Menu

Minimum to purchase for First Form Latin

MamaSprout

Memoria Press has free shipping for Black Friday :o), so I'm thinking of ordering some things on my list.

DC has done enough Latin for FF (and some of SF) to be review, but I think we ought to go through it since we've taken some time off Latin, and I want to jump back in with something independent. What is the minimum I need to purchase to get it done without major inconvenience?

Thanks!

We are currently doing FF. I think it is necessary to have the text, workbook, teacher's manual, and workbook answer key. I use those on a daily basis. The DVD's are nice and helpful with pronunciation, but I don't think they are critical. I don't use anything else even though I have I have all the extras. They just go unused. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I agree with this, generally. Although I find the DVD invaluable because I don't know Latin and I am learning along with DD.

We are currently doing FF. I think it is necessary to have the text, workbook, teacher's manual, and workbook answer key. I use those on a daily basis. The DVD's are nice and helpful with pronunciation, but I don't think they are critical. I don't use anything else even though I have I have all the extras. They just go unused. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Bare bones option: text, workbook, workbook answer key.

I've used the First Form series rather successfully using only these tools. It helped that I had a couple years of experience sitting in on Latin coop classes before I started teaching FF (and SF) at home and at coop. My own dd actually did better going slowly through First and Second Form with just these materials at a slightly slower pace than she did with doing Third Form with Memoria Press Online Academy. She did a bit of Fourth Form before transitioning to Lingua Latina midway through 8th grade, and she is now a high school sophomore in Latin 4 at a brick and mortar school getting A's thanks to the great foundation this series gave her.

• Like 1

How many pages/ how extensive are the quizzes and tests book? I'm debating having her take quizzes and do recitations until she hits a snag somewhere.

There are 30-34 quizzes and tests in each of the FFL & SFL quiz and test books. Each lesson has a quiz and each review lesson has a test - plus there is a final exam. The answers are in the Workbook and Test Key. If you go this route you could purchase the FFL & SFL Latin desk charts, the test books and answer keys. The free shipping lasts through Christmas so if you find it's not enough, you still have time to order more.

Edited by SevenDaisies
  • Like 1

There are 30-34 quizzes and tests in each of the FFL & SFL quiz and test books. Each lesson has a quiz and each review lesson has a test - plus there is a final exam. The answers are in the Workbook and Test Key. If you go this route you could purchase the FFL & SFL Latin desk charts, the test books and answer keys. The free shipping lasts through Christmas so if you find it's not enough, you still have time to order more.

I need to read my emails more closely- I thought it was this weekend, but that must be the CD. The free shipping until Christmas gives me time to ponder this a bit, too. Thanks!

ETA: I'm looking at the Teacher's manual instead of the desk charts. The manual contains the student book and the recitation directions. That, with the quizzes, might work. There's even chalk board exercises we could do on the whiteboard if she needs to review something.

Edited by elladarcy

I need to read my emails more closely- I thought it was this weekend, but that must be the CD. The free shipping until Christmas gives me time to ponder this a bit, too. Thanks!

ETA: I'm looking at the Teacher's manual instead of the desk charts. The manual contains the student book and the recitation directions. That, with the quizzes, might work. There's even chalk board exercises we could do on the whiteboard if she needs to review something.

If you get the Teacher's Manuals you will get a link to the downloadable quizzes and tests and then you can print them - although I believe it is only $5 to get them pre-printed in the books. Yes, the CD is the black Friday special, but the email they sent out says free shipping continues through Christmas. And don't forget Quizlet - many people have created flashcards for the Forms.

• Like 1

If you get the Teacher's Manuals you will get a link to the downloadable quizzes and tests and then you can print them - although I believe it is only $5 to get them pre-printed in the books. Yes, the CD is the black Friday special, but the email they sent out says free shipping continues through Christmas. And don't forget Quizlet - many people have created flashcards for the Forms.

Really? Is this only if you order straight from MP? Eldest is on 3rd form & I've never gotten a link for those. Interesting....

Really? Is this only if you order straight from MP? Eldest is on 3rd form & I've never gotten a link for those. Interesting....

It's fairly new and it's not just for Latin. If you order from them you get an email with a link and the files are added to your MP account. If you email them and tell them you ordered from elsewhere they will likely give you the files. It's so nice to print tests instead of copying them from the back of the teachers guides (most of their tests are not available in consumable books like the forms series). Plus I was able to reprint unit tests for summer review.

• Like 1

It's fairly new and it's not just for Latin. If you order from them you get an email with a link and the files are added to your MP account. If you email them and tell them you ordered from elsewhere they will likely give you the files. It's so nice to print tests instead of copying them from the back of the teachers guides (most of their tests are not available in consumable books like the forms series). Plus I was able to reprint unit tests for summer review.

Which book would include the downloads? I purchased the Teacher's Manual and the Key. There were tests in my account file for a literature Teacher's Edition I bought earlier this year, but nothing for First Form.

I'm happy as long as the quizzes and tests are in the TE. I could just order them, too, for $5 with free shipping.

Which book would include the downloads? I purchased the Teacher's Manual and the Key. There were tests in my account file for a literature Teacher's Edition I bought earlier this year, but nothing for First Form.

I'm happy as long as the quizzes and tests are in the TE. I could just order them, too, for $5 with free shipping.

For most MP books the quizzes and tests are in the Teacher's Guide, but the Forms Series is different in that they have pre-printed test books. I just purchased the Mammals Teacher's Guide and immediately received a link. I've always purchased the Forms as a set. Maybe you have to purchase the test book for the Forms Series??? I apologize if I steered you wrong. I hadn't considered that you would have to purchase the Forms test book because for just about every other book, you get the files when you purchase the Teacher's Guide.

• Like 1