Menu

Service Dogs

fourcatmom

It can depend on what you want or need in a dog. A trainer who worked with dogs we had in past did training of service dogs (but not for seeing eye), which could be pricey, but depending on how much was needed, might not be that much--if maybe the dog needed only to be able to pick up dropped items and hand them to someone in a wheel chair say, and the person already had a dog capable of being trained that in a few sessions and was already well enough behaved to go into public places.

It is also possible to train ones own dog. Our current dog is the son of two service dogs who belonged to disabled Iraq veterans (a married couple) and had been owner trained. One of his sisters was adopted by a disabled person who was planning to owner train her--a puppy offspring of a former service dog being more likely to have what it takes to be a service dog than a random dog. Ours is not officially a service dog, but I would say is performing service role for ds, just sort of naturally. I had dogs in past who performed service role for me mostly naturally, but with some special training (balance help needed special training, for example).

And then, I think there are organizations that provide service dogs for free or almost free to people who need them (but probably with long waits) and depend on donations for their funding. Canine Companions for Independence is one such. There is another with a name I cannot now recall, but will post if I think of it--a movie about training service dogs was done by this group. The latter one I had actually thought of contacting to suggest that our dog's breed combo might be good for them to look at.  If you'd like a puppy sired by our dog and can provide a suitable bitch, I'd like a puppy or two of his. 

• Like 1

Canine Assistants
www.canineassistants.org/
‎

Non-profit organization training and providing dogs to undertake a range of tasks, including opening doors and retrieving dropped objects. Includes donation ...

Canine Assistants | Through a Dog's Eyes | PBS

www.pbs.org/dogs-eyes/film/canine-assistants
‎

Apr 1, 2010 ... Canine Assistants breeds, trains, and places service dogs with people who have physical disabilities, seizure disorders, and other needs.

This is what I want to do. The breeds I am looking at here (I am in Canada) can run anywhere from $700 to $1,000 or a bit more for a puppy, without papers. I have already told my hubby that this is what I want for our 20th anniversary. Tough financially since we have other priorities around the house but I want to add a dog to my toolbox of strategies to use with my youngest and horseback riding is not in the budget at the moment.

I will be training the dog myself. I have trained all our previous dogs using books and there are some book resources for that. We have a Cocker Spaniel but I need a larger breed. The dog will be able to reach him in certain ways that only animals can. We don't have the physical challenges in our case. My boy is autistic.

Anyway, nothing useful to add. Hoping you can find the best solution for your family :)

Wow! That is expensive! What breed are you wanting? 

Cricket, if you don't mind talking about it, what sorts of tasks would you like a dog to perform for your son?

This is a possibility I've been mulling over. So far I'm uncertain whether, on balance, it would be a good choice for my dd with ASD. Being responsible for a dog, however well-trained, in a public space might add more stress than it would relieve. Also, she is high-functioning enough that most people would not know she has any issues. I worry about creating a dependence where there isn't one now. Several professionals have mentioned a service dog as a good option for her, though.

If we did decide to pursue this, I'd like the dog to be trained to recognize the stress hormone cortisol and alert dd and us so we can modify a stressful situation.

Dd has also said she'd like a dog to be able to help her get out of an awkward or uncomfortable situation, maybe by whining on a private cue.

I'm wondering what some other possible tasks might be.

Cricket, if you don't mind talking about it, what sorts of tasks would you like a dog to perform for your son?

This is a possibility I've been mulling over. So far I'm uncertain whether, on balance, it would be a good choice for my dd with ASD. Being responsible for a dog, however well-trained, in a public space might add more stress than it would relieve. Also, she is high-functioning enough that most people would not know she has any issues. I worry about creating a dependence where there isn't one now. Several professionals have mentioned a service dog as a good option for her, though.

If we did decide to pursue this, I'd like the dog to be trained to recognize the stress hormone cortisol and alert dd and us so we can modify a stressful situation.

Dd has also said she'd like a dog to be able to help her get out of an awkward or uncomfortable situation, maybe by whining on a private cue.

