Menu

Black Friday

blondeviolin

Online shopping most likely as it is "California chilly" as the weatherman puts it.

We are looking out for an entry level Nikon DSLR with lens set for sharing, a replacement laptop for me to replace my slowpoke nine year old laptop, birthday gifts for my early December boys.

The DSLR and the laptop can wait for deals. My kids don't mind belated gifts but I would still want them to have a present from us that is on time.

My kids list is:

binoculars for DS9 (he has been using my nikon ones for years)

Lego architecture studio to share

Sphero to share

Laptop backpack with lumbar strap requested by DS9 (the current one bangs everyone's back regardless who use it)

I'm considering getting these tents that you use on your bed for my boys, but I'm not sure if they'll be part of any Black Friday sales or not. I don't know how to find out. So on Black Friday, I'll just start searching online for them. They sell them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Maybe they'll have a sale there.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/privacy-pop-bed-tent/3262652?Keyword=privacy+pop+tent

I already used the Kohl's Black Friday prices (they started on Monday) to get my parents some new Cuddl Dud sheets and a super soft blanket.

I finished my Black Friday shopping. I only wanted bras at Victoria's Secret and they had an advance sale yesterday for Angel card holders. I even got the free tote bag that so many love. I think it looks gaudy! I'm giving it to my oldest dd so she doesn't have to overspend there just to get the tote.

I have told the boys that Christmas will be SMALL this year.  I will not Black Friday shop other than possibly driving up to the Melting Pot for their "buy a $100 gift card and get an additional $50" deal.  I still haven't decided on that.

We don't buy for extended family, although this year I may send them Amazon gift cards via email for two new babies born this year.

Oldest needs a laptop but we are giving him $$ for it as we want him to start his CC program to figure out which would be a good one.

Middle just got a new guitar for an early birthday present.  He can't decide what he wants for Christmas, so it may just be $$.

Youngest has a small list, which will not be too expensive.  

I am buying my own present since DH doesn't know anything about the appliance I want.

DH is picking out his own golf stuff.

I will make my annual bath salts for local friends.

This is a cool gift!

I'm considering getting these tents that you use on your bed for my boys, but I'm not sure if they'll be part of any Black Friday sales or not. I don't know how to find out. So on Black Friday, I'll just start searching online for them. They sell them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Maybe they'll have a sale there.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/privacy-pop-bed-tent/3262652?Keyword=privacy+pop+tent

I already used the Kohl's Black Friday prices (they started on Monday) to get my parents some new Cuddl Dud sheets and a super soft blanket.

I wasn't planning on doing any shopping, but I'm tempted by that 7" Fire tablet.  Not that I need it -- I have an iPad AIr 2.  But for that price I'm feeling tempted.  Plus one of our cash back rewards credit cards is currently giving 10 percent back on all Amazon purchases, so it would really only cost me $31.50.  I'd probably just use it as a back up to my aging Kindle, since the iPad gets a bit heavy for hours of reading.

Online shopping most likely as it is "California chilly" as the weatherman puts it.

We are looking out for an entry level Nikon DSLR with lens set for sharing, a replacement laptop for me to replace my slowpoke nine year old laptop, birthday gifts for my early December boys.

The DSLR and the laptop can wait for deals. My kids don't mind belated gifts but I would still want them to have a present from us that is on time.

My kids list is:

binoculars for DS9 (he has been using my nikon ones for years)

Lego architecture studio to share

Sphero to share

Laptop backpack with lumbar strap requested by DS9 (the current one bangs everyone's back regardless who use it)

My 16yo has had her eye on the Nikon 5300 2 lens kit for a while (as in she has been saving up), but I've decided to bite the bullet and grab the Pentax ks2 from Costco. The two lens kit + bag set is $499. I've read the reviews and am impressed with the nice features offered at an entry level price. It just released in the spring, so the technology is current.

