Menu

Oak Meadow 5th Grade

It must be planning season, here's my annual off the wall, bad-idea-probably-won't work planning post:

I'm thinking about OM 5th grade for my younger dd.  Partly for my own sake, I am working much more than I have in the past, and I'll have a 9th grader to manage as well. Having somebody else lay everything out has its appeal.  I also think that in general, OM's style and content would appeal to dd9.

At the same time, I'm thinking to myself - what, are you crazy???  You've done 5th grade before, you already own all the pieces to put it together yourself. And this child has never followed your plans, why do you think she will suddenly be jazzed to follow someone else's?

So, I'm looking for reviews/thoughts of the OM 5th grade curriculum, if you've used it. Also, feel free to comment on whether you think I've lost my mind.  ;)  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy

I used it with my oldest a long time a go. I doubt their U.S History for 5th grade  has changed much. We enjoyed it. Oak Meadow is very creative.  There are many creative projects, so it is really good for students who like to do hands-on projects (not the cut an paste variety). There is a list of projects to allows the students to choose what they want to do.

I didn't care very much for their language arts approach so we supplemented quite a bit. The topics for the writing assignments were good but I didn't feel the "teaching how to do it" was sufficient (but English is not my native tongue).

Oak Meadow is not open and go. They give you a weekly list of things to do and you need to  break it into daily chunks.

Edited by paintmisha

My daughter used OM 5 last year and enjoyed it.  I think OM 5 lends itself well to independent use, for the most part, because the history readings are easily digestible and interesting, allowing a kid to grab the syllabus and start right in. The related assignments and activities are kid-friendly and engaging...and of course, creative.  That was good for my artistic/creative girl. The accompanying assigned literature was good for rounding out the events and providing a feel for the time period studied.  I thought the vocabulary was good.  The grammar/writing instruction assigned seemed a bit light for my tastes.  I felt that the grammar could have been more advanced or more concepts certainly could have been covered, and felt the writing instruction was very minimal. Plenty of writing was assigned, more than I thought was doable without overwhelming a kid actually, but there just wasn't much to reference as far as how to produce quality writing within the given assignments.  We've moved on to OM 6 since then and have added in Hake grammar to add more instruction.

Overall, I think OM is a great base for moving through each day and it is easy to pull in other stuff to make it your own.  And although the lessons are set up by a weekly schedule and not a daily one, I found that it was easy to get into a good flow or routine because the weekly set up was so repetitive/predictable.  In other words, my daughter easily worked through the weekly lessons accomplishing sections in a way that suited her best.  I know OM has recently revised their elementary and middle school guides (I think they've completed all the way through middle school) and they have updated some of the content and have fiddled with the format, now offering some type of planning guide or sheets within the syllabi.  I have the older version and am happy with the format.

• Like 2

Hopefully, others will share about the TM.  *I* liked having the TM because it offered some (not a lot) of background info on the history, provided definitions for the vocab, gave a very basic breakdown of what is expected for the assignments each week, and provided some basic examples for some of the grammar concepts. The TM was helpful for me as far as keeping up with what my daughter was covering each week.

From other conversations about OM I've learned that most folks don't bother with the TM and just don't think it's all that helpful or necessary.  I can see why they would say that.  Overall, it is pretty sparse and is overpriced, in my opinion, for what you get.  In fact, I think OM is overpriced in general, but it is the one program that is well received over here and it is the one that gets done. : )

• Like 1

So, Rose and Chelli, talk to me about why you're interested in OM.  I have looked at it on and off and feel drawn to it for some reason....  partly because of all of the "simplifying home school" conversations we've had here.  Then I come here to see what else I can find out about it, and lo and behold, you 2 are considering it as well. :)

I can't find many reviews for the upper levels.  I know the basic premise and philosophy, but would love to hear it compared to something I'm more familiar with.  

Rose, I printed out "A Walk in the Park" essay you linked awhile ago, put it in my notebook, and have read it over and over. It describes exactly what I want our home school to be, but I'm often tired of piecing it all together to make it that way.  Why do I feel like OM might accomplish what I'm looking for? or at least get close?

I want solid academics.  I want efficiency and lack of busywork.  I want time for dc to pursue other interests.  I want something that gets done and doesn't kill the love for learning.  I want fewer parts and pieces.  

