Menu

3rd Grade Planning Thread 2016-2017

hands-on-mama

Who all is doing cursive? What do you plan to use for that if so? I really don't know which one we will use. 

We started this year after Christmas with Handwriting Without Tears.  A lot of people don't like the look of it but I love the gentle instruction and figure we can always go for more style after the basics are down.  My son is loving it and I imagine we'll be done before we officially start 3rd grade.  I'll continue to reinforce with our copywork.

• Like 2

The Build Your Library sample I looked at relied on SOTW. Same for some other secular materials. One curriculum gave a choice between SOTW and Gombrich's A Little History of the World. The Amazon reviews left me feeling defeated. Of course, I don't think any history book is going to please everyone. Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but I appreciate all the suggestions (from you and others) and will discuss them with dh. Amazon didn't have too may Who Was books on people I wanted to talk about in class (they were all over the place. Michael Jackson, etc) but I will see if I can find more elsewhere. :)

Sorry, I forgot that BYL uses SOTW. 

If you want a schedule to follow, I like Ikslo's suggestion of History Odyssey using Usborne as your spine.  Another option would be to use either an Usborne or Kingfisher history encyclopedia, choose your time period, figure out how many "page spreads" you need to cover each week (one or two?).  Plan to read the "spread" and use it as a springboard to do other things - mapping, narrating, making a notebook page if you want, read other related books if interested.  If you have the 1st edition of the WTM (or can get it from the library), I believe it describes doing history this way (before SOTW came out).  History Odyssey basically takes all that and schedules it for you, iirc. 

• Like 2

Sorry, I forgot that BYL uses SOTW. 

If you want a schedule to follow, I like Ikslo's suggestion of History Odyssey using Usborne as your spine.  Another option would be to use either an Usborne or Kingfisher history encyclopedia, choose your time period, figure out how many "page spreads" you need to cover each week (one or two?).  Plan to read the "spread" and use it as a springboard to do other things - mapping, narrating, making a notebook page if you want, read other related books if interested.  If you have the 1st edition of the WTM (or can get it from the library), I believe it describes doing history this way (before SOTW came out).  History Odyssey basically takes all that and schedules it for you, iirc.

Dh said he's going to investigate the encyclopedia for me (I linked him to Usborne the other day. I'll look into Kingfisher, too). I'm not sure if I know what a page spread is? Like a series of events for that time period?

I'm still not even sure if we'll be homeschooling at all next year, PS is becoming an option at this point. But until we know (will decide after full evals) I will plan for being at home.

Math: Singapore and/or BA.

Science: Probably RSO Chemistry

Language Arts: This is the one that we're always all over the place. We can never quite settle and end up switching a lot. I really want to figure out a solid plan for next year.

Reading: Just keep reading good books.

Spelling: AAS? It's what we're using this year.

Grammar: I'm thinking maybe MCT Island, but I'm still not sure.

Handwriting: Either HWT 2nd or New American Cursive. (she's still working on the 1st gr wb now.)

Writing: No idea. Evan moore 6-trait this year resulted in massive meltdowns so we dropped it.

Alternately I'm considering doing Time4learning for language arts, but I don't think they cover spelling.

*Suggestions welcome. She's behind in handwriting skills and endurance. SN still being evaluated.*

History: I really don't know. We did traditional community stuff for 1st and we're doing Adventures in America now. I'm thinking of doing History Odyssey and starting at Ancients. I don't know how I feel about starting the 4 year cycle in 3rd grade, but I also don't want to jump to Early Modern. We tried to start SOTW in first but she just wasn't ready.

*Suggestions or advice welcome here, too ;) *

Song School Spanish

Sign Language with me

Piano (lessons from me right now but I think I will outsource next year)

Tumbling

Highland Dance

History:

DH and I discussed last night and we actually are going to go ahead and jump into Early Modern. I hadn't even thought about it, but her one-day a week charter program does "epic adventure" and this year they are doing Middle Ages and Renaissance. So moving into Early Modern next year actually makes sense for her. I'll modify if I need to with scribing for her. Any other problems with jumping to this year?

Language Arts:

Read 30 min/day

HWT or NAC

AAS

MCT or FLL or LS or ? (still not sure what would be best for her)

Memory work

Do I need to add anything else to this? I intentionally left out writing since she is still working on mechanics and endurance. I'm never sure if we're doing enough for LA. Copywork? Would we *need* that, or just an option to add more if we want it?

Dh said he's going to investigate the encyclopedia for me (I linked him to Usborne the other day. I'll look into Kingfisher, too). I'm not sure if I know what a page spread is? Like a series of events for that time period?

Just meaning when you open the book, the left side and the right side are a "spread." 

• Like 1

Ugg! Every time I order from RR I am reminded of a story my husband told me about directions he got in the south. He was going somewhere and was lost (not unusual for him) and he asked for directions from some gas station person. He told him "Well, you go down this road, and just as soon as you think 'this can't be right!' it will be on your left" Sure enough, DH went down that road and just when he was about to turn around, it was on his left. 