I went to Walmart about 4pm. I live in a small town and the crowds weren't crazy, but the store was prepared. They had 4 police cars there, stock out labeled DO NOT TOUCH and lots of extra employees wearing special vests. Some people were already queuing up for certain items. I grabbed my wine and cheerios and got out of there quickly before the 6pm sales started. 

I did do an Amazon order for  book this morning. I also did another online sale order from REI, but that will be the extent of my shopping for this weekend. 

• Like 4

Why is it Black?

Black Friday makes me think there were some particularly nasty bush fires on a Friday one year. 

It's a reference to the finances of retail businesses. 

When a company is "in the red" it means that they are loosing money. When a company is "in the black" it means that they are making money (explaining because I don't know if these are terms used only in the US or if they are terms used in other places). In the US, the arrival of the Christmas shopping season marks the time when US retailers move from being "in the red" for the year to being "in the black." The day after the Thanksgiving Day is the traditional start of the Christmas shopping season, so it is called "Black Friday." 

• Like 1

Just so you know, this is the funniest thing I've seen on the internets all day.

Isn't it though. I had to read it twice because first I thought she said she grabbed her wine and cheerios to munch while waiting in line at the sales and I thought..Wow that's a wierd combo of snacks". LOL

• Like 3

I bought these Wednesday for my boys after finding out Old Navy has a 50% sale of the WHOLE store Wed, Thurs, Fri (and maybe the weekend): http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=601470002&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdkw=boys-performance-fleece-pants-P601470&brandCvoSid=4QHWK35GFWRZ&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldnavy.com%2Fproducts%2Fboys-fleece-pants.jsp My boys live in these fleece pant in the winter. They're nice and thick!

The only other thing I'm buying is a Plan to Eat subscription: https://www.plantoeat.com/black_friday_sale

We went to Target and there wasn't a crowd. People were mainly buying TVs and game consoles and the big $10 teddy bear.

Best Buy was having a long line round the building so we didn't join the line.

Then we went to Macys to have a look. The cashier lines were so long we took a quick look for a replacement rice cooker then left.

We drove pass the nearby premium outlet on the way home out of curiosity but many were waiting for a parking lot as usual so we went home.

Well...who knew? Actually I can shop on Thanksgiving weekend!!!! (Have banned it for years). Kohls- boots, crock pot and electric toothbrushes. Online, and free shipping:). Was very tempted to run to Walmart for 9v batteries for our noisy and annoying fire thingamaggigs, but forget it...couldn't do it. I just don't go to stores this weekend. Will rather put up with the beeping :)

I bought these Wednesday for my boys after finding out Old Navy has a 50% sale of the WHOLE store Wed, Thurs, Fri (and maybe the weekend): http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=601470002&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdkw=boys-performance-fleece-pants-P601470&brandCvoSid=4QHWK35GFWRZ&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldnavy.com%2Fproducts%2Fboys-fleece-pants.jsp My boys live in these fleece pant in the winter. They're nice and thick!

The only other thing I'm buying is a Plan to Eat subscription: https://www.plantoeat.com/black_friday_sale

Is there a code? It says they're on sale for $10 and regularly $16.94. Unless my math is dusty, that's not 50%

The binoculars that DS9 wants is on sale at Best Buy so we will be making a pit stop there. It is to replace my well used 15 year old Nikon binoculars that he has been using since he was much younger.

I am still on the lookout for a rice cooker and a sauce pot. My old ones died a few months ago.

Kohl's is great at making me feel like I stole their inventory, lol.

This morning, I ordered 6 pairs of cute boots for my daughters and a winter coat for myself.  $157.  I enjoyed seeing "Your Savings: $480", plus I got $45 Kohl's Cash and some Rewards stuff, so I'll be looking for some extended family gifts next week.  It's still $157, but I needed a coat!

• Like 2

My 16yo has had her eye on the Nikon 5300 2 lens kit for a while (as in she has been saving up), but I've decided to bite the bullet and grab the Pentax ks2 from Costco.

