Menu

nm

wapiti

Your STEM charter sounds amazing!  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  And that's a good point that putting them in an environment that plays to their *strengths* might fix a lot.  Wow.  Today my ds was regaling with me on how he could design a better car.  But he had hit his sister this morning to the point where she's too out of sorts even to be around people and splashed me all over with water and was stuck on things, sigh.  Can't win.  You can't even confront him, because then if you do he melts down and NOTHING gets done.  And all I want is SOMEBODY in the system to care about what's happening and put it in his IEP and stop acting like it doesn't happen if he doesn't do it during a 1 hour observation in school.  Sigh.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Yes, options are good!  I thought I had NO options for ds, and your STEM idea excited me.  Then I talked with an autism service provider in our area who said they might be able to hook ds up with a male tutor who would come in every day for 3-4 hours!  Wow THAT would be amazing and help a lot.  

Fwiw, I went to a school for the gifted that focused on science and math (so you could say STEM before there was STEM, haha) for the last two years of high school.  It was absolutely the right experience for me.  I think you should at least go for it.  It was a new school at the time, and when you get that much brains along with that much flexibility, it's actually really cool.  There's this empowerment that you don't have once it gets all stodgy and institutionalized.  

• Like 2

Oh. I'm going to look for a stem school in our area. I would drive. It would need to be reserved for high school ( too many issues to work on and slow processing) but. My 11 y.o. is a whiz with electronics. Like he instinctively knows. He does all my phone and laptop stuff. I ask. How do you know that? He says I dunno, just do.

That is definitely an environment where he would thrive .

Glad I read this. Mental note for down the road. :)

• Like 3

And that's a good point that putting them in an environment that plays to their *strengths* might fix a lot.  Wow.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize this was my point until you spelled it out LOL.  Thank you!

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Good thing about what you're doing is...

If it doesn't work for w/e reason, you can always go back to the other school.

OTOH, if you don't take this opportunity with the new school now...you may never get it again.

I think you should be worried if you DIDNT have some anxiety about this.

It's tough and you want the beat for your son and all your kids.

Big hugs. Very exciting :)

• Like 2

I think it's more important to get him in with kids where he'll connect than it is to quibble over the drive.  

Maybe, maybe not. We pulled my son from a private school last year. He'd connected there and was doing okay, but the drive was nearly killing me! Literally--we saw some pretty nasty accidents on bad weather days. The hours I spent driving affected the rest of our family and my ability to homeschool the others.  The drive wasn't just on school days. There were activities on nights and weekends too, (because activities and friendships don't just take place during the school hours.) On top of that, (or perhaps, in part, because of it, who knows? I'm second guessing but exhaustion likely played a part) he developed some health issues. So then we worried about a child with some rather serious health concerns who was far away from us. Shortly after that, we said enough.  He's back to homeschooling again. And I needed this reminder today because it's not always easy to homeschool a child with special needs.

• Like 2

Me personally, I can imagine it would be emotional.

Big change and the uncertainty that goes along with.

Alot of times the anticipation of the event is worse than the event itself. Like worrying will it all work.

Amazing opportunity :) big leap and change. I'd say it's normal to feel this way.

Glad you got in.

:)

• Like 2

Merry gardens , we had some of that too.

My older on has some pretty significant health// respitory problems and the kids at school passing around bugs compliled it big-time. He was on way more steriods than I would have liked the first 7 years of his life.

For me, I just weighed the options/ opportunity and benefit. For us, the benefit was greater to keep in in school , til it wasn't anymore, if thst makes sense.

I brought both my guys home too but only after the benefit was not longer outweighing the bad stuff.

Only thing that seems to stay the same with kids lime ours is...change! Lol

Seems like its always reevaluating everything in our minds trying to keep the big picture in mind.

If I could find a stem school for when my guy was older I'd jump on it.

If there came a point where it no longer make sense. ...id pull him out.

Constant..... Evaluation lol :)

• Like 2

So they're IN at the STEM school?!?!  Just like that??  Wow!!!  

To me, there are nuances that make something worth that drive.  Like if it's an education level you couldn't provide at home or a peer set that was dramatically different from what he'd get locally.  That's different from oh it's just a school, even a nice school, kwim?  And around here, driving 40 minutes to school is the norm.  We have friends who do that even to go to a ps because that's just how it is in that part of the state that everyone has long drives.  And where we are, if you need a special something, same deal, you're going to drive.  

But I agree with Merry that just for a lateral slide, like ok homeschooling *or* the school could work, that gets really hard.  There's a school that would be a 40-60 minute drive from me that can do ASD + gifted and they're a very nice school.  But I agree that's a real serious thing to drive that far, and for us even with that, if we *can* make it work at home or with providers, that will be a lot saner.  There may come a point where that tips over for us.

• Like 2

That's so awesome. So happy for you :)

Really good thing you have 2 boys going. That should help your one guy a lil, his brother goi g too.

My older one won't do A THING without his younger brother. He has alot of social anxiety . he does good once he gets there tho, wherever thst is lol.

I so want to find what you have. When they are a little older and more caught up I'm gonna look.

Mine would do great there too.

So happy for you! :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...