I placed an order from RR on Friday and I thought they sent out shipping notices. But I never got one. So I have been thinking I am not going to get it this week. Thinking that maybe today I should contact them, I got a notification it is coming tomorrow from UPS. Doh!

• Like 1

Very tentative and subject to change: 

Math Mammoth 4A/B and 5A 
WWE 3 and FLL 3 *OR* Treasured Conversations, not sure yet
Sequential Spelling 1
Finish up Song School Latin 2
French (not sure what we'll use yet, looking into textbooks plus a tutor)
Piano lessons 
Guitar lessons 
Nature classes

History and science will most likely continue to be eclectic and interest led.

Hmmmm.....Dare I post now?  Hahaha.   Let's see how many times I have to go back and edit this thread.   My plans are still very rough.

Language Arts:

Grammar, Writing, & Spelling:  ELTL 2 alternating days with Apples and Pears Spelling 2 and some SCM Spelling Wisdom thrown in for studied dictation

Reading Practice:  Read Aloud to me for 30 minutes a day from the Sonlight grade 4-5 readers and various science and history books

Poetry:  Continue IEW Linguistic Development through poetry memorization

Shakespeare:   Continue Shakespeare Club.   Utilizing How to Teach your Children Shakespeare, Adam McKeown books, and memorization as learning tools at home.   Will probably study MacBeth, MidSummer's Night Dream, and another?   Continue to practice memorized Shakespeare from this year.

Latin:   Song School Latin 2 or Getting Started With Latin

Mechanics:  Continue practicing touch typing using typing.com, Work on increasing hand stamina using cursive copywork in ELTL, Work on neater handwriting through copywork, possibly introduce some word processing skills in microsoft word.

Read Alouds:   Will be a mixture of books from classic books from ELTL 3, modern books from Sonlight Read Alouds, Various History/Literature recommendations from the WTM/SOTW AG, and a few books from Classical House of Learning thrown in.   

Math:

Singapore 4A/4B-  I am thinking we will finish Singapore 3B before the fall??  Regardless, we will just continue wherever we are in math.

Math Fact Practice:  daily xtra math practice

Content:

Bible:  Bible Study for All Ages (WE are going through this series at a snails pace.) -or- just daily reading/listening from the actual bible depending on our work load.  

Science:  R.E.A.L. Science Chemistry Level 1 with lots of living books.  (Still finalizing my reading list.)  May add in Quark Science Anatomy because we like it so much even though it doesn't related to our labs.   

History:  Continue wherever we are in SOTW.   Will probably be part way through book 2 and will then start book 3?  (perhaps?)

Geography:   This year we focused mainly on learning to identify every country on the map.  I am thinking we will complete that before the year is over.   We only have Asia left to learn.   After that we may start learning some cultural things about the countries using SCM resources?   Or maybe more geographical things like listing the main rivers or tallest mountains?     Learn the 50 states and capitals

Art Appreciation and Skill Instruction:   Using a homemade lesson set for this

Music Appreciation***:   Using Themes to Remember, Composer Biographies, and Classics for Kids

Nature Study:   Will try to plan more group nature study plans....so that I stay accountable and do this!

Music:   Homeschool Orchestra

*** I am wishing I could figure out a way to start piano or instrument lessons next year for both kids.  But it is SOOOOOOOOOOO expensive.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama

Re: cursive--I had him do Callirobics, and now he's started Pentime 3. I'm seeing that he's not going to go as quickly as I thought. I'll have him work through this book until he's finished and then print copywork for him from www.handwritingworksheets.com.

This will probably change, but here goes:

Math: CLE 300 (the one thing that is definite)

English: Maybe ELTL 2?????

Spelling: ????

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting C (maybe)

History: Beautiful Feet Early American Primary (pretty sure about this one)

Science: Interest led mostly

Bible: ?????

I have more planning to do!

We are about 90% sure that we will pull our kids out of public school next year for 3rd and 1st grades. My very tentative plan for my will-be 3rd grader is:

Math: probably singapore. I need to do the assessments with her to figure out placement, but want to wait until I am 100% sure that we will do that curriculum. Math is her "worst" subject in her current public school, which still isn't awful, with an 89%... But I want to make sure I choose a curriculum that will help her understand the concepts a bit better. I am just intimidated by how parent intensive Singapore seems.

Grammar: ELTL (almost 100% sure if this. Just need to figure out whether to start her at 2 or 3)

Reading: RLTL? Maybe?

Phonics/Spelling: We just started Explode the Code online. Not sure if we will continue with that or not. We will see...

Handwriting: probably cursive of some sort, as well as typing.

History: SOTW 1, most likely. Probably the CD version. We will be doing a lot of reading books as well, so I am kind of a fan of not having a super formal curriculum for History.

Science: unsure. We may do this in more of an "unschooling" manner... At least at first. I don't want to overdo it. We will likely do lots of field trips and nature center visits, and see where out interests take us.

