Menu

My continuing search for online AP Physics 1 and/or 2 courses...

When I first put together and posted the pinned physics thread, I realized that one of the areas where there weren't many options was for the algebra-based AP Physics courses.  Since I posted the thread (about a year ago - happy birthday, pinned physics thread! :D ), I've been searching online for some further options for those courses.  I know that they are relatively new and that's probably part of the problem but it's pretty slim pickings out there.  I've found a variety of resources and "helps" for AP Physics 1 and/or 2 but very, very few actual course options where there is a teacher heading the course and she or he gives and grades homework/assignments, gives feedback to students, gives and grades tests, etc.

Here's what I've found so far...

*Philfour has an AP Physics 1 course but it's a bit tricky to find info on the website and I'm still not sure if the "Everything" package includes graded homework during the course.

*Study.com offers AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 homeschool courses but I can't tell from the website what format the online quizzes, tests, and exams take.  Most online assessments like that are all multiple choice (because they can be automatically marked) and I don't know how comfortable I'd be with a student doing only MC-type assessments in an AP Physics course.

*Kolbe Academy offers AP Physics 1.  It's a live class (for us, I prefer asynchronous) but it's definitely a complete course with an actual instructor. :)

*Debra Bell offers a course through Aim Academy that could be prep for an AP Physics 1 exam but isn't technically an AP Physics course.  It uses Apologia (which is a deal-breaker for us) and then an additional text and test prep for students wanting to do the AP Physics 1 exam.

*Just today, I found this: STEM Prep.  It says it's a complete course but again, the only assessment seems to be MC-type assessments.

Anyone else know of any other online AP Physics 1 and/or 2 courses????  I can't believe that is all that's out there.  :huh:

I emailed the AP director at PA Homeschoolers and asked if they were planning on offering AP Physics 1 and/or 2 in future.  She responded that they would LOVE to offer those courses but the tough part is finding a good teacher and if I had any leads, to let her know.  So here I am - sussing out leads. :D  If anyone is interested or knows of anyone who is interested in teaching the alg-based AP Physics courses for PA Homeschoolers, I think they'd like to hear from you. :)

• Like 4

I emailed the AP director at PA Homeschoolers and asked if they were planning on offering AP Physics 1 and/or 2 in future.  She responded that they would LOVE to offer those courses but the tough part is finding a good teacher and if I had any leads, to let her know.  So here I am - sussing out leads. :D  If anyone is interested or knows of anyone who is interested in teaching the alg-based AP Physics courses for PA Homeschoolers, I think they'd like to hear from you. :)

Oh, goodness gracious. This made my heart skip several beats. I would absolutely love to do this, but I know that it is impossible during this particular season of life. 

I thought PAH had someone teaching AP Physics 1/2?? Jeff Lanctot? But now when I look at their website, I see that he is only teaching AP C. Didn't he used to teach the B exam? I guess I just wrongly assumed he made the switch to 1 & 2 when the College Board changed the course.

EdX has several courses related to AP Physics 1 & 2. I think it was Mark T who posted about the particular course focused on challenging topics on the 1 & 2 exams: https://www.edx.org/course/apr-physics-challenging-concepts-physics-davidson-next-phyapccx. I've enrolled in it and watched several of the videos just because I wanted to see some master teachers in action. :-)

Rice also offers an AP Physics 1 & 2 course through EdX.

• Like 8

UCScout has a teacher option

CTY JHU and Northwestern GLL has but requires participation in their talent search.

ETA:

http://www.ucscout.org/courses/ap-physics-1

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/program/advanced-placement-ap

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/advanced_placement/ap_physics.html

Thanks for these, Arcadia!  I had come across the CTY course in my search but not the other two.  Here in Canada, we wouldn't normally take either the PSAT, SAT, or ACT exams so I'd have to find a way for my dd to get a qualifying math score.   Hmmmm...  Something to ponder. :)

Oh, goodness gracious. This made my heart skip several beats. I would absolutely love to do this, but I know that it is impossible during this particular season of life. 

I thought PAH had someone teaching AP Physics 1/2?? Jeff Lanctot? But now when I look at their website, I see that he is only teaching AP C. Didn't he used to teach the B exam? I guess I just wrongly assumed he made the switch to 1 & 2 when the College Board changed the course.

