Menu

Something like "James Herriot's Treasury for Children"?

tld

My son is devouring this book and wanting more like it.  I looked at James Herriot's other books and they seem just enough more advanced that I don't think my son will enjoy them to quite the same level.  I think the reading level for this book is perfect for pleasure reading and he loves the art work and true-sounding animal stories.  (Are they true?)  Is there anything else out there like this?

FYI you may be able to read the adult James Herriot story with heavy editing. There's a lot of drinking in them but especially the second book. He's an old fashioned Scot and they apparently have a few really strong drinks more than occasionally and his northern British clientele in the Dales offer him strong drinks, but the part that's especially concerning is he goes on several times in great detail about getting soused to the point of near vomiting and memory loss when visiting a certain friend. :..so not necessarily for kids.

Next time I re -read them, I'll put in some paper clips to help my son know what to skip ...because they are truly some of my favorite books ever...

It is hard when there is nothing almost exactly the same. I hope someone else knows, but I don't.

Not so animal based, but Little House in the Big Woods hits many of the same emotional responses. And as already mentioned, Beatrix Potter and Burgess are more fictional, but solid animal stories.

I have one on my shelf.  It is lovely.  They are short, illustrated stories just like Herriot. I cannot find it with a simple search on the internet right now, and I'm not at home.  When I get home I'll try to remember to look it up by author.

It is oop, I'm sure.  

Thank you for mentioning this book.  I hadn't even heard of it before (in homeschooling I'm finding a lot of books I've never heard of before).  It looks lovely.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the two books offered at Rainbow Resource?  You'll need to put in the search "James Herriot" in order to see them both.  One is called Treasury for Children with a grade range of preK - 3rd for $16.95.  The other is called Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children listed as grade 2 - 6 with a $13.95 price.  I think they are both hard cover. They seem the same inside.  I want to get one and also the audio.  There is a sample of the audio on youtube...the author has a very nice voice.