Menu

Questions for INTJ personality types

JenniferB

INTJs, why do you homeschool? For the sake of the kids, do you engage with groups like co-op, CC community, play groups, field trip groups, etc? If so, how do you get along with your group? Are you able to stick with one group very long? If you don't do groups, how does that play out with the kids?

I don't know what an INTJ is.

I suspect I might be like that because I can answer this question.  I have tried to find groups for the sake of my kids.  Every single one of them fizzled after awhile.  I now look for stuff not related to homeschooling anything because I'm sick of my kids ending up disappointed.  Homeschoolers are flaky it seems.

Being very honest, this has been the hardest part of homeschooling for me.

• Like 6

I'm an INTP/J.  I say P/J because I'm nearly equally P and J.  Typically when I take the test I come out with 1 - 2% on the P side or the J side, so....equal.

Ok, so to answer the question, I homeschooled because my child needed me to.  It was the best option for her. 

We did not do co-ops, play groups, group field trips, or any of those things.  I simply wasn't willing to, partly because I also worked full-time, albeit from home so, I could have squeezed some of those things in if I'd really tried.  I did have DD involved in some activities, like homeschool music, art, drama, living history. All of those things were primarily with one group, which she really enjoyed, but I was really the one who drove her there and the one who paid for things.  We did field trips on our own.

My child has ASD, so it could be a bit different for her, but this arrangement worked very well for her. 

• Like 4

INTJs, why do you homeschool? For the sake of the kids, do you engage with groups like co-op, CC community, play groups, field trip groups, etc? If so, how do you get along with your group? Are you able to stick with one group very long? If you don't do groups, how does that play out with the kids?

I do it for my kids. I don't do groups of any kind (torture) but I do help my social kid get/ stay involved with her sport. She has plenty of social time that way.

• Like 1

There aren't too many of us :). I actually fall right between I and E since I can take being social and take control of social situations so I don't have to feel so off balance. It's a coping mechanism, not because I actually like people, but that may affect my answer.

I do co op and such for the kids, yes, and because I can usually go off in a smaller unit and have a good conversation even in a group activity. I do tend to stick to the same activities so I can get to know people better. The downside of this is that more people want to visit when they know you better and that can be exhausting.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We did co-ops and group field trips. I hated it, tbh. I never fit in with the other moms because I'm (whisper) divorced. I was delighted when DD aged out of those activities. I found most of the other moms to be shallow, judgmental and very, very proud of themselves for being such wonderful mothers and wives. It made me want to hurl, most of the time.

• Like 2

I home educated initially because Calvin was 2E and the school situation was not good.  We then moved to China and there wasn't a local school that made sense.  While there, I stuck with a highly unsuitable home education group, as well as a difficult Scout situation.  The boys also had lots of local friends - we made sure to choose a living situation that encouraged this.

Once we moved to Scotland, I could only find one home-ed activity that worked - a once-monthly book group.  I drove up to an hour each way every day for non-home-ed activities: chess club, Taekwondo, Scouts, Young Engineers, music lessons....  

When it seemed like the right time to us all, the boys went to school.  It was the right decision.

I have a very, very strong sense of duty, which overrides my need to go and hide in a hole somewhere when my children need me to be out and about.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

J/P is my weakest of the 4 modalities, at 25% J, the INT is strong in this one.

I work outside the home 4 hrs per day, own a business. I have one child (of 3 currently HSing) who strongly wants and asks for group/co-op stuff. Also, since I'm gone for a portion of the day, meeting day breaks that up a bit. I would prefer not to do groups, but I force myself. Inevitably, I find something "wrong" with the group and I switch or create my own or do a group less year.

If I was honest I would admit that I homeschool for myself. I like the challenge and I like learning new things, integrating my own interests into our together time, I like spending time with the kids and at home, and I can't stand institutions like public school with so many flaws. I think my kids benefit from it, and get a great childhood reading awesome books, but I get most of the benefit I think.