Foreign Language: we will do one. I just need to figure out which one, then choose a curriculum. This will not be high on our priority list, but will be more of an "extra", as time allows. I am not going to stress myself over it. Any foreign language exposure they get will be more than they do in their public school. ;-)

Sports/extracurricular: Gymnastics 3 days per week. Not sure what else. I would like to try to let her try some music, drama or art type things if I can find some that work for us.

I am trying to go fairly bare bones for the first year, in hopes that it will allow us time and flexibility to figure out what works for us without feeling pressure to "get it all done".

Edited by Ahodgson923
  • Like 2

My youngest will be in 3rd grade next year!  

General plans for a very creative kid:

Math:  Singapore, Zometools

Language Arts:  Literature (reading and read alouds), Rod and Staff English (grammar only), Rod and Staff Spelling, Classical Writing Aesop, Startwrite Software for handwriting, Mavis Beacon typing, Doodle Definitions

Logic:  Logic Links, Grid Perplexors, Logic Countdown

History:  SOTW as a guide with hands-on activities and videos added in

Geography:  Country unit studies

Science:  Unit studies

Foreign Language:  Dabbling in a couple different ones. Main resources are Song School Greek, My First Chinese Words, My First Chinese Reader, Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad.

Fine Arts:  Piano, Music Ace Deluxe, art unit study, sewing, digital photography

Bible:  Illustrated IBC Bible, Fruit of the Spirit unit study, Visual Bible series

I learned how to type in high school. Now I know this is a different time and computers are everywhere and my son has an i-pad (grandparents old one), but I don't think my son needs to learn typing till he has handwriting down. If I am going to have my sons learn about slide rules (yes, their grandfather has his PhD in artificial intelligence and yet uses one daily) then I think I can make sure my sons know how to write before they learn to type. 

That is just my 2 cents. One of the things I love about homeschooling is everyone can do different things that they feel is best for their family. 

• Like 1

My youngest started typing in 2nd grade, but I think my older kids started in 1st due to handwriting issues.  They liked it.  It is occasional and they make slow and steady progress with the goal of finishing up pretty strong typing skills by the end of 6th grade.  My goal was 40-50 words per minute.

Edited by Embassy

Still tentative, but here it is.

Math: MM supplemented with Beast Academy and Prodigy Math

LA: MCT

Spelling: We'll continue using the word lists from SWR to do a weekly spelling test

History: SotW3

Science: No idea. I'm still looking for that elusive science curriculum that is 100% secular and includes evolution, has a good mix of content and fun experiments, and is easier to implement than BFSU. This year I'm using a science encyclopedia as a spine and supplementing with Mystery Science. We may just continue that next year.

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Foreign Language: Not sure yet. We may do some Latin.

Extracurriculars: Girl Scouts; possibly some kind of martial arts, if we can find a good place

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 1

Still tentative, but here it is.

Math: MM supplemented with Beast Academy and Prodigy Math

LA: MCT

Spelling: We'll continue using the word lists from SWR to do a weekly spelling test

History: SotW3

Science: No idea. I'm still looking for that elusive science curriculum that is 100% secular and includes evolution, has a good mix of content and fun experiments, and is easier to implement than BFSU. This year I'm using a science encyclopedia as a spine and supplementing with Mystery Science. We may just continue that next year.

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Foreign Language: Not sure yet. We may do some Latin.

Extracurriculars: Girl Scouts; possibly some kind of martial arts, if we can find a good place

Have you already looked into Beyond the Page? We don't use it, but a friend does. I'm under the impression it at least somewhat fits that criteria. We have Connect the Thoughts, but I got so bored with the repetition. We are now using the Timt4Learning sciences but haven't started the third grade level. You get access to a few grades at a time, so ds is flying through grade 1 as either review or to fill in gaps in our science.

Very tentative and general, since we took a long winter break instead of summer break and are still ramping back up, but I know we want to simplify and allow more time for rabbit trails and unexpected opportunities.

Math: either continue Saxon, starting the blue book with the three on it in August, or go ahead and switch to Strayer-Upton

Grammar: go back to Shurley if we switch to Strayer-Upton for math or use Easy Grammar if we stick to Saxon. He likes both, but that was unrealistic, both as far as teacher prep and little boy attention span.

Artist and composer study

Piano and/or recorder

History: Egypt flopped big time, but he's interested in American history, so we'll be reading Childhood of Famous Biographies and Reminisce magazine's coffee table books, maybe volunteering with senior citizens, and going to museums and antique stores. He's still too young for Joy Hakim and Howard Zinn's Young People's History, even though your own third grader might be ready for one or both of them.

We'll also go ahead and move on to some sort of secularized manglation of Greenleaf Greece for world history, since he has some background from read alouds and more interest than he had in Egypt.

Science: project based using snap circuits, Wild Goose kits, Janice VanCleeve's "every kid" books, Backyard Scientist, etc. and also rabbit trails from read alouds with Usborne books and other nonfiction in our home and local public libraries

GSWL and Hey Andrew

cursive

Tux Typing

Phonics: Stay the course with out of print out of style program that works for our family would you like some bean dip; will probably "break" the computers for a week or so in the next few months if he doesn't start reading independently but that may not be necessary.

