Menu

Surgery Tomorrow (Finally)

Butter

24 hours from now I'll be at the hospital doing pre-op stuff.  Surgery starts at 9:30.  A month and a half ago I had bronchitis and coughed so hard my uterus prolapsed (4th degree).  It's been a very long and painful 6 1/2 weeks.  I am looking forward to spending the next 6 weeks healing and then getting on with my life.

I'll be having a total vaginal hysterectomy, removal of both fallopian tubes, posterior and anterior repair (I have a cystocele and rectocele), tacking the urethra back into the right place, putting in a bladder sling, and tacking the vagina up to prevent it from prolapsing later.

I'm a tiny bit nervous because surgery is never fun, but mostly I'm just excited to get this over with!  I had to switch doctors a few weeks ago because the first OB/Gyn couldn't get me in to surgery until December 15th and even she said that was too long.  The one I ended up with, though, specializes in pelvic reconstruction and specifically uterine and vaginal prolapse so I think having to switch was actually a blessing in disguise.  It's a little annoying that we have to drive 20-25 minutes to her office and the hospital where I'll be having the surgery instead of only going 1 mile to the previous doctor and hospital, but, really, that's just me being spoiled living in an area where we really have to go more than 3 or 4 miles to get anywhere we want.

• Like 7