• Like 2

I've been considering OM for my oldest daughter since last year, I've been thinking about trying it for 4th grade since that is the first year it is wrote to the student. My oldest daughter is little Ms. Independent and loves projects. Looking at the samples it looks like it would be such a great fit for her.

Edited by soror

I've been considering OM for my oldest daughter since last year, I've been thinking about trying it for 4th grade since that is the first year it is wrote to the student. My oldest daughter is little Ms. Independent and loves projects. Looking at the samples it looks like it would be such a great fit for her.

same! for my son. I am wondering...does anyone know where you can find out what the student needs to know going into each grade? Are there placement tests or suggestions anywhere? I guess you could go by math but I don't think I'd use their math if we went that route.

ETA from the FAQ:

Oak Meadow believes parents are in the best position to determine what grade level to choose for their child. Instead of requiring placement tests, we encourage parents to study our grade overviews and sample lessons to make an informed judgment based on their knowledge of their child. Because we know that many students work at different grade levels in different subjects, Oak meadow curriculum is designed to be easy to modify and adapt so you can customize your child’s education to serve his or her particular strengths, challenges, and individual needs.

Edited by OKBud

So, Rose and Chelli, talk to me about why you're interested in OM.  I have looked at it on and off and feel drawn to it for some reason....  partly because of all of the "simplifying home school" conversations we've had here.  Then I come here to see what else I can find out about it, and lo and behold, you 2 are considering it as well. :)

I can't find many reviews for the upper levels.  I know the basic premise and philosophy, but would love to hear it compared to something I'm more familiar with.  

Rose, I printed out "A Walk in the Park" essay you linked awhile ago, put it in my notebook, and have read it over and over. It describes exactly what I want our home school to be, but I'm often tired of piecing it all together to make it that way.  Why do I feel like OM might accomplish what I'm looking for? or at least get close?

I want solid academics.  I want efficiency and lack of busywork.  I want time for dc to pursue other interests.  I want something that gets done and doesn't kill the love for learning.  I want fewer parts and pieces.  

Ah, yes, the important question!  Your bolded sentence describes what I want, too.  I also am grappling with a couple of other issues: an increasingly busy work schedule, which means I don't have as much time to plan, organize, and create the perfect curriculum, for two kids, one of whom will be a high schooler and for whom, let's face it, it matters more - because it counts. My second dd and I also don't mesh quite as well in learning/teaching style. I don't mean that she's stubborn or uncooperative, or that I can't meet her needs, but it's just more of a style mismatch - she loves art, and to do hands-on projects. I don't - shuddering. She doesn't love to read. She reads fine, and she adores and devours certain books,  but it's not her go-to activity, and she's actually quite picky about the books she likes to read.  She loves nature, animals, projects, being outdoors, a much more holistic way of living and learning, and I see OM as fitting that personality type & style.  I am crappy at coming up with projects, or following through with projects even if I have bought a kit or something.

She also doesn't find the same things cool that I do, and that her big sister did at that age.  Shannon and I enjoyed the LOF elementary books, Morgan couldn't care less about them.  Shannon and I loved MCT Language arts, Morgan is unmoved by it. We like the CAP W&R books, Morgan doesn't like them. So I'm kind of reinventing the wheel with her anyway - so I wonder why not use a wheel somebody else has already invented?

Things we're doing this year that she likes includes the Sassafras science Zoology books - we get animal books from the library, she's writing animal reports, she likes the logbook and the story.  I got her the Little Passport world geography kits, and each month we get books from the country, listen to  music, cook food, look at art.  She loves that stuff.  I'm hoping OM will be more like that kind of thing, will be more integrated & connected to the wider world. 

And, fundamentally, less work for me. I guess at this point I'm starting to embrace a less is more attitude with this child - fewer things, done well and with more attention, rather than trying to do everything just because I have it or it seems cool or it caught my eye or someone says it's a must.  I just want things simpler, more focused, and more integrated.

Also, it's 5th grade  Logic Stage, yikes!  This child seems a lot younger than her sister did at this age. I worry that I'm slacking with her, taking the easy road, and maybe I need a little outside accountability? I don't want to compare her to her sister, but maybe I do need some kind of objective, outside standard to hold us both to? Does that make any sense?

So, I don't know. I'm far from committed to OM, but I'm definitely flirting.

• Like 2

My reasons are 1) I need my dd to be more independent and 2) she would thrive with all the creative and artsy projects that OM includes.

