Menu

Question about perimenopause

hollyhock

Everyone's favourite topic! :P

Some things I've been wondering lately:

1. If you have perimenopause symptoms, does that automatically mean that doing blood work will show that your hormones are off? Or can you have symptoms and still have normal blood work?

2. If you have symptoms, do you find that your symptoms are worse when you are skipping cycles and you feel better when your cycles are more regular?

I have systems and my blood work was totally normal. Sigh!! My hot flashes come and go. I haven't technically skipped a month yet but they are all over the place. Never more than 28 days between but sometimes 28, sometimes 14. You get the picture. My symptoms are hard to tie to anything. Though sometimes it seems to tie to an evening I have 2 glasses of wine, but I'm not willing to give that up. Lol

You would need to have blood work done almost daily to get a sense of your levels.  Normal hormone levels fluctuate throughout your cycle, so they could be anywhere on any given day (especially if your cycle isn't regular).

I haven't had a period in three months, and I feel pretty good, most of the time.  Even still, I was awakened by hot flashes in the middle of the night last night (several over the course of an hour).  But, I haven't had any all day that I've noticed.  A month ago, I was having several every hour.  I think staying hydrated has the most pronounced effect on helping me feel better.  

• Like 2

my dr won't do blood work until I'm regularly at least 90 day cycles.  until then, hormones go up and down like a cycle, and you don't know what it "means".

symptoms come and go.  cycle (or not) is just one thing.  I have periodic cramping (and other typical pms) - even though I don't have a cycle. hot flashes have never been really severe for me.  (they did start up after I injured my leg - and wasn't doing yoga.)

I do yoga - and it has been very beneficial for me.  I don't really have that many symptoms - even though I'm in my 50's and started having symptoms in my early 40's.  peri took a sabbatical after I had dudeling.  now it's back in full force.

it varies for everyone.

• Like 1

I have been regular since my last child was born over a decade ago, with a rare skipped cycle every few years. But right now I'm on day 45 and feel like a water balloon filled just to the point of breaking, in every sense of that description.

I had to cancel last month's appointment with my OB due to a schedule conflict of dh's (so I had to be available for a kid activity instead), but now I've got no way to plan when to reschedule. Major bother.

Still not having distinct hot flashes or awful symptoms, mostly the milder things - sleep irregularity, fatigue, increasingly noticeable pms - I really have nothing to complain about. But I would happily give up the uterus if my doc would give me the slightest hint that she's ready to take it out. As others have said, she tells me I'm in the peri stage but taking blood for hormone tests is truly inconclusive at this stage of the game.

Question: Why do they do the blood work? What is the point? Do they prescribe something?

Just wondering

Hot Lava Mama

If you were going to go for hormone replacement therapy, particularly bioodentical-type treatment, they need a starting point to compound your individual Rx. Hopefully someone with experience can provide more info here.