Menu

Gift giving dilemma...

Miss Marple

I'm a pharmacist working part time at our local hospital.  There is one full time pharmacist (female) - a young lady, recent grad, and a new mom.  I purchased some Kate Spade bags on their special 75% off sale a while back.  I planned on giving one particular handbag ($59) to a new female employee at my husband's office.  It would have been part of her Christmas bonus.  However, this young lady quit on Monday due to health issues.

When I worked a few days ago, I discovered that the full time pharmacist had broken her purse over the weekend.  Now I don't understand how a young lady doesn't have a selection to choose from at home, but this gal isn't too girly and, for whatever reason, she doesn't have another.  The extra Kate Spade purse I have is similar in size and style to the one she used.

I would like to give the KS bag to her for Christmas, but it will be much more than is usually given in the pharmacy.  I had thought about telling her it was meant for the ex-employee, but that sounds bad.  Is there some way I can give her the bag without appearing to be over spending and so that it doesn't appear that she is getting a gift meant for someone else?

If the other pharmacist isn't a girly girl and has no purse collection, she might not care about receiving a designer purse. Will it bother you if she doesn't seem to really like it? Will it set the stage to make her feel that lavish gifts are expected next year?   

I have a purse and when it starts looking ratty I replace it.  And yet I'm particular about the color/style/features that I want. I have to carry and use that this so I want it to be what I like. 

But it's a really nice gesture to give her the purse to replace her broken one!

Edited by Annie G

Honestly, I would reconsider the gift and give it to someone who will appreciate it.  I would think a $59 purse to be a terribly extravagant gift (the most I've ever spent, on a purse I loved because it had a plethora of pockets, was $20, and that was a stretch), and she may feel bad if she doesn't like it.

• Like 1

To be honest.... I doubt she will appreciate the gift for what it is. I wouldn't, I usually find those designer purses don't have the features I actually want in them. People who only have one purse are usually very picky about what that one purse has. It's a wonderful gesture but if it was me, I'd go out and find a new purse anyway. Plus, I'm pretty hard on my bags, it would end up worn fairly quickly. 

I've never understood why I'm supposed to need more than one though? Then again, I only ever have two pairs of functional shoes at a time as well, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I just don't get why I'd need more than one bag or two shoes. With the shoes, I always end up wearing the same pair each day anyway, the other is more like a backup than a switch. 

• Like 4

I would give the purse to its original recipient despite the fact that she does not work there any more. $60 is a lot to spend on a work acquaintance, and I would worry that it might make her feel weird. You could always just ask if she wants it, "Hey, I ended up with this extra purse. Do you want it? I can't return it." Then you did something thoughtful for her but without making her feel like she has to reciprocate. Unless, of course, she wants to express her thankfulness with homemade muffins, which are always appropriate.

• Like 1

I was thinking along these lines, too. I would just give the gift to the original recipient.

I would give the purse to its original recipient despite the fact that she does not work there any more. $60 is a lot to spend on a work acquaintance, and I would worry that it might make her feel weird. You could always just ask if she wants it, "Hey, I ended up with this extra purse. Do you want it? I can't return it." Then you did something thoughtful for her but without making her feel like she has to reciprocate. Unless, of course, she wants to express her thankfulness with homemade muffins, which are always appropriate.

If I had purchased something for one of my husband's employees and then they had to resign for health reasons before I got a chance to give them the gift I would generally be inclined to mail the gift to them with a nice card and some well wishes. Could you do that?

• Like 3

Honestly if you feel it would be a good gift for your do-worker, I'd give it to her. She may not seem girly, but may still appreciate the thought and the gift. And since she only uses one purser it would get good use. Since she's a new mom maybe give it as a Christmas/new mom gift and say something cute In a card. I am similar in not seeming girly, only one purse, but my reason is I can't justify the expensive of a purse like that, but would be so excited to be given one, especially as a new mom!

I would tell her not to expect something so nice next year, but you got a great deal on the bag and thought she could use it.  Merry Christmas.

ETA:  while on paper she can probably easily afford a new purse, as a recent grad and new mom with student loans and baby stuff to pay for...  I think that would be awesome.  Plus, she didn't go to the trouble of becoming a pharmacist because she didn't care about material things.  She does, she's just more responsible than that.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

I'm really not comfortable giving it to the young lady from my husband's office.  She didn't finish her 90 day trial period.  The health reason is that she had too much anxiety to work in a physician's office.  Since she quit so long before Christmas, it would be very awkward to seek her out again; and I know my husband will not be giving her a Christmas bonus so it would be rather weird for me to give her the bag.

I know the pharmacist would like the bag in question, but I think she will feel awkward thinking I had spent more for it than I actually spent.  And even the amount I did spend is probably  more than anything she would do.  But I'm a lot older and in a better place financially - she is the wage earner and her husband stays home with the baby.  Honestly, I want to do more for her because she is putting up with a lot from the management.  Management was unable to find a good candidate for the full time position opposite her so they have filled it using 3 prn (temporary) pharmacists.  There is a part time male pharmacist who works two shifts a week.  So she is the only permanent full-time with 4 part timers.  I think that is hard on her.  I would like to do something extra nice for her to show my appreciation of her good humor through it all.

I could just give it to my daughter in law as an extra Christmas gift lol.  She would love it, too.