Japanese tutor to come consistently

get myself to start teaching Japanese to her consistently

Summer plans:

Finish Holt E & S science with her/sister (about 10 chapters by then?)

Get through the Renaissance/16th century in HO2

Neater and teeny bit longer copywork/dictation; WWE3

Work through MM3

Work through AAS5

Work through things I forgot we were supposed to be working through  :p

2016-2017:

AAS5

MM3

WWE3

The Elements, Carbon Chem and Holt Physical with older sister

Human Odyssey volume 2 with grammar stage books

FLL3

some vocab workbook..whatever she wants to do

SCM Geo? (she wants to do what sister is doing..sigh) 

Harmony Art Renaissance  (Grade 6?) with sister ??

This might be it. :/  She wants to do as much as "Sissy" as possible. She seems to be unaware that she's younger. Sigh. We'll see how it goes!

I would love to hear what is on your audiobook list.  We are always looking for more audiobooks.

It's nothing earth-shattering, I'm afraid. It's really just things that she hasn't read yet, that I can get on Overdrive and that she'll listen to eagerly. She has a unique taste in books too that I'm still trying to pinpoint. Anyway,

Trumpet of the Swan

The Secret Garden

Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The One and Only Ivan

The Terrible Two

Wonder

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

The Mighty Miss Malone

The Fourteenth Goldfish

DĂ¢â‚¬â„¢AulaireĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Greek Myths

A Sprinkle of Magic

Five children and It

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Beezus and Ramona

The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate

Socks

Mary Poppins

Peter Pan

Fortunately, the Milk

A Bear Called Paddington

TomĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Midnight Garden

The Indian in The Cupboard

The Patchwork Girl of Oz

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Odd and the Frost Giants

Flora and ulysses

Young Fredle

The Underneath

Lost and Found

Figured I could add more if we work through them all but this is what we have been planning on working through so far. :)

• Like 3

For the rest of 1st grade, wrapping up oh, end of May, early June:

- Long Story Short bible readings (loving this resource!)

- RightStart Math B (really happy with RS!!)

- Outdoor Secrets chapters and go-along activities with the SCM guide if we want (I'm a fan of the book and I'm looking forward to more nature lore)

- Ancient Egypt & Her Neighbors and the Stuff they Left Behind (SCM resources) (so-so)

- Reading aloud to me and to self (he has completed AAR3 and I think I will just informally cover the remaining phonograms for now).

- Copywork using SCM's A Child's Copybook Reader vol. 1(working well!)

- Science: child-led stuff. Library books, Netflix and DVD documentaries, etc. It has been fun!

- Music appreciation using Your Amazing Musical Instruments! (the book and CD-ROM were exactly what I was seeking to learn more about instruments in the orchestra and hear them in isolation and together); various classical music pieces just listening and enjoying.

- Read-alouds, free-reads and audiobooks gleaned from various book lists and just as the inspiration hits

Dropping the ball lately with picture study (I tried using all of Memoria Press art cards, but there are only a few for each artist and really I'd prefer to spend more time looking at the works of one artist). Going really slowly through Art Class DVDs and would like to be more regular with it, because it's easy to do for pete's sake! Also gearing up for more time outdoors and doing nature study. 

Overall though, I think it has been a good 1st grade year.

Summer:

Haven't totally decided on it all, but I think I would like 3Rs to continue on a slower pace. 

- Continuing with RightStart, maybe a lesson or 2 a week and games.

- Copywork continuing 

- Reading to self and reading aloud to me 

- Time outside and enjoying ourselves! Maybe some field trips, too.

2nd grade:

98% confident in these choices:

- RightStart math picking up wherever we are

- Copywork continuing from SCM resources

- Long Story Short bible readings

- Bird study using Burgess bird book and SCM guide

- Art Class DVDs continuing for drawing instruction

- Poetry read from and enjoyed from our various poetry books

- Nature lore selections pulling from AO and Sabbath Mood Homeschool lists 

90% confident that this is my choice:

- Geography using Holling C. Holling books and mapping. Possibly using the Barefoot Meandering resource for 50 states along with it

- Monet picture study since I have a large postcard book of his work. Other artists, idk! My biggest roadblock to getting picture study accomplished was just not having a selection chosen or like I said, wanting more than 2-3 works of an artist on hand

- Truthquest History vol. 1

Still investigating:

- Spelling. Maaybe R&S, maybe AAS, maybe just copywork this year. I own AAS level 1 and just can't get going with it. 

- Grammar: Might hold off on this, too, at least for 1st semester. Maybe just mad libs and copywork. (Recommendations on something quick, painless, to the point if I did want to add something?)

