Menu

Moving to WA

Aras

Hello Hive!

The movers come to pack up our stuff in 6 weeks and we will be arriving in the Tacoma/Olympia area in 8 weeks. We don't know where we are going to live yet. We don't want to rent a house that we have never seen, so we have set aside 10 days to look for a house when we arrive. No stress there, none at all :001_rolleyes:  

I have a son who is almost 13, and a daughter who is 11. We are excited to live in a city again, and a little nervous about finding friends. They are laid-back, sweet kids who still like to play at the park and have adventures. 

Can anyone suggest some secular or inclusive groups that have meet-ups, park days, or field trips. We are also looking for Boy Scout troops, Girl Scout Cadette troops, Robotics clubs, Minecraft clubs, a trumpet teacher and a piano teacher. We have btdt with coops so they are not a priority. I have done some googling, but local experience is always appreciated.

We are looking forward to this move with excitement and some trepidation. Everyone I have met who has lived in the PNW has loved it, but it is hard to leave friends behind.

• Like 1

I would suggest joining the meet-up group called Homeschoolers of Pierce and Thurston Counties.  Tacoma/Olympia is a pretty wide area - but that group is pretty active and has quite a bit going on, as well as lots of members (several who post on these forums) in general.

• Like 2

Welcome! Tacoma/Olympia is a large area, indeed. I think you'll find the homeschool culture, whether there are a lot of secular homeschoolers or not, depends on the town you're in if it's small, but in Tacoma and Olympia there are a lot of options. I'm not sure which city you'll be in, and I won't speculate for the sake of your privacy, but if you PM we might be able to tip you off on to some more specifics. They're only 30 miles apart but with traffic, Tacoma can be 1+ hours from Olympia, so there is not AFAIK a ton of overlap in groups except regional groupings.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I would suggest joining the meet-up group called Homeschoolers of Pierce and Thurston Counties.  Tacoma/Olympia is a pretty wide area - but that group is pretty active and has quite a bit going on, as well as lots of members (several who post on these forums) in general.

Thanks for the tip, I made a Meet-Up account and I signed up for the group.

• Like 1

Welcome! Tacoma/Olympia is a large area, indeed. I think you'll find the homeschool culture, whether there are a lot of secular homeschoolers or not, depends on the town you're in if it's small, but in Tacoma and Olympia there are a lot of options. I'm not sure which city you'll be in, and I won't speculate for the sake of your privacy, but if you PM we might be able to tip you off on to some more specifics. They're only 30 miles apart but with traffic, Tacoma can be 1+ hours from Olympia, so there is not AFAIK a ton of overlap in groups except regional groupings.

Good luck!

Thanks Tsuga, I think I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the amount of traffic there is!