This years plans look very old school and unschooly when I write them down, but they're probably still every bit as unrealistic as last February's long laundry list of everything on the used curriculum boards that I couldn't afford for the older kids when it was new and shiny and cost a month's worth of groceries and everything new that caught my eye, lol.

Edited by Guest

I got my box from RR yesterday and I said I would write back about how GUM (Grammar, Usage and Mechanics) grammar by Zaner Blosser looked. 

There are 60-2 page (front and back of a single page) lessons and 1/2 page extra practice in GUM grammar for grade 2. There are also pre and post tests, spelling practice, proofreading, and unit review for every unit. 

I think I am going to break the coarse into 2 days every week. That should flow well and not be overwhelming if he needs extra practice. I think each lesson should take 15-20 minutes at most. 

Let me know if you would like me to talk about the Word Wisdom book that I also got. It looks very interesting and I don't see it talked about on here. 

I got my box from RR yesterday and I said I would write back about how GUM (Grammar, Usage and Mechanics) grammar by Zaner Blosser looked. 

There are 60-2 page (front and back of a single page) lessons and 1/2 page extra practice in GUM grammar for grade 2. There are also pre and post tests, spelling practice, proofreading, and unit review for every unit. 

I think I am going to break the coarse into 2 days every week. That should flow well and not be overwhelming if he needs extra practice. I think each lesson should take 15-20 minutes at most. 

Let me know if you would like me to talk about the Word Wisdom book that I also got. It looks very interesting and I don't see it talked about on here.

Thanks! Is proofreading like finding errors such as missing commas or capital letters?

When you brought up GUM I asked via their website for a sample, but they never sent one. A little while after that I looked at the scope and sequence for our time4learning third grade level and they have more grammar (finally).

I'm interested in Word Wisdom if you want to tell us a little about it. This is the first I've heard of it and from my quick google search it sounds like it is to build vocabulary. So far we have just been writing down words when reading and we have a small workbook on vocabulary (many of the words are familiar already, though).

This is the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545147131?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

Math Mammoth 3

WWE3

FLL3

finish Prima Latina/start Latina Christiana I

AAS 4/5

New American Cursive 1/2

reading good books

Logic Countdown

IEW poetry memorization

in combination with younger sister:

SOTW2

Laying Down the Rails for Children

SCM Visits to Europe

Studies Weekly social studies

Harmony Fine Arts 2

Quark Chronicles botany

RAs from SL, BYL, SCM, etc.

Extras: AHG and dance (ballet, tap, and maybe jazz)

• Like 1

Math Mammoth 3

WWE3

FLL3

finish Prima Latina/start Latina Christiana I

AAS 4/5

New American Cursive 1/2

reading good books

Logic Countdown

IEW poetry memorization

in combination with younger sister:

SOTW2

Laying Down the Rails for Children

SCM Visits to Europe

Studies Weekly social studies

Harmony Fine Arts 2

Quark Chronicles botany

RAs from SL, BYL, SCM, etc.

Extras: AHG and dance (ballet, tap, and maybe jazz)

Our girls do AHG! We absolutely love it!

Thanks! Is proofreading like finding errors such as missing commas or capital letters?

When you brought up GUM I asked via their website for a sample, but they never sent one. A little while after that I looked at the scope and sequence for our time4learning third grade level and they have more grammar (finally).

I'm interested in Word Wisdom if you want to tell us a little about it. This is the first I've heard of it and from my quick google search it sounds like it is to build vocabulary. So far we have just been writing down words when reading and we have a small workbook on vocabulary (many of the words are familiar already, though).

This is the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545147131?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Yes the proof reading teaches 6 proof reading marks; take away, add, make into uppercase letter, make into lowercase letter, add a period, and fix spelling. Then it has the child go through a proof reading checklist based on the prior unit. Finally it ask for the child to write their own things that they should check in their writing. 

I should also add that their spelling is very basic. In NO way could you use this as a spelling program. 

Each unit also deals with a different subject so there is room for cross learning with what you may already be doing. 

Word Wisdom

Word Wisdom has a 4 week, 5 day a week model. 

The first week is on Context Clues Strategies. So the first 3 days you unlock the knowledge. Day 4 is process and day 5 is apply.

The second week is Latin and Greek roots so you unlock those the first 3 days, day 4 is process, day 5 is apply.

The third week is Reference Skills. Again unlock for the first 3 days, then process, then apply.

The forth week is Review and assess. So Day 1 - Classify unit vocabulary in a graphic organizer. Day 2 - Synthesize unit vocabulary. Day 3 - Assess knowledge with practice test. Day 4 - Build new words or play with language. Day 5 - unit post test.

Each unit has 30 vocabulary words that are spread out over the 3 first weeks. The TE has a disk that has flash cards for all the vocabulary words broken down by weeks and units. So therefore if your child is having difficulty, you can turn it into any number of games. The flash cards I printed out for next week are formatted to just print on one side. There are also games and activities on the disk. 

