Menu

Prioritizing Treatment Advice post-Neuropsych exam?

suenos

Hi All. I have long mostly lurked on this board and benefited greatly from y'alls threads. I have the results of my DS 8's neuropsych exam and think I am ready to get perspectives on next steps.  Any thoughts/advice you have would be greatly appreciated.  I've been thinking about how to be most clear in this post/with my questions. I am surprised by how emotional I've been since DS's exam/getting the results, so I hope I've managed OK here. 

Ok - IQ test showed big gap between verbal and auditory (strong) and visual-spatial (very weak). Full IQ was average. Working memory - average, Processing Speed - impaired (75, 5%).  [VCI - 108/70%; PRI - 84 - 14%]

Report noted how much DS's lack of attention and hyperactivity interfered throughout. I was in the waiting room and can say that on a lot of tasks he was having trouble just focusing, following instructions, completing, etc. He did try! He was especially inattentive on the visual tasks/tests - so I don't know how much of that gap is due to that or a real difference/problem.  

He was in the 90% range for memory/learning tests - but again, big gap between auditory and verbal (superior) vs visual (low average to impaired). 

So here's the alphabet soup of diagnoses for DS (from this exam and previous evaluation/treatment):

ADHD - combined type, Sensory Processing Disorder, Specific Learning Disability - Reading (is this the same as saying "dyslexia" ?! - I am not sure!), Rule-Out ODD (I can't comment out this without spitting nails!) 

Recommendations from Neuropsych: Reading intervention, Auditory Processing Evaluation, Vision therapy evaluation, SPD treatment, ADHD - related behavioral stuff, Executive Function work. 

If anyone wants more info on exact tests/results that might have comments or insights, I'm happy to give them, just didn't want this post to get too long! Probably failed there...

So where would you start?  

DS is homeschooled, has been since 6 (after a try at Kinder).  He is very resistant to learning to read, and wouldn't complete the full reading evaluation in the exam. We have been using Logic of English Foundations - he is struggling through level B right now. I was not surprised by the reading disability dx. Sigh. 

No meds for ADHD - tried them and they did.not.help (did stimulant and non-stimulant trials). Known about ADHD/SPD for a long time, but never done formal therapy for SPD.  

In particular - OT for SPD and Vision Therapy would be out-of-pocket and expensive.  If you had to choose - which would you start with? 

I've been reading the many threads on neuropsych evals and results - thanks in advance for contributing to another one!!!

• Like 1

Just my two cents, as someone just recently starting out on this journey, I'd get him eval'd for vision therapy to see if that's part of the issue, before you decide one way or the other. Convergence or other vision issues could cause a lot of the issues you've mentioned (including inattention!), and if there are indeed problems I think it's probably critical to begin therapy to see those areas improve. OT can be great, and sensory integration is important, but you can do a lot of sensory work at home for little to no money, and reassess what's necessary after a vision eval.

• Like 4

Compliance with VT was an issue at our house---he literally couldn't hold it together to comply with directions in VT.  If he were my kid....I'd try starting with OT to do a bit of sensory stuff to get a sensory diet in place and to get him more organized so that VT is a possibility.  Checking for retained primitive reflexes would be my first stop---so much of progression academically and physically is dependent on having those basic foundational skills in place. While you're doing that, get scheduled for an APD eval and take him through the Barton pre-test.  That said, my advice is based on my experience with my kids. I'm interested to hear what others offer up!

Just my two cents, as someone just recently starting out on this journey, I'd get him eval'd for vision therapy to see if that's part of the issue, before you decide one way or the other. Convergence or other vision issues could cause a lot of the issues you've mentioned (including inattention!), and if there are indeed problems I think it's probably critical to begin therapy to see those areas improve. OT can be great, and sensory integration is important, but you can do a lot of sensory work at home for little to no money, and reassess what's necessary after a vision eval.

I agree. Our own personal experience was that VT was a springboard for major improvements in overall coordination and motor skills. I suspect it integrated some retained reflexes in my older son. His visions issues were incredibly minor compared to some kids, if that gives you any idea of the magnitude of the therapy. Our VT was 1:1 half an hour in the office per week with 15 or so minutes of daily homework. The homework is crucial to completing VT in reasonable time. Our therapist worked on a lot of biiateral coordination along with the vision stuff (this office sees it pretty much as both problems come from the same source).

