Menu

Lego advent calendar

bettyandbob

35 members have voted

1. 1. which calendar

• lego
    • megablocks

I've been buying these for a few years. They are getting expensive. Should I get the Megablocks Minions calendar?

This is a big decision. I need to order today.

Adding a poll.

I like lego, because I like to see what weird thing they put in as holiday related. There's always some criminal. I suppose getting mugged is part of holiday shopping.

Edited by Diana P.

Anyone have a link to a good deal?

I want something in the $30 or less range. Not sure it's possible.

Barnes & Noble has a 30% off instore and online coupon for this Friday which can be use on a single item other than Nook. They have Legos in store and online.

ETA:

The in store coupon has a restriction on Legos unfortunately. Not sure about online.

"†NOOK devices, NOOK Books, All LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department & Gift Cards Excluded"

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

The Lego sets have definitely gotten expensive. The price of the new Star Wars advent calendar is out-of-this-world. Ha!

But I still would not purchase Megablocks. They are not the same by any stretch of the imagination. Playmobil is another good option. We have alternated Lego/Playmobil advents for many years.

For the PP who asked how to divide the spoils, we have actually set up a calendar in the past to keep up with whose turn it is to open the advent calendar. So a calendar for a calendar. You do what you have to do. 

And also...look for both Lego and Playmobil advent calendars on sale after Christmas for next year. I've been able to purchase them 30-50% off several times in the past.

• Like 1

I've been looking for one for this year, too. They seem much pricier this year!

Anyone have a link to a good deal?

I want something in the $30 or less range. Not sure it's possible.

The mega blocks calendar looks fun but so young. :(

The Lego City and Friends advent calendars are retail $30

The Star Wars advent calendar is retail $40.

AS far as I recall, this is the same as previous years

However, it is fairly late in the season. They've been out for over a month now. Fewer advent calendars out there and some people mark them up above retail, especially once Lego store themselves runs out.

• Like 2

We have two Playmobil calendars that we reuse. It's a pain to put the pieces back in the boxes after Christmas but I didn't want to keep buying new sets every year. And my kids are young adults now and still love taking these pieces out of the boxes and setting up the scenes.

I got ds a Lego calendar one time and the pieces ended up mixed up with the rest of his Lego bricks.

He's never liked Megablocks. He's a Lego snob.

• Like 2

I'm going to add. The person who is really into the calendar is ds21. He won't be home until 12/19. I asked dd17 if we should do it and she said we should. OK.

Ds14 has down syndrome. Last summer I was able to take him and dd to Universal Studios. Additionally, Despicable Me is one of the movies he watches when ds comes to work with me. So, I think a Minions themed calendar would be something he'd enjoy.

Ya'll are scaring me about the quality of Megablocks. And I know oldest ds would be disappointed not to see the Lego calendar.

ETA

Nevermind. Ds21 just called and when told I wasn't getting the lego calendar, responded in a very disappointed tone. I guess I have to get it.

Edited by Diana P.

I don't think the Megablocks are that bad. We got the Skylanders ones and they work ok with Lego.

I've never bought a Lego advent calendar before because of the price..we usually do the cheap chocolate ones but this year my Star Wars loving Lego fan begged for the calendar and I was able to get one for $29 so we will,try it this year.

My boys are sharing and will take turns opening it. My DD has her own seperate calander as she doesnt care for Star Wars.

We always get the Lego ones (except for last year when I waited too long and they were r sold out everywhere) and my boys love setting them up. I don't allow them to mix them with other Lego sets. Those things are expensive! But since DH is a Lego fan we get those each year. They do tend to get repetitive. We splurged for the Star Wars one this year.

We bought the Lego one when it first came out this year. Ds loves Star Wars and Lego so couldn't skip. I am sure the figures will eventually and up on his Star Wars Lego shelf . We have had the calenders in the past and they really enjoyed them. They take turns building pretty happily with lego.....we buy chocolate calendars too so they each always have a treat each day.

I just looked at the Minion one. It is cute and my dc's are minion fans but one is enough plus it costs more than the Lego one did at the time I bought.