I'm wondering what some other possible tasks might be.

This worries me to. My dd is not in a position at this time to require one or need one although I think it many ways it would benefit her. There are a lot of unanswered questions in regards to her health right now but time will tell. Just something I want to research. Thanks!

• Like 1

Top choice: Newfoundland (not too many options here in the Pacific Northwest where I live :( and they are usually the most expensive of my picks because of it.)

Second choice: Bernese Mountain Dog

Third choice (which will most likely be what I most realistically can afford): Golden Retriever or Golden Retriever/Lab mix.

We paid $650 for our Cocker/ Cavalier (aka Cockalier) 3 1/2 years ago, from a family, with no papers, and that was the going price at the time. Still is! The asking prices here are crazy! Even compared to Ontario where we come from.

Our first dog with my hubby was a Great Dane. He had the temperament of a service/ therapy dog. But sadly they don't live long and I don't want my son to go through what I did when he died :( I'm hoping to give him a dog he can grow up with.

I think Bernese are also short lived on average.

Any reason against a pure Lab?

You (OP and Innisfree) might also consider a dog like we have who is not an official service dog and does not go into public places where dogs don't normally go, but gives service at home and in places where dogs do normally go, not quite 24/7 but a lot of the time. He absorbs ds sensory seeking SPD type needs, from touchy feely needs throughout day, to wild adventures and roughhousing, to cuddling up at bedtime--actually ds can go beyond what dog can cope with and two such dogs would be even better to give one time off.  This dog also could have done things like turn lights on and off and other such types of service (he offered the behaviors, but was discouraged from doing it instead of putting it on cue).  The dog understands "Go get Mom" and "Find Sonsname" and other such things which can be a safety help for either of us.

I also had a dog when I was living alone who performed major amounts of service when at home--most particularly balance help, possibly even saved my life--but did not go into public places.

About alerting, that can be a tricky one IME. I had a dog who alerted to fragrance products which make me sick, but he started getting loud and a concern that he could have become aggressive about it, which lost him his ability to go into public places--sort of changed from letting me quietly know I needed to get away from something before I had obvious trouble to seeming to yell in dog language "you are making my person sick you soandso".

• Like 2

We had a Lab and he was the sweetest guy but sadly a bit lower on intelligence. He was my slowest learner. I have heard that from others as well, but our specific dog may have possibly been a product of inbreeding. We got him in Europe and sadly it happens a bit too often in some countries :( We may end up with a Lab though and my hubby is not thrilled with all my hairy dog choices anyway LOL.

My Cocker is highly intelligent, picked up basic commands within days, but not a suitable dog for the purpose.

Yikes! I was still stuck on the 10-12 year life expectancy for the Bernese. Apparently that has dropped down to 6-8 the most recent years. Apparently cancer is very common in the breed. Great Pyrenees have a longer life span and I have seen more of those here but I need to look into that breed a bit more.

Any other large breeds that would make good candidates :) ? I want to have at least 3 options in mind before we are ready to go ahead with it.

I have had more than one Lab or Lab mix, and in general have found them reasonably intelligent (usually less than a typical German Shepherd, but more than a lot of dogs, and usually easy to train).  My 2 most intelligent dogs ever were a Rottweiler mix (the guy who possibly saved my life by stopping me from falling down stairs), and a Lab mix.  In my own life, my second least intelligent dog was...ready for this?...and English Cocker Spaniel, but she was the sweetest girl ever...so opposite your experience in a way.

I don't think most Great Pyrenees would make a good candidate--too much the livestock guards.  We live in a farm area and there are quite a few around.

Female Old English Mastiffs I have known have been very sweet--don't know about longevity or breed tendencies compared to ones I have known--which was a very limited sample of maybe 2.

Greater Swiss Mountain dog would probably be hard to find, and pricey, but seems to have longer typical lifespan (and shorter hair) than Bernese. I've not personally known any.

Possibly Saint Bernard--I have known only 1 well, but he was a great dog.