• Like 2

Thank so much for y'alls insights! .I am concerned about compliance with VT type work and the ability to cooperate with potential VT therapy.  I've been making phone calls, finding out costs and options and such for both...

For the sensory integration therapy prairiewind - how do you think the therapy helped get your dc 'organized'?  I know my DS has sensory issues - he seeks input, constantly taps, bounces against an exercise ball, likes "squeezy hugs", seems to need touch, would like to just wear underwear only - but will definitely not wear restrictive clothing or socks with shoes, can get overwhelmed with noisy/bright/crowded places or situations, etc. So I've learned about things to help him, but idk - the integration / therapy / organization seems kind of woo-ey to me?  As in, I wonder if the time with a therapist will help him overcome issues (treat) or just give him/us tools to help him deal with the issues (i.e. the processing problem is always there).  Hope my questions here make sense - I am not opposed, just wondering.  

So, with sensory issues, it's like the body needs certain types of input so that it can relax and the brain can think and function. When my son gets the sensory input that he needs, he's comes to a place where he can participate and learn.  As the need for sensory work increases throughout the day, we provide that input again, and again he comes back to a place where he can learn.  Sensory work is a biological need--it's literally like their brain wiring is different than ours, but we have the ability through input and therapy to try to move them back to a place of "better" wiring.

• Like 1

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/13914-hierarchy-of-therapy/?hl=%2Bhierarchy+%2Btherapies&do=findComment&comment=4595287

This was helpful in guiding my family over the years as we tackled a lot of therapies,cognitive training and academic interventions for my daughter from age 5/6 to now 14 years old.  

"You seem to be on the right track. Here are the guidelines for the "bottom-up" developmental model that I believe is the most likely to achieve optimal remediation.

First level are sensory therapies and language -- ST, motor therapies (OT, NeuroNet, Interactive Metronome), auditory therapies (TLP, FFW), NeuroNet (OT), and vision therapy (begun towards the end of OT). Sports and athletics are good to start here also -- swimming, therapeutic horseback riding, gymnastics, martial arts being among the most beneficial.

Middle level is cognitive skills training. The best programs available today are probably LearningRx and PACE.

Academic remediation is the last step. You can start reading remediation programs earlier, even while doing even sensory-level therapies, and it's a good idea especially to start working on phonemic awareness skills that early. However, it is usually after all the above therapies have been completed, including cognitive skills training, that you see the most optimal academic learning (including reading skills).

These are like big circles of development and can overlap. The above is just a generalized ordering of therapeutic interventions. Doing them in this order does not guarantee that full academic remediation will take place. However, IMO it does optimize your chances for that."    Claire was the poster with these suggestions.

We used Brainware Safari and Building Thinking Skills Books for cognitive training purposes.  Our OT did Therapeutic Listening along with proprioceptive and vestibular work. We worked with many SLP's and did Earobics at home as well as LiPs for phonemic awareness and APD issues. We started with VT when she was 9/10 years old and then from there moved into a O-G reading program. 

• Like 1

You need the right VT.  I took my son for a consult ---- and honestly, he never could have been compliant at that practice.  

About 6 months later, I found out about another practice, that is not listed on the COVD page, where I heard that they do a lot more to make things go smooth for kids.  

You CAN look around for the practice that will do better in that regard.  It might not be enough, but you can hope.  

For individual reasons, my son didn't do VT other than the consult (the nature of services available here, his specific issues, the fact that our insurance would pay 100% for OT and 0 for VT after the initial appointment, etc.)   

On the treat or manage question, I think that in the short-term a lot of things are looking at management.  But in the long-term, a lot of kids improve, too.  It is just not fast.  But kids can learn and grow so much better when things are managed, in every area.  So it is an investment in a lot of ways.  But I would not expect to much obvious or immediate improvement.  It is great when it happens, but it is not something that I think you can expect too much.  

Ok - IQ test showed big gap between verbal and auditory (strong) and visual-spatial (very weak). Full IQ was average. Working memory - average, Processing Speed - impaired (75, 5%).  [VCI - 108/70%; PRI - 84 - 14%]

Report noted how much DS's lack of attention and hyperactivity interfered throughout. 

He was in the 90% range for memory/learning tests - but again, big gap between auditory and verbal (superior) vs visual (low average to impaired). 

Recommendations from Neuropsych: Reading intervention, Auditory Processing Evaluation, Vision therapy evaluation, SPD treatment, ADHD - related behavioral stuff, Executive Function work. 

