Menu

Do you use this kitchen trick?

unsinkable

Kitchen Trick  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a knife to check the temperature of a casserole?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ouch!

I have never heard of that trick. I use a thermometer.

What do you do if you don't have a thermometer? Like if you're cooking at a place that doesn't have one?

No. I can't think of any casseroles I've made when there was any doubt about their being hot enough.

It comes in handy during parties when the oven is being used for many dishes and the oven is being opened and closed more often than usual. Plus, the temp that dishes are being cooked at isn't necessarily the recommended temp.

Oh, it is also helpful when I'm doing something I've never done before...like heating 6lbs of baked ziti made with a couple gallons of sauce* that i had cooked the day before. It was so much food the standard directions wouldn't apply. The edges could be hot but the centers ice cold.

*that is an awkward sentence. I'm trying to say it was a lot of food!

Edited by unsinkable

Sounds like it would work, I'm just wondering what kind of casserole I would need this for. Most things won't be done until they're bubbly, which you can see. What kinds of things do you use this for? I'm curious.

Potatoes and pasta, things without a lot of liquid.

Sweet potato casserole, baked ziti, lasagne.