Menu

Craft idea solution needed.

Tap

I want to make one of these big enough for dd9s tablet. I don't want it to be too heavy, but it will need some weight to it so it stays stable.  What should I fill it with? Just using Rice, beans etc will make it a heavy projectile,so I need to think of something that will lighten it up.....but heavy enough to not scoot around a table.She doesn't sit still and bumps the table constantly.  Her old tablet stand would fall over when she was watching movies and cause problems for her.  I thought of adding foam pellets, like those from a bean bag, with the rice or sand, but then it will be lop sided as the weight shifts around when it is carried from room to room.

Any other ideas?

Any single substance that would be a mid weight filler?

Edited by Tap

I don't have any great ideas for a filler but I was wondering, are you wanting to make one because those are sold out?

Oh, I see now, that one is little for a phone.

My sisters both have these and love them.

AMC Multi Function Sofa Bed Travel Pillow / Stand for Ipad Tablet Ereader, Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBUJ59A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_DqfAwbMQA7D6D

Edited by kitten18
  • Like 1

Either sand or rice for the bottom section. Personally I would do rice because of leakage potential.

For the cone part I would do heavy duty fusible interfacing then stuff with polyfil. Another thought for stuffing would be old nylons/tights. That's what my grandmother used and her stuffed toys were firm. Her horses could be played with for years and still stand upright.

• Like 1

Are you familiar with Nancy Zieman? She has a pattern, and you can watch her sew this tablet holder online.

The show is called Sew Simple with rectangles and squares. Part 2 would be the episode you are looking for. She suggests rice first and the fiber fill, ( batting) after that.

• Like 1

I don't have any great ideas for a filler but I was wondering, are you wanting to make one because those are sold out?

Oh, I see now, that one is little for a phone.

My sisters both have these and love them.

AMC Multi Function Sofa Bed Travel Pillow / Stand for Ipad Tablet Ereader, Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBUJ59A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_DqfAwbMQA7D6D

Thanks for the link.  She has a kid tablet with a  chunky cover, so it doesn't fit in holders of that style.

Either sand or rice for the bottom section. Personally I would do rice because of leakage potential.

For the cone part I would do heavy duty fusible interfacing then stuff with polyfil. Another thought for stuffing would be old nylons/tights. That's what my grandmother used and her stuffed toys were firm. Her horses could be played with for years and still stand upright.

I don't have anything like nylons/tights around here, but it makes me wonder if I could secure a packet of fluff in the middle and then put the heavy filler around it.  HMMMMM....

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Are you familiar with Nancy Zieman? She has a pattern, and you can watch her sew this tablet holder online.

The show is called Sew Simple with rectangles and squares. Part 2 would be the episode you are looking for. She suggests rice first and the fiber fill, ( batting) after that.

I will have to check it out, I was just going to ab lib it but it would be nice to just cut and stitch instead!