In your shoes, my priority would be finding an OG reading tutor who is trained in LiPS.  They will address a lot of the auditory issues in addition to the reading portion.  This is where we found the greatest improvement.  Once the frustration level decreased, everything else became easier to handle.

My second priority would be SPD therapy.  Once your child learns how to control their reaction to all of the input from the world, they will be much better able to control their impulses which will help with all of the behavioral issues.  There are lots of great books out there if you want to self-educate.  Start with The Out of Sync Child.  Our therapist taught us a brushing technique that was very helpful, and gave us a ton of physical tools that made a world of difference.  

You can get the auditory processing and vision therapy evaluations after you start tutoring/therapy.  Those results will be important to your therapists, but not having them shouldn't delay beginning the process.

After that I'd work on executive function issues.  Do a lot of self-education for this one too.  I really like The Impulsive Disorganized Child by James Forgan  

(Personal side note: We wasted time hoping that VT would offer amazing results.  It was helpful, but not even half as valuable as reading remediation. - VT can't replace tutoring)

(Personal side note: We wasted time hoping that VT would offer amazing results.  It was helpful, but not even half as valuable as reading remediation. - VT can't replace tutoring)

I should note that our amazing VT results were in motor skills and later success with OT, not academic (we weren't having trouble in academic areas related to VT). BUT, our optometrist was very surprised that it had not interfered with his reading. It had interfered with any sports that relied on a ball moving closer to him. The results of the VT included gains in OT areas. 

I have known people whose kids could not read until they had VT--their visual issues meant their kids could not see what they needed to in order to read. Reading just didn't happen prior to VT. (After the first kid had issues, they all got exams proactively so that issues could be solved earlier.)

When I recommend looking into VT first, I should probably clarify that i would prioritize a COVD exam and get a written report--it's probably the most straightforward part of the equation, and you have to see to read. Have the COVD demonstrate the difficulties if they are there. Fill out a symptom list (the child may be seeing double and not know it, or think it's normal). Then decide if it's interfering with school enough to make the therapy a first priority. You might not find anything is wrong at all, and then you don't have to worry about OT/VT order. If a problem exists, then you have to decide between OT and VT. I would ask what kinds of therapies they do--not all of them are the same; I think our VT does a lot more brain integration than other COVDs might do (from talking to folks), and that may be why we had such amazing results that carried into OT.

I think tutoring needs to go wherever it makes sense related to the child's functioning. And a good tutor might be able to work on some related skills to build groundwork even if vision is a serious problem.

VT worked wonders here, too, in so many unexpected areas keeping stuff organized, personal care (grooming), unbelievable reduction in SPD hypersensitivities, getting school work done, etc. Yes, she's still hyper but can control herself better. Attention is much better, too. I'd like her to do OT but she's against it. I won't push it right now since things are going very well.

Some people need OT before VT, and I thought we'd be the same. I didn't expect compliance and neither did the optometrist after our first visits but we got very impressive compliance after all. Everything just started working better so quickly with VT.

It's late and I'm jumping fast.  You need to do the OT eval first, both because he may have some retained primitive reflexes that will make the VT ineffective *and* because it will make him more comfortable in his own skin and able to work better.  At least get 3 months of OT before starting the VT.  

Yes, SLD reading *is* dyslexia.  So dump LOE and move over to Barton or hire a tutor.  Get something meant for dyslexia.  Have you done the Barton pretest yet?  I'm incredibly partial to Barton, but hiring a tutor is fine too.  Again, honestly, I'd get some OT *before* you go paying $50+ an hour for tutoring, kwim?  Some OT will get his body in a MUCH better place.  

Those vision scores are concerning, so I'm not saying not do VT.  I'm a HUGE fan of VT for kids who need it.  You could have multiple things going on there even.  Like what you could do is go ahead and get a basic eval, just the $60 annual thing, with a COVD doc.  Ask them to screen for the extra stuff.  That way you know if there isn't an obvious explanation like needing glasses.  And while you're doing that, make tracks on the OT.  But don't start VT until you have some OT under your belt.  I would say 3 months, just because a really effective OT could make some difference in where he's at with himself in 3 months.

Make sure the OT is giving you homework.  That's another reason to do some bodywork before doing a lot of tutoring, because the bodywork will take time too.