I struggle with sticking to a group and I ask myself constantly if I'm short changing my kids of a consistent peer group.

Help.

• Like 4

We homeschooled because it worked for us at the time. I never did it necessarily with the intention of doing it for the entire time, but assessed it on a year-by-year basis. (My dc are now both high school age & attend the local public high school. We ended up homeschooling both children through 8th grade.)

When they were younger, we did play groups, classes, activities, etc.... Some were for their sanity & outlet, some for mine. (Just because I'm introverted doesn't mean I don't also want other adult interaction.) I never signed-up for a co-op because I didn't want the formality of that arrangement & for me to have to teach others too. I'm also not into being part of a group that requires fundraising, so I steered my kids away from things like that. We did limit the amount of activities to keep it reasonable for our family. For example, dd was doing two 'fun' activities regularly & wanted to add another one. I told her that she needed to stick to two -- she could pick which two, but two was the limit. The things we did were fun &/or beneficial (& created friendships too). We had good experiences.

That said, there were times I didn't enjoy stuff like that because of my INTJ personality. But, probably also because of my personality, I sucked it up through the times I didn't enjoy because the better times were more plentiful &, to me, there was a larger benefit to be had (vs. my own comfort-level) by doing these things.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

INTJ is a rare personality type, but well represented on this forum. This personality type is introverted, intuitive, thinking, judging.

Take the test here:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I wonder why that is?  

I am very much an INTJ.  I think my lowest percentage is 76%.   In my case it was because I'd wished I was homeschooled.  Maybe that is more likely to be true of INTJ's? 

You're not short changing your kids, and if your reasons for homeschooling are bad then mine are too. I do it at least as much for my own enjoyment and preferences as for their good. Thankfully I have kids who are sensitive and do best at home as well.

I really don't think group activities are necessary for the kids. Swimming and co op are our biggest group activities and one is a life skill, the other is just because they love it and we love the breadth of classes - especially the messy ones I couldn't do myself without freaking out. But it is easy to isolate in each of those activities if need be, to not burn out. And we do lots of things like piano and dance that are solitary and I couldn't name almost any other kid or parent in the activity. I love those best :o

I struggle with sticking to a group and I ask myself constantly if I'm short changing my kids of a consistent peer group.

Help.

If you want to stick w/ a group for a year/be consistent, I think you just need to remind yourself that you are reaching a lot of your goals & that this one particular thing can be ok (doesn't have to be perfect) & still meet the need (which, in this case, is for your child instead of for you).

Since it sounds like you love homeschooling & are leading your almost-ideal homeschool life, I think it ok to have just one 'mediocre' area (i.e., one that you don't enjoy or like that much) if it is for the greater good overall (your child's happiness &/or a consistent, long-term peer group). Give it a good long time (maybe a year) & then tell yourself that you can reassess at that point.

:grouphug:

Just my two cents....

I score strongly INTJ. We don't belong to a co-op or a group of any kind. Neither of my boys has expressed any interest in such a thing. My DH is very introverted, and both of the boys also show a strong preference for introverted activities. I home-school for other reasons than my introversion, but I'm glad I can provide them with a restful environment that fits their need for solitude and quiet.

• Like 1

We homeschooled because it was the best choice at the time and we continued because dd wanted to.

She did cc classes, but never co-ops. She was a gymnast and a climber, but we never did play groups. When we were in Phoenix, we went on occasional field trips with some random group that was comprised of people I never needed to know and never socialized with.

She was heavily involved with gymnastics, where nobody was super into outside commitments, and she was fine with that. I didn't really socialize with the other parents, but it was such a small group that I broke after a couple of years and decided to like them ;) I still didn't, like, "do" things with them, but I did engage in small talk, at least. Eventually, she became quite involved with the community college community, joining clubs and such, but the only thing I ever had to do was drive her places sometimes and bake something once in a while.