There is a Golden Retriever in training to be a Guide Dog for the Blind at my ds's co-op who seems to be oversize for the breed, and unusually calm for any breed... . His facility is Guide Dogs for the Blind in Boring, Oregon, and they look for homes for ones who don't meet their demands.... could be there is a dog who would flunk as a dog for the Blind, but might still meet your needs. I don't know if this one is unusually big for them or if all their Goldens tend to be unusually large.

I don't think you should discount Labrador though. They are one of the top choice dogs for professional service dog trainers, and tend to do very well in both obedience and retrieving competition. I think they usually are very trainable and adept and versatile--esp if you look for one that comes from a service dog ancestry background or has dogs who had obedience titles in its line. They also tend to be dogs who enjoy some rough and tumble and a lot of up close and personal contact. To me they seem less sweet and sensitive than Golden retriever or Newfoundland, which might be helpful with a youngster who might over-interact with a dog.

My dog's service dog dam was a Labrador. His sire was a Labrador/Dalmatian 50/50 mix and both seemed to do fine as owner trained service dogs. The pure Lab was being a seizure alert dog mainly as I understood it, plus giving some balance help, and the Lab/Dal was dealing with PTSD and traumatic brain injury issues which could be more like ASD issues. possibly.

I would not recommend any Dalmatian in the mix for you though b/c of a single layer too short coat--he got all black from Lab side, but very short and no undercoat from Dal side. For US circumstances it is one reason I think the Lab/Dalmatian mix would be a good choice for use as Service Dogs--little to shed and very easy to care for. But ours gets cold easily and we are not as far north as you are. Also the dog is a step down size-wise from a pure Lab, which for us is a good thing, but it sounds like you want a giant size dog if possible, or at least full Lab size.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the individual animal is even more important than the breed.  The average golden retriever is kind of goofy and happy-go-lucky -- good for a family pet but not ideal for a service dog.  There are some amazing golden retrievers out there however, that would be great in that role.  Same for Labradors and other breeds.  So consider your preferred breeds, but also look for an individual with the right temperament and abilities.  Intelligence is important, but so is willingness to learn, focus, and just plain instinct for the job. 

IF you go back to an earlier page on the previous link, there are additional articles on choosing an individual dog that could be of use:  http://www.iaadp.org/criteria.html

Good luck in your search!

• Like 3

Pen, thanks for the warning about alerting. We would need to watch out about that sort of thing, certainly.

And yet, you know, that's the most useful, clear-cut *task* I can think of which might help dd. Our whole reason to go the service dog route would be to permit public access, for which we'd need well-defined tasks. Alerting us to stress would be very helpful.

Cricket, dd does have a dog already, and he does fill the sensory role you and Pen mention. More than that, he's emotionally soothing. He really fills the "emotional support animal" role already.

But there have been lots of times when I've wished we could take him along to provide that support elsewhere, and without qualifying him as a legitimate service dog, we can't. So that means he needs several tasks to perform.

I know tethering is sometimes a task, but that wouldn't be appropriate for us. As I mentioned, providing an exit strategy or perhaps helping initiate a conversation or introduction might work.

Clearly there's a lot for me to figure out here. I appreciate hearing how you all are thinking about using a dog. Are you interested in public access?

Kebo, those articles are very helpful, thank you! I particularly like the one on temperament testing. Dd's dog loves playing fetch, and I'd never dreamed that could indicate possibly being a good prospect.

One of the best reasons to go with a real service dog is the extensive health and temperament testing that reputable agencies do before they devote time and energy to training.

The best trained and most lovable dog I know is a service dog flunk-out due to a foot issue that became apparent after the dog was delivered to the agency from the puppy raiser (a trainer responsible for socialization, not the breeder). It would be horrible to devote years to daily behavior shaping just to encounter a health issue that prevents service.

In our situation, since I'm looking for a puppy, temperament testing would not be feasible. So I have to rely more on breed temperament based on a breed's history.

For public access, in our case, we like nature walks and are looking at starting to go camping again. Safety issues with my youngest have prevented us so far. I am not looking at taking the dog in enclosed places or places where he would not be allowed. This is when I may have worried about dependency with my youngest, if he got use to the dog being always with us. I am not looking at official certification at the moment, anyway. For us it would be an added cost that we don't really need at the moment.