However, I'm not using their complete grade package. I'm mainly looking at science and history and literature. Hopefully without needing the teacher's manual since looking at the samples it seemed I wouldn't need it.

The one thing holding me back is cost.  :svengo:  Since I don't think my other two kids behind her would enjoy it as much as she would, it would be a "buy, use, and sell" purchase.

• Like 3

Ah, yes, the important question!  Your bolded sentence describes what I want, too.  I also am grappling with a couple of other issues: an increasingly busy work schedule, which means I don't have as much time to plan, organize, and create the perfect curriculum, for two kids, one of whom will be a high schooler and for whom, let's face it, it matters more - because it counts. My second dd and I also don't mesh quite as well in learning/teaching style. I don't mean that she's stubborn or uncooperative, or that I can't meet her needs, but it's just more of a style mismatch - she loves art, and to do hands-on projects. I don't - shuddering. She doesn't love to read. She reads fine, and she adores and devours certain books,  but it's not her go-to activity, and she's actually quite picky about the books she likes to read.  She loves nature, animals, projects, being outdoors, a much more holistic way of living and learning, and I see OM as fitting that personality type & style.  I am crappy at coming up with projects, or following through with projects even if I have bought a kit or something.

She also doesn't find the same things cool that I do, and that her big sister did at that age.  Shannon and I enjoyed the LOF elementary books, Morgan couldn't care less about them.  Shannon and I loved MCT Language arts, Morgan is unmoved by it. We like the CAP W&R books, Morgan doesn't like them. So I'm kind of reinventing the wheel with her anyway - so I wonder why not use a wheel somebody else has already invented?

Things we're doing this year that she likes includes the Sassafras science Zoology books - we get animal books from the library, she's writing animal reports, she likes the logbook and the story.  I got her the Little Passport world geography kits, and each month we get books from the country, listen to  music, cook food, look at art.  She loves that stuff.  I'm hoping OM will be more like that kind of thing, will be more integrated & connected to the wider world. 

And, fundamentally, less work for me. I guess at this point I'm starting to embrace a less is more attitude with this child - fewer things, done well and with more attention, rather than trying to do everything just because I have it or it seems cool or it caught my eye or someone says it's a must.  I just want things simpler, more focused, and more integrated.

Also, it's 5th grade  Logic Stage, yikes!  This child seems a lot younger than her sister did at this age. I worry that I'm slacking with her, taking the easy road, and maybe I need a little outside accountability? I don't want to compare her to her sister, but maybe I do need some kind of objective, outside standard to hold us both to? Does that make any sense?

So, I don't know. I'm far from committed to OM, but I'm definitely flirting.

The bolded perfectly describes my oldest (the one I'm considering using Oak Meadow for) and me when it comes to her idea of learning and mine. Although my dd does like LOF, MCT, and CAP W&R because they are story based and creative enough for her. 

Dd8 is like me. She wants just the facts when it comes to school and then devours books for spare time. 

• Like 1

I have an artsy 10yo that might like this.  She would love the art and projects part.  My question though is that she also does better when I present various resources that meet my standards and then she chooses.  A list of assignments like read x story, perform x step in the writing process etc does not go over well.  Instead math, reading and writing must be done every day along with our group history, science and Spanish.  For writing she chooses a writing prompt from a basket of different ideas I found.  If I assign one to her she hates it.  She chooses what she reads from an approved list.  We have a basic overview for history and science and then she chooses what to delve further into.  For math I did make her choose as I am not up for reinventing that wheel and I feel the progression is more important than in other areas.  Our charter school would pay for this next year so I may print out the samples for her.  I feel adrift without a plan.

Edited by linguistmama
  • Like 2

I do the giving choices thing a lot, too - my strategy for the last year has been to have multiple options for math, writing, etc., all of which I'm basically fine with - they'll meet my standards - and then let her choose.  The act of choosing makes a thing acceptable which would be unacceptable if I chose it for her.  So she has two math options - she gets to choose which.  She has several writing options - she gets to choose which any given day.  That works well.  OTOH, she has also responded ok to a very no-nonsense (short) workbooky approach to spelling and grammar. I know it's not fun, but it 's short and relatively painless, but just git 'er done.  