Now I'm saying that, and actually I was able to get my ds through Barton 1-3 before we began OT.  We did Focus Moves/School Moves, some BalavisX stuff, metronome work, etc.  He was just extremely challenging to teach before we began OT.  Within a month he started calming down.  That's why I'm saying, to me, get the OT going, let this sort of slowly build.  OT is going to make EVERYTHING more possible.

Ok, I'm skimming the responses.  The variety is interesting.  But you know, what it points out is that you sort of have to triage.  Like what is MOST concerning you or MOST making things hard right now?  If behavior is the WORST THING right now, then obviously the OT moves forward while you research the other things.  There's not really a wrong answer on that, just choices.

PS.  Look into Therapeutic Listening.  Hopefully the OT you pick will have it.  We're doing a bunch of things on my ds, but that one is the most profound.  

I would look for a good OT first, both because I think meeting those needs will help most with the other things and because an experienced OT is likely to be able to refer you to good practitioners in the other areas. We had an extremely disappointing VT experience personally, I was very unimpressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the help y'all!  I spent a day making calls, researching and thinking through a plan.  Lecka, thanks for your thoughts on the treat/manage.  It is a long-term thing for DS, we've been feeling our way for some time now. I have hesitated to go overboard - I don't want to turn everything and our whole lives into problems/therapies.  But I think I've been a teensy bit head-in-the-sand about it. I guess I expected the neuropsych eval to point me in some directions and give me more info on what kinds of strengths/challenges DS has. But I didn't expect to be so impacted by the realization of just how much DS' inability to focus and need for physical movement is affecting him.  It seems ridiculous - I know exactly how much that affects him and his life on one level - but the testing experience and the results have just made me really confront it and re-think how I want to approach trying to help him with it.   

So it sounds like both OT and VT should be on the table.  VT is a lot more expensive, if DS needs it.  So, I'm going to move forward with getting started with a good OT and we'll do the COVD evaluation and see what the results are, but likely put that on the back burner for a while and first see what OT does. 

I'm really struggling with what to do on the reading front. DS has struggled so much - he does not want to read. It's heartbreaking really - he loves stories, loves when we read to him, wants to act out anything we read that is interesting to him... But he avoids like the plague things that he finds really difficult, and it has been a real struggle for him.  He has come so far - but he beats himself up if he can't do something right. (In the past, literally.  Slowly, but surely, he is not hitting himself in the head anymore when upset/frustrated..).  I had to first convince him that we love ugly letters in this house to get him to be willing to try to write anything at all...It took quite a while before he'd try to write without getting upset at the results/process and/or just refuse.  I still don't have him convinced that it's ok to sound out words and not get it right the first time. So I'm just not sure he is in a place to do regular, intensive practice....but I think he will have to and I don't know how long I'd want to put it off...

OE I've been looking at bigger guns for reading for some time now, so Barton was on my radar. I just need to decide when to get started. And I appreciate your point about getting him in a better place to be able to learn - if OT could significantly help with that, I'd be overjoyed!  When you started with the first levels of Barton - how much time did you spend on it each week and in a session?  DS' attention span right now is about 10 - 15 minutes - maybe longer if activities change or it's going smoothly.  I'll do the pre-test and maybe email Barton about placement...  

Watched a video y'all linked in another thread of an interview with Susan Barton - what an amazing advocate!   - VInNY thanks for sending me to the thread on hierarchy of treatments -- reading through older threads, I'm struck by how helpful and supportive this group is!  

Your posts are not too long.  :)  If they rambled, they'd be too long. They're just informative.  :D

Um, on the COVD eval they can do two kinds, the annual (inexpensive) and the developmental vision ($$$$$).  I'm suggesting you start with that annual one.  That way you know if you like the doc before investing money.  Gives you time also to get feedback from others who have used that doc for VT.  Some VT docs will tell you that from their perspective dyslexia is a vision problem.   :svengo:   So if you just walk in the door and say dyslexia, you could get an earful.  That does not mean he doesn't need VT or that he's a total idiot.  Don't ask your eye doc to be a psych, kwim?  You know he has some vision issues going on, but those could be rooted in some retained primitive reflexes.  Get an OT to check those, then you'll know.  Then you're sort of prioritizing, because you're treating one major physical cause of vision problems and midline problems and then going back to let VT clean up what remains.  That's tidy.

