Menu

NM- Admin Please Remove Thread

If you know about ABA as you claim, then you know that this is what was called operant behavior that came from Skinner. What you might not know is that Temple Grandin had met with him in person and that apparently he changed his mind before his death, after he had a stroke. You might also not know of the horrific animal testing that was done that as per Temple Grandin served no good purpose. I read CW! What I don't know about I inform myself on, before sharing. I most certainly don't pass judgments on others or claim to know what their knowledge base is like!

I was a psych major during my 1st undergrad so I definitely know all about Skinner. This was during the '90's so I was familiar with Dr. Lovaas' work at UCLA as well. One of my sorority sisters and fellow psych major actually worked as a behavior interventionist off-campus and I wouldn't want that kind of Lovaas-style ABA.

But I'm not understanding why you're getting so upset by my saying that my daughter's ABA program falls under the Verbal Behavior approach. The "VB" in VB-MAPP stands for Verbal Behavior.

• Like 1

I have not found that to be the case. In my opinion, sometimes we have vigorous conversations that represent multiple points of view. Sometimes people disagree. The conversations give me a lot to think about as I sort things out for myself and decide what will work for my family. Sometimes I ask for advice. Sometimes I take it; sometimes I don't. It's just a process of figuring things out with some help from others, who are also figuring things out. :)

I don't think anyone needs to be called out for anything. If you have particular individuals in mind, you may want to PM them to air your feelings.

• Like 1

One thing too to keep in mind is that everyone who comments truly is trying to help. Maybe not in the most tactful or respectful way, which is why this thread turned sour, and maybe opinions are expressed too rigidly and stridently, taking one's personal experience as universal. But nobody's purposely trying to steer anyone wrong.

• Like 1

Did you even watch the video of the little boy in the article? He uses his PECS board to say "I want the tiny trains."

In my world, this is a major success story for a lot of kids.

I read the article and I think -- well, they are using their funding for behavioral services, and look, the little boy is using PECS.

This is a success!

Of course I hope they get increased funding so that he has the best opportunity for vocal speech. But he does have successful communication (or it appears this way in a snippet of video).

So it is not even an example, to me, of a failed therapy. It looks like it has been a successful therapy, the parents term it "essential" and continue with it, they just need speech therapy also.

If they wanted to quit the therapy bc it is a failure for them, it appears they could (from the article).

In my world it is a success when a child with no or very limited communication skills is able to use PECS.

But it is being used as an example of a therapy that doesn't work.

In the video the mom also says she is really working with him and hoping he will be able to blow out candles on his birthday cake, which sounds like it could be a sign of apraxia and that he really could benefit from speech therapy.

But it is just so far from fair-minded to say this means ABA is not working for this child. Then why are his parents still spending their funding on it? Why wouldn't they just take their funding and use it all for speech? My only answer is that they find it helpful.

Here is the thing...... Not every child may have the same result as far as vocal speech.

That is not the only measure of a therapy, and it is not the only measure of how well a child is doing with language and communication.

I truly do not believe I am "twisting the words" of the article. That is my take.

My son is in the district-level program in my town, so he is in resource with some children who do have very limited speech skills and there is also a lot of limited initiation, etc.

It is not so simple as saying that their current therapy is not working, they need a different one.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Removed the gratuitous personal comment.
  • Like 2

Here is the thing...... Not every child may have the same result as far as vocal speech.

That is not the only measure of a therapy, and it is not the only measure of how well a child is doing with language and communication.

A big thing now in terms of SLP graduate education is getting more SLP's trained for Alternative & Augmentative Communication. The Federal government has given a bunch of grants to different universities specifically to fund specialty tracks in AAC. SF State has one and so do some of the schools that already have an existing deaf & hard-of-hearing specialty track (that's how I found out about them). Modern technology is doing wonders helping unlock the "voices" of non-verbal children. PECS is a good start for young kids as it's inexpensive and easy to replace if the binder gets damaged. But eventually, the child may benefit from a more sophisticated form of AAC.