Had she craved more social things (and had the time), I would have signed her up and dropped her off or been the aloof mom that you never really want to approach. Sorry :(

I wonder why that is?

I am very much an INTJ. I think my lowest percentage is 76%. In my case it was because I'd wished I was homeschooled. Maybe that is more likely to be true of INTJ's?

I think a homeschool childhood would be ideal, what an awesome childhood. One can study all.day.long, from your own interests and in your own way! Yes, I agree, I should have liked to have been homeschooled.

INTJs are perfectionists. Certainly the public schools leave an INTJ feeling uneasy, unless of course it's perfect for your family.

Edited by JenniferB
  • Like 2

I homeschool because DS is 2E and after trying both private and public school there really didn't seem to be any other option. Once I started homeschooling DS, I decided to pull DD out as well, because I liked the freedom and flexibility and just the general lifestyle of homeschooling (including getting to spend lots more time with my kids).

We have never done "groups," other than sports classes (TKD, rock climbing, fencing, gymnastics) plus DD did Youth Orchestra for a few years. Currently DS takes one in-person science class, and DD takes several (mostly science and art), plus they spend a lot of time on their respective sports, and DD has neighborhood friends she hangs out with. DS is an introvert like me, but DD is very much an extrovert, and they each seem to get the level of social interaction they want.

But all of their activities have been the "drop off" type — I definitely avoided things like playgroups or park days or things that would have involved a lot of "mom-to-mom interaction." Making small talk is my idea of hell on earth, so I would have been the one sitting alone in a corner, with my face buried in a book avoiding eye contact with everyone. :p

I suspect I might be like that because I can answer this question.  I have tried to find groups for the sake of my kids.  Every single one of them fizzled after awhile.  I now look for stuff not related to homeschooling anything because I'm sick of my kids ending up disappointed.  Homeschoolers are flaky it seems.

:grouphug:  Me, too.

I work outside the home 4 hrs per day, own a business. I have one child (of 3 currently HSing) who strongly wants and asks for group/co-op stuff. Also, since I'm gone for a portion of the day, meeting day breaks that up a bit. I would prefer not to do groups, but I force myself. Inevitably, I find something "wrong" with the group and I switch or create my own or do a group less year.

If I was honest I would admit that I homeschool for myself. I like the challenge and I like learning new things, integrating my own interests into our together time, I like spending time with the kids and at home, and I can't stand institutions like public school with so many flaws. I think my kids benefit from it, and get a great childhood reading awesome books, but I get most of the benefit I think.

Help.

If you have any desire to homeschool long term, I think it's vital to give your kids the chance to develop long term relationships with other homeschoolers. We have been part of the same hs group for nearly all of my 2 younger kids' school years. It hasn't always been easy, but I really see the benefit for my kids. In fact, this year as my youngest has turned 11, I am seeing deeper and more meaningful friendships really take root. It's taken years of investment. I've seen people bounce from our hs group, sometimes for reasons that seem way more about the mom than the kids. I think in the long run those kids are getting short changed. The families who have been consistent and invested are reaping the benefits in these middle school years.

• Like 1

If you want to stick w/ a group for a year/be consistent, I think you just need to remind yourself that you are reaching a lot of your goals & that this one particular thing can be ok (doesn't have to be perfect) & still meet the need (which, in this case, is for your child instead of for you).

Great perspective! Thanks!

Honestly, this is why I first pursued gym for my DD. The team may be ginormous but her training group is small. I know all their names/families but couldn't pick any other parent/gymnast combo out of the crowd. The girls are together 4 days a week and texting almost as soon as they leave the gym. They are committed and there is a routine. Sleepovers can be one on one. I drop off. I pick up four hours later. I make baked goods and shop (alone) for small gifts to exchange/pass out. I make the occasional flyer, silently watch on the sidelines and/or flash scores at a meet. It's an introvert's dream.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Help.