EdX has several courses related to AP Physics 1 & 2. I think it was Mark T who posted about the particular course focused on challenging topics on the 1 & 2 exams: https://www.edx.org/course/apr-physics-challenging-concepts-physics-davidson-next-phyapccx. I've enrolled in it and watched several of the videos just because I wanted to see some master teachers in action. :-)

Rice also offers an AP Physics 1 & 2 course through EdX.

I was hoping you'd see this, Jetta. :D  If you didn't, I probably would have PMed you. :)  Maybe something for you to consider when your season of life changes. ;) :)

I had come across the EdX courses but wasn't sure if they were full courses (i.e. feedback and marking done by an actual teacher).  Will have to take a closer look.  Thanks!

Anyone have other finds they can share?  Anyone interested in teaching AP Physics 1 and/or 2? :)

• Like 1

If you need someone to grade, maybe online tutors would work. My boys need 3rd party nagging which is why I outsource.

You can consider doing one to one :)

We found a MakerSpace for our kids that allows under 13 to use the tools and equipment. Nice place to get labs done.

Edited for typing errors.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

If you need someone to grade, maybe online tutors would work. My boys needs 3rd party nagging which is why I outsource.

You can consider doing one to one :)

We found a makerspace for our kids that allows under 13. Nice place to get labs done.

I love the phrase "3rd party nagging". :D  Definitely works for my daughter!

It's not necessarily needing someone to grade due to lack of knowledge of the subject matter - it's trying to find an online course that provides the whole package.  From my experience teaching AP Chem, I know that knowing the subject matter and knowing how to teach it is only part of what's needed - the other part is knowing the AP curriculum inside and out, knowing how to teach the answering of the types of questions that show up on the specific AP exam, and knowing what the graders will be looking for on the AP exam.  If I can't find the whole package, though, I may end up going with one of the options above and doing what you suggest - hiring someone familiar with the new AP Physics format to mark. :)  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

Due to my current health issues I had to abandon my plans for AP Physics 1 this school year for my son.  

I did read and can recommend this study guide:

AP Physics 1:  Algebra Based by Greg Jacobs 2016 edition comes with downloadable extra practice.

This is a study guide for the AP test but it does have a whole year study plan.
The author has taught AP Physics for many years.

I also found this offering:

http://aplusphysics.com/courses/ap-1/AP1_Physics.html

• Like 3

Can I piggyback a question I have been wondering about?

Just who are the students who would be interested in taking the AP Physics 1&2 exams?

The students who are very strong in science and headed for STEM would not receive college credit towards their majors for an algebra based AP; the weak students would not attempt a physics AP. Students strong in physics who are taking algebra based phys in preparation for a calc based course would not have to bother aligning coursework with the AP. So who are the clientele? I have been wondering this since the College Board changed the exam and still have no idea what kind of student would be interested in taking this test. I would suspect that this conundrum is the reason for the relative dearth of resources, since there would not be much of a market.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Just who are the students who would be interested in taking the AP Physics 1&2 exams?.

High school students who are taking AP Calculus AB in 12th. The local students who would have taken AP Physics B which was discontinued. The local high schools have been wanting to increase the number of AP exams attempted by students.

• Like 2

Just who are the students who would be interested in taking the AP Physics 1&2 exams?

The students who are very strong in science and headed for STEM would not receive college credit towards their majors for an algebra based AP; the weak students would not attempt a physics AP - so who are the clientele? I have been wondering this since the College Board changed the exam and still have no idea what kind of student would be interested in taking this test.

Students strong in physics who are taking algebra based phys in preparation for a calc based course would not have to bother aligning coursework with the AP.

AP Physics 1 focuses on the Physics and the thinking about Physics from an experimental view. The math is very minimal. I think that the CB actually did something right.  For my son, this would drive home this process since it is too easy for him to just memorize stuff and "puke it out" for tests.

I agree that the actual AP exam part of the class/course is not very interesting except to test how well you learned to the desired outcome.

For top-top students this would probably be a waste of time.

Greg Jacobs has a blog that is interesting:

http://jacobsphysics.blogspot.com/

• Like 3

So why would they want to the the AP 1 exam???

