Menu

Nail polish in new carpet - help

SKL

What would you use to get nail polish out of new carpet?

Assume the kid who spilled it didn't inform you until it was already dry.  :/

Nail polish remover was tried and failed.

Heavy duty carpet cleaner was tried and failed.

I think we have some goof off / goo gone, would that work?

Edited by SKL

Have you tried googling your question?  I found several sites that say to pour nail polish remover on a cloth and blot the spot working toward the center. They say to do it over and over and over again until the spot is light and then, some say to scrub with a tooth brush.

The only other suggestion is that you call a professional carpet cleaning company and ask if they can get it out. 

We never had to deal with nail polish, but when eldest was only 3 he took those  BIG toddler crayons and scribbled HUGE, BIG lines in white carpet in his room and other rooms in the house - filling the floors with color.  We did get that out, although memory fails me how we did it. 

I hope you can get it out!!!!

Nail Polish remover should work, but like PP said it takes a long while.  We had to soak the spot over and over then scrub with a stiff bristled brush, over and over.  What did not come out of brand new carpet was the combination of wood glue and bright blue paint.... This, as well as much, much, more mayhem in a 3 month period of time while my sister and her kids stayed with us.  

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Daughter of a carpet cleaner here - better to let it set and do not rub it in, then it can be cut out fairly easily. If it is down to the pad and smeared you can have it patched fairly inexpensively. Oftentimes carpet can be cut from the corner of a closet if there isn't a spare yard somewhere.

Edited by Arctic Mama