The first 3 weeks of the unit have a pre and post test. 

One of the things I like about this program is the dictionary is in the student book. He doesn't have to go searching for another book, or find a way to have a workbook, dictionary, and something that he is working on, all on his desk. I also like that it can tie his latin to another subject. I started looking for something like this because he is CONSTANTLY asking us what things mean. Clearly he is thirsty for vocabulary. 

The program has 9 units for a total of 36 weeks of instruction. 

Some of the words taught in Grade 3 are: dictation (unit 1), Spectator (unit 2), bicentennial (unit 8), jobless (unit 5), reinforcement (unit 9), intercept (unit 3), revive (unit 4), timely (unit 6), humorous (unit 7), and narrate (unit 1). 

• Like 1

Glad to know I'm not the only one who lives to plan this far in advance! My oldest will be in 3rd grade-- we'll be starting some of these in April since we school year round-ish.

We may or may not be returning to our Classical Conversations program next year for memory work, etc. haven't decided that yet.

Spelling: R&S SSS 3 (switching from AAS 2)

Grammar: FLL 3

Handwriting: Writing with Prayer Cursive

Writing: Copywork & dictation, maybe W&R Fable later in the year

Math: Horizons 2

History& Literature: SOTW 2

Science: CKE Chemistry

Typing Instructor

Piano + Tap/ jazz dance class

Is anyone doing History Odyssey Early Modern in here next year? We are starting it next week and I just went through and made some quick worksheets for my son to use with that program. Sort of guided note booking if you like. I created a glossary (for definition words, he fills out the meaning) too. 

Let me know if you would like it. I can send it PDF or Excel. I think I can send it via PM on here... not sure though. Anyway, if you would like it we will figure it out. Just let me know. :)

Math: MM 3

History:  Galore Park Junior History 1 & 2

Science:  Undecided. Sigh. 

Language Arts:   GWG 3, Building Spelling Skills, read to me every day, read on own, homegrown writing, continue cursive (not consistent this year), typing

Spanish for fun in small group 1X/week

Dance, piano

Try to do some art with books/videos I already have

Edited by 5Wizards

We started this year after Christmas with Handwriting Without Tears. A lot of people don't like the look of it but I love the gentle instruction and figure we can always go for more style after the basics are down. My son is loving it and I imagine we'll be done before we officially start 3rd grade. I'll continue to reinforce with our copywork.

I use Startwrite to teach the New American Cursive font in the HWT order. I really like the NAC font, but it teaches the letters in alphabetic order and really doesn't work on connections. HWT's teaching order is so much more logical, but I didn't like the font. However, none of my children has cursive that looks exactly like NAC, so it probably would have been easier to use HWT.

• Like 4

This is my plan for third although now that I have written it down it seems like a lot.

Singapore Primary Math plus CWP

MP Astronomy (plus some BFSU mostly as a reading list)

Faith & Life

AAS

AAR4 (if needed)

MP Intro to Composition or WWE

New American Cursive

MP 3rd grade lit

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

Prima Latina

MP English Grammar Recitation I (briefly covered because she has to test this year)

States and Capitals

It always seems like a lot till you actually do it. Then you can't think of a better way. ;)

On paper it looks like I am doing a lot with my son, and I guess to an unschooler  we are, but in actuality, it isn't that bad. By Friday, I notice we are good for the week and I let him ease up a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

My dd will be in 3rd grade this fall. My plans are still pretty loose.

Reading- lots of good books. I have How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare in my Amazon cart, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

Language Arts- dd's least favorite subject. Lots of push-back and whining on this so this current school year, I have slowly started rotating in a bunch of different things to check off the boxes and alleviate the boredom without doubling up on anything. We will keep doing this for 3rd grade, as long as its working with a hodge podge of Language Lessons for Today Grade 3, Spelling Workout C (extremely tailored), some Bravewriter elements and EIW Level 3 for when we are totally butting heads and I really need to take myself out of the language arts battle for a while.

Math- Math Mammoth Grade 3 plus mom-made personal finance, math games and real world math activities at least once per week.

Social Studies- American History year 2. Going rogue and not using a curriculum this year!!! Should be interesting...

Science- Earth and Space using... I really want to go without a curriculum here too but I also would like to try RSO. I might wait a year or 2 on that. Can't decide. Plus, dd keeps a nature journal, we are doing some container gardening this year, we visit nature centers, state and national parks regularly, and dd wants to do a butterfly kit. So maybe this isn't a good year for curriculum, sounds like we are going interest-led!

The above is what my state requires and what I must document through the year. So for my own sanity, that is all I plan in advance. Art, bible, character development, foreign language, and other electives are folded into our days more organically. DD does take piano lessons and will continue to do so. We stay pretty active as a family and dh loves to teach her the rules of organized/ team sports. I'm pretty pleased with all of the extras.

The only thing I am missing (I think) is cursive. I want secular cursive instruction that teaches connections right away and not just in alphabet order. I need to go back in this thread and check out some of the suggestions.

