Menu

ASL for middle school?

Aurelia

I'm thinking of foreign languages to do next year, and was considering ASL, but I don't know any kind of curriculum to use with an 11-12 year old. Signing Time looks like it's geared for much younger children, and most of the other things I've found are just books, which seems odd, given the dynamic visual nature of ASL. So I was wondering what would you recommend for a middle schooler just starting ASL (aside from some baby signs as a toddler)? I'd prefer something with a video component, but am not opposed to using books if they are well done. 

I'm still in research mode, but I'd like to get some ideas, to even know if something like this is feasible, or if I should just get some vocabulary things and let her take a "real" class at the community college when she gets to high school.

The 14 episodes of Signing Time that are on Netflix feature the girl and boy when they are closer to 7 and 9 than when they were like 3 and 5 or whatever. They teach some phrases and not just random vocabulary words. the ST dvds are popular at a lot of libraries.

ST is not the most infantile childrens program out there, I suggest you have your student begin watching the ST videos now, see if your student can take it. If she can, then use ST. Its reported to be effective for a lot of people.

I am doing 31 Days of ASL (there's a website with printables...videos are on youtube) with my 4th grader. The author, Rochelle Barlow, also has a for-purchase ecourse that's supposed to be able to be done independently. (I don't think 31 Days could be, at least not for my DD).

• Like 1

Thanks for suggesting this, it looks great!  I love love love that it has captions.  :D  Most YouTube videos use automatic captioning and are OFTEN incorrect. 

We have been using this ASL channel with good results. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8WIr61r1Do

I have  9, 11, and 13 year olds and Signing Time wouldn't work in our house.   It is definitely geared toward younger kids.  Plus the music and background sounds are really distracting.

I am doing 31 Days of ASL (there's a website with printables...videos are on youtube) with my 4th grader. The author, Rochelle Barlow, also has a for-purchase ecourse that's supposed to be able to be done independently. (I don't think 31 Days could be, at least not for my DD).