My dd had a wicked rough time with her VT.  It helped her immensely, but I'm just saying doing OT first can help a lot with that.  And here I was just trying to say don't do the long eval first, just the short one and asking to screen.  Oops.   :smilielol5:

Yup, I think you'll get the reading back on track when you get dyslexia-specific materials that are bringing things into reach.  It's really all about a positive work dynamic.  When the steps are so small, so doable, that he can have SUCCESS, then he's a rock star.  Then you get this positive thing going.  And it's ok that he's not reading, because at least he's moving forward with something where he WILL be reading eventually.

Yes, we broke those early levels of Barton (1-3) into 4 sessions a day of 10-15 min.  It's very doable that way.  One "lesson" is quite long, with material that could take days or a week (or more) depending on the age.  That 4 session a day thing is really a push level of instruction.  It might not be where you stay all the time forever.  But for a while, for a few months, WITH HEAVY REWARDS, sure go for it!  I gave my ds a prize any day he did all 4 sessions with me.  It was very motivating to him, so that worked.  Right now he's volunteering to read the Barton 3 supplemental readers, so again I incentivize, letting him earn tokens for each chapter (2-3 short pages) and a prize for 5-10 tokens.  Because they're kids, because their memories are short, because it's fun to have a chance to reward them and to give them success and change the dynamic in our homes.  :)

You're doing the right things.  You're asking how you can take this information and make radical changes.  Go for it!  If you order Barton (after doing the pre-test and talking placement with her, obviously), you'll have it in a couple weeks.  Then you'll probably read it.  Then you'll realize it's like right in the middle of your Christmas celebrations.  So maybe give the pretest now, do your research on OT now, get OT going, but maybe don't actually anticipate getting much going with your reading instruction before January.  That would be ok.  If he needs LIPS first (he might) it will take you a while to read it and learn how to use it.  Or, maybe you're planning on hiring a tutor.  That's fine too and that could be started sooner.  But a month or two of good OT might chill some things down slightly and make those sessions more effective.  I just know my ds and how much his body is in motion.  He's EXTREMELY hard to work with without the interventions.  If that's what you're dealing with, give yourself permission to get that under control a bit for a month or two while you work on laerning the other stuff and getting your ducks in a row.  My ds this year seems to have more of his year be about staying in "ready to learn" than anything.

And yes, head in the sand is rough.  Or like we're so used to it we don't realize how far he was diverging from his peers.  Is he doing anything with his peers like some sports?  My ds takes classes at the Y, and they've been very good to us here.  He's learning a ton on a lot of levels, and it definitely helps with some of the movement and sensory seeking.  In his case it also allows us to work on rigidity, because no two days are the same.  He gets stuck on things like which bathroom we use, etc. etc.  Just something to look into.  A boys gymnastics program would be a great place to start.  My ds does both gymnastics and swimming at the Y. 

• Like 1

I'll be really interested if getting good OT for sensory helps DS with his "bounciness."  I guess, given how he is and how not much has seemed to help with that, I'm skeptical.  But I've decided to give it a go and stick with it for long enough. 

DS started playing soccer - he has difficulties in groups, especially structured/class situations. But he convinced us to sign him up.  He's done better than expected.  We got the shin guard issue mostly fixed (he had trouble tolerating the shin guards/socks for the whole game/practice). The agreement was if he could finish the soccer season, we'd look into gymnastics.  So far, he's held up his end of the bargain.  So that's on the agenda for after the holidays.  We are definitely supportive of DS doing more activities/exercise/groups - but he has often not been able to get along and not finished in the past.  So this time, as he's getting older, we put more of the onus on him for being responsible for it.  No high bar, just communicating if/when he has difficulties (so we can help fix issues - such as shin guards or what-have-you) and trying his best to cooperate/follow instructions. 

One thing I have noted, that I need to be more routine about, is how much better DS is at focused work following real exercise - even if it's just 5 minutes on the mini-trampoline and 10 up/downs on the stairs or the like. 

I am thinking about delaying starting a new reading program (probably Barton) until we see if we can make some headway with attention/hyper issues - either through OT/VT.  I have had DS trying to read some days and his body is so all over the place and bouncing up and down that I can't figure out how he could see a word to sound it out! Sometimes I can reign him in, but some times it's just a lost 'cause :tongue_smilie:  Do y'all think there is any real disadvantages of waiting?  Say 3 months or so?   