Honestly? I feel like part of the problem is that we can get through my must-dos: 2-3 pages of math, writing, spelling & grammar in a really short period of time.  Then we read aloud/discuss/maybe do an activity for history and science, and then really? we're done.  And it's been 2-3 hours.  Which felt fine for 2nd and 3rd grade, but is feeling a little weird this year, and definitely feels not ok for 5th grade.  So maybe that is part of my issue - the looking for outside accountability and something to compare to.  Does anyone else feel like you get through must-dos in a ridiculously short period of time?  Don't get me wrong, we might spend 2-3 hours on reading and talking about things, and she has her art teacher come in once a week, and she has theater 3 times a week, and horseback riding and girl scouts - her world seems very full, but it doesn't seem full of us sitting down at the table "doing work" - and I don't know whether that is ok.  She's bright, articulate, literate, and happy  But am I missing something????  

Ouch, who knew this was going to turn into a group therapy thread? I guess these things happen.  :)

• Like 5

This is why I am planning to use Oak Meadow 7 for my younger son next year.  He is a competitive athlete and there are only so many hours in a day. I need to streamline things a bit.  We are using Bookshark Eastern Hemisphere this year, and while I do like that very much, I have omitted some of the reading to make it more manageable time-wise. 

• Like 1

Yep, that is my daughter. I've really worked on upping my game this year, getting out of my comfort zone adding in lots of arts, crafts and projects- which somewhat makes me think I could continue to pull this off but then I think realistically I get tired and worn out from it all. My concern is that she is going to balk at the increase in work because it would certainly be an increase and I would let it slide and then I'd have a very expensive plan that just sits there making me feel guilty that we aren't actually doing it.

Honestly? I feel like part of the problem is that we can get through my must-dos: 2-3 pages of math, writing, spelling & grammar in a really short period of time.  Then we read aloud/discuss/maybe do an activity for history and science, and then really? we're done.  And it's been 2-3 hours.  Which felt fine for 2nd and 3rd grade, but is feeling a little weird this year, and definitely feels not ok for 5th grade. 

My daughter is a really fast worker as well. I've struggled a bit for my son as well, he is not a fast worker but we don't spend as much time as others however when I think about it if we are hitting what I see as necessary it is silly to add on more work just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary time guidelines. So, the big question (for me) is are we really hitting everything necessary?

• Like 2

True to form I showed dd1 the lessons and she oohed and aahed over the projects. Then she complained about "all the reading" in the lesson plan book- I explained that it was for a whole week and then she was like what about my Horizons Math(which she quite enjoys), which I tell her would of course be added onto this and it hits her that this would be more work then she is currently doing(I think she doesn't see our nature studies and cultural work as work so much as we do it together), which of course she is not happy about that idea- of course no matter what we do the workload is increasing. I think it also seems like a lot more because it does lay it out for the week when I'm accustomed to reading daily lesson plans.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I spent a lot of time thinking about using OM with my 2 oldest next year. DD will be in 8th - I thought the Civics looked great. I liked what they covered, I liked the choice of assignments, and I think my dd would really appreciate the real life application and creative choices it offered. Science looked good, not great, but I think she would like it. I liked the lit choices, even though the pacing would be too slow for her. DS would be in 5th and its the same deal. Overall, it looks great even though there may be a couple areas I need to tweak. Anyway, I like a lot of things about OM. Even though I have decided against it (I think), I'll be listening in to see what you guys decide...

Honestly? I feel like part of the problem is that we can get through my must-dos: 2-3 pages of math, writing, spelling & grammar in a really short period of time.  Then we read aloud/discuss/maybe do an activity for history and science, and then really? we're done.  And it's been 2-3 hours.  Which felt fine for 2nd and 3rd grade, but is feeling a little weird this year, and definitely feels not ok for 5th grade.  So maybe that is part of my issue - the looking for outside accountability and something to compare to.  Does anyone else feel like you get through must-dos in a ridiculously short period of time?  Don't get me wrong, we might spend 2-3 hours on reading and talking about things, and she has her art teacher come in once a week, and she has theater 3 times a week, and horseback riding and girl scouts - her world seems very full, but it doesn't seem full of us sitting down at the table "doing work" - and I don't know whether that is ok.  She's bright, articulate, literate, and happy  But am I missing something????  

