Menu

Spelling Suggestions? (7th-Grade)

Hello! I'm looking for some suggestions for a new spelling course. We've used R&S since we started homeschooling (4 years now), but unfortunately, the 7th-grade book is just not working out. (I guess I should've read the description where it explains that the book's main focus is the study of Latin word elements.) Any suggestions on a similar spelling curriculum?

I used R&S Spelling through 6th grade.  For 7th grade, I am only using Word Wealth Junior for both vocabulary and spelling.  WWJ incorporates some spelling lessons, and I also keep a running list of words that my son misspells for extra practice.

WWJ is out of print but easily found on Amazon or other used book stores. 

We are using AAS. Level 7 covers some roots as well, not sure why that's objectionable? I think it's very helpful for understanding the English language and decoding difficult vocabulary (like on the SAT). I'm not sure how simple it would be to switch programs at this point, though, unless you have a pretty natural speller.

My 8th grader is working through How to Spell Workbook 4.  It's good. She does it independently, a lesson a day.  It won't take the whole year.

http://www.amazon.com/How-to-Spell-Book-4/dp/0838818544/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1447774599&sr=8-6&keywords=how+to+spell

Sorry, OP, to hijack thread, but I'm curious whether the manual is necessary or can this program be taught from the workbook alone? I'm thinking of book 1 for my first grader. I have AAS 1 & 2, but just can't bring myself to use them with her (too many pieces & parts). I think something workbook-driven will be more likely to get done.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Sorry, OP, to hijack thread, but I'm curious whether the manual is necessary or can this program be taught from the workbook alone? I'm thinking of book 1 for my first grader. I have AAS 1 & 2, but just can't bring myself to use them with her (too many pieces & parts). I think something workbook-driven will be more likely to get done.

Thanks in advance.

You can use just the manual to teach the lessons, if you want to work orally or via you dictating. You can use just the workbook and have the student work through the lessons on their own. Or you can use both.  We are doing the second, but note that I'm not doing "spelling tests" or "spelling dictation" - I'm just having her work through the rules and self-study/self-test.  If you want to do spelling tests, either words, phrases, or sentences, those are all in the TM, so you would need it.  That's the more standard use, and what I do with my younger dd.  I trust my 8th grader to work through it independently.  With her the goal is cementing/reviewing spelling rules and words that she personally finds hard to spell correctly, I'm not giving her "spelling tests."

• Like 1