I am very much the same as you. While there were lots of factors in our decision to leave public school and try homeschooling, when it comes right down to it, the deepest reason was that I wanted to try it. I wanted the challenge and I felt like no one could do better for my kids than me. And luckily, it has worked for us.

I have found myself in very similar situations with co-ops, etc. There is always some reason they don't "work" for me. Honestly, this is a big reason why I hated having kids in the public schools. I always say I was a terrible public school parent. Not sure if it's my INTJ-ness, or if I'm just a PITA, but I'm always looking for improvements, especially in organizational systems, and the way the schools did things drove me NUTS.

We have been lucky that we found a solid and consistent peer group for the whole family at our local Y. DH and I made great friends there, and so did our kids. Some of those respective adult and kid friends even belong to each other, so that's great! :) We spend a lot of time there, but because we're not having to go other places where I struggle to be involved socially, it makes it much easier for me. Maybe there is something like that for you out there as well.

• Like 2

Honestly, this is why I first pursued gym for my DD. The team may be ginormous but her training group is small. I know all their names/families but couldn't pick any other parent/gymnast combo out of the crowd. The girls are together 4 days a week and texting almost as soon as they leave the gym. They are committed and there is a routine. Sleepovers can be one on one. I drop off. I pick up four hours later. I make baked goods and shop (alone) for small gifts to exchange/pass out. I make the occasional flyer, silently watch on the sidelines and/or flash scores at a meet. It's an introvert's dream.

That's awesome.

I haven't been that lucky, but there are some activities they have been with for years.

I find PS kids have no time to get together though.  I think my younger kid thinks school would be a magical time with friends and playing all day (no joke). For years they didn't even have recess for the elementary schools here (that has recently changed).

That's awesome.

I haven't been that lucky, but there are some activities they have been with for years.

I find PS kids have no time to get together though.  I think my younger kid thinks school would be a magical time with friends and playing all day (no joke). For years they didn't even have recess for the elementary schools here (that has recently changed).

When I was a kid in PS, my mom got me hooked into Odyssey of the Mind. It provided the same sort of social outlet for me, and would be good for homeschoolers. It requires the same kind of dedication and commitment and the teams are limited in size. Maybe something like that?

Edited by Sneezyone

Preach! Small talk? Just kill me now.

Haha! 

Few weeks ago I was waiting for my kid at drama class.  Usually nobody waits, but that day there were a few people.  Two women were going on and on and on andddddddd ON about something.  I thought to myself oh gawd shoot me.  I'm not dissing the fact they were talking, but the stuff they were talking about was killing me.  One woman was talking about how she didn't want to tattoo her breasts because she didn't want her daughter seeing that and sending a bad message.  And on and on.  So they left finally.  There was one other woman left in the room.  She mumbled under her breath "oh my god did you ever hear anything more annoying".  I thought wow...maybe another one of my kind.  Maybe this woman could be a friend (three years from now when I decide to talk to her).  :lol:

• Like 8

When I was a kid in PS, my mom got me hooked into Odyssey of the Mind. It provided the same sort of social outlet for me, and would be good for homeschoolers. It requires the same kind of dedication and commitment and the teams are limited in size. Maybe something like that?

Tried that with homeschoolers and it really didn't go anywhere.

We aren't allowed to participate in any public school anything.

Haha!

Few weeks ago I was waiting for my kid at drama class. Usually nobody waits, but that day there were a few people. Two women were going on and on and on andddddddd ON about something. I thought to myself oh gawd shoot me. I'm not dissing the fact they were talking, but the stuff they were talking about was killing me. One woman was talking about how she didn't want to tattoo her breasts because she didn't want her daughter seeing that and sending a bad message. And on and on. So they left finally. There was one other woman left in the room. She mumbled under her breath "oh my god did you ever hear anything more annoying". I thought wow...maybe another one of my kind. Maybe this woman could be a friend (three years from now when I decide to talk to her). :lol:

I also hate it when I'm in a waiting room and someone comes in with their kid playing on a device with the sound up. When did this become socially acceptable? I was looking forward to sitting in this comfy chair, just me and my thoughts while my kids get their teeth cleaned and I hear beepety beep beep beep. I want to take that thing and throw it out the window!

