Menu

A grammar curriculum that could be taught in a co-op format-

Writing Tales includes both co-op and home lesson plans in their books.  You could also probably do something with Grammar-Land if you wanted.  The chapters would lend themselves easily to a once a week plan.

Now that I've had time to mull it over, I think a class based on Grammarland would be an outstanding co-op class.  Each week a new part of speech would be on trial with students arguing for/against in a mock courtroom.  You could teach diagramming as part of the 'sentencing' where each would learn its place.  It would mean building a curriculum from scratch, but I'd be willing to bet Currclick or TPT would have helps for it.

Edited by HomeAgain

I'm currently teaching a co-op grammar class using The Sentence Family.

My students are a bit younger - 3rd to 6th grade.

My setup is a bit unusual because we meet for only half an our every other week.

In class, we read the story and do the exercises provided in The Sentence Family.

Between classs, I use Schoology to assign online homework.

The online homework usuallly has the following components.

1) Draw the character.

2) Take a quiz (I base it on a KISS grammar worksheet.)

3) Find and post sentences from a book that feature the part of speech.

4) Create original sentences featuring that part of speech.

So far it's been going well. I really like using Schoology for the homework.

I can set due date for the homework before the next class meeting, so by the

time for the next class, I don't have to worry about kids not doing their homework.

I can also see how the kids did and make adjustments to the next class based on that.

• Like 1

I'm currently teaching a co-op grammar class using The Sentence Family.

My students are a bit younger - 3rd to 6th grade.

My setup is a bit unusual because we meet for only half an our every other week.

In class, we read the story and do the exercises provided in The Sentence Family.

Between classs, I use Schoology to assign online homework.

The online homework usuallly has the following components.

1) Draw the character.

2) Take a quiz (I base it on a KISS grammar worksheet.)

3) Find and post sentences from a book that feature the part of speech.

4) Create original sentences featuring that part of speech.

So far it's been going well. I really like using Schoology for the homework.

I can set due date for the homework before the next class meeting, so by the

time for the next class, I don't have to worry about kids not doing their homework.

I can also see how the kids did and make adjustments to the next class based on that.

I have never heard of Schoology-- very interesting, thanks!

Iew's Fix it is made just for that.

I have Fix-It, all of the stories on PDF. 

I don't consider that teaching grammar though, more just editing.  It doesn't teach all the parts of speech, diagramming and sentence patterns etc.  Maybe I don't remember correctly though, it has been several years since I used it.  Off to go find it, thanks!

I have Fix-It, all of the stories on PDF.

I don't consider that teaching grammar though, more just editing. It doesn't teach all the parts of speech, diagramming and sentence patterns etc. Maybe I don't remember correctly though, it has been several years since I used it. Off to go find it, thanks!

The new version is a complete grammar. From what I understand, it is very different from the old version. It sounds like you might have the old version?

I vote Rod and Staff. Our first few years of homeschool were with this publisher (most subjects). Teacher manual told you exactly what to say and how to teach said subject. We did the work in our notebook, orally, and on the chalkboard.

Thanks!  What level would you go with for a 4th-6th class?

We pulled a 3’rd grader and a 1’st grader out from public school. We ordered Rod and Staff 4’th grade curriculum (Milestone Books). Look at grammar books 4 through 8. They have student and teacher manual samples. This is a Christian based program. That was not a problem for us.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-12494-3/?list=Rod_and_Staff_Grade_4
https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Curriculum/