My hubby prefers Nikon to Canon which is funny since all cameras and binoculars are mine and bought before marriage. Its like he gets stuck on my favorite brands.

We are going Best Buy to look since we are buying DS9 a Nikon 8x42 binoculars to replace my old Nikon Sprint 8x21 that he has been using for years. I'll try out Pentax while there.

My mom & I went to a local independent toy store and took advantage of their 30% sale this morning. Scored the Minecraft Stop Motion Animation kit (dd11 dying for it!) and a couple other highly-desired items for the nephews.

AND. . . . . . . they gift wrapped everything for me!

:hurray:

• Like 4

Most of my shopping is done already (all online), but I did get a new car seat for the youngest today on an Amazon lightning deal.  Our TV had an unfortunate accident a few months ago and we've waited to replace it.  I was hoping for a good deal on a TV but haven't found any remarkably good deals (other than those lightning deals that sell out way too fast.)

I went to a locally owned quilt shop for their Black Friday sale. Buy one item get the second for 70% off. The entire store was included and there was no limit.

Edited due to auto correct - apparently I was buying the country of Ireland. Sigh. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

I was awake at 4:20am ( bathroom trip) when a friend texted me asked me to go shopping with her. 10 minutes later I was on my way.

Instead of the mall, being the good farm women we are, we headed to the farm store in our little nothing, no big box stores, town......good thing we had her truck as my mini van would have been very out of place in the parking lot full of trucks. There was a long line to get in and check out but I got the muck boots fory son 1/2 off along with chicken feed in sale.

From there we went to TSC in the next tiny town and I was the first one in the door when they opened at 6am...total of 4 trucks in the lot. Scored cowboy boots for myself 1/2 off and cat food on sale.

We then ended up at Walmart at 7:30am where the store was almost empty. Scored gifts for the kids so I am done shopping now. Not even a line to check out.

Then later today I went back to the first store and ordered a pair of muck boots for dh 1/2 off....they gave rain checks for the sale price :-) and then to TSC for cowboy boots for one of my daughters 1/2 price along with a bed for the dog and horse feed.

Gotta love farm store black Friday shopping.

• Like 9

Just thought I'd mention that we got our kids these tents a couple years ago.  They put them up in October and leave them up through around March or April before it gets too hot.  This is the third year they've used them, and they are holding up well.  They love them!

Just thought I'd mention that we got our kids these tents a couple years ago.  They put them up in October and leave them up through around March or April before it gets too hot.  This is the third year they've used them, and they are holding up well.  They love them!

That is good to know! I ordered them today with a 30% off coupon.  They're expensive (to me.)  The reviews said that some people used them in college dorms if they had roommates, so I'm hoping they last long enough to use in college if the boys want to.  I hope the boys like them.  Because they're going to be missing out on $200 worth of toys. It was either a bunch of toys or the tents and a couple of toys.

I bit the bullet and ordered fiesta ware plates fm Kohls online this morning. Free shipping and moe than 50% off with code.

dd21 and I went out at 7 this morning. Stores here in California were pretty much empty by then. We bought some tshirts and pajamas and a suitcase.

I bought my husband the set of Shelby Foote's Civil War series books at a discount store.  He has had those on his wish list for a number of years but they were always much more expensive. I also bought wrapping paper and tape since we already have a number of presents that have been delivered. My daughter got a very cheap pair of low boots since she needed new warmer shoes for winter. (She has Raynaud's).  Also bought my husband a new bag to take to work since his old one is about twenty years old and now has holes in the bag---- that was online.My dh said he finished one of our children's present shopping.  We got our one daughter a nice camera and extra lenses with my dh's skymiles account.  We got the other one a sewing and embroidery machine.  I am just really wanting people to buy what I asked for on my list which is things like pumps to wear (I can't shop locally because my feet are wide), new skirts and tops, a new trench coat, etc.  Mostly I am interested in replacement items for worn out things I own.

Ordered another Kindle Fire - thank you for posting that deal.  One of our DD's died.