• Like 7

I'm in a slightly weird position, having two kids 12 years apart, that I'm finishing and starting over at the same time. 

So, I started homeschooling because I have serious philosophical issues with the government running schools, or otherwise being involved in education, and I couldn't afford private school.  I continued homeschooling because I came to believe that I could provide a far superior education/formation than what would be possible in the public or private schools in my area.  Having mostly finished homeschooling (my older child will go to college in the fall), if I could do it over, what I would find ideal for our circumstances would be (if money were no issue): full time homeschooling until sometime in the late middle school - high school ages, then having the child go to a good, classical school full or part time, depending on what seemed best at the time. As an INTJ mom of a very E teen, I will also be pushing harder for sports - my oldest wasn't interested when young, but looking back I know I should have pushed him harder to find something, because we both suffered from his lack of *consistent* outlet for his E tendencies.  We tried different things a little here and there, but nothing worked well.  Co-ops were a total fail and with my younger, for sure, I will never let myself get sucked in again.  Co-ops are fail.  Homeschoolers (at least where I live) are apparently totally slack in getting stuff done.  But a sports program (I don't care what kind, just that it's not run by flaky homeschoolers), I think, will provide a consistent outlet.  I keep saying consistent because one of the things that frustrated my older son was that we would try out groups, co-ops, and homeschool  classes and none of them ever lasted.  It was both disappointing and an interruption to our lives, but we kept trying because....I dunno, stupid levels of optimism that "this time will be different"?  No co-ops.  Never again.

Oh, the one co-op that did "work" for us, was one that we signed up for with the agreement between the two of us that I didn't actually care if he learned anything, he was only going for socialization. He had to do a minimum amount of the work, just in case the teacher actually had their act together (because it wouldn't have been fair if she did her prep, but he didn't do the work).  Also, I didn't have to be involved AT ALL.  I didn't even drive him there.  He would leave with dh in the morning and get dropped off at another co-op family's home to catch a ride. That co-op accomplished it's goal of getting my son some E outlet time, and getting me some down time from him.  So that was great.  But you can see the standards for everything related to the co-op itself had to be dropped.

I've decided with my younger one that there will be no co-ops or parent-led classes.  We'll do a sport and maybe some community group stuff.  We'll absolutely take advantage of 1-off homeschool events (a local lady hosts a Shakespeare reading day locally where the kids pick a play and do a dramatic reading, 1x per year), but nothing on a regular basis.  We'll also happily join play days, park days, etc.  and just acknowledge that the goal is some social time for moms and kids and have no expectations of any kind.

• Like 2

I think a homeschool childhood would be ideal, what an awesome childhood. One can study all.day.long, from your own interests and in your own way! Yes, I agree, I should have liked to have been homeschooled.

INTJs are perfectionists. Certainly the public schools leave an INTJ feeling uneasy, unless of course it's perfect for your family.

I had an amazing mother who gave this INTJ the gift of homeschooling through 6th grade. It was amazing! Quiet. Plenty of time to study (and oh, did I study!). The chance to only socialize with people worth my time (yep, I'm an INTJ!! It sounds snobby, but I promise, I'm nice...I just don't like groups). I loved it. I went to school for junior and high, which was torture, but college turned out to be amazing because again there was time to study and really delve into topics. And very minimal group work. :-)

I homeschool because I have at least one if not two 2E kids. It was clear from age three that my oldest would have the chance to thrive at home but would struggle mightily in the classroom. I also valued my own homeschooling, so it was an easier decision (no blinders here...I knew it would be hard and rewarding).

We're part of a tiny co-op - three committed families, a few other occasional participants. All three mothers in the core families are introverts (INTJ, ISTJ, and INFJ). We're committed to each other, which prevents the flakiness (so far). I'd struggle with a large group. We recently joined cub scouts and I'm finding myself struggling with the disorganization, the noise, and the crazy. (My E son loves it!)