This is my fourth time through 3rd grade. How very different it looks than when my first was in 3rd!!

Finish up Abeka 2 & start Abeka 3 Arithmetic

Read aloud to me at least 3x/week

Spell to Write & Read

SOTW1

Interest-led science

Baltimore Catechism #1 (part 2 of 3)

Memory work

• Like 2

My dd will be in 3rd grade this fall. My plans are still pretty loose.

Reading- lots of good books. I have How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare in my Amazon cart, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

Language Arts- dd's least favorite subject. Lots of push-back and whining on this so this current school year, I have slowly started rotating in a bunch of different things to check off the boxes and alleviate the boredom without doubling up on anything. We will keep doing this for 3rd grade, as long as its working with a hodge podge of Language Lessons for Today Grade 3, Spelling Workout C (extremely tailored), some Bravewriter elements and EIW Level 3 for when we are totally butting heads and I really need to take myself out of the language arts battle for a while.

Math- Math Mammoth Grade 3 plus mom-made personal finance, math games and real world math activities at least once per week.

Social Studies- American History year 2. Going rogue and not using a curriculum this year!!! Should be interesting...

Science- Earth and Space using... I really want to go without a curriculum here too but I also would like to try RSO. I might wait a year or 2 on that. Can't decide. Plus, dd keeps a nature journal, we are doing some container gardening this year, we visit nature centers, state and national parks regularly, and dd wants to do a butterfly kit. So maybe this isn't a good year for curriculum, sounds like we are going interest-led!

The above is what my state requires and what I must document through the year. So for my own sanity, that is all I plan in advance. Art, bible, character development, foreign language, and other electives are folded into our days more organically. DD does take piano lessons and will continue to do so. We stay pretty active as a family and dh loves to teach her the rules of organized/ team sports. I'm pretty pleased with all of the extras.

The only thing I am missing (I think) is cursive. I want secular cursive instruction that teaches connections right away and not just in alphabet order. I need to go back in this thread and check out some of the suggestions.

I think HWOT cursive might meet those specifications.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've realized with my older kids that I severely underestimated the amount of "language arts" they need.  I'd appreciate any advice on the following plan for my 3rd grader :-)

Math:  CLE 300

Science: BJU 3rd grade DLO

History:  VP New Testament Greece and Rome

Reading: CLE Reading 300

Language Arts: 

(I know most of these are not at the 3rd grade level but when I did the placement tests this is where he placed)

Spelling you See B (Jack and Jill)

Daily 6-trait Writing (1st grade)

Langauge Smarts B

A Reason for Handwriting B

He also listens to family read-alouds and plays football and lacrosse and wrestles.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So our plans have completely changed since I started this thread. :) 

New plans: 

History/Science/Bible/Composer Study: Wayfarers Ancients (I will be adding on the SOTW activity guide)

Language Arts: ELTL 2/3 

SSS 3rd Grade

Reading lots of good books and maybe some journaling

Math: Singapore 2A/2B/3A (we have switched methods and started behind her ability to work on conceptual things)

Art: Home Art Studio 2nd Grade or 1st grade (possibly both)

I'm not sure we will do cursive this year. She is not ready for it at this point. We will reassess in August and then again in January 2017.

• Like 1

Let's see...I think I have 3rd grade figured out.  I could be wrong....my plans have changed a lot already. :)  So far:

Morning Time - prayers, song, poetry memorization, term poet, read-aloud loop (history/culture of the Celtic peoples, American history, and my book house)

Language Arts - CAP's W&R Fable ( two weeks on, one week off), Cottage Press Primer Two Fable and Song (on the weeks we don't do W&R), Well-Ordered Language, Apples and Pears w/ extra dictation as needed, daily copy work, lots and lots of oral narration, perhaps letting her try a written narration or two most weeks; creative writing projects, maybe....

Math - finish Singapore 2B and move into 3A and 3B, Math Mammoth topic books in multiplication, division, and measuring (because I totally skipped all the measurement stuff in Singapore), Right Start Math Games weekly

History (Modern) - SOTW volume 4 with AG, Of Courage Undaunted, Leader of the Nutcracker Men, and Number the Stars (oral narration on all these)

Geography - Memoria Press 50 States, GeoPuzzles, GeoPuzzle game, and using globe/map in our daily readings

Science (Physics) - The New Way Things Work with a Physics Lab kit, dvd's, library books to fill in on light, magnets, electricity, etc.; she keeps a science notebook

Natural History/Nature Lore - Robert McGlung books (oral narration), Secrets of the Woods (oral narration), nature journal entry twice a week (one assigned, one free)...there is a great nature journal on lulu I think I'm going to buy

Literature - Parables from Nature, The Hurricane's Children, The Wind in the Willows (oral narration on all of these)

Latin - Song School or Lingua Latina (leaning toward Lingua Latina)

Gaelic - go-gaelic.scot and my own mish-mash

Logic - various books Logic Safari and chess every week

Music - lessons from me and term composer

Picture Study - SCM Portfolios

Art - ARTistic Pursuits

Handicrafts - origami and crochet and sewing

Cursive - Pictures in Cursive

PE - we have a farm, she has a goat....plus weekly ballet, bike riding, swimming when it's warm enough

Our co-op is a monthly meet up for Music, Art, Gym, and American Sign Language  Science.....I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I kind of hope not.  That's a long list!!  Thanks everyone for sharing.  I love reading through other people's plans. :)

Edited by beka87

For all my kids I have year subscriptions to Kitchen Table Passport and Spangler Science Kits. I am also going to try my best to put out a surprise Adventure Box (seen at Blog, She Wrote) at least once a month.

