Menu

Favorite Christmas Goodie

anmom

We have over 30 people that we try to make a small package of goodies for every year at Christmas. I am trying to make my list of items now and wondered what your favorite Christmas treat would be? It can not be messy so it can be packaged and gifted. So far I have the Oreo truffles and crockpot peanut clusters. What else? Id like at least one more. 

And just for fun...does anyone NOT like receiving homemade treats as a gift? If someone wanted to give you a small gift but had a limited budget, what would you rather receive? (we are talking teachers, coworkers, neighbors, etc-along those lines) 

I don't generally care for treats like that personally. There are already so many treats this time of year and I have no willpower! I also have a food allergy kid and would prefer to keep some things out of the house. Of course I'd be appreciative if I got them. But I'd most enjoy a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts gift card, even just $5 cause I can save those and use them when I really truly want a treat.

• Like 1

I second peanut blossoms and crack.

As a teacher my favorite food gift was homemade salsa and a bag of chips and the gifts that were the biggest treats were gift cards to bookstores with coffee shops.

Eta: $5 cards add up and are enough for a coffee and an excuse to browse.

Edited by happi duck

Spiced nuts...pecans, almonds, whatever.

The saltine toffee (not sure what it's called)... you can make it with saltine or graham crackers...and then you make a mixture of brown sugar, butter, and I'm not sure what, and pour it over.  There may be nuts and chocolate on top...maybe not.  It's all good.

I also really like normal cut-out sugar cookies that are decorated.  My favorite are reindeer ones with a cinnamon candy for the nose. :)

Oh....and seven layer bars.

(Anything too good and too rich that I shouldn't make an entire batch to have lying around the house. :))

Edited by umsami

Christmas Crack or Saltine toffee is one of my favorites. I also like chocolate covered cherries and the peanut butter buckeye pretzel bites.

Christmas Crack, aka the reason I gain weight before Christmas.

Previously, we have given sugared nuts and/or hot cocoa mix.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

I like the idea of the toffee. Thanks y'all!

As far as the gift cards, one of the reasons I don't do that is because 30 people would be $150! I can make something for a lot less. Plus I just don't feel like it is as personal. I guess I could always make something nonfood related.

I don't mind goodies, but I do not like fudge and that is a popular item for people to give around Christmas I think. We also had someone give us popcorn balls at Halloween once and they looked like they would destroy my teeth so I tossed them. I like the mini loaves of bread (pumpkin bread, etc.). Dh makes yummy snicker doodles which we have passed along before. I do not know if those are too messy.

Please tell me you have made the chocolate ones without them melting. I have made the chocolate variety and they always start melting onto fingers when I pull them out of the fridge. I know there are different kinds of chocolate you can try, but I just don't know if anyone has had any success so I can learn. I had a teacher in elementary school that made the butterscotch variety and they were very yummy.

Hmmm. I don't remember them melting. I just remember them being good. I'm sure I used either Nestle Toll House chips or Ghiradelli (spelling?) chips.

I love getting goodie trays for Christmas! I love to make what others refer to as kiss cookies or peanut blossoms. We call them Shove-A-Kiss cookies.

I love what everyone has already suggested, but one of my favorites is plain old shortbread. I also like ginger snaps and mini loaves of quick bread.

Really, I just like Christmas treats. ;)

We have over 30 people that we try to make a small package of goodies for every year at Christmas. I am trying to make my list of items now and wondered what your favorite Christmas treat would be? It can not be messy so it can be packaged and gifted. So far I have the Oreo truffles and crockpot peanut clusters. What else? Id like at least one more. 

And just for fun...does anyone NOT like receiving homemade treats as a gift? If someone wanted to give you a small gift but had a limited budget, what would you rather receive? (we are talking teachers, coworkers, neighbors, etc-along those lines) 

I love homemade treats, mostly because they go away eventually (no clutter left behind).

I really hate those food kits they sell at stores (like oreo cups with oreo cookies, or 5 weird version of hot sauce).

"Fancy" cooks are nice (like a ginger cookie with lemon filling, or pepper nut cookies...cookies that you can't buy or there aren't good versions of).

I think I gained 5 pounds just reading this thread. 

I totally like getting those cookie (or other sweet) mixes in a jar.  Then me and the kids can whip it out in February when we NEED a cookie, long after the gluttony of December has passed.  I don't have a favorite, but I am sure Pinterest has enough ideas to keep you browsing for the next 48 hours or so.  :D

I like to give homemade treats as gifts as well.  Some favorites not mentioned yet:  homemade granola, homemade taco seasoning mix, homemade beef jerky, and spiced apple butter.  All easy to make in large quantities and relatively cheap.  Well, maybe not the beef jerky--I think I did make that only for a few select friends. ;-)

I do not like receiving treats as gifts. Honestly, I just end up throwing them away and then feeling very guilty. I totally don't understand the idea of token gifts, though. It just feels like so much excess to me.

Clearly I'm in the minority, but you asked. :)