- Science: Considering BFSU 2nd ed. volume 1. I've been looking at a friend's 1st edition, and I bought the kindle version of the 2nd ed. tonight. I think we will give it a go in some form, and definitely follow tangents and interests.

- Literature for read-alouds and read-to-your-self. Pulling from AO and other lists. Just haven't firmed up, no big deal.

- Spanish? Do I wanna? Maybe. We own the Cherrydale Press book, so it makes sense to do that.

- Probably missing something vital. VITAL!

Feedback welcome.

Oh, and throwing a K-er in the mix (she is currently not interested in school. If in the fall she is showing interest in more formal stuff, I think MFWK will be right up her alley. I used it heavily modified with my firstborn). Also have a 2-year-old. 

Edited by kaxy
  • Like 2

Finishing 1st grade this spring. 

Bible- Grape Vine Stick Figuring Through the Bible, Old Testament Overview Part 2, We Choose Virtues, Old Story New/Long Story Short

Reading- finish Ordinary Parent's Guide

Writing- finish Writing with Ease 1

Grammar- finish First Language Lessons level 1

Spelling- We have a couple more weeks of Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills Daily Practice Grade 1 then we will start grade 2.

Cursive- My DS is very interested, so we do it when we have time, but I am not pushing. We just use the printables on http://www.kidzone.ws/cursive/

Math- finish Math Mammoth 1B. We are playing math games daily as well at this point with my 4.5 yo. We all are really enjoying this. 

History- finish reading Story of the World volume 1

Science- we have been doing a very casual version of the biology outlined in Well Trained Mind. We have also used Mr.Q's Life Science. We will just continue to read and narrate different things this year. 

We tried to do art study and music study this year but just weren't consistent. 

This Summer

No idea! I want to keep it light. 

Science, I would like to do more nature study. Maybe get something from SCM. Outdoor Secrets and the guide maybe. 

I think we should do some Bible, reading, writing and math daily. Just not sure what at this point.

Math, Maybe just continue with the math games to keep up math facts.

For reading, if we don't finish OPG, we will keep at that in the summer. Afterwards, we might go through any 1st readers we didn't read during the school year to keep him practicing reading out loud. Maybe a paragraph or page a day. 

For writing, some kind of daily copywork. Maybe Bible verses or poems we memorized during the year. I think just a sentence a day in the summer. 

Bible, I think we will just reinforce what they are doing in Sunday school without anything extra.  

2nd grade, starting September 2016

Bible- Grape Vine Stick Figuring Through the Bible, OT overview Part 3 and 4. We will see how long that takes. I think we will probably keep using We Choose Virtues. Might look into something more in depth. Love Long Story Short and Old Story New. 

Reading- Have him read out loud to me daily. Just not sure what yet. Might be a paragraph from a kid science encyclopedia on our topic of the week. Might be on-level readers. Still working this out. 

Writing- Writing with Ease 2

Grammar- First Language Lessons level 2

Spelling- Wherever we leave off with Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills Daily Practice Grade 2 this year, then move on to grade 3

Cursive- probably just free worksheets to get through the uppercase and lowercase letters. Probably just a couple days a week and then once he has all the letters, incorporate it into his weekly spelling tests and copywork. 

Math- I think we will probably use Math Mammoth 2A and 2B and math games. I am not thrilled with it but I don't hate it and neither does he. We don't love it either. I think Beast Academy will be a good fit so we are just kind of treading water until 3rd grade. 

History- Story of the World volume 2

Science- Astronomy/earth science...but no idea what we are using. Maybe just follow Well Trained Mind's suggestion of an encyclopedia and library books and narrations and experiments. Didn't work this year but I think earth and space is easier to break into chunks then all the plants and animals of the world. I am kind of leaning towards using this free curriculum as a framework. 

https://wateronthefloor.wordpress.com/free-curriculum/earth-scienceastronomy/

Art/Music- No idea. It just didn't really get done this year. I would like to do it. I have the World's Greatest Composers curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler. We just didn't have time to do more than listen to music here and there. I am very much an open-and-go girl, and didn't find something that was a good fit for both me and my boys. 

I also have an accelerated 4.5 year old who does most subjects alongside my 6 year old, and a 2.5 year old who will be doing some form of tot school/preschool next year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing this year:

LOE B and part of C

Miquon Orange and Red (selected topics) and Kumon Word Problem book and Math Made Easy workbook

Copywork from lit and journal on Fridays

Narrations from lit

History and US geography through readalouds

This Summer:

We will finish our school year in late June, do 3 days a week in July (reading and math workbook) and then take all of August off

2nd grade:

I just posted about my math issues.  Options I'm considering are BJU2, McRuffy  plus math mammoth topics for the conceptual, or LOF plus math games plus Math Made Easy workbook (she would love option #3 but I'm not sure I could pull it off in this crazy house!)