To have an AP exam for at least one of the sciences. I don't know how hard AP Chem or AP Bio is but my neighbors aren't taking the SAT subject tests even though the high schools hosts them. So those on the slower math track would be taking their first AP exam in the sciences at 11th since the school requires finishing algebra 2.

AP Environmental Science is offered as an elective but the school wants completion of algebra 2 with the exception of teacher recommendation.

ETA

Prereq by school for physics 1

"Prerequisites: Completion of both semesters of Honors Chemistry and Trigonometry with a C or better and science teacher recommendation; see AP requirements"

For physics C

"Prerequisites: Completion of both semesters of Physics or AP Physics with a C or better and completion of a Calculus course with a C or be er, and science teacher recommendation; see AP requirements."

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Due to my current health issues I had to abandon my plans for AP Physics 1 this school year for my son.

Take a look at the PDFs here. The Knight text referenced to is a decent one. He can go over the text or any other text in summer. Giancoli is another decent text.

http://www.keeneisd.org/Page/2557

I am thinking of using the AP physics 1&2 materials for SAT physics practice for my oldest since the only teacher led courses I can find are intensive test prep courses for the test.

ETA:

AP exams cost a lot more than SAT subject tests though (1 AP cost more than 3 SAT subject tests). So we'll probably wait until AP Physics C.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

In my DD's case, we're considering having her do AP Physics that's algebra based in middle school both to provide another test on the transcript and because, if she stays in her plan to major in organismal biology, usually one physics class with lab is all that's required, and AP physics 1/2 would suffice. If she decides to change gears, she'd stil have time to take a physics class at a higher level, either AP or DE after calculus.

Basically, it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything, since she's advanced in math, has time, and simply isn't nearly as interested in physical science as she is in life science.

• Like 3

The students who are very strong in science and headed for STEM would not receive college credit towards their majors for an algebra based AP; the weak students would not attempt a physics AP. Students strong in physics who are taking algebra based phys in preparation for a calc based course would not have to bother aligning coursework with the AP. So who are the clientele? I have been wondering this since the College Board changed the exam and still have no idea what kind of student would be interested in taking this test. I would suspect that this conundrum is the reason for the relative dearth of resources, since there would not be much of a market.

In my dd's case, her high school discontinued the honors physics course. Her only choice now is Physics or AP Physics. She didn't want to go to the regular physics class because there would be lots of students who aren't interested in the subject and would be a distraction. However, now she's in a class that moves very quickly and she isn't retaining much. She is really struggling with AP Physics because the teacher expects the students to figure things out on their own and does very little actual teaching. She has no problems with the math skills.

She likely won't take the AP exam, both because she doesn't have a good grasp of the material and for the reason you mentioned: she's planning a science based major and will need to take physics in college anyway. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack Kernion

I received an email from MarkT asking me to add to this thread...

STEM Prep and Physics Prep offer full online AP Physics courses (Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C Mech, and Physics C E/M) that cover all the topics and learner objectives demanded by the College Board. Each course is unit based and has a defined workflow and schedule that, if followed, would completely prepare a "math-ready" student for the AP exams in May. The workflow of each unit contains video presentations, lab activities (both actual and virtual), practice problems with complete worked-out solutions, quizzes, and tests. The tests contain both multiple choice AND free response questions. The complete test and quiz solutions are also shown after the student submits the assessment. For the past three years students from across the country have utilized our courses to successfully prepare for the AP exams. We offer extensive support for our students and also offer one on one online tutoring for students who prefer that type of instruction. If you have any questions, please contact jack@physics-prep.com or at 412-779-9298. He would be glad to talk with any parents or guardians about how the courses can be used for homeschoolers.
Physics 1 and Physics 2: www.stem-prep.com
Physics C Mech and Physics C E/M: www.physics-prep.com
Edited by Jack Kernion

Many times Biology majors and/or pre-meds do not have to take calculus-based physics, but rather algebra-based. Now whether colleges are going to give credit for AP physics 1 and 2 is another question, but if they did, perhaps this would be a way to check a box in high school, or if it has to be taken again in college, at least ensure an easier A for those we who need physics but aren't actually as STEM oriented.

