Menu

Guys, I got got to talk to the Microsoft scam guys!

bagel270

They called me! I even got to talk to a supervisor, because I don't have a Microsoft computer. Apparently, they service all kinds of computers now. He told me he would check it for any problems right in front of me. When I insisted I didn't have any problems, He told me he was an experienced technician, and now my computer is going to crash and I can throw it in the garbage. I couldn't get him to stay on the phone very long though. He wasn't awfully friendly.  :lol:

• Like 8

LOL we always have fun messing with those guys.

""Which button did you want me to press? Say that again? Is that on the back? Ugh, I'm having a terrible time hearing you, could you repeat that? I don't know my number, let me go look it up. Hold on..."

I also tell telemarketers and political pollsters "I'm sorry she (me) just died an hour or so ago." Their reactions are priceless.

• Like 12

They call me on average 4-5 times a day. Every day! I've been blocking the numbers they use. How do I make it stop??

One guy started yelling at me because I wasn't in front of a computer. I was laughing.

What info are they trying to get from you? What's their scam?

• Like 1

I swore at them and they never called back. Maybe a well placed F-bomb lets them know there's no way you're a good target.

considering they have autodialers - they don't care that you swear at them.  you've just been lucky.  I can get one several times a week - then go months without one.

They call me on average 4-5 times a day. Every day! I've been blocking the numbers they use. How do I make it stop??

One guy started yelling at me because I wasn't in front of a computer. I was laughing.

What info are they trying to get from you? What's their scam?

taking over your computer -and any account  information that leads to actual money.

there are comp. nerds who've toyed with them and posted the video to youtube.  one even had the scammers hang up on him . . .

I've asked them which computer .. we have eight, which one?  . . . we only have apple computers . . . we don't have a computer . . . nothing stops them from calling.

• Like 1

LOL we always have fun messing with those guys.

""Which button did you want me to press? Say that again? Is that on the back? Ugh, I'm having a terrible time hearing you, could you repeat that? I don't know my number, let me go look it up. Hold on..."

I also tell telemarketers and political pollsters "I'm sorry she (me) just died an hour or so ago." Their reactions are priceless.

I had one suggestion come across my facebook feed of "hand the phone to your three year old, and tell them it's santa."

• Like 7

I only knew that this was a thing because FIL fell for it last year.

Sadly we had dinner yesterday with an elderly lady who was recently scammed by Microsoft and McAfee scammers. She is out about 1,000 and was crying over dessert. It was so sad.

That is tragic.  I hate that "the bad guys" can get away with junk like this.

I swore at them and they never called back. Maybe a well placed F-bomb lets them know there's no way you're a good target.

On the other hand, I thanked him, said he was very kind, and asked if he was a Christian. He hung up immediately. Maybe he thought I was going to start proselytizing (spoiler alert -- that's exactly what I planned to do).

• Like 8

I strung them along once for close to 40 minutes. They got a supervisor on the line then ended up putting the call on speaker to the crowd they apparently had gathered around them. It was really fun! I acted completely worried something was wrong and so very thankful they were there to help me. At the end they explained how they knew it was my computer that had a problem -- they read out my name and address to me to prove it. And I said, "Ohhhhh, that explains it! That is my neighbour!! Thank goodness my computer is fine." They hung up on me at that point, but I started receiving multiple calls per day as my number was probably posted in the training manual or something.

But the last time they called I tried a response I learned from the Hive. I asked if his mother knew that he was involved with criminal activity and how he felt bringing so much dishonour to his family. They have never called back.

• Like 12

Wait...what is this scam? I haven't heard this one. I keep getting a call from the IRS, who is bringing a suit against me.

They call and tell you they are monitoring your computer and you have a virus or something. You give them access to your computer and they will fix it for you at a cost of course. Then your credit card is involved as well.

My friend had to close credit card accounts, bank accounts etc. and now her computer has a virus which will cost her to fix. So she is debating a new laptop, fix the old one or go without.

• Like 1

They call and tell you they are monitoring your computer and you have a virus or something. You give them access to your computer and they will fix it for you at a cost of course. Then your credit card is involved as well.

My friend had to close credit card accounts, bank accounts etc. and now her computer has a virus which will cost her to fix. So she is debating a new laptop, fix the old one or go without.

So are they supposedly (or actually) sending or receiving a signal to your computer?

So are they supposedly (or actually) sending or receiving a signal to your computer?

yes - the ask questions which basically will allow them to take over your computer remotely.  it's a scam.

they claim some sort of "microsoft technical dept." and your computer is sending them error messages (which computer?  your microsoft computer - dd's friend - I have 100 servers here.  which one?  your microsoft one . . . . he's the real deal and twists their tail.)  that it has a problem, and they are trying to help you.  bs - they are the problem. 

MS will never call you

Edited by gardenmom5

and now I got the robo call from "tim from the customer service dept. can you hear me okay?"  I don't remember exactly where they're from, the numbers are different each time.  sometimes I've just set the phone down until it auto ends.

so much for the "do not call" registry . . . . .

• Like 1

Poor woman. I hope she reported it.

Her son is a cop, and he was sitting right there while she was telling us about it. He said until they stop putting these criminals in time out, they will continue to get away with it.

She was told by somebody, to report it to the state attorney general. Her son said don't bother, let's just move on and get you back on track Mom.

I just had to change my number today because of these guys!

They have been calling 4 times a day for weeks. I've tried everything to get rid of them. We've been blocking numbers on our home phone.

And no, just not answering isn't an option. They called this morning at 7:15 and I didn't want the phone ringing to wake up all my kids. They have called after 9 PM too.

So today I got a new number.

Anyone want to bet on how long it takes for them to find me again?

Why me???

I've answered these a couple of different ways...

1. I said: "Oh thank you so much! But first, I need YOU to give ME your credit card number." This really flummoxed him, and then I said Bye nicely & hung up.

2. "Does your mom know you are working for scammers? They are really bad people- you should just open the door and walk right out."

3. "You sound like a really nice lady, do you know you are working for scammers?"

I'm now getting them on my cell. . . . .

This is a large part of the reason I still have a home phone. I want to keep my cell number "more pure" by not making it my contact number for general business stuff. 

Sometimes when my phone rings a bazillion times and it isn't anyone meaningful, I unplug my phone for the whole day, or all night or whatever. The important people can still get me on my cell.