Menu

Anyone in the UK (or British)?

octavia

What do you use for spelling? I haven't even looked a spelling programmes before, so I have idea where to begin.

I'm looking for something for my 7yo newly fluent reader who loves writing. She's somewhat idiosyncratic ;) in her approach to spelling - I'm looking for something gentle, with British spelling (obviously). I don't want anything that's too time consuming, I don't want to damage her enthusiasm for writing, spelling isn't a top priority at the moment.

Is there any point in carrying on with phonics at this point?

We use 'Spelling Workout' even though it has American spellings. It was a lot less dull than those awful spelling books you get in the library in the UK. I just check through the spellings on the pages before they start. We did try at first, and quite liked, the 'English Made Easy' series. These are quite fun but I didn't think they were as thorough as Spelling Workout.

I get Spelling Workout from a little home-educating company called http://www.ichthusresources.co.uk/ .

Best wishes,

Lorna

Shonell's Essential Spelling List is excellent! Just 3- 5 words per day, organised into groups. We've found it works very well.

I have them:

1. Copy out the words

2. Put them into alphabetical order

3. Divide the words into syllables, and

4. Put the words into sentences.

Then Friday, it's a test on the week's words, and every four weeks or so there's a dictation passage to review the words.

Takes about ten minutes per day - quick, simple and effective - just the way I like it!

They catch on pretty fast which spelling to use when. I am American & dh is NZer, so they need to be familiar with both. Spelling programs I have used (Spelling Power & Sequential Spelling) offer both spellings. I don't worry about spelling before age 8-9, but concentrate on phonics instead. My youngest is the best speller in the family & I feel that is because of his strong phonics background. He actually enjoys dictations! My older 2 dc began their education in the PS here in NZ & had no phonics instruction. We are still filling in gaps in their education from those years.

JMHO,

We've been using that for 3 years, my girls like it and it seems to have improved their spelling. Each unit gives a spelling rule and then some exercises.

In addition to that I make a spelling list from the Collins unit of that week, as well as from other words they got wrong that week whilst writing, and their dad practises that with them every evening for a few minutes.

Hope that helps,

Friederike