Ouch, who knew this was going to turn into a group therapy thread? I guess these things happen.  :)

I am in the same boat with my 2 oldest. They are git 'er done type kids. I have really struggled with the hours thing. My 7th grader spends about 4 hours per day and my 4th grader spends 2-2.5 hours on school. I feel like that is not enough, but when I look at what they are accomplishing, I feel like it would be cruel and unusual punishment to add anything... I am very happy with where my oldest is and while my younger does not work at the same level as his (stereotypical oldest child over-achiever) sister, he is doing very well too. Plus they use their free time very constructively. I never know how to handle this issue.

• Like 1

Son 17 used it. He did the entire level, all the assignments in one month. Back it went. There really isn't enough there to last or be full. You have to add a lot to it to flesh it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that is my daughter. I've really worked on upping my game this year, getting out of my comfort zone adding in lots of arts, crafts and projects- which somewhat makes me think I could continue to pull this off but then I think realistically I get tired and worn out from it all. My concern is that she is going to balk at the increase in work because it would certainly be an increase and I would let it slide and then I'd have a very expensive plan that just sits there making me feel guilty that we aren't actually doing it.

My daughter is a really fast worker as well. I've struggled a bit for my son as well, he is not a fast worker but we don't spend as much time as others however when I think about it if we are hitting what I see as necessary it is silly to add on more work just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary time guidelines. So, the big question (for me) is are we really hitting everything necessary?

Bingo.  That's what I'm trying to figure out, too.

Son 17 used it. He did the entire level, all the assignments in one month. Back it went. There really isn't enough there to last or be full. You have to add a lot to it to flesh it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.  Good to know.  That would be a very expensive month's worth of work!

I do the giving choices thing a lot, too - my strategy for the last year has been to have multiple options for math, writing, etc., all of which I'm basically fine with - they'll meet my standards - and then let her choose.  The act of choosing makes a thing acceptable which would be unacceptable if I chose it for her.  So she has two math options - she gets to choose which.  She has several writing options - she gets to choose which any given day.  That works well.  OTOH, she has also responded ok to a very no-nonsense (short) workbooky approach to spelling and grammar. I know it's not fun, but it 's short and relatively painless, but just git 'er done.  

This.so.much!  I have had to adjust my expectations since her birth.  As I constantly rethink my ideas of school vs what will really serve her I try to remember how much different things are now than in the early years.  So many things that I was worried about have been completely resolved.  She doesn't have any LD's but she has her own time table for some things.  I used to worry about her reading because she didn't read constantly like I did at that age.  Well, she reads solidly on grade level and isn't that into it.  It is ok that she doesn't read multiple grade levels ahead like I did.  If I push it too much she will hate reading.  We can take advantage of audiobooks to get more lit in.  I read several Waldorf books last summer and while some of it was really strange I did notice how much the timing of different transitions like the 9 year one fit dd spot on.  I think she would have loved that type of schooling in the younger years, but I hate having to direct the crafts and projects.  The older OM levels that she could do a lot of herself seem doable and they don't have the anthroposophy.

• Like 1

Well, thanks to you, after a year plus of thinking I would move dd1 onto OM in 4th I've finally decided that I will not. I think I like the ideas of some of the projects but in the end it would be too much and although my daughter likes independence I don't think she is ready for that level of independence. We've been working on combining some content work this year and I'd prefer to keep it that way and let her keep the days nice and short.

• Like 2

As far as my desires I listed above, is it possible that OM would be a good middle school "spine" of sorts to add in TWTM or CM type methods.  I'm fine in many ways carrying out a WTM education on my own, but like I mentioned earlier, I sometimes get weary of piecing it all together.  I wonder if OM would give just enough framework for me to continue doing what we're doing, but with a little more structure and less keeping it all in my own head.

• Like 1

So today was a perfect example.  She was well-rested, had eaten a good breakfast, and was in a good attitude.  We did 3 pages of MM, a WWE lesson, a spelling list, a grammar lesson, I read aloud a SOTW chapter and we talked about it, I read half a Sassafras science chapter and she filled out a Logbook sheet, and she read aloud a science book on Desert animals to me.  And she did a long copywork sentence.  All that in two hours.  And it feel like plenty! She'll do a Dreambox lesson and a typing lesson after lunch, then she has a Girl Scout meeting this afternoon.  

So we hit all the basics  - math, language arts, writing, history and science - and she feels done and ready to play now.  This feels like enough work for today.  I can't see adding more stuff just for the sake of adding more time to the day, to try to hit some magic number that tells me we're doing enough.