A certain amount of temperament testing can (and should) be done with a puppy. Things like how it reacts to sudden sound like keys dropped, to being held up in air, and turne d with belly upward, how it reacts to a tossed ball, looking at where it fits in the litter--most bold, shy, middle, etc.

It is not foolproof by any means. But it helps. 

Pet stores are the last place I'd go to get a dog.

Our current one came due to asking our vet to keep eyes and ears open as our prior dog was getting older and I did not want to be dogless. The family that had him seemed to not be thinking clearly due to the PTSD and traumatic brain injury issues and had been planning to keep all the puppies their dogs had had. Our vet convinced them to give up all but 2 of the puppies who could learn to fill in as new service dogs when the parent dogs retired--that the whole group was too much like 101 Dalmatians and more than the couple could manage or afford. He's little by comparison to our previous few dogs who were giant, but a whole litter of energetic 65 pounders or so would have been a lot for a disabled couple to manage. He was basically free because they just wanted to be sure the pups would get good homes, not end up as fight bait or lab animals. The vet being the connection was assurance that we were a real home wanting a dog to be our dog.

Edited by Pen

You know, part of my choice is instinct also and I just realized that my son's sensory seeking tendencies has something to do with why I keep looking at hairy dogs.

Short fur for previous dogs and short, short (though not  as short and stiff a coat as a Dane) coat on current boy have been just fine for ds and his sensory needs.

Your cocker must have longish hair--does that particularly help the sensory needs of your ds?

Our current boy has parts that feel like velvet and are just wonderful to touch, especially his ears, chest and forehead, IMO, though ds is also especially fond of the dog's tail and feet.

I am happy not to have any brushing that needs to be done. Previous dog even though short haired was a heavy shedder and needed a lot brushing at which times current dog, when they overlapped, also got brushed because otherwise he seemed to be sad or jealous. He still enjoys a good brushing, but there is not anything to get knotted or catch burrs or anything, and very little shedding except a seasonal shed.

I'll look into the temperament testing. Thanks!

I agree on the pet shops but we didn't have too many other options when we were looking at the time. We were looking for a Lab specifically back then.

Having our vet keep an eye out is a good idea, although people here breed for money. I have also had my husband keep his ears open at his work but the right breed hasn't come up, much less one with service dogs in his bloodline. Although I'm not overly concerned about the pup being from service dogs. Technically for us, he will be a pet with some service/ therapy dog abilities. I need to get the book(s) I want to get a better idea on what specifically I want to train him on.

People here usually breed for money too--though without papers, OFA cert etc., not, I don't think, usually as high as what you mentioned.

When we told our vet, I said "Lab-ish," plus she knew the dog we already had and ds, so had some ideas from that. She also knew of another dog, older puppy, who needed a home because its owners could not manage it--though the reasons in that case worried me that there might be something wrong with the dog,though the vet said no, that they were first time dog owners and just had not understood what all it took and wanted to find a good home.  My mom also was once in this sort of position even though she was not a first time dog owner, when she had gotten a Jack Russell type dog, not realizing that it is a *lot* of dog, not a little, low key easy dog (mom could really use a Cavalier type dog--or for that matter a bigger retriever type dog would have been easier than the little terrier was most likely).  Our former girl dog prior to current boy had to be re-homed due to landlord issues--a problem which was significant, but not a problem for our family. So one sometimes finds people who have a dog they love, who is really a fine dog, just not a good fit in its circumstances, and they want a good home for it, and a lot of these can be good options. I would guess that happens in Canada too.

If the Cocker/Cavalier is generally excellent other than too small, what about a larger Spaniel such as a Springer, or if calmer is desirable a Clumber?  I know it is still way smaller than many you are considering, but maybe it would meet your (your son's) needs.

