Menu

Anyone do Classical Stretch/Eccentrics? What has your experience been?

Laurie4b

A friend I was visiting recently showed me a classical stretch DVD. I think I am in pretty good shape but it was really working my leg muscles. I have read some more about it and watched some short segments on youtube. 

Can anyone share your experience with this program? I wouldn't be using it as a stand-alone program. I love my Zumba and hiking too much and am committed to weight training. But I am thinking about adding this in. I have a friend for whom this might be perfect who doesn't have an exercise routine at all, so if you do it as a stand-alone, I'd love to hear that experience as well. 

I ordered the Season 8 Age Defying Series not that long ago. Due to a hectic month, I have only done one 30 minute stretch so far. I am very out of shape and couldn't do it all, but I could do a lot of it and it felt really good to stretch. I plan on starting to do an episode a day starting Monday (maybe before). I will be able to comment more in a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can answer this question. At forty-seven I am starting to lose flexibility quickly. I have done Jillian Michaels on and off in the past. I like it but can't say I think it is the best thing for this age. I couldn't put a finger on it, but I knew some things she asks people to do wouldn't be the best for all bodies. After a few weeks, although I would feel great, I would l feel like a tight rubber band if that makes sense. Something seemed to be missing.

I learned about Classical Stretch here where I lurk (scary, huh?). I forgot to mention that my husband fell and broke his back a few years ago and arthritis is setting in. He said to order them if I though they would work. I checked out the videos and after a couple weeks of debate ordered Season 7.

I think it is fantastic. I have been doing it almost daily for two months now. The workouts range from 20-25 minutes. There is quite a bit of movement taken from tai chi which I never really understood before. She gives good explanations and is real down to earth. I would really like to meet her, and I have never said that about an exercise guru before. My flexibility is greatly increasing and all through my day I am smiling as I realize the series of movements she puts you through are just exaggerated versions of what we ask our body to do each day.

I look back now and see I was on the edge of someplace I never want to be. An example would be If there was a mess on the floor, I was starting to drop a damp cloth and let my foot do the majority of cleaning before bending and swiping it up with my hand. Overreaching for out of reach things would make me pause and question if that was going to be sore later. Writing that makes me reflect that that may seem pretty lame, but I assure you I am on the move the better part of my day. I just wasn't making my body do enough extra stretching to make regular activity effortless. Also, I have suffered from a shoulder problem since high school sports. This is the first time EVER since the injury that my arms and shoulder feel great. Classical Stretch makes me work my arms harder and in a way that Jillian Michaels never has.

All that being said, it can be monotonous after a while, but what I get out of it cancels that feeling. I will definitely be ordering more seasons. I may also order a tai chi video out of curiosity even though I think most those workouts are much longer. I find myself watching older people now and asking myself what Classical Stretch could do for them to enhance their daily movements. So much of it is physical therapy movements and would help them greatly.

How's that for a too long review?!

• Like 4