On the Oak Meadow thing, I'm thinking I probably don't need the history/english one, I have MCT Town, BW Partnership Writing, and a SOTW correlated history/lit spreadsheet I made when Shannon was in 5th grade.  But I am still thinking about OM 5th grade science . . . . 

• Like 1

After looking at the samples by myself and with dd I think we may try parts of grade 6 next year.  I like that our charter will pay for it and it has a good return policy if it doesn't work out.  The writing assignments in the sample have students writing reports on topics of their choice or choosing a writing assignment from various options depending on the week.  I'm hoping the choice will be helpful here.  I think dd will like the optional activity and game ideas.  We will probably do something else for science as that is not a problem right now and the science isn't tied in to the English like the History is.  Thanks for posting this thread as it got me to research something that may be valuable for us!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I was just reading Farar's Box thread, and it got me thinking about Oak Meadow again, and I did a search, and lo and behold, I found my own thread from 5 months ago!! I'm such a dork.  But a consistent dork: I still pretty much feel the same way I did then.  Which makes me think that maybe I should really go for it???  OM 5th grade for next year is what I'm talking about.

Although when I look at the math, it looks like we covered it all this year in MM4.  Does anybody know how OM's math stacks up to MM or other math programs?

So, what are the rest of you thinking? Did any of you decide to use OM?

• Like 3

We are still rolling along with OM, though we didn't fully complete OM 6 history/English this year since we enrolled in a charter school and I got all messed up with some of the charter's offerings and became focused a bit on testing since we're obligated there.  Actually, it all worked out fine and we are still using some OM this year. 

I plan to move on to OM 7 next fall as well as OM 4.

As far as OM math, it is about a year behind the typical math sequence as far as topics presented.  It is also very basic in its explanation and presentation, which has been super for my not-so-mathy girl.  Having the simplified instruction has helped her to understand the basic operations and has allowed her to sort of marinate in the basics.  My daughter used OM math 6 and then onto Saxon Math 7/6 and she prefers the simplicity of OM math over Saxon.  Saxon seems to throw a lot at her.  We'll likely continue forward with a combo of OM and Saxon math. Anyway, as far as comparing to MM, I would say that MM offers much more mental math...though I have VERY limited experience with MM.  I just remember MM being more like puzzle-math and OM much more  traditional/simplified.

• Like 1

And I'll share that what I appreciate about OM is that the different subject areas are well-balanced, meaning that it isn't too history heavy, too English heavy, too science heavy, etc....it does a great job of balancing all subjects so the day is manageable and not too taxing for the child. If a certain subject area appeals to the child then you go deeper on your own. And because the subject areas are sort of short and sweet, there is plenty of time for the child to pursue interests outside of schoolwork.  My older daughter, in particular, loves to draw and animate.  My younger daughter loves to bake/cook, garden, and read about science topics.  Having a doable school day allows them plenty of time for these interests.

I also appreciate that creativity/individuality is the central focus of the curriculum, it respects the needs of the child and allows them to interact with the material in a way that suits them individually.  They offer a variety of assignments...hands-on, written research, physical play/show, video presentation, drawing, oral recitation, and on and on.  I love the flexibility that it offers.  It is a good roadmap to keep me on track, but I don't feel completely tied to it.

• Like 2

I actually bought the whole, new Oak Meadow 5 set for next year for my son...but decided not to go a different route with him. You know, what we have been using has been really working for him, so I've decided to not waver from what works for us.

So, it's for sale if anyone needs the set, lol.

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 2

I actually bought the whole, new Oak Meadow 5 set for next year for my son...but decided not to go a different route with him. You know, what we have been using has been really working for him, so I've decided to not waver from what works for us.

So, it's for sale if anyone needs the set, lol.

I will message you! I might be interested .

I looked at grade 6 math and it was about a year behind compared to something like Math Mammoth.  I am waiting for the May sale to buy History/English 6.  I would be fine just buying the English, but it looks like English and History are very intertwined.  I'm hoping it will be a more gentle and creative way to get dd to do assigned reading and writing.  She says she likes the idea of having a choice of options for the writing assignments so I am crossing my fingers!  She is a Waldorfy/unschooly child, but I am a planner and box checker.  I'm hoping this will be a good compromise for both of us.