3rd grade (next year) dd will be doing:

Language arts -  Bravewriter lifestyle (poetry, tea party, free write, etc), Quiver of Arrows and Jot it Down

AAR 3

AAS 3

She has requested to start cursive so I'll find some book for this, maybe Italic Handwriting Series

Math -               Going to give Math on the Level a try and she loves LOF so I'm sure we'll keep working through those

Lot's of living math books, board/card games, etc.

Science/S.S. -   I purchased some Thinking Tree Journals to help guide us through "delight directed learning" for these subjects. Also plan to listen to SotW 2                                  audio book while we are in the car.

Home Art Studio - I just purchased the full set so I think we'll just start with Kindergarten since they all look fun. 

I will be pulling my kids from a university model school that they have attended for 1 1/2 years (homeschooled prior to that).  My soon-to-be third grader started half way through 1st (following the traumatic break up of my marriage) so she has had a bit of instability when it comes to schooling.

Singapore 2a/2b fairly quickly I hope (the school used Everyday math which has caused her to be a bit "behind"...hoping to catch her up) then moving into 3a

HWOT Cursive

Dance Mat typing

MFW ECC for geopgraphy/science (she can follow along with older sibling for ancients if interested)

IEW and maybe some Ready Readers

Spelling? (she's a natural speller)

Some fun FIAR stuff with younger sister

Piano lessons

Ballet, art, etc through local homeschool enrichment program

We also do family poet, composer, artist, Shakespeare studies

We will be doing, I think:

Math: BA (really hoping to not outpace their publication schedule; in case we do, feel free to recommend a 5th/6th grade math that is not writing-heavy, manipulative-heavy, or math mammoth/saxon/singapore (we have tried a lot of curricula!))

Writing/Reading: Bravewriter (we'll just continue with Partnership Writing and do more of the Arrows)

History: Interest led with maybe an underlying spine of American history - we're reading slowly through Our Island Story this year and liking it (despite its flaws), so if anyone knows of a similar book focused on American history that would be great.

Science - BFSU2, TOPScience kits for fun

We also have signed up for a homeschool day program  - it's one day a week within the local school district; 3-5th grades and STEM based.  Hoping that will help with socialization, mostly.

At the moment I am thinking archery (there is a homeschool archery program locally) and maybe fall/winter basketball.

Art and music, I dunno.  

• 2 weeks later...

3rd grade, 2016-2017:

Tuesday-Friday:

Latin: Latina Christiana

Math: Singapore Math Std. 3, CWP 2

English: Cottage Press F&S, Daily Grammar Practice (Alternate)

Spelling: R & S 4 Spelling

Composition: IEW ATFF, CAP Fable and Narrative1

Cursive: Seton 4 Handwriting

Literature using MP guides: Farmer Boy, Charlottes Web, The Moffats, SOTW 2

Block Schedule: MP Christian Studies l & Timeline::MP Greek Myths::MP States and Capitals & Maps-Charts&Graphs D::MP Astronomy & Mammals

Reading: MP list, WWE 1-2

Monday:

Catechism- Seton 4 Bible History, Faith & Life 3

Abeka 3 US History & D'Aulaires books

Edited by Ambrosia

I'm rethinking math ATM. Singapore 3a/3b or Strayer-Upton? Which would you choose for a neurotypical boy who doesn't like to do a lot of worksheets and got bogged down by fractions in Saxon?

We did Saxon from kindy to the first half of 2 without the worksheets. I'm not comfortable doing that for third grade and my gut is telling me not to order the worksheets for Saxon 3 right away.

We already have or can borrow the abovementioned alternatives.

TIA

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Tentative 3rd grade plans for DS#1:

Math: Beast Academy 5

Reading: McGuffey's 5th Eclectic Reader

Writing: WWE3

Handwriting: Cursive of some sort... maybe HWOT, but I might make my own program for him out of the cursive style in McGuffey's Readers

Science: Undecided, maybe continue in Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, or maybe not

History: SOTW2

Languages: Undecided.  He doesn't really like ASL and wants to do Spanish like his friends.  We'll probably still be doing Song School Latin 1 too.

Spelling:  We MUST finally start formal spelling! I have Spelling Power but haven't read past the first page.  Hopefully that works out...

Music: Want to start him in piano, but haven't worked out the details yet.

P.E..: Beginning gymnastics, at his request

Other: We're part of a public homeschool charter one day each week, and he'll probably take LEGO robotics, P.E., art, drama, and music or science with them.

