Menu

Is pie a good breakfast?

bettyandbob

Pie for breakfast  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is pie a balanced breakfast?

• Yes!
    • No.

You've got grain (just ignore that "whole grain" part -- really, it's absolutely no different than Cream of Wheat, right?), fruit/veg, *some* fat for satiety, maybe even some eggs or milk for protein.... Really, how can you go wrong? :-)

I do have whole grain-one of the ingredients of my crusts is brown rice. I might have to find whipped cream for dairy. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm currently debating the idea of going to your house for breakfast.

One of the big problems with extended family having decide to eat at a restaurant since my grandmother passed away (2 years ago) is the lack of leftovers...

I miss that routine, though turkey sandwiches tended to be the breakfast of choice for breakfast at grandma's house.

• Like 1

Pie would definitely be good for breakfast if you are meaning very tasty!  I answered the poll "no" though because the poll used the word "balanced" which I interpreted as meaning healthy.  So, standard pies would be a no for me, primarily because of the sugar content.  I'm off sugar and made a low-carb pumpkin custard which I consider quite yummy and may come closer to being a healthy breakfast (pumpkin, eggs, almond milk, spices). 

Fun poll!

• Like 1

Every day? Nope. Way too much sugar and gratuitous carbs. (I usually eat eggs and mushrooms for breakfast.)

Day after TG? Oh, yeah. Just like cake is an acceptable breakfast the day after your birthday.

I haven't eaten yet. Hmm, maybe some leftover oysters with a side of coconut pie.

Wait a minute!  You have leftover coconut pie?  You're lucky we're 8 hours away today 'cause I could probably figure out where you live...   :coolgleamA:

I should not be reading this thread after having just had Raisin Bran.  (sigh)

I suspect we'll be eating real fish & chips for lunch though - a nice perk to being right next to the Canadian border.

• Like 2

Wait a minute! You have leftover coconut pie? You're lucky we're 8 hours away today 'cause I could probably figure out where you live... :coolgleamA:

I should not be reading this thread after having just had Raisin Bran. (sigh)

I suspect we'll be eating real fish & chips for lunch though - a nice perk to being right next to the Canadian border.

Hahahaha! Okay, next year, we can have a Black Friday WTM get together. Enjoy the fish and chips -- sounds delicious!

(This is the first time I've made TG dinner in five years, and it was just the seven of us. The leftovers are definitely a big perk.)

• Like 2

Hahahaha! Okay, next year, we can have a Black Friday WTM get together. Enjoy the fish and chips -- sounds delicious!

(This is the first time I've made TG dinner in five years, and it was just the seven of us. The leftovers are definitely a big perk.)

As long as my family is still alive we'll be with them over the holidays.  They're getting older and have significant health issues.  It's worth it to eat in a restaurant with them instead of having leftovers if that's my choice.  Some of them I only see once a year (due to distance).

Once our families are no longer here, hubby and I could be anywhere in the world... or we could be with our kids... or we might have them with us somewhere in the world.  Time will tell.

I love the idea of a WTM Black Friday get together and I love leftovers, but... IRL... I'm either going to be here, with kids, or hiking somewhere.  'Tis the way we are.

• Like 2

I need an 'other'.

the day after thanksgiving - pumpkin pie is our traditional breakfast. (had more to do with the amount of work of putting things back together.)  in general - no.  (though I'm not sure there's anymore sugar in apple pie than there would be in sugared cereal, pancakes with syrup, etc.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

In our house, we only eat pie on special occasions (holidays, birthdays if that was the dessert request, the day we pick cherries and the day in the middle of the winter when I make the frozen cherry pie), so day-after breakfasts always consist of pie :D

Dh had his with a piece of leftover bacon. I will have mine after eating my greek yogurt and berries.

• Like 3

We always have pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. And, for one day of the year at least, my children think I'm the best mom ever!

If your kids are like mine, this will carry over for more than one day.  Years later they'll be singing your praises and replicating the tradition.  It's one of the things that warms old parent souls.  ;)

• Like 3

YES!

Pie is always for breakfast when we have it.  There are 4 of us, and I tend to slice pie into 8 slices.  So we have 4 after dinner for dessert, and the remaining 4 are always for breakfast the next day.

Fruit and crust, lighter on the sugar, though it is there.   It's actually probably more balanced than a bowl of Fruit Loops or other sugary cereal.  When I make a cream pie, those are not available for breakfast though.  :) 

• Like 1

Now I wish I hadn't eaten the last piece of apple pie for dinner last night (and that was my entire dinner) just so I could have it this morning. My thought process last night was to get the last of the bad stuff out of the house so I could start fresh with healthy foods today but now my thought process is that pie would make an excellent breakfast food.

with eggnog in my coffee! :001_wub:

I detest coffee, but we just had our first glass of eggnog with middle son.  It was breakfast for him as he's catching up on lost sleep at college.  We brought a brand from home that we know we love. :cheers2: 

The holidays and their traditions definitely have their place in our lives even if the traditions get modified a little bit.  No regrets!

Fish & chips have been shifted to tomorrow.  It's overcast here today and part of that tradition is eating the meal while overlooking the gorgeousness of the St Lawrence River.  It's a super pretty true blue river when the sun is shining.  

brockville.jpg

Tomorrow the forecast calls for partly cloudy.  We're going to take our chances on a better view tomorrow.  It's not summer, of course, the water is still pretty if the sun is out.

• Like 1

Yes.

However, I also sometimes eat Cadbury eggs for breakfast on Easter.

FTR:  I had no breakfast this morning because I was shopping.

However, tomorrow morning I will be eating leftover gluten-free peach cobbler that dh, dd11, and dd9 made for me.   :drool5:

• Like 1

My DH is sad that we don't have any leftover pumpkin pie for his breakfast, so he is eating caramel apple creamcheese dessert instead.  I can't say is it much more sugary than cereal or pancakes would be, plus it has apples.  I would love a slice of apple pie right now, but I didn't make any this year.

If I count pumpkin as a vegetable (ds informs me it is botanically a fruit), can pie be a balanced breakfast?

If it has seeds, it is a fruit. Except for strawberries, which are not fruits but pseudofruits.

As for whether or not pie is a good breakfast, that depends. What's our basis of comparison? If the choice is "pie" or "an egg and a grapefruit with no added sugar, and also some slices of avocado" then I think the egg comes out on top. If the choice is "pie" or "poptarts" then it's probably the pie. If it's "pie" or "jolly ranchers and coffee" then it is DEFINITELY the pie.