Menu

Catholic friends: Could you recommend a good website for an online dictionary?

My youngest daughter is in 6th grade in a Catholic school. Every week she has vocabulary words to write down, and I can give her many or most of the definitions, but I'm not sure if I'm always giving her the Catholic definitions that she needs. The book they're using has many definitions, but not all of them.

If there is some online Catholic website that would give relatively simple (think 6th grade) for vocabulary words, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :)

Is this for religion class or vocabulary class? If it's for regular vocabulary class, there really isn't a separate language that Catholics use. :D I use this online dictionary. The Catholic school at our church uses Wordly Wise. If you're looking for something for religion class, you might find what you need here or here.

assigns different vocabulary words for each chapter. Most of them are familiar to me (a Protestant), but some are not familiar, and some aren't defined in the book or in the glossary in the back of our book.

I will check out the links, Laura. Thank you so much!

Added later: I just checked these out; both look very good! I bookmarked the website you noted.

I don't have an online one or even one for the kids (though their religion books do have great vocab/defin in the back). If you would like one for yourself to explain things to her, my all time favorite Catholic dictionary is Father Hardon's.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=5178580&matches=17&author=Hardon%2C+John+A%2C+S.J.&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Thanks for the link to the one Laura. I have never seen that one before.

I don't have an online one or even one for the kids (though their religion books do have great vocab/defin in the back). If you would like one for yourself to explain things to her, my all time favorite Catholic dictionary is Father Hardon's.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=5178580&matches=17&author=Hardon%2C+John+A%2C+S.J.&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Thanks for the link to the one Laura. I have never seen that one before.

as well. I think I'm going to need something like this to help me understand some newer vocabulary words.

I do like the book that they're using, and I'm finding that many/most of the vocabulary words is very similar to how I would define things. I'm also very pleased with the teacher; I had some concerns about my dd's struggles with a few tests/quizzes, and the teacher's response was very encouraging and gracious.

We've always done devotions in our house, but have never studied these concepts in a more formal manner, so this is new territory for my dd (not for me, though.)

Thank you!