ETA:

Forgot grammar!

Grammar: FLL3

Changing a few things...  latest 2016-2017 3rd grade plans:

Math: Beast Academy 5

Reading: Bits from McGuffey's 4th-5th Eclectic Readers and Critical Thinking Co.'s Beginning Reading Detective

Writing: Narrations from WWE3, plus EM Daily 6-Trait Writing grade 2.  Still not sure how to to best work around his dysgraphia

Penmanship: Modified HWOT cursive, Mickey's Typing Adventure

Spelling: AAS 1, as a tag-along.  I'm aiming instruction at DS#2 and hoping I can make it work so that DS#1 and DS#3 join in (so I have fewer lessons to teach!)

History: SOTW 2

Geography: EM Daily Geography grade 3

Science: Mystery Science!!!

Extras: gymnastics, budget permitting; beginning Spanish on an as-interested basis; and taking p.e., art, drama, Lego robotics, and science through our public homeschool charter

1st post here but here's our plan for 3rd grade. 

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Reading: Continuing our daily read alouds with lots of books from the library. 

Writing: WriteShop Primary C

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser 

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps & Geography 

We'll also be doing SOTW1 & RSO Life with my 2nd grader. 

I'm rethinking math ATM. Singapore 3a/3b or Strayer-Upton? Which would you choose for a neurotypical boy who doesn't like to do a lot of worksheets and got bogged down by fractions in Saxon?

We did Saxon from kindy to the first half of 2 without the worksheets. I'm not comfortable doing that for third grade and my gut is telling me not to order the worksheets for Saxon 3 right away.

We already have or can borrow the abovementioned alternatives.

TIA

I wouldn't do Singapore if your child doesn't like worksheets. I felt that was all Singapore was!

I don't know anything about SU. 

My child does Shiller and it is very non-worksheety but at 3rd grade it may be hard to start in on. They group 1-3, 4-6, fractions separate. So if you have younger children it may be an option, if not and he tests at level 3 I would contact them and see what they could do for you. 

I wouldn't do Singapore if your child doesn't like worksheets. I felt that was all Singapore was!

;

Thanks bunches, 3ladybugs. That's why I rejected it in the first place and dug my heels in about yesteryear's cool exciting and expensive tryn-dee curriculum. ;)

I'm feeling better today after finding Part Two of the workbooks for $10 on Abe books and realizing that my TM is probably a different edition than what CBD has the "refill pack" for anyway.

Let's update that to:

Math: I'm sure I can cobble together something; I've got a ton of stuff to work with.

Grammar: go back to Shurley or keep on keeping on with Easy Grammar, Ruth Heller books, The Oatmeal comics, Mad Libs, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire, and rude comments about all the bad grammar we encounter in day to day life.

Artist and composer study

Piano and/or recorder and/or guitar

History: We already read big bro's entire third grade curriculum for bedtime stories; guess we'll just read books, go to museums and antique stores, and talk about stuff.

Science: Read books and play with toys; he's a George's Secret Key to the Universe fan, so there's a lot of rabbit trails we could go off on from that.

GSWL and Hey Andrew

Cursive because it's third grade and third grade is cursive because it's third grade.

Tux Typing

Phonics: He's pretty much done, but I still want him to read aloud to me every day until I have to tell him, "You get your nose out of that book RIGHT NOW!!! It's time for chores/lessons!"

He likes Garfield, Peanuts, and Calvin & Hobbes for free time when the videos are all stashed in an external drive I lock in a trunk.

This years plans look very old school and unschooly but can I still hang out with y'all and talk about kilts and cupcakes anyway?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Change of plans! DS has the opportunity to go to a new gifted school-within-a-school at a public school, so we are going to try that out. I'm still keeping this list here, but it will be truncated and spread to the weekend. The priorities will be Spanish, world cultures & geography, and math.

World Cultures: Homemade course studying 15 countries around the world.

-Research projects & activities: A Trip Around the World

-Geography: worksheets from Expedition Earth, reading from Usborne Ency of World Geo, Disney's Our World, Children Like Me, etc.

-Websites: National Geo for Kids, Time for Kids, Activity Village

-Videos: New Dimension videos from Amazon Prime

-World Religions: Kids Book of World Religions, Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions

-Literature: some units from MBTP 8-10, other titles from the countries we're studying

Math: MIF 5, BA 4

Spanish: First Step en EspaĂƒÂ±ol, Next Step en EspaĂƒÂ±ol, Teach Them Spanish, EspaĂƒÂ±ol En Vivo, readers, etc.

Science: Tinker Crates and library books - MAYBE work through Science: A Closer Look 5

Composition: Igniting Your Writing 1

Art: Home Art Studio, Doodle Crates, Artist Study (monthly)

Music: Composer Study - maybe piano lessons

PE: swim lessons, ice skating lessons, maybe skiing lessons if we get any snow next year!

Clubs: His new school has a competition math team, running club, and Battle of the Books (plus others)

Edited by ondreeuh