We went to a home improvement store this AM because they had doors on sale.  We reasoned that it wasn't a Black Friday destination.  Wow.  We were WRONG.  We did get five doors (for finishing basement rooms) but it was CRAZY.  

Then we popped over to JoAnn's for the 75% off doorbusters on fleece and flannel and they honored the teacher discount on top of the doorbusters so it was great.

But we were home by about 9:30 and then we drywalled all day.  Oodles of fun!  But we saved about $40 on each door!

• Like 1

I was awake at 4:20am ( bathroom trip) when a friend texted me asked me to go shopping with her. 10 minutes later I was on my way.

Instead of the mall, being the good farm women we are, we headed to the farm store in our little nothing, no big box stores, town......good thing we had her truck as my mini van would have been very out of place in the parking lot full of trucks. There was a long line to get in and check out but I got the muck boots fory son 1/2 off along with chicken feed in sale.

From there we went to TSC in the next tiny town and I was the first one in the door when they opened at 6am...total of 4 trucks in the lot. Scored cowboy boots for myself 1/2 off and cat food on sale.

We then ended up at Walmart at 7:30am where the store was almost empty. Scored gifts for the kids so I am done shopping now. Not even a line to check out.

Then later today I went back to the first store and ordered a pair of muck boots for dh 1/2 off....they gave rain checks for the sale price :-) and then to TSC for cowboy boots for one of my daughters 1/2 price along with a bed for the dog and horse feed.

Gotta love farm store black Friday shopping.

There must be regional differences in pricing.  My TSC offered selected Muck boots at 30% off. I usually avoid Black Friday but I did make a trip to Tractor Supply to buy some Mucks.

• Like 1

There must be regional differences in pricing. My TSC offered selected Muck boots at 30% off. I usually avoid Black Friday but I did make a trip to Tractor Supply to buy some Mucks.

I got the muck boots 1/2 off (only one style on sale) at Family Farm and Home. TSC had the Justin cowboy boots almost 1/2 off.

• Like 1

We got a $5, 8lb. boneless pork loin at Costco. The regular price was $16. I was just there to pick up a grocery item and a friend who works there told us about the sale. Then we noticed almost everyone else in the store had one in their cart. Ha! What a great deal!

Edited by LavenderGirl
  • Like 1

Black Friday used to be my time out alone. Then last year I decided to let the girls see what BF was all about. Went to a good mall where they went one way with a cell phone and I went another with mine and we met up once in awhile. They loved it, so apparently that is our new tradition. I think that ever since stores began opening on Thursday evening, BF just isn't too crazy or crowded (at least around here). It's really kind of a festive, comfortably busy kind of atmosphere--one where I feel the girls are safe on their own.

My most enjoyable stop was American Eagle Outfitters--everything 40% off. We didn't really get much at back to school time, so just kind of filling out the girls' winter wardrobes today.

I bought:

Sea World and Aquatica passes that were on BOGO special

A week of surf camp for my older that was 25% off

2 pairs of Clarks wedges from 6pm.com. Paid less than $100 for over $300 shoes

A Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for $75 off at Tmobile

Several books on Amazon

Season passes for a local outdoor ice rink

Still debating season passes for a So Cal ski resort. Would like to teach my older how to snowboard this year.

We got a $5, 8lb. boneless pork loin at Costco. The regular price was $16. I was just there to pick up a grocery item and a friend who works there told us about the sale. Then we noticed almost everyone else in the store had one in their cart. Ha! What a great deal!

Our costco had the $10 off the pork loins (limit 1) and $10 off turkeys (unlimited).  I bought 4 turkey's and 1 pork loin.  Then while my hubby loaded the car, I went back inside and bought another pork loin.  I wasn't home 20 minutes and my mom called and asked if I would bring frozen broccoli for our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and I was out.  So I made a special trip back to get her broccoli and since I was there I picked up a 3rd pork loin. We are well stocked on meat for a while.

• Like 1