My ds is 7, and he started OT this summer.  Within a month there were slight changes, and within a couple months he became MUCH easier to work with.  OTs just vary, what techniques they've learned varies (it's all in what workshops they've gone to), and of course what the dc needs varies.  If you haven't had an OT eval yet, sure go ahead and get one.  I keep saying this, but our current OT, who works with schools and does some private, is MUCH more goal-oriented than other OTs we've seen.  The ps IEP process forces them to do this.  In the schools they're ACCOUNTABLE for results.  Some of these private OTs are sort of voodoo.  Do that in the ps and you lose your job.  ;)  

My ds is getting:

Therapeutic Listening

RMT for retained reflexes

BalavisX

neurofeedback (zengar)  

kinesio taping

The kinesio taping has a *profound* effect on him.  The TL has been great.  The RMT is a mild effect on behavior but was necessary for functional reasons (the reflexes were actually giving him problems).  The BalavisX is supposedly good and I just roll with it.  When we were doing it at home it *definitely* made a dent.  Before we started OT, we could do 15 minutes of BalavisX or 15 minutes of School Moves/Focus Moves and get him *enough* together for a while that he could work.  Doing that we could get our Barton done.  

What you could do is get the eval (since it will take you a while to find someone and get in), get your Barton ordered (have you even done the pretest to see if he's ready?), learn your Barton or LIPS materials, and begin more in earnest in January.  But you know just roll with it.  I don't think you have to try NOT to do things, lol.  All these things take time to get into, so they naturally stagger themselves.  You may hate your first OT or find them worthless.  Are you willing to wait on Barton while that process unfolds?  I doubt it.  

The Focus Moves book I used is available as an ebook on amazon for under $10.  It was just enough to hold my ds together to be able to do some work.  Kinesio taping I have linked to before.  Rock Tape has great videos on their site, and we're using the video for taping on their *back*.  AMAZING results and you see the change like SHAZAM.  $10 for a roll of tape and you can try it.  

I'm just saying those things might get you just enough progress (not replacing OT, but some instant progress) that you can get going on your Barton.  That way you can research, talk with OTs, pick someone, wait to get in, blah blah.  

As far as the sports, what people point out to me, everywhere I take ds, is his issue with waiting.  His gymnastics coach basically said don't put him in a sport that involves waiting around a field with nothing happening (baseball!).  With gymnastics, he can be on a kindle or something when he's not doing something at the meet.  In practice, they coach sets up stations so they are all either working or assisting/observing.  You can also have issues with self-advocating, where he might not have the words.  Definitely my ds is learning a lot with social skills, turn taking, etc.  The gymnastics is nice because I can sit in the peanut gallery and observe.  Sometimes I'll video tape behaviors, and that would be something that could help your ds.  You could video tape the behavior and *show* it to him and go through the teaching process: when you do this, they feel this, I need you to do this.  

I haven't talked labels with my ds at all, but he came to me asking why kids didn't like playing with him.  I told him the problem was social skills and we would work on it. So now, when he does things, I tell him that's a social skill, we're going to work on it.  (To even get in his mind that this is a PROBLEM.)  Anyways, Zones of Regulation has lessons and frameworks to use videos to work on behaviors.  If you can observe, it can help you create teachable moments.  I have done a lot of prompting with my ds (prompting to reply to conversations, etc.).  Sometimes he needs help with anger over something.  

Soccer would be good cardio.  My ds LOVES running.  Like put him on the track team loves running.  But gymnastics is good for all the CRASHING and heavy sensory input.  When I was first researching this, I found an article I didn't save (sorry) basically with research showing that *social* development is DIRECTLY LINKED to *physical* development.  Now I wish I had spent more time reading the paper, because I don't have all the answers to questions I have.  Like is that that by getting them IN these physical development classes they get more opportunity to work directly on social skills?  After all, school isn't the ideal place.  Lots of it is herd interaction, not really on the spot.  In a small class, before class, after class, it's very on the spot.  His classes are typically 4 kids or less.  He can't just hide and be part of the herd.  Or is it that physical development actually gets some of that bilateral stuff going in the brain so that the brain develops more?  They're finding these kids have issues with peripheral vision and noticing.  So when we do sports and physical stuff, are we improving their *noticing* so they can notice things?  Oh probably.  Are we improving proprioception so they realize they're whacking people?  Probably.  Are they in with people with common interests, thereby making it EASIER to develop social relationships and have conversations and interactions?  Probably.