I wish I could have a vacation from homeschooling all by myself, two weeks in a cabin in the wilderness would work for me. And that vacation should happen every 6 weeks. That would work well for this introvert. Or I could just give my kids more electronics so they'll be quiet!! :-)

• Like 4

I wish I could have a vacation from homeschooling all by myself, two weeks in a cabin in the wilderness would work for me. And that vacation should happen every 6 weeks.

Oh man.  Reading that was like a near occasion of sin, cuz now I just wanna pack my car and go.

• Like 5

I would have LOVED homeschooling but it's not something either of my parents knew about or considered. They were very career-driven My DS has strong introvert tendencies though and thrives at home. He can sit with me in companionable silence, read on the iPad or watch cartoons. He was a challenging baby (needy, clingy, non-verbal) but is right up my alley as a homeschool student. I suspect this is why DH wants to break up our love-fest. DH won't let DS take me back to college. :lol: I absolutely agree that the consistency of certain activities, dance, sport, etc. is valuable though. I just haven't found a niche for DS yet and It's hard to push him when he grumbles so much. I'm listening for ideas. So far, Taekwondo (too solitary) and baseball (too much down time) were a bust.

I often think about taking a vacation alone.  I actually am not annoyed by my family.  Three of the four of us are major introverts.  The fourth is not a major extrovert.  And I can hide in my house.  But, I never REALLY get a vacation.  Even when we take a vacation, it's not really a vacation.  Holidays are not vacations.  It just means I have to cook and clean more.  When I take a break from homeschooling, yes that is nice, but I still have 100 other things to do.  And in fact I tend to use that time to deep clean or get to whatever other thing I don't have time for normally.

• Like 5

I would have LOVED homeschooling but it's not something either of my parents knew about or considered. They were very career-driven My DS has strong introvert tendencies though and thrives at home. He can sit with me in companionable silence, read on the iPad or watch cartoons. He was a challenging baby (needy, clingy, non-verbal) but is right up my alley as a homeschool student. I suspect this is why DH wants to break up our love-fest. DH won't let DS take me back to college. :lol: I absolutely agree that the consistency of certain activities, dance, sport, etc. is valuable though. I just haven't found a niche for DS yet and It's hard to push him when he grumbles so much. I'm listening for ideas. So far, Taekwondo (too solitary) and baseball (too much down time) were a bust.

Maybe your son doesn't need a consistent activity, though, if he's very I. 

Maybe your son doesn't need a consistent activity, though, if he's very I. 

Nah, I see the way he eyes DDs relationships and he wants a little of that, a birthday party w/guests for ex. I think he would be happiest with one or two close friends. He doesn't need a ton but it's hard to make that happen when we move a lot and he doesn't really want to join groups (were he might be able to find 'the one'). LOL. He's little tho and can't see that. He's a self-described 'nerd' of the verbal variety, not super math. It's tough.

Edited by Sneezyone

I'm more on the S side of things, but this description fits me.

I imagine I would be a really crappy PS parent.  The less I have to deal with other parents IRL, the better.

I have done a co-op with the girls that was more drop and go.  It was okay.  The girls did it more for fun than anything academic.

Now that my ODD is a competitive gymnast, she spends nearly 20 hours around other kids at the gym.  She also enjoys church youth group activities.  She is thankfully old and mature enough to be dropped off at just about everything.  It's best not to stay for practices anyway.  The other parents at the gym are really not pleasant, so we stay away.

YDD is a homebody who also has a low tolerance for other kids' shenanigans.  She dropped out of preschool at age 3, if that tells you anything. (She wanted "homeschool preschool."  Her attitude was very matter of fact, and we had nothing invested in making her stay there.)  She does choir with a brother/sister pair that are her BFFs, but otherwise she's happy to hang out at home and play with various things.

