Menu

Please advise re SWB's caution about SOTW4 age levels

kubiac

OK, so I have been playing the audiobook version of Story of the World for my five-year-old boy since last summer. I initially convinced him to try it by promising "There's lots of fighting." He loves it and demands it every time we are in the car. 

We have now reached Story of the World, Volume 4 and in the introduction, SWB states that it is geared toward the fourth through eighth grade level and that she would not use the material with a child younger than fourth grade. I do realize we are heading straight for mustard gas, the Rape of Nanking and the Holocaust and so much more, but

(1) kid will lose his mind knowing there is a Vol. 4 he can't have (OK, he'll yell and whine for a week straight and then shrug and forget about it)

(2) he is generally an emotionally sturdy and mature fellow

(3) I'd rather he learn about these things in my company than alone, where his fears can run wild.

SOTW has already yielded many great discussions ("Mom, how do you take over a country? Mom, who makes the laws for our country?") and I like to believe that Vol. 4 would just be a continuation of that pattern.

I know I'm the only one who can make this decision for our family, but I would love to hear the Hive's insight on this. Have you played the SOTW4 audio for a kindergartener? If yes, how did it go? If not, why not? Have you played the SOTW4 audio for a much older child and had disastrous consequences?

THANK YOU!

It's not 5 year old material.  Sorry.  That doesn't mean it would be disastrous if a 5 year old heard it.  I'm not an "all or nothing" kind of person who would equate not appropriate with disaster, but the content isn't developmentally or emotionally appropriate for a 5 year old. There are literally dozens and dozens of other books a child that age could be listening to that are full of high quality content and vocabulary that are developmentally and emotionally appropriate for a 5 year old, even one considered advanced in every way. 

I'm not one who is bothered that my child is anxiously awaiting a book they aren't ready for.  Anticipation isn't a bad thing.  It's not appropriate for a 5 year old, so my precocious, advanced, interested, excited 5 year old would just have to wait for SOTW4 until later. I have a child who could read like an adult by her 5th birthday.  She was very interested in a lot of things.  That doesn't mean everything that piqued her interest was what she needed at the time.

My older kids were around for Harry Potter as they were being written.  They had to wait a long time between books.  That's not a bad thing, that's part of developing fully as a person.  Not every impulse has to be gratified immediately.

• Like 6

Not having read book 4 just yet (we are almost done with 3), I'm not really sure how the events of book 4 will be more difficult than the events of any of the other books. Let's face it, history is full of bloody battles, atrocities, awful dictators, and the like.

I could be totally wrong! But as we've already discussed some pretty awful things in books 1-3, I'm not sure book 4 would be any different. At least for our family.

• Like 3

I wouldn't use it with a 5yo.  In fact, I wouldn't (and didn't) use SOTW at all with anyone under 6-7.  I feel so strongly about this that I purposely waited a year with my younger son to start.  If you look at my signature, you'll see that I generally have no problem with having my kids do things meant for older students.

• Like 1

I decided to start covering US history instead of continuing SOTW until DS 7 is a bit older. We have discussed "war" and touched a little on world wars I and II but not in detail. We've listened to SOTW multiple times (5 or more easily). Maybe you can start re listening and adding in things? Last time we listened we took more time to explore ancient cultures with audiobooks and documentaries. I try to do geography so that may be a bit you could do. We will use Hakim's story of US for US history I think.

• Like 1

OK we'll put a pin in SOTW4 for now. I have an audiobook version of D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (thanks to someone on this board for pointing out when it was a one-day freebie a few months back!) and Kathy Troxel's Geography Songs queued up anyway, I've just been waiting until we finished SOTW to get to them. I also love the idea of repeating 1-3 before heading back into 4. Thanks all.

• Like 1

Jumping off of this question. For those of you who do not find SOTW vol 4 appropriate for younger kids, what do you do when you have younger kids that like to hang around with the big kids' school? When I do SOTW 4 with my older kids, I'll have a Kindergartner as well. Since history is group work, SOTW will be read aloud. I'm not going to make the K'er listen, but she might choose to, just because she likes to be included. What then?

