Menu

Experienced users of IEW's Teaching Writing: Structure and Style

dsbrack

I'm considering purchasing TWSS as teacher training for writing.  My ultimate goal for the program would be for me to internalize the teaching methods and apply them to our history and science studies not needing any additional writing resources from IEW.  Did you feel like you could make your own writing assignments after viewing the TWSS videos or did you need the SWI to solidify the practical aspects of the teaching?  At what point did you feel comfortable making your own assignments: after viewing the TWSS videos, after implementing SWI for a year, or after completing the continuation courses and some theme based units? 

Not a very experienced user as I've just plodded through it on and off the last couple of years with a few stops and starts. I'm only up to Unit 4.

But I have been watching the new TWSS videos the last few days, and today as I was watching I thought to myself that the program will be the most successful with me driving the wheel and not relying on SWI at all. And that it would be more beneficial to engage with my student one on one. It has taken me a bit to get my head around how to use the program and where it is heading, so I haven't rushed into it. However I now feel more confident that I have grasped the overall long-term goals and that I do not need someone else to design the lessons and choose the sources. He speaks clearly and to the point in the new TWSS so it is not as confusing I am finding.

In a podcast I recently listened to, Andrew suggested these two sites to get sources from:

Aesopfables.com

Britannia.com junior

Even though I've had this program for a while and listened to Andrew's talks it is only just sinking in now how I really appreciate this approach to learning and also how I can easily apply it. It's the same approach that I now think is the best way to go for whatever the subject. Ie If learning to paint and wanting to improve one's technique, then copy an already existing great artwork and expand your skills that way, rather than trying to invent the wheel.

• Like 1

I do feel like I could have made up my own assignments right off the bat.

I didn't do that b/c I wanted the pre-planned, mostly independent program for my kids, but I absolutely do feel the TWSS program provided plenty of instruction to go independent.

I don't have the updated TWSS, which I believe has added information.

• Like 2

I think it's very doable to watch TWSS and start with your own assignments. I remember somewhere Andrew Pudewa even suggesting that is ideal. For me, I used a theme book for the first year and made my own handbook to go with it. However, I also incorporated IEW techniques into other subjects, namely the Key Word Outline. For the past few years, I've completely done my own thing, using my own handbook and incorporating IEW principles and techniques. I think certain units go well with certain subject areas. What was most helpful was planning the year in advance. For instance, I had them KWO certain Scripture passages we were studying in order to give them a good tool for future Bible study. Knowing that we were going to use SOTW, I would use one of the narrative stories for Unit 3. Use a specific science concept I wanted the kids to dig a little deeper with for unit 4. I used my timeline cards for the writing with pictures unit. At the end of the year, I used the guidelines for unit 7 for them to write a reflective personal essay on what they accomplished in the school year.

It does require more work upfront then just the open and go plan, but it's very worth the effort. It really solidified the whole learning process. What was most helpful to me was his talk in the 4 Language Arts - listening, speaking, reading and writing. I make sure to incorporate all those components into every subject area and don't need to have those writing checklists that seem to get many people bent out of shape. By doing this process over several years the kids have internalized these anyway.

I think starting out with just history and science is a great approach. Just see how you can take what you're learning and apply it across multiple IEW units.

Edited by aaplank
  • Like 1

These responses are very encouraging.  I'm already forking a lot over for TOG Year 3 next year so I would really be stretching our budget to get TWSS and SWI.  I'm leaning strongly towards just getting the TWSS and applying it to our TOG writing assignments, literature, and science studies.  I love the idea of using outlining with our scripture passages.

• Like 1