Menu

does this look like dyslexia?

When she clearly has reversals.  How is her reading?  

You can get evals through the ps, the Scottish Rite, a dyslexia school, or privately.  There *are* some other explanations for reversals (vision, bilateral brain function, etc.), so you do evals to sort it out.  You can get a vision eval with a developmental optometrist.  I always suggest starting with just a basic annual exam and asking them to *screen* for the developmental vision stuff (convergence, focusing, etc.).  That way you're not invested if you don't need the longer eval or don't like the doc.  You find a dev. optom. through COVD.  

As far as actual dyslexia/SLD Reading testing, they're going to be looking at her CTOPP (test of phonological processing) scores (or something equivalent) and comparing it to achievement testing and IQ.  Her spelling seems pretty good, fwiw.  She definitely needs some evals to figure out what's going on, but you just have to go through the process and see what they say.

• Like 2

I agree that it would be good to have her evaluated. DD10 has dyslexia, and her writing looks similar to that. But there could be other causes, and a pro can help you figure it out. As Elizabeth mentioned, dyslexia is a phonological processing disorder. Does she know the sounds the letters make? Can she sound out words that she doesn't know? DD10 has had a lot of phonics, but she just can't remember it and put it into practice, which is common for dyslexics.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest trinity1913

It looks like my son's dysgraphia. Sometimes that goes with dyslexia but not always. His reading, spelling, oral etc are at 8th-9th grade level and his writing at Kindergarten. It is a motor skills and perception deficit for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninanoo, agree with above.  There could be many things affecting her writing.  You need testing to tweak out the underlying causes of her difficulties.  As others have asked, how is her reading out loud?  Can she decode words effectively for her age?  Does she skip small words a lot?  Say the first part of the word and substitute something else for the rest? How is her out loud reading fluency?

• 2 weeks later...