Also, the more I thought about it, I decided to suggest that Dalmatian female or Dal mix male might actually *not* be a bad choice if you were willing to get or make it a winter sweater--and I assume it would be a mainly indoor dog living with family anyway, not a backyard dog. My understanding is that one of their past uses was circus dog, and not just because of cute spots but because of excellent trainability (in general--individuals being different).

I guess a consideration also is what sort of behavior does a dog breed typically manifest, esp. with kids, and how high energy they are. Assuming they are kid-friendly, there are still some who will tend to be sweet, mellow and cuddly, and others who will tend to be boisterous, active and playful.What is needed could depend a lot on the situation you are dealing with in your various dc situations. 

Anyway, good luck, and I hope all of you find good dogs for your family needs.  That for us too since I am looking to get a second dog in not too distant future before current dog becomes a lot older.

Edited by Pen

I have a little thought. Seeing eye, of course, breeds, raises, and trains dogs for their program. They use only their own bred Retrievers, Labs, Retriever-Lab mixes, and German Shepherds Their standards are really high and some dogs don't pass the training. I would suggest getting in touch with your local Seeing Eye training group and letting them know you are interested in getting a service dog and asking how you might become eligible to get one of their dogs who don't pass the final training. I'm not sure how they handle this, but I think the puppy raisers are sometimes offered a dog who might be a very good dog but has a minor issue that would prevent them from being appropriate for a visually impaired person. 

• Like 2

Here are some examples:

(parents certified/ note: no mention the puppies will be certified)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dogs-puppies/vancouver/purebread-cream-golden-retrievers/1129770669?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's an extreme one for Golden Retriever pups but people pay it here so that's what they ask for. I have even considered crossing over to WA for a puppy but don't know how complicated going through the border would be and possible costs involved.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dogs-puppies/burnaby-new-westminster/purebred-golden-retriever-puppies/1127506321?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Jack Russells are the only small breed my hubby is really a fan of. Yup, they are lively ones. Small dogs with a big dog's heart. Tough little critters! Not suitable if you need a calmer type dog.

Nope, not really LOL. People still ask for top dollar to re-home their pets, believe it or not, and I also worry about the reasons they are. I'm also looking for a puppy between 8 weeks and about 14 weeks and most dogs being re-homed are older. My oldest pup has been our Cocker. He was 16 weeks. Even though the house was clean, I feel the owners, unfortunately, had the pups pooping and peeing indoors in a contained area of the house while at work. In spite his intelligence, due to the bad habits formed, he took the longest to housebreak.

My hubby wants us to avoid giant breeds due to costs of feeding. We both like Irish Setters as a breed but they don't seem popular here. They were on the list Kebo linked. They are high energy though and this boy needs a dog that knows how to calm him. He is not hyperactive but doesn't know when to stop when roughhousing, which is why he needs a dog big enough for bear hugs, but not overly energetic where he will tend to carry on the roughhousing right along with him. My boy is not rough but loves tackling, something that my oldest is not amused with. This is what our Cocker is not into either, so when he tries to give him a bear hug the dog backs away expecting a tackle to come next. Seems, Golden Retriever and Golden/ Lab mix is the best option!

All our pets are and have been indoor, including our cats (only have one cat now). The dog will have a bed next to my youngest son's bed, which is why I am really picky with breeds.

Dalmatians have a temperament similar to Irish Setters. My son is already the family clown LOL!

Thanks again Pen! All your suggestions have helped me sort through things in my mind a bit more. Hope you find a good one too :)

Best wishes to all :)

A few comments on the above.

Cockers have a breed tendency toward being hard to housebreak. Actually when I reported my cocker as lacking intelligence, it was her difficulties with housebreaking that I was thinking of, primarily.

I've otherwise found slightly older dogs are easier not harder to housebreak because they are old enough to have the physical ability to hold it in, and merely need to catch on to what is wanted. I would not expect any 8 week old puppies to be able to be housebroken, though I know a few do manage at that age. 

