Menu

Help us get started with Logic

I'm thinking of adding some simple logic.  It would be great if it was something they could do on their own (and look forward to doing).  ;)  I have a 5th grader and 8th grader.  Neither of them have really done any logic at this point.  What would you recommend?

My kids have enjoyed the Logic Safari and Logic Liftoff series of logic puzzles. Your 8th grader is also a good age to work through CAP's The Art of Argument, which teaches common fallacies of thinking. You could also use the Puzzle Baron website for grid logic problems.

These are all things we have used.

We have not used Critical Thinking Company's Building Thinking Skills series, but I think that I am going to purchase that for my son, who is about finished with Logic Safari but isn't ready for AoA.

• Like 1

Another vote for Logic Liftoff. Great series. Both of them will be able to do it (though a fifth grader may have trouble with the final book... just depends on the kid).

Also, play logic games if you're not already. Set, Mastermind, Iota, Rush Hour, Chess, etc. etc.

You might find these past threads helpful:

(s/o from Where's the Logic thread?) What if your child has never been exposed to this stuff? (the "why" of doing Logic)

What are you doing for Logic with a 6th grader? (specific resource suggestions)

Living Math equivalent for Logic? (specific resource suggestions)

Can you post your progression for teaching Logic?

Formal Logic  fail; now what? (specific resource suggestions)

Can someone educate me on Logic? (specific resource suggestions; middle school Logic progression suggestions)

What if I don't do formal Logic?

Does anyone do 3 hours/week of Logic in logic stage? And if not, how much is proper? (how much time people spend on Logic in middle school)

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions!  I've been looking into all of them.  I am planning on using The Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox next year for 9th grade, but thought it would be nice to introduce it this year.  Looking back, I guess she has done some logic puzzles over the last few years, but we haven't done anything regularly.  

Farrar, you just gave me lots of Christmas ideas with the board games list.  :)  I usually pick up a game or two as a family gift.

Also note that Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument aren't secular, though they're sometimes presented that way. 

We used AoA last year. We are Buddhist, and I don't remember anything that I considered not secular. I do know that the second edition removed the content that a lot of people objected to in the first edition.

This year we are using The Argument Builder, the follow-up to AoA. It is definitely not secular, and it's bothering my daughter. She was particularly honked off about some comments in the book about evolution. We are still going to finish it so I can award a logic credit from the two books combined, but I will have to do some serious investigating into Discovery of Deduction to decide whether we can continue with CAP's logic.

We used AoA last year. We are Buddhist, and I don't remember anything that I considered not secular. I do know that the second edition removed the content that a lot of people objected to in the first edition.

This year we are using The Argument Builder, the follow-up to AoA. It is definitely not secular, and it's bothering my daughter. She was particularly honked off about some comments in the book about evolution. We are still going to finish it so I can award a logic credit from the two books combined, but I will have to do some serious investigating into Discovery of Deduction to decide whether we can continue with CAP's logic.

I haven't used them... I just know that I briefly looked into them and then saw that enough people had complained though maybe I'm mixing AoA and Argument Builder up? That AoA comes from CAP is probably a clear enough warning that it *might* have Christian content, but the Bluedorns of Fallacy Detective have nothing on their site or write up about their books that explain their worldview which is why I feel like people should be told so they know what they're buying. Sounds like it's right for the OP though, so that's fine.

I just ordered Logic Countdown.  If it's too easy for DD, we'll get the next book, but I figured it would be on a good level for at least one of my kids!   :lol:  Mindbenders looks really good too, but Amazon doesn't carry it, so it will have to wait for my next RR order (which, of course, I just placed last week).  :rolleyes: