Menu

Where to go for testing

kimocha

I took my daughter to get testing by a neuropsychologist and she fond mild intellectual disorder and dyslexia. I agree on the dyslexia but not in the mild intellectual disorder. My daughter does have a low IQ but they did not test her adaptive functioning. Which I thought was need to give a diagnosis of MID.

So, I would like to have her tested elts where. But I am not sure on where to go. I was thinking my only option is the public school. Is that correct? They can't deny her testing becouse she is homeschooled, right?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think it's typical to test for adaptive functioning in school, but you can ask for it and see what they say.

County board of developmental disabilities might offer it or point you to a resource. 

You could call around for a psychologist that will do it as well--you might find someone who would just do it as an add-on if you explain your circumstances.

In my state, the Regional Centers test for ID and developmental disabilities like autism and provide services for those who meet eligibility criteria. The IQ has to be <70 for ID, and for both ID and DD there has to be significant impairment in self-care and independent living skills compared to typical children the same age.

The schools have to do an IEP assessment and that typically includes an IQ test, but the self-care skills assessments my daughter's had focused on things relevant to the classroom like toileting and following directions.

What is a regional center? Her IQ according to the neurophyc was 58. So she would meet that requirement. What kinds of services do people with MID usual get? The things the dr recomended could all be done at home by us. Except for the part were she recommended an IEP.

Hi Kimocha,

The official term now in DSM-5, is IDD.  Intellectual Developmental Disorder.

With IQ, the criteria is; '.... deficits in cognitive capacity beginning

in the developmental period.'
With an emphasis on a history of delayed cognitive developmental.
Where your 5/13 tests, with a Verbal Comprehension score of 91.
Then going down to VC 55 in 9/15, contradicts this?

With a Developmental Delay, she couldn't have scored 91 two years ago, and now 55.
As with a VC developmental delay, she wouldn't have been able to score a 91.
What this rather highlights, is that something has changed and caused this significant reduction?
Where you mentioned that she has an Auditory Processing Disorder.
This can have a greater effect on an 11 year old, than a 9 year old.
As an 11 year old's comprehension, is much more complex than a 9 year old.
So that APD can have a greater impact.

But you mentioned that she was labeled with an Anxiety Disorder.
Where I would note that, many psychologists will declare the scores on an IQ test as invalid. When the child or adult was notably anxious, during the test.
As the anxiety disrupts their ability to demonstrate their cognition with the tests.

So that I would suggest that these two tests, show the increasing effect of her APD and anxiety, on her cognitive abilities?

Though you also wrote that: 'they did not test her adaptive functioning'.
Under DSM-5, the diagnosis of IDD, is now primarily based on tests of adaptive functioning.

IQ test scores, are now considered as a secondary supporting factor.
But this looks at a history, rather than a single set of tests.
The IQ tests, are rather used to identify particular areas of difficulties.

I might note that not too many years ago?
That Blind and Deaf children were given the same IQ tests as 'normal' children?
Which of course, they had very low scores on.  Not being able to see or hear the test.
As a result, being Blind or Deaf, was also defined as IDD, or Mental Retardation as the term then.

It only took around 50 years, before they realized that 'not being able to see or hear an IQ test'?
Might effect their IQ scores?
So that they developed new IQ tests, that were designed to suit children/adults, who are Blind or Deaf.
Which proved that people who were Deaf or Blind, were not 'mentally retarded'. IDD.

Though the revision of IDD in DSM-5, to place IQ scores as a secondary factor?
Recognises that other 'Disorders' can also result in low IQ scores. Due to tests not being given in a way that suits them.
While Deaf children are now given an IQ test that suits them.
If children with an Auditory Processing Disorder, were also given an IQ test that suits them?
Then it might suddenly show that they have a much higher IQ score?

Also if a child with an Anxiety Disorder?  Was able to do an IQ test without feeling Anxious?
Then they would very likely get a much higher IQ score?

Though the revision in DSM-5 of IDD?
Recognises that a standard test of IQ, is only accurate for 'standard thinkers'.
That if a child/adult with an Auditory or Visual Processing Disorder.
Is given an IQ test that suits their way of thinking?
Then it would probably show a higher IQ?

So that DSM-5 has recognized that IQ scores aren't an accurate reflection.
What they look more at, is a parents observations, of their child's cognitive development.

But the primary criteria is 'Adaptive Functioning'.
With a diagnosis of IDD?
It is really a diagnosis of an Adaptive Functioning Disorder.
So that support and remediation is focused on Adaptive Functioning.
How to function as an individual in their community.

Though to give a diagnosis of MID, which I understand as Mild IDD.
Just based on 'recent' IQ test scores.
Without doing an Adaptive Functioning evaluation?
Which is the primary test.
How can Mild IDD be diagnosed, if the primary test for IDD is given?

When your daughter might have no major disorder with Adaptive Functioning?
If your daughter 'felt relaxed, rather than anxious', when doing the IQ tests?
I suspect that her scores would have been higher?
Also if if the tests were presented in a way, that recognised her Auditory Processing Disorder?
Then this might also produce higher IQ scores?
So that if IQ tests are the only basis for diagnosing MID?
Then this would disappear.
Which would show that your daughter's Auditory Processing Disorder, and Anxiety Disorder?
Are effecting her ability to do the IQ tests.
  • Like 1

Thank you for your responses.

I agree that she should not have labeled my daughter with IDD. I feel like this testing was a waste of time and money.

She was labeled with anxiety 2 years ago at the other testing. We took her to a child psychologist for help. After 4 visits we were told the she was fine and did not need this kind of treatment.

I can see she maybe anxious more than others but it does not really interfere with her life. She still functions fine. I don't know why she was given this label either.

As for the CAPD we were given many idea on things that would help her but nothing on how to remedate. We have been using earrobics. But it frustrates her a lot. Is there something elts she could try?

And one more question I originally went in for testing becouse she is very far behind in math and is not really making much progress. She has used reflex math all last year. Seemed to have memorized her addition and subtraction facts. So this year I switched her to multiplication with review of 10 to 15 addition/ subtraction facts daily. She is now forgetting the facts she had previously learned. The dr did not even address math at all in recommendations. What kind of testing should I ask for to address this?

Thank you so much for your help,

Edited by kimocha

For the CAPD, you might need expressive/receptive language work. My son tests low on the receptive language side of things. We will be doing that through a speech therapist. He had the testing for that through a speech therapist. 

We are moving on to another audiologist after some significant miscommunication with the first, but they do fit kids who have CAPD with FM systems or hearing aids, both of which can be used at home during instruction. It is expensive, but it's an option. The FM system looks like hearing aids, and the teacher wears a microphone (it's like a necklace and very simple to use). I believe the phrase my audiologist friend (research, not clinical) uses to describe the benefit is that the FM system "improves the signal to noise ratio." The hearing aids (when they are used) dampen background noise and slightly amplify important sound. They are programmed digitally. We tried these for two weeks, and the difference was life-changing. We are hoping to get things all straightened out to find a permanent solution.

We also have tried to start speaking more slowly and/or pausing more often in conversation, especially during schoolwork. It has helped. My son was reading fast and skipping words when he read out loud. He has some other potential dyslexic signs, but tests as glitchy for language but not dyslexic. He abruptly stopped reading fast and skipping words, and in hindsight, I think he was trying to read as fast as he perceives we talk. My slowing down when I read to him coincided with his smoother reading. He is not able to keep up with normal rate of speech, and I suspect we all sound (to him) like we are talking very fast.

• Like 1