Menu

books that open up discussions about big topics

I'm hoping you all may have some suggestions of books that are suitable for a youngish audience (my daughter is 9) but open up discussions about big ideas and topics.

Right now my daughter is devouring the Eric Schlosser book 'Chew on This'.  (See what I did there? Devouring? Chew on this? :laugh: )

This is the children's version of Fast Food Nation. She's completely engrossed. It's a 'can't put it down' situation, except when she's bounding out to me to tell me all the interesting/disturbing facts she's learning.

We've also read some thought-provoking fiction together recently, including Wonder, Out of my Mind, Rules, Mockingbird, The 14th Goldfish. Many of these were recommended by you lovely people. Thank you!

Do you have any other suggestions for non-fiction or for fiction that goes beyond just a good story? Something that makes us stop, think and discuss some big issues?

The Omnivore's Dilemma - young reader's edition - Michael Pollan

The Third Chimpanzee for young people - Jared Diamond

We Are the Weather Makers - Tim Flannery

5 Elements of Effective Thinking

The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan

Mind for Numbers

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson (kids' edition is A Really Short History of Nearly Everything)

• Like 3

Rose posted many of my suggestions! I'd also add Magic of Reality.

DD also really liked Philosophy for Kids. 

Definitely Magic of Reality! How did I forget that?

A couple of others I remembered when I looked at the shelves - 

Think: Why You Should Question Everything - Guy P Harrison

The Ten Things All Future Mathemeticians and Scientist Must Know - Ed Zaccaro

Evolution - Daniel Loxton

Bones, Brains and DNA - Ian Tattersall

Eyes Wide Open: Going Beyond the Environmental Headlines - Fleischman

FWIW, all the suggestions I posted except for Demon-Haunted World were things my dd actually read, or we read together, when she was 12 or under.  She is reading Bryson's adult book now, in 8th grade. But I did the kid version with my younger dd when she was 9.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 2

A big thank you for your ideas!

My book depository wishlist is growing.

Rose and deerforest, you've given me exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

It's funny, mathmarm, that you mention the Dr Seuss books. In the past couple of weeks my daughter asked me to pull out all the Dr Seuss books from a storage crate. She hadn't looked at them in years and then sat and read through them all. The Lorax and The Sneetches both ended up in conversations about the issues.

• Like 1

DD12 is reading Magic of Reality for the second time!

Other than the suggested books above, dd has recently loved Bill Nye's Undeniable and Unstoppable.  She has listened to the audiobooks, narrated by Bill Nye.

I would also add Sapiens (or his youtube course, History of Humankind).

Off to check out the ones mentioned that I have never heard of!

• Like 2

I wanted to add that documentaries (and films) are a wonderful way to start these big conversations as well.

In the last month, dd12 has watched Girl Rising, A Place at the Table, More than Honey, and Wadjda.

In our Amazon Watchlist are Dark Girls, Birders, I am Malala, The Light in Her Eyes, Dirt, Tapped, Chasing Ice, Dinsoaur 13, Monumental, The Harvest, The Lottery, Billy Elliot and God Grew Tired of Us.  And Nicholas Kristof has A Path Appears and Half Sky.  Not sure if she will watch those, though.  Maybe my older one, if she has time.

My older dd will watch Persepolis, Wonder Women.  She recently watched One Woman, One Vote and Iron Jawed Angels.  I designed a Women's Study with an emphasis on Feminism for her.  She is in tenth grade.

I have designed dd12's year around big issues - evolution, environment, food, girls/women.  Middle School kids tend to be ready and in need of those big conversations.

Also - Ruth in NZ uses Ny Times Room for Debate.  If you sift through the archived debates, you may find some good fits.  

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 2

The Giver & Farhenheit 451 produced many discussions abou death, value of life, society and laws vs freedoms, responsibilities to strangers. Tale of Two Cities, discussions about class and society, rights of citizens, personality and courage. Emma, expectations of women in society.

Edited by jewel
  • Like 3