Menu

favorite kinder math AND fav review math program?

sunshineslp

I use RS now but I am entertaining switching.  I like it but its pretty time intensive for me.  What is your fav math for kinder?  is Singapore Essentials as good as RS? 

Also, for review, i've heard of people using Simple Solutions, Math Minute, and then others using Saxon/Horizons, etc to hit review topics in addition to their math spine.  What is your favorite?

I agree, 100%.  that wasn't what I meant, per se.  I need something that she can do a little on her own.  She likes workbooks and so that part of RS doesn't fit her personality.  For her, something more independent (after the initial teaching of the lesson and practice problems) would suit her better than my boys who did RS and did NOT want worksheets at all. 

My Ker loves Mathematical Reasoning by the Critical Thinking Company

We also do 2 plus 2 does not equal 5 and it is mostly independent once the fact is taught, she loves doing a sheet of problems as quick as possible and watching me mark them. 

My favorite math for K is RS, but after that, MEP. For review, DD really likes Math Rider. It just covers the 4 operations, though. 

If you want something workbook-heavy with tons of review built in, try CLE. You could plan to do the first grade level slowly, over K and first grade. Alternatively, you could do 2 days of RS and 2 days of CLE until you finish RS A, then switch to CLE full time, if it's something she likes and it works. 

I made a list of a few basic math concepts I wanted mine to know by the end of Gr.1 or so, drawn from a few resources. These included basic addition, subtraction, measuring, time to the hour, writing numbers, counting to 100, etc. I introduced them here and there, often using MUS blocks in play, which I bought without buying the rest of the program. We talked about math when it came up. We'd talk about sharing how many things with how many people, we'd play UNO, etc. It was part of life. We didn't "do math" even near every day.

My oldest had no problem jumping into MM2. My 2nd is doing pieces of MM1, only because she strongly feels that she should be doing worksheets like her sister - I've edited it down to the very basics and she does one page a day, or less.

My mom, who homeschooled 5 kids, had success with waiting until Gr.3 for an official math program and I can see why... the early topics loop around again and again without a lot of new info in early grades.

All that to say... math doesn't HAVE to be time consuming and official in K, or even in Gr.1. It can be part of baking and talking and playing, etc, and most kids can move into 1 or 2 or even 3 work without much issue. Just a thought.

I was going to suggest RS! I love the foundation it gave my kids. It wasn't the best fit for one of mine or for me as a teacher, but I would still give him that foundation again if I had a do over.

It's developmentally appropriate.

I think it's superior to Singapore, and especially at that age. But Singapore is a good program if you think it's a better fit. If I really wanted to switch, I think I'd look at Miquon instead for her age. 

• Like 1

I'm on my 5th Ker. I've done:

- plan-my-own/mostly play-based

- Horizons K / Singapore Essentials (worksheet lover)

- Miquon

- McRuffy

DD#3 did really well with Miquon and it set her up well for 1st grade math. DS#1 loved McRuffy and made 1st grade math a breeze at the beginning.

I loved McRuffy enough that that's what I'm doing with ds#2. I've been known to throw in Miquon activities & make a Miquon-like sheet at any time & with any kid, so that is my second favorite.

However, I think you might just want to pick up a cheap-o K (or 1st) math workbook and let her do a little of that when you are done with your RS lesson if she wants.

I am so confused by MEP.  i have looked at it and I don't know where to start... do you do it online  or print pages off?  do i need to print off a teachers manual?  for some reason the layout of the page really confuses me, any advice?

I use other maths programs, so I don't bother with the MEP lesson plans, only the worksheets. With CSMP, I read the lesson plans off the laptop screen and print the worksheets.

CSMP is my favourite Kinder maths. It isn't independent, but the lessons are short and sweet. If I wanted independent I'd probably toss some Kumon books in.

Edited by Rosie_0801
  • Like 1

thank you:)  what is CSMP?  is there a link you could share?  and I have heard of Kumon books... i need to look more into those...

http://stern.buffalostate.edu/CSMPProgram/Primary%20Disk/Start.html

I don't think the Kumon books are anything special, but I've only used the telling time books for maths. They're easy to buy and administer, and kids who like workbooks like them.