Menu

Math Book Recommendation

DD age 5 is slated to be done with Saxon Math 1 at home around mid-March. At B&M school she is doing enVision K. We are starting to rev afterschooling back up, as we took it very mild last semester adjusting to kinder, a new job for me, and some medical issues. I like the repetition of Saxon and the use of manipulatives, but I'm not sure it's what's best for DD. If she grasps a concept she wants to move on quickly, but doesn't want to do something if she doesn't understand it. She likes Khan Academy and Mathseeds, but will reluctantly do xtramath. I'm going to start Miquon next week. I want towards having her do BA when she's ready. Ideally I would like something under $100 for a grade level and preferably reusable as little sister is a year behind. I'm thinking of supplementing with Kumon workbooks over the summer to shore up any skill gaps. DD needs to be kept busy and challenged to stay out of trouble and she's not being challenged at school. Sorry about the rant I guess my main question is what to use as our spine when we finish up with Saxon 1?

• 3 weeks later...

My twins' school also uses enVision. First and second grade gets to be extremely repetitive, but in 3rd grade I'm noticing a huge step up. We have always afterschooled with MEP, picking and choosing only some of the problems. I feel that this has prepared them extremelely well and both boys are now ahead of the curve. MEP is very challenging, but it increases the difficulty gradually.

I don't think many young kids enjoy coming across a problem they can't solve right away. To them it is only black and white: I can either do it or I can't! I see it changing somewhat at age 8 almost 9 now, but this change comes with frustration. One of my sons will attempt a problem, have a meltdown and run off into his room, only to come back with the answer to his problem.

Have you taken a look at MEP?

• 2 months later...