• Like 2

Sorry to have disappeared, folks!  My teaching course load at the college is almost full time this semester and, while the money is good, it takes up a lot of time.  I shouldn't complain, though.  I'm enjoying it. :)

I see others have answered your question, Regentrude, and I think it's a good one.  It almost seems like the College Board over-thought the whole AP Physics line-up and is providing too many choices.  I suppose there are arguments both for and against all the options.  For my dd, our choice to have her do AP Physics 1 (or 2) instead of the AP Physics C courses is mostly because I don't think she'd be ready for a calc-based physics course in high school.  She's more than likely going to pursue piano performance in university and so won't be heading into STEM (as sad as it makes her chem teacher mother ;) ).  In Canada, homeschooling is less prevalent than it is in the US and so universities here (many of them, anyway) would like to see something on a student's transcript that resembles "real school" (i.e. a brick-and-mortar school).  In Ontario, a brick-and-mortar school student would have a minimum of 6 Grade 12 uni-prep credits when applying to university.  I'm trying to mimic that with dd by having her write 6 AP exams (along with all her other non-AP course work).  With universities in Canada, it's somewhat hit-and-miss whether or not they will accept AP courses for credit so I'm not tending to worry whether her 6 AP's will be useful for credit purposes or not.  If she does an AP English, AP Calc AB, AP Chem, AP Physics 1 (or 2), AP Music Theory (which she's doing now as a Grade 10 student), and then a sixth AP then I'm hoping that will show any prospective universities that she is capable of relatively rigourous academics even in areas which are different from her intended major.  She'll also have non-AP course work, as well, and lots of examination results from the Royal Conservatory of Music.  We're crossing our fingers that it will all be enough. :)

• Like 1

I received an email from MarkT asking me to add to this thread...

STEM Prep and Physics Prep offer full online AP Physics courses (Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C Mech, and Physics C E/M) that cover all the topics and learner objectives demanded by the College Board. Each course is unit based and has a defined workflow and schedule that, if followed, would completely prepare a "math-ready" student for the AP exams in May. The workflow of each unit contains video presentations, lab activities (both actual and virtual), practice problems with complete worked-out solutions, quizzes, and tests. The tests contain both multiple choice AND free response questions. The complete test and quiz solutions are also shown after the student submits the assessment. For the past three years students from across the country have utilized our courses to successfully prepare for the AP exams. We offer extensive support for our students and also offer one on one online tutoring for students who prefer that type of instruction. If you have any questions, please contact jack@physics-prep.com or at 412-779-9298. He would be glad to talk with any parents or guardians about how the courses can be used for homeschoolers.
Physics 1 and Physics 2: www.stem-prep.com

Physics C Mech and Physics C E/M: www.physics-prep.com

Thanks so much for the clarification and for your contact info, Jack!  It definitely helps when trying to make decisions regarding which course providers to go with. :)

• Like 1

Maybe there's non- weak students that are not headed into STEM but would be served by a more rigorous class with a standardized test attached to it. This might describe my DS, who knows. We will take all the APs classes and tests we can, starting in 8th grade. Same reason we do AoPS even though no interest in STEM at all, just a harder way to do things.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

May I unearth this older thread?

I see that Jack Kernion now teaches AP Physics 1&2 at PAH. He still runs his Physics-Prep website. The pricing difference is fantastic - $650/Physic I - $400/Physics II - total of $1050 at PAH if you want to do both Physics 1&2. Physics-Prep is $150 per course, so $300 total if you want to do both.

Seems there are benefits to the PAH version - 2x monthly online video discussions, online forum moderated by Mr Kernion, & ability to call it AP Physics on transcript...

1. Anyone taken PAH's Physics 1 and/or 2 with Mr. Kernion?
  2. Anyone taken Physics-Prep's Physics 1 and/or 2?
  3. Would I start with Physics 1 for a student concurrently in AP Calc - if it's his first Physics course? Would I jump to Physics C? (He's just trying to meet the Bio/Chem/Physics recommended course)
  4. (ETA) And how hard is Physics 1 and/or 2?

Thanks! 

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 3

Areteem Institute is supposed to be the AoPS of physics according to some discussions I have seen elsewhere. They have an online AP Physics C course, and also an algebra based course, which might not be AP. This could be a viable option to PA Homeschoolers.

http://www.areteem.org/courses/live-course-schedule

Physics at the bottom

pretty darn expensive if you take all four quarter terms