• Like 2

My son must've listened to the CDs hundreds of times, we wore one set out & replaced them. This was between grades1-3. Vol 1 & 2 were his favorite . He listened over & over while make scenes with his history playmobil guys & plastic soldiers.

I don't think we did Vol 4 till 4th or 5th grade, but I'm not sure. He then re read them all in middle school for fun a few times.

In between, he just repeated 1 & 2 a lot & we did a lot of US History (joy Hakim, historical fiction, field trips, documentaries, libertys kids, etc) since he was very interested in living history events & we ultimately became members of a F & I war group and a War of 1812 group that we spend good chunks of our summers working with. he's waiting until he can drive himself to join a Civil War unit, lol.

I thought for sure he'd want to be a history professor, or work at a living history site... But no, he's looking at engineering & comp sci- "history is just a hobby" he says.

• Like 1

Jumping off of this question. For those of you who do not find SOTW vol 4 appropriate for younger kids, what do you do when you have younger kids that like to hang around with the big kids' school? When I do SOTW 4 with my older kids, I'll have a Kindergartner as well. Since history is group work, SOTW will be read aloud. I'm not going to make the K'er listen, but she might choose to, just because she likes to be included. What then?

Perhaps give her something special to do at that time instead- headphones & her own exciting book to listen to while coloring or playing Polly pockets or whatever:)

• Like 1

Could you convince him there are SOTW levels in between 3 and 4, and insert CHOW and some others?

I'd have no problem telling a 5 year old that CHOW was the "next one", after SOTW 3.

I also tend to let young kids listen to things I probably shouldn't. Letting is different than scheduling.

If he recognizes the voice, what else is by the same narrator?

I haven't done SOTW personally, but in my country we cover modern history almost exclusively in primary (elementary) school. I don't think there's anything wrong with a young kid discussing the holocaust or other historical events. I remember hearing about some of the more violent acts and atrocities committed against the native people of my country when I was.... about 6? That included children being taken from their parents and sent to white families, and lots of killing. I don't remember specifically when I learned about the holocaust but I knew a fair bit about it by 3rd or 4th grade, because I remember a teacher when I was about 8 who discussed it, I'd even seen a documentary or two. Oh and I remember my 3rd grade teacher was very racist against the japanese and told us about some of their war crimes once. That was interesting given the age of the class....

Again, I can't comment to the specific nature of SOTW, but I'd have no hesitation reading historical books about those sorts of events with my Ker. They would, however, be restricted to ONLY when the child is with me and we can actively discuss the topics, which it sounds like you're already doing by making it a car activity. 

Edited by abba12
  • Like 1

My fifth 5yo is pretty precocious, and we don't censor much at all in his world.  Some people would strongly disapprove of many of the movies and video games we allow in the house. 

He's only heard volume 1 (read by me), and I have no reservations about volume 2.  I haven't really thought about 3 because we're not even close, but I can tell you that I would absolutely not do 4 with him at this age.  We'll see in another 2 or 3 years.  My 12yo is using volume 4 right now.

He wouldn't be scared or disturbed at all, but that's part of the issue for me.  He doesn't have the maturity to grasp the gravity of much of the content.  While I'm reluctant to view all of earlier history as "just stories", it IS in a way. We can learn from it, but most of the earlier events aren't continuing to play out today.  When we get to "today's" world, I want him to be in a place where his critical thinking skills are stronger and he's a little more cognizant of current events.

• Like 1

My kids grew up on the KJV Bible, all of it, so...um...yeah, they heard and read a LOT. :lol:

Haha, yes, we read through the Bible together, a chapter morning and evening, just like my parents didbwhen I was growing up. That covers just about everything awful that people could do! We have some very interesting discussions.

Though I have to say, we skipped a couple chunks of Judges this year - will revisit when our kids are not preschool and early elementary!!!

• Like 1

We're doing volume 4 now.  My youngest is 7.  I would've had no problem using it when he was 5.  He is also not sensitive at all.  It wouldn't have been okay for my now-9 year old when he was 5 or even 7.  He's much more sensitive than his little brother.

