Menu

Whiteboard cleaner---looking for recipe that won't take the finish off a whiteboard

I like to use Magic Eraser, too, for lots of things. But since ME can take the finish off of things (car paint, for one), I wonder if it will do the same to a whiteboard over time. The surface area of ME does scratch certain things, but I'm willing to test it on a little spot.

When you use it dry, does it accumulate marker mess like the standard marker board eraser? Do you simply wash it out occasionally?

Thanks!

I wouldn't use a Magic Eraser. It works with microabrasives. It will take the shine off semi-gloss paint with only one use (ask me how I know). I wouldn't trust it on a white board. I will take it's toll over time (like those whitening toothpastes that slowly take the enamel off your teeth).

I'd stick with rubbing alcohol.

I like to use Magic Eraser, too, for lots of things. But since ME can take the finish off of things (car paint, for one), I wonder if it will do the same to a whiteboard over time. The surface area of ME does scratch certain things, but I'm willing to test it on a little spot.

When you use it dry, does it accumulate marker mess like the standard marker board eraser? Do you simply wash it out occasionally?

Thanks!

It does accumulate marker mess, so I just wash it out once in a while.

I recall a thread several years ago about whiteboard cleaners. The discussion that followed was that some homemade cleaners take the finish off the whiteboard, rendering it useless.

Any good recipes out there? Thanks!

I use it about once a week to clean my tileboard whiteboard (I keep it in a spray bottle). I also use it on my actual whiteboards that I keep on the refrigerator and haven't had any issues.

I use it about once a week to clean my tileboard whiteboard (I keep it in a spray bottle). I also use it on my actual whiteboards that I keep on the refrigerator and haven't had any issues.

I use rubbing alcohol without issues. On my whiteboard that is. :rolleyes:

Doran