Menu

Suggestions for a temporary spelling curriculum?

sweetpea3829

Good evening folks!

My youngest boys will be completing AAS1 approx 9 weeks prior to the completion of our formal school year.  I don't plan on starting them on AAS2 until our next formal school year begins, in September.  

That's an awful long stretch of time between books, and I suppose I could just launch right into AAS2, but I'd really rather give the youngest time to grow more as a reader before we start AAS2.  

Can anybody suggest a good 1st grade "spelling bridge" that we can work on for the latter part of spring and the summer months?  

Maybe just a practice workbook like Spectrum spelling?  Building Spelling Skills?  (This would be alongside weekly AAS review, of course).  

Other thoughts?

I think as long as you're doing weekly review it should be enough.  We use an old spelling book that teaches the same patterns and order as AAS1 (I ended up ditching AAS after finding this was a slightly better fit for us).  Anyhow, I create our spelling program based on that and copywork.  Each week I pick the next rule to work on:

Day 1 & 2: hands on work with the tiles learning the new rule, copywork applying it.

Day 3: I write the previous rule(s) on the whiteboard and give a sentence for dictation from the book.  He's allowed to reference the rules needed as much as he likes, making corrections before showing his work.

Day 4: Copywork, repeating the week's rule and teaching it back to me.

Day 5: current rule goes on the whiteboard.  Spelling "test" (cold spelling of 5-9 words).  Dictation.

• Like 1

First, I would just go right into AAS2.  I think it would be better to do that and stop in the middle for summer than just not moving along.  But if you don't like that idea, I have 1-5 review lists here.  They are not by step; they are true reviews assuming the level has been completed.  Also, they include the extra words.

I must confess I started using Spelling Workout with my kids this year, but the youngest two still get AAS.  I needed something like SW to keep us on a weekly routine.  I have had to correct the Level C book twice already for incorrect spelling analysis, thanks to all that I've learned from AAS.  But I'm still glad I use it for organizational purposes.

I also recommend Spelling City.  Lots of AAS lists already on there, so it would cover your review and it's fun.  We've done this in the past when we've finished early and decided not to move onto the next level.  I have also had them do copywork sentences using the spelling words.