That's great that your ds is able to focus better after some physical work!  Those things you listed, like stairs, trampoline, those are great!  You can also do cross-body stuff, things with balls, etc.  He might really enjoy the Focus Moves book, and it's super, super easy to implement.  Focus Moves: Integrated Activities for Collaboration  Here's that ebook.  If you decide to go for it, buzz me a pm and I'll send you the dropbox link with my files to make it a snap.  I just printed them and put them in page protectors.  You could have a routine, like 10 minutes of tramp/stairs, work, snack, 10 minutes Focus moves, work, lunch, quiet time, 10 minutes something else (cross crawl, balavisX, yoga for kids, whatever you have handy), work.  

RockTape Kinesiology Tape for Athletes (2-Inch x 16.4...  This is the tape I'm using.  Technically I'm using the waterproof version because we're in the pool 4X a week.  This stuff will stay on for a whole week.  You only use a 6" strip on a little kid (split it lengthwise), so it lasts a LONG time.

OhE - thanks for replying with specifics on what you've got working with your DS!  I hear you on finding a good, accountable OT. We did a round with an OT on our insurance.  Not helpful. At all. I called it quits when she was using shame in her repertoire - "you're 7, you should be able to tie your shoes."  I don't believe in sugar coating everything...but that set him back on being willing to try by months.  :glare:

I've got calls in to two OTs that have solid recommendations - no hooey, I don't think. I went on an expert strike a while back...now I'm ready to plunge in again, and this time hopefully I've got more experience to know what's worth the time and effort, not to mention money. 

I'll check out the Focus Moves book and send you a message - thanks!!!  I can totally geek out on research articles...that's a really interesting question about the physical/social development link - seems  research findings often still have the chicken/egg problem - like with dyslexia and MRI differences - which came first, the difference in brain wiring/function or the years without reading fluently? 

I guess I'm gun shy on the reading.  I appreciate your input on how you broke down the lessons into smaller chunks.  Right now, DS does.not.want.to.read. And I find that when reading is my focus, we miss out on other stuff/fun stuff/stuff he is more successful on - kwim?  Obviously we will have to address it, and it will take a lot of consistent practice over months/years.  I just wonder if I can get him on board with it. Some early success - much less Rockstar action! - would be great and help a lot I think. 

Thinking out loud here - hope y'all don't mind.  Getting the eval back has just had me really, really re-thinking what we're doing with DS!

I think reading and doing the lessons are two separate things.  You can make lessons go better by having curriculum that gives you small enough steps that they're always doable.  Some kids have a high frustration point.  Some kids make leaps.  Our kids aren't those kids.  Our kids need things broken into tiny steps so every step is small enough that it's doable.  You haven't had that yet.  

I think if you get lessons doable, you'll BOTH be encouraged.  Barton herself says stop pushing reading at all till you're through Barton 4.  

Does he have something for audiobooks?  That's my cover your butt.  Get him a kindle fire or something for Christmas and get him all the audiobooks he wants!  :)

Yes, he really has to get to do other things besides his disability stuff.  

Well keep pressing on!  You sound like you're thinking clearly!  :)

• Like 2

OhE - thanks for replying with specifics on what you've got working with your DS!  I hear you on finding a good, accountable OT. We did a round with an OT on our insurance.  Not helpful. At all. I called it quits when she was using shame in her repertoire - "you're 7, you should be able to tie your shoes."  I don't believe in sugar coating everything...but that set him back on being willing to try by months.  :glare:

Ok, this is way OT, but I've gotten 'feedback' several times on my almost 7 yo not being able to tie her own shoes -- and I just think "whaaat?"  -- this is so not on my radar for "potential issue" due to her lack of chance to practice but apparently there are a lot of people out there who consider it 'the' way to tell if a kid is having 'problems'.

One person, who gave me quite a hard time about this, said 'How can you stand to tie her shoes all the time?' and I answered 'I can count the number of times I have had to tie her shoes on one hand' (um, velcro? anyone else heard of this newfangled invention?).

My ds learned to tie his shoes at a pretty typical time (5/6), and my dd didn't really start tying hers consistently till 10, also about the time she learned to ride a bike.  He has more labels, but she was later, go figure.  If my OT had shamed my kid like that, my jaw woulda dropped so hard it mighta hit the gas pedal and never gone back.  Our kids deserve better.  They deserve the assumption that they ARE trying hard, and that if they COULD, they WOULD.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1