Menu

Pricing curriculum you no longer use

I have a couple of books that I bought that are just collecting dust. (ie before five in a row, life of Fred, hard copy of first language lessons)

Is there a rule of thumb when pricing books?

Does it make a difference they are in brand new condition versus spine falling off and written all over?

I have a couple of books that I bought that are just collecting dust. (ie before five in a row, life of Fred, hard copy of first language lessons)

Is there a rule of thumb when pricing books?

Not that I know of, I'd probably look my item up online and price competitively.

Keep in mind that older editions are often worth ALOT less than newer editions for books, unless a specific edition is considered the ideal version of a text.

Does it make a difference they are in brand new condition versus spine falling off and written all over?

Of course. When you buy something second hand, do you prefer worn tattered items with a musty storage smell or items in gently used, well-cared for condition?

I'd check to see what others are asking for it. Then, if I really wanted it gone, I'd price mine much lower.

If it is in great condition & I really need to get more for it, I'd price it at just above the going rate but make it clear that it was in great condition.

(ETA: "going rate" being what others are asking for it used on sale forums)

I bought my copy of First Language Lessons 1 & 2 combined for $5. Life of Fred keeps its value more than some other math stuff, IMO.

I personally tend to either give away my stuff (to locals or send to The Book Samaritan) or price it low (but make sure to include shipping). 

It is a hassle to sell stuff nowadays.

Edited by RootAnn

I try to give things away where possible, because I know how hard it is to afford learning resources and I want to help other families out. Quite a few people have helped us out, so I like to pay it forward whenever we can. If I need the money to go towards whatever we are moving on to, I will sell stuff that's in very good condition for 50-60% of the new price. I never accept more money than I paid for something, even with things in great condition (so if I was given it, I will give it away).

I usually wait until there's a local sale opportunity and then I price most things at just a few dollars.

However, if there's something that I know is currently popular and pricey, I do tend to clean it up and try to get 50-60% of the price for it. I usually offer it on local lists that way.