• Like 2

I didn't even read SOTW4 to my kids when they were the suggested ages for it (4th grade). I pre-read it, and there was just way too much violence in it. We did our modern era year using a series of books that talked about the athletic, artistic, scientific, and cultural happenings of the 20th century. I mostly skipped the political chapters because they were WAR! DEATH! VIOLENCE!

Regardless of whether your son is emotionally sturdy, he's five. There's no reason to rush headlong into the recent evils of the world. When my kids want something they aren't old enough for, I heartlessly tell them "Not till you're older."

I'd do the same in this situation with your son.

Btw, my kids are in 7th and 8th now, and we've still never read SOTW4. It's just not nearly as good as 1-3. The storytelling is distinctly lacking, and the focus is almost exclusively on war and politics, leaving out all the other interesting stuff that happened in modern times.

He wouldn't be scared or disturbed at all, but that's part of the issue for me.  He doesn't have the maturity to grasp the gravity of much of the content.  While I'm reluctant to view all of earlier history as "just stories", it IS in a way. We can learn from it, but most of the earlier events aren't continuing to play out today.  When we get to "today's" world, I want him to be in a place where his critical thinking skills are stronger and he's a little more cognizant of current events.

This.

• Like 1

Just a bit off topic, although my newly 6 yo has listened to all of the SOTW discs multiple times. We just wouldn't use all of the reading materials suggested. There are plenty of alternate materials for littles. I just want to say, should anyone decide to study the Holocaust with littles (even olders!) that we recently visited the National Holocaust museum in Washington DC. We were a bit reluctant as we were t really interested in a huge barrage of horrifying visuals for her. The lovely lady at the visitors center suggested we first try the special exhibit they have for kids, called Daniel's Story. It was incredibly well done and poignant. I highly recommend it, and it is available as a virtual tour:

http://www.ushmm.org/mobile/exhibitions-and-events/museum-exhibitions/remember-the-children

• Like 2

My DS7 (1st grade) and I are finishing up SOTW3 this year. We've been listening to it, along with Hakim's History of US on audio. I am skipping SOTW4 in 2nd, and instead will do a combo of a History of US, California history, and Canadian history (my kids are Canadians from my DH). I just want to give him another year of maturity before I discuss things like the Holocaust with my Jewish kid. He's very bright, and not super sensitive, but these are heavy topics. And I've come to realize that, just because he can, doesn't mean that I should. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread to report that I cracked and we started SOTW4. So far zero problems. I would argue that the only issue is that it's Real History which can be...stiff. But kiddo keeps asking for it and today he interrupted to say, "I was rooting for Ethiopia to win! I wanted them to win and then did!" I hadn't even been paying attention so I hope I am quoting that right and I just did the Mom grunt of agreement.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. This forum is so valuable.

• Like 5

I'm using volume 4 with my kids ages 6, 8, and 10. They are rally enjoying it. The book isn't too graphic for them and they are sensitive kids. I did not go into detail about some of the topics and we didn't do extra reading for events like the holocaust but it hasn't been too heavy for them. They have loved calling family members and asking what they remember about events such as the moon landing and Pearl Harbor. They have had wonderful conversations about history and I'm glad we didn't skip this volume.

• Like 4

My boys finished 1-3 throughly and 4 just the audiobook as a bedtime story. We will cover it with extra reading next year. I will screen the extra reading material. The audiobook was no worse then the war documentaries they watch with daddy on netflix.

But we come from a line of veterans that run mini drills with the boys during holiday visits for entertainment. My dad has PTSD so we had to explain at an early age to ignore what grandpa does sometimes.

• Like 1

My 3rd grader is doing SOTW4 now. My 5 year old is not listening along to it - I will start her with history next year on the next cycle through. I find despite the content that there are also longer chapters with much more politics in them and ways that governments run which would not hold my 5 year olds interest at all. My eldest has not enjoyed the sections in SOTW3 about child labourers so I will be sensitive when dealing with issues about either children or animals which concerns her more than adults fighting or killing each other right now.

Since SOTW3 we have been linking with current history as there are many similarities between what people are doing today and bad or good decisions made in the past by various countries and governments. I do try to keep a distance between what is happening now in our own country and the world and what is happening in our own home and suburb to prevent fear.

Edited by Tanikit