Menu

What to do for Algebra 2?

I need to decide what to use for Algebra 2 ... I'll need something that has a relatively inexpensive TM for me since, despite my BS in Mathematics, I'm struggling to remember how to do stuff.  (My older kids were very independent and did AoPS online by this age.)  Dd is smart, but struggles more in math than her older siblings.  We had a rough start with Discovering Mathematics (Singapore) and switched to a bit of Khan Academy and then to Dolciani for Algebra.  Dolciani seems to be sticking for her.  She is finally developing some confidence.  

I was planning to do Geometry and Algebra 2 simultaneously, mostly to make sure she doesn't forget what she learned in Algebra 1.  I have Jacob's Geometry on the shelf.  What should I get for Algebra 2?  Any ideas? 

We are using Math-U-See for Geometry now and my freshman son really likes it.  There is a Teacher's Manual and teaching DVD, plus student text with the assignments and a test manual with the tests, unit tests, and final exams.  It is relatively inexpensive new (less than $100) though we were able to find it used for $35.  

I'm using Lial's Intermediate algebra for algebra 2 with my son and I really like it. He is smart, but needs to have the new concepts presented and then needs plenty of practice. There are dvds you can buy to go with it that we have been using. Lial's is also very cheap if you buy it used online.

If Dolciani is working for her, why not stick with it for Geometry and Algebra 2?

Do you know where a reasonably-priced TM/Solutions Guide (I'll take either) for the Dolcani Algebra 2 would be sold?

Seton Homeschooling has the best priced Jurgensen Solutions Guide I've seen without stalking the used book markets for months. Sometimes you are able to get a better priced one, but Seton's stay that price all the time, I think. Darn. Went to link it & it looks like Seton is out of the Solutions Guides. Bummer.

I need to decide what to use for Algebra 2 ... I'll need something that has a relatively inexpensive TM for me since, ...Dolciani for Algebra.  Dolciani seems to be sticking for her.  ...

I was planning to do Geometry and Algebra 2 simultaneously, mostly to make sure she doesn't forget what she learned in Algebra 1.  I have Jacob's Geometry on the shelf.  What should I get for Algebra 2?  Any ideas?

I think it's an excellent plan to do algebra 2 alongside geometry.  We did that and it worked great, including using Jacobs Geometry (3rd ed, although I'm sure the 2nd would be good too); IMO it's a very solid geometry book, and I'd stick with what you have, especially since you're trying to conserve funds and don't sound like you'd be using AoPS geometry.

Assuming you're not going to use AoPS, I would tend to stick with Dolciani for algebra 2, since Dolciani's algebra 1 is working for you, but there are probably a lot of other algebra 2 texts that would work.  If you want a solid alternative, you could consider Foerster, or some of the used school-like texts, such as by Prentice Hall or Houghton Mifflin, which are cheap around here although teachers editions are rarer.  Lial's strikes me as a bit too calculation focused and not as solid for problem solving.  Prices of used texts and TMs/solutions manuals may drive your decision, so it's hard to say.

By the way, the Jacobs algebra 1 review is lousy (it's just calculations and just in batches of similar drill problems after chapters), but you don't need it since you'll be doing algebra 2 at the same time.  Finally, make sure you cover some data analysis and statistics, as many or most of the school textbooks published in the past 20 years do as it's a highly useful for later coursework, standardized testing, and even reading the newspaper nowadays.  Best wishes!

We're using Saxon Algebra 2 text with the solutions manual, and it's working really well for dd. 

We supplement with math contests from the Canadian University of Waterloo (free on-line tests and solutions) http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

I forgot to add that Saxon Algebra 2 Second Edition has geometry in it, and the math contests have all kinds of geometry questions.

• 10 months later...

We're still in Algebra 1, but I put together 1988 Dolciani 2 for a pretty reasonable price over a couple of months- text, teachers edition and solutions. My covers look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Trig-Book-Grade-2-12730/dp/0395430542/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1479817880&sr=8-16&keywords=Dolciani

We like the series, but I also have Foerster on the shelf, and pull it off when dd needs more explanation. Foerster is actually more independent for her, and I think I might take a look at it for Algebra 2. The solutions are available new, so I don't feel like I have to look quite yet.

We will do Jacobs 2nd edition for Geometry and probably use ALEKS Geometry a little behind it for both algebra review and to make sure I don't miss any "modern" topics. The Teachers Guide for Jacobs 2nd edition looks very user friendly.

Dolciani 2 that I linked above also is pretty much an Algebra 1 review for the first 4 chapters, and I might use that with the geometry if we need more review. I had also thought of just using those lessons from Algebra 2 for "Friday" math so she's done with the first four chapters of Algebra 2 and all of geometry at the same time.

HTH

Edited by elladarcy