Finish LOE C and then have her just read, along with starting The Sentence Family and MCT Aesop

Copywork, narration, dictation (beginning) from history, lit, and science

SOtW 1 with siblings

Let's Read and Find Out books with  younger dd

World geography thru readalouds with siblings

Spring:

Finishing up CLE 100 which is really far too easy for him, but I figure it can't hurt
Finish up CLE Learning to read 
Finish up CLE LA 100
Finish up HWWOT penmanship book 1

Summer:
CLE Reading 1
HWWOT Penmanship continued
CLE Math 200 books 1-5 (?)
Lots of reading programs from our local libraries and half-priced book stores

Fall 2016:

CLE reading 200
CLE Math 200 books 6-10 and Math 300 (maybe only part way through depending on how he does)
HWWOT Penmanship continued
CLE Bible 200

He just listens in on science and history at the moment.

• Like 1

Every 2nd grader I've had has been different.... it seems 7-8 years old is an age at which abilities can vastly differ.

I'll have my 4th 2nd grader this fall, and we'll be using:

Moore McGuffey Reader

Sequential Spelling

CTGE

Webster's speller (for reading syllables)

Singapore math

God's Great Cov.

Pictures in Cursive

BFSU

SOTW

Hey Andrew Greek 2

Macbeth study/memory work with the older kids

Ukulele

The Learnables Spanish and GSWS (we do light Spanish exposure until they can study without me).

We've been using AO and will continue to do so with a few subjects next year. I wasn't expecting Seth to progress so quickly so I'm using the summer to take a break and allow lots of free reading and interest led studies. These are tentative plans for Seth's 16/17 year. He's a young 2nd grader (December birthday).

History/Geography and Reading/Literature based on Ambleside Year 3, modified by me 

Wordsmith Apprentice

Easy Grammar 3

Rod & Staff Spelling 3

Life Of Fred, up to Kidneys

Mr Q Earth Science

Apologia Who Is God?

Building Thinking Skills 1

Art Classes, Gymnastics, Swimming, AWANA

Edited by ~Laura~

• 2 weeks later...

The nearest homeschool conference is coming up in June, so I am working hard to try to figure out what we'll be doing next year. This year is the first time I've homeschooled, so while I feel much more confident than last year, I know I have a lot to learn. After looking at all the changes I want to make in curriculum, it appears I am very picky when it comes to Language Arts. :-)

Spelling

Spelling Workout A ---------------> AAS

We got through the first workbook this year, but I didn't feel she was really "getting" spelling. We just started AAS 1, so right now I assume we'll continue that next year.

English/Grammar

FLL -------------> Shurley Grammar --------------------> Rod & Staff?

Both of us were bored to death by FLL. Shurley Grammar has a much more reasonable pace, but I've read people skip levels because there is so much repetition. TWTM says Rod & Staff is very thorough, but doesn't recommend until 3rd grade. I just figure we'll jump into it a year early.

Handwriting

ZB -------------------> Joy of Handwriting?

My daughter is not crazy about doing a lot of writing, but is really into mimicking cursive. Somebody suggested Joy of Handwriting on another thread and it looks interesting.

Math

Math-U-See Alpha ---------------------> Math-U-See Beta

This is working for us, so I see no need to change it. Especially after buying all those blocks. :-)

Science

BFSU Vol 1. I really like this curriculum a lot. All lessons build on previous ones. It seems to live up to its title.

History

SOTW 1 ------------->SOTW 2

She really likes this book. There are days when she prefers it to supplemental books from the library.

Latin

Song School Latin 1 ----------------->Song School Latin 2

This is great because I never learned Latin and now I am. She really likes it, too.

We are not expecting our 3rd baby til October, so I am hoping to be almost halfway thru our year by then.

June/summer: VBS; Drawing with Children; Swimming

2nd grade:

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ LambĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Book of Art I
Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1 Samuel Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 Samuel; memorize John 3 and Psalm 110, 113; Big Truths for Little Kids
Geography Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Seterra
Grammar Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Primary Language Lessons by Serl
Handwriting Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Veritas Press Classically Cursive Book II
History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ SOTWv3
Languages Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Prima Latina and Integrated Chinese by Cheng & Tsui
Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Math Mammoth 3; Beast Academy 3
Morning Time - Ambleside Year 2
Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dr Wile Science in the Beginning
Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ AAS 5-6

• Like 1