Many Golden Retrievers are very sensitive. Ones we have had in our family or that I have known well would not have dealt well with being tackled. They are bigger than a cocker, big enough for bear hugs IME, but they are sensitive dogs IME and you'd probably have to deal with your ds and the tackling issue not leave it to the dog or I think you'd likely have the same issue as you have now with the Cocker.  Actually in the case of one Golden I have known it could be worse than that and the dog could just go into avoidance mode all the time with regard to your son, not just when a bear hug caused anticipation of being tackled.

I've only ever known one individual dog who would neither be sensitive about being tackled, nor get into tackle back mode.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

BTW newfs drool like nothing else. They are a black hairy mass surrounded by a puddle :-). If I remember right, they don't like the heat either. Otherwise, absolutely lovely dogs. I'm not a dog person, and I've never met one I didn't like. I know someone with a lovely labradoodle service dog. Not too sheddy or smelly, and very smart, pleasant dog.

What about an Akita?  They come long-haired.   They were originally bred for extended hunting trips, so they don't eat much at all for their weight.  This isn't my dog, but looks exactly like mine.  They have a double-coat, so they shed like crazy twice a year.  They truly love hugs.  Main thing is that they need lots of socialization as a puppy. They also have a tight mouth.   

Senior%20and%20Akita.jpg

We got our Dane at 10 weeks old. He was already trained by his mother to go outside for poop. The breeders had a hobby farm. He was housebroken before we returned to work 2 weeks later (we got him while on vacation), with very few accidents beyond that point. He is just one example. There are ways of training a puppy that fast if you have the time to be consistent and take them out every few hours, as needed. I have followed the process from that book and housebroken our other dogs with the same method.

My son is NOT allowed to tackle our dog. This is why I constantly supervise his interactions with the dog, even though he has not attempted to do so for over a year now. Our pets are family members and are treated as such.

The point I was trying to make was that I want a larger dog for my son because they are not as sensitive to play. I am NOT looking for a tackling buddy for him.

Beyond breed temperament, a dog turns out the way he does based on how he is raised and treated. When he is raised with the family as a respected member he learns to be part of the family. We got our Dane close to one of our cats. She was so comfortable with him she would stick her head in his mouth. When he got sick, she never left his side till he died. THAT's the kind of respect and love I teach my children to also have for our pets.

Pen, I think you misunderstood my tackle comment. My son would hug the dog and then try to put his body on him to lie on him in a hug. It has never been with aggressive intentions and my son is not aggressive to begin with. It's a sensory thing. He gets very emotional seeing people harm animals. He left the room upset when we were watching Narnia (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) and he saw them cutting Aslan's mane and the witch killing him. I had to go to him and calm him and show him how Aslan came back to life again. He felt the same way about sheep shearing, thinking it was hurting the sheep. I had to show him images and videos that the sheep were not being hurt before he got comfortable with the idea.

You are right! I was picturing a "tackle" as  bringing the dog down to the ground as football player might do.  I would call a lying down with each other with the child giving the dog a hug a "cuddle."

Leaving aside my misunderstanding of how you meant "tackle," I'd still like to make the point  that some large dogs are more or less sensitive to play. Larger size does not necessarily mean less sensitivity, though perhaps it would mean less likelihood of actual injury. From personal experience, Goldens are more sensitive than Labs even though roughly the same size. Cockers are more sensitive than beagles in my experience, though also around the same size as one another.  (In fact a beagle might be worth consideration). Some of this is long time development and breeding. Labs were probably developed to work in cold waters of Newfoundland area--they couldn't be extremely sensitive.

I'd see the Goldens I have known as perhaps very suitable to OPs daughter who may need someone to quietly spend many hours with her as she deals with post brain injury issues.  I'd see all but one of the  Labs or Lab mixes I have known as more suited to a boy who may want to lie on it. Most of the Labs I have known would actually like that, not just put up with that. 

I am mentioning sensitivity of Goldens, IME, in same vein as that Bernese tend to be short lived, IME.   In both cases, Your experience may vary. I'd tend to apply the word "tolerant" to a Lab, and "sensitive" to a Golden. And the circumstances that you described would to me suggest that "tolerant" would be a better fit than "sensitive." 

• Like 1