ETA:  I would have loved to have been homeschooled, but my mom sucks.  I had terrible attendance in 10th grade, but I spent forever at the library and walked home with huge piles of books.  Not until I read TWTM did I realize I'd been doing self-education.  So maybe I should have been an unschooler.  :D

Edited by Mommy22alyns
  • Like 1

I homeschool b ecause it is what is best for my kids and our family as a whole. I would be a terrible school parent, because I'd never want to go in an meet the teachers or activity directors!

I have done homeschool groups, and I'm actively involved in one now that I started attending ONLY for my kids. At first it was torturous. Now that we've been in it awhile, I've gotten to know 2-3 families REALLY well, and I have a smaller subgroup of friends for me who have kids my kids' ages which as an introvert, I prefer small groups of closer friends to a wider circle of acquaintances.

I do have to interact more than I naturally would because of my kids, but I do enjoy these people and they "get " me. I am tired after these interactions, but they help my family because then my three extroverts feel better and quit bugging me. :)

• Like 1

I am an INTJ. However, my E percentage is pretty high, so I can be with groups as long as I get my recovery time.

I have little tolerance for groups that are not purposeful or are poorly managed. I need to feel that the investments of time and mental & emotional energy are well spent. This includes groups for both myself and for my kids. We do not do play day/hang out/social only groups. Just seems pointless to me.

When serving I tend to make commitments for tasks/ways to help that I can fulfill on my own and then deliver. That keeps me out of a role that never ends, or off committees that spin their wheels.

We homeschool for many reasons, and those reasons are both the same and different for each of our kids. Our oldest began reading at 3, and was both intellectually and socially ready for academics very early. I suppose my (and his, truly!) low tolerance for non-purposeful activity drove us to choose homeschooling rather than have him in a preschool or K class that would bore him. We saw such great progress in homeschooling the first that it was just natural to fold in the others. My youngest is very E, whatever else she may be (haven't given her a MB assessment). She needs the company of others and that means we spend more time with groups. However, we are well into the drop-off years for various activities so I don't have to be as hands-on as I did when I had more and younger kids involved in groups. Frankly, the running around is still exhausting! She does take some academic classes out of the home and that is a real need for this particular child.

Edited by Seasider

I am INTJ, although almost a P. I home schooled because I have a low nonsense tolerance and public school is full of nonsense, lol. My youngest does now attend public school and I could make a post every week about some nonsense or other, and hers is a really good school!

I tried and tried home school groups, co ops, activities because I work evenings and I wanted to do things in the middle of the day. Most home school activities are full of flakes. Again, the no nonsense thing made these activities hard. By the end of my home schooling journey I wouldn't do another thing with a group of home schoolers for any reason. I am on time, pay what I need to pay, honor my commitments, help out, clean up and it is reasonable to expect that from others most of the time. These things seem to be an issue for a lot of home school parents.

My kids eventually found a place in the community through church and Scouts and theater groups. That met in the evening. So I lost money by taking time off work to take kids to these things. It was painful, but worth it.

INTJ is a rare personality type, but well represented on this forum. This personality type is introverted, intuitive, thinking, judging.

Take the test here:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I have done the test before and come out as very close on T/F, so INT/FJ. One time, I came out as T and one time as F, both with a 49/51 percentage. When I read the typology, though, INFJ is most similar to my personality.

I have great longevity for joining in. I have been in the same co-op for my entire hs journey, since my oldest child was Kindergarten.

• Like 1

I have great longevity for joining in. I have been in the same co-op for my entire hs journey, since my oldest child was Kindergarten.

Wow! If you ever get down about the quirks of being INFJ, you can be grateful for this. I can't imagine a group I could unite with like that. Maybe if there was a small group of deep thinking Orthodox homeschoolers who prefer classical but are not dogmatic and rigid about it and who are dedicated, hard working and creative, I could